Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Endo and Kobayashi's first episode is good and I hope they continue strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

not like for real mad. i dont think anyone truly thought itd happen

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

The Islamic Shock posted:

This will probably get interesting fast since the fairy pretty obviously could've just killed her while she was sleeping.

If by interesting you mean lame, because his motivation to care about his owner in any capacity is that she reminds him of a dead woman he knew/loved.

I had some interest in the show to see how it would handle things but so far find the lead grating for reasons unrelated to her being accurately depicted as ignorant and shallow in her well-meaning attitude towards fairies. At the least, that's the one beat you want to hit in a story like this. Aside from that, the tone seems kinda all over the place in a bad way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Insurrectionist posted:

Personally I watched all of Eva when I was 13 and thought it was ok. I then watched half of Cowboy Bebop and dropped it. Finished Wolf's Rain though, hell yeah, good year of anime.

gently caress, that was 20 years ago now. I had a friend at the time with decent internet access who'd download Wolf's Rain and burn it to DVD-R's for me so I could watch it at home which I thought was super cool since only a few years earlier the only way I could access stuff like that was at anime club meetings when I was at uni, where someone would bring in a blurry VHS with awful awful fansubs and we'd book a room with a TV and crowd around to watch it. I think I still have the Wolf's Rain DVD-Rs around here somewhere, they're probably chock full of old Limewire viruses.

STRAY-EE-AY! STRAY-EE-AYY-EE-AYYY-EEE-AAAY!!!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna read the LN of the fairy show and report back on if it's AIDS or not.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not the worst thing I've ever read but like a lot of light novels it's just genre fiction without even the pretense of having a point. Also the art is pretty generic and whatever.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Patware posted:

i will watch the first two episodes of this weird pervert anime and decide based on that if it is for the wrong type of perverts for something awful dot com

i am ten minutes in and this is extremely loving dire.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hate Hidive's habit of making it look like an episode is up then going 'teehee sorry come back in two days'.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Endo and Kobayashi seems fine but it also doesn't seem to be doing anything different enough from the manga (unlike MagiRevo) for me to bother watching it. Maybe if it catches up to where the manga scanlation is.

The comedy and characters in Buddy Daddies fell pretty flat for me. Maybe it'll be better once the daughter is actively involved in stuff, so I guess I'll give it another episode.

Great Beasts of Ars' first episode was interesting and had enough intriguing stuff there to make me want to keep watching, so it's going on the weekly list. The show feels like early 10s anime stylistically, but I can't quite place my finger on why (it's not the character designs or the general artstyle); maybe it's just because it's a fantasy show with a protagonist who isn't reincarnated as a 16 year old.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 15, 2023

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Great Beasts of Ars' first episode was interesting and had enough intriguing stuff there to make me want to keep watching, so it's going on the weekly list. The show feels like late 00s anime stylistically, but I can't quite place my finger on why (it's not the character designs or the general artstyle); maybe it's just because it's a fantasy show with a protagonist who isn't reincarnated as a 16 year old.

It also has a catgirl*

*a girl with a cat strapped to her head :confused:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Trigun is out.

Will probably make a thread when I'm done with the first ep.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

1st ep of Trigun was pretty good. I'm down to keep up with it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Just came here to say the same. Orange knows how to make CG anime look easy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Trigun was good, yes, and I am now an expert on Trigun having seen the first episode of the original and nothing else

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Episode was good. Interested to see where they go with it because they're being extremely upfront with Vash's relationship to the PLANTs, his robot arm and his relationship with Knives.

Borderlands took more than a little inspiration from Trigun so it's neat how this version feels like it's cribbing back from Borderlands, visually at least.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the only anime to ask what if there was a trigun

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

it's neat seeing how this version feels like it's cribbing back from Borderlands, visually at least.

mmm dont like that statement chief

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021406

Try guns.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As someone who really liked at least the gameplay of Borderlands when he was younger, I disagree that this episode had that much in common with it even visually.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's going in a pretty different direction (I only vaguely remember the original Trigun but it was definitely incredibly 90s) but I like the dynamic they've set up. I had my doubts about the CG but it looks really good in action.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
OP updated :toot:

quote:

Trigun Stampede
Orange | Kenji Mutou | Shin Okashima | Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi | Manga | Jan 7, 2023
TRIGUN is a popular Japanese gun-action manga series created by Yasuhiro Nightow. It follows the fated journey of Vash the Stampede, a legendary gunman and a pacifist with a bounty on his head. And now, it will be reborn as a brand-new original anime series, TRIGUN STAMPEDE, in 2023.
PV
Thread

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cel shaded desert with detailed guns, bird aliens and dune buggies.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Arc Hammer posted:

Episode was good. Interested to see where they go with it because they're being extremely upfront with Vash's relationship to the PLANTs, his robot arm and his relationship with Knives.

See, all those revelations are my problem with it. The look is... Fine. It's fine, it's a choice and I'm ok with it, but cramming all those big secrets into the first episode, even before the credits? That rubbed me the wrong way. I mean I'll keep watching but like... Not a great start from my POV.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Trigun Stampede is real good, I'm glad it's trying something new instead of just being a more accurate adaption of the manga. I rarely follow anime on a weekly basis these days but I'm gonna make an exception for this.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lemon-Lime posted:

Great Beasts of Ars' first episode was interesting and had enough intriguing stuff there to make me want to keep watching, so it's going on the weekly list. The show feels like late 00s/early 10s anime stylistically, but I can't quite place my finger on why (it's not the character designs or the general artstyle); maybe it's just because it's a fantasy show with a protagonist who isn't reincarnated as a 16 year old.
yeah, i was thinking similar, it felt like a late-90s original fantasy concept. much less clunky expository 'this is the setting and its concepts' dialogue than the usual isekais, which was nice. seems interesting!

also lol at narration vs image choice for the next ep preview:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arc Hammer posted:

Borderlands took more than a little inspiration from Trigun so it's neat how this version feels like it's cribbing back from Borderlands, visually at least.

it's more like trigun inspired codehunters and then borderlands ripped codehunters off

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i wanted to like Ars becuase its got the akudama drive / gakkougurashi writer but it's got that sloppy timing/editing that plagues a lot of rushed modern anime productions, which really bugs me when you can feel the seams like that. plus it just doesnt have a particularly good hook. it'll probably go for a big twist at some point given the writer though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Srice posted:

Trigun Stampede is real good, I'm glad it's trying something new instead of just being a more accurate adaption of the manga. I rarely follow anime on a weekly basis these days but I'm gonna make an exception for this.

I liked it too for the same reason. I read the comments on Crunchyroll and a lot of people are upset that they're not keeping the whole SEEDs plot as a reveal like the original anime adaptation.... but everyone knows about that at this point so why try faking a mystery where none exists for people? I'm hopeful they put in some new hook/mystery and it's not just Vash doing Vash things but honestly that'd be fun too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm a new viewer so I didn't know about the SEEDS plot, but also, the original anime is 24 years old, I have no right to expect them to treat it like a mystery. I'm fine with it.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
Nier Automata anime makes me want to play the game again. Are all the multiple endings clips going to be puppet shows? I'd enjoy that.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Watched first ep of Nagatoro S2. I really liked S1 - it's dumb trash but it regularly made me crack up and I thought it had an underpinning of heart that made all the silly comedy work. I came out of the first episode of this season kind of disappointed.

It's more of the stupid masochistic romcom vibe and you absolutely know if you'll like this or not already. The studio switch was for the worse - the animation has more cost-cutting measures like conversations that happen over long pans over background stills and just generally off-model feeling faces, and the music that's not from S1 is pretty bad. Writing felt like an establishing episode, so you got the expected comedy bits and some "hey, remember when" type stuff, but not enough of the surprising heart that I thought made the first season work. I think I could live with the animation getting worse but the writing losing its charm would really bum me out.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 7, 2023

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I need high definition bullying

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Namtab posted:

beats slow pans over powerlines

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Namtab posted:

if you admit to watching onimai you'll get all the bullying you need

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
how are you supposed to be bullied when you're permabanned

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

thats what we do to the inevitable constant reregs

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’ve not watched onimai and now that I’ve been told what it is I don’t think I will

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Namtab posted:

I’ve not watched onimai and now that I’ve been told what it is I don’t think I will

Is it isekai?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

somehow worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no but it's something else we can spend another few pages talking around the vague concept of