Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I watched Avatar for the first time a few days ago, and it seemed inarguably really good to me?

Like, it's kinda wild after so many years of people deriding it to find out that it's just across the board a really strong movie

idgi. i wouldnt say its horrible or anything but its way too long, super messy at times, and the story is a retread of the first movie which was already a retread of a million movies. also the 3D kinda sucked and actively hindered my enjoyment of the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol the new qaa is just straight up reading bigfoot alien erotica for uh "research"

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Xaris posted:

lol the new qaa is just straight up reading bigfoot alien erotica for uh "research"

random internet stories about Bigfoots surprisingly large uncut cock and firm, warm, hairy embrace are still better than Jake's epic lol chuck Norris stories

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

terrorist ambulance posted:

random internet stories about Bigfoots surprisingly large uncut cock and firm, warm, hairy embrace are still better than Jake's epic lol chuck Norris stories

oh absolutely. those are completely dogshit, especially the patrick rothfuss-esque majorie taylor greene fanfic where they want to gently caress her

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i think im just spoiled in that there are shows like trueanon/tafs/TWSU/RWN/TMK/blowback/ghost stories/ or even fuckin' bein ian that are just absolute constant bangers and don't do weird stupid poo poo and then you got this one podcast that typically good stuff but then just enough entirely fail AIDs goony sex fanfic episodes that make me question the entire series

i guess chapo had that god awful zayguana fanfic or w/e episode that was horrible but that those are least 3 standard deviations away

to not be entirely negative, i did like their recent cambridge analytica episode

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

babypolis posted:

also the 3D kinda sucked and actively hindered my enjoyment of the movie

This is objectively untrue lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

mila kunis posted:

the hamfisted social commentary was one of my fav things about knives out and actually i did like glass onion. its good for social commentary to be really obvious and crass, if you want it to reach the maximum people.

yep the discourse after the “don’t look up” was even more funny because of it too

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

QAA's recent 2-parter on the bullshit mythology surrounding cambridge analytica was really good imo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

babypolis posted:

idgi. i wouldnt say its horrible or anything but its way too long, super messy at times, and the story is a retread of the first movie which was already a retread of a million movies. also the 3D kinda sucked and actively hindered my enjoyment of the movie

I was talking about the first one, I haven't seen the second one

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Farm Frenzy posted:

their avatar take is identical to and was borne out of the exact same impulses that caused thousands of goons to devote years of their lives to defending the prequels, snyder, bay etc.

On the one hand, I get being annoyed at super aggressive fans. But on the other hand, I just find it weird to get upset at people you think have the Wrong Movie Opinions or whatever.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Equeen posted:

On the one hand, I get being annoyed at super aggressive fans. But on the other hand, I just find it weird to get upset at people you think have the Wrong Movie Opinions or whatever.

as an entertainment product, it is more entertaining to double down regardless of how inconsequential the opinion is

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Gripweed posted:

I watched Avatar for the first time a few days ago, and it seemed inarguably really good to me?

Like, it's kinda wild after so many years of people deriding it to find out that it's just across the board a really strong movie

it is lol. Its just a bunch of buttmad people were angry that james cameron made a cool blockbuster.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Jel Shaker posted:

yep the discourse after the “don’t look up” was even more funny because of it too

None of the people who disliked Don't Look Up were able to give a half decent explanation as to why

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Don't Look Up was better than Glass Onion but the latter had the Amongus scene.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Benoit Blanc being defeated by plagiarism was fun. I don't care.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

Don't Look Up was better than Glass Onion but the latter had the Amongus scene.

They we both two of my least favorite movies of recent memory so I guess maybe I’m not plugged into the cspam hive mind well enough

That among us scene was absolutely heinous but it sure set the tone for what the rest of the movie would be like

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

None of the people who disliked Don't Look Up were able to give a half decent explanation as to why

i didn't see it but it's a comedy that's two and a half hours long so it absolutely sucks

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Hooplah posted:

They we both two of my least favorite movies of recent memory so I guess maybe I’m not plugged into the cspam hive mind well enough

That among us scene was absolutely heinous but it sure set the tone for what the rest of the movie would be like

the amongus scene was funny. Sherlock holmes did cocaine solutions when he was between cases and benoit blanc plays amongus.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hooplah posted:

the pop culture thread cant stop talking about marvel and star wars

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Futanari Damacy posted:

not a single one of the jokes landed. it was obviously trying to be funny but the tone was wildly out of touch with itself in like every scene. it went from feeling like it wanted to be spotlight to talladega nights seemingly at random, except none of the people that were supposed to be comedic relief were even remotely so. jonah hill was trying to act his character, sure, but the way he was written was just paper thin and fell flat in every scene. also the pres lady character just did what veep did but way way worse. my biggest complaint was that it was supposed to be satire but the metaphor mapped so closely 1:1 with the reality of climate change that it literally just felt like why didnt they make the movie about that instead. it just came off as the "believe science" crowd dunking on conservatives and being extremely sanctimonious, but not actually saying the thing that needs saying. as a piece of entertainment it absolutely failed in my eyes, but it also wasn't much of a polemic as it hid behind its metaphor. it was a single snl sketch drawn out for 140 minutes

i will say jennifer lawrence did an awesome job though. she was the one positive i got out of it

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
*guy who has only seen Talladega Nights* getting a lot of Talladega Nights vibes here...

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the joke where Gary Cole picks up the two tickets at will call that Ricky Bobby has left for him for every race, and then immediately tries to scalp them is very good

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

okay i guess i should have said "an adam mckay movie starring will farrell" but i was shorthanding with one of his better known examples. awesome dig you got in there, nice job

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Hooplah posted:

not a single one of the jokes landed. it was obviously trying to be funny but the tone was wildly out of touch with itself in like every scene. it went from feeling like it wanted to be spotlight to talladega nights seemingly at random, except none of the people that were supposed to be comedic relief were even remotely so. jonah hill was trying to act his character, sure, but the way he was written was just paper thin and fell flat in every scene. also the pres lady character just did what veep did but way way worse. my biggest complaint was that it was supposed to be satire but the metaphor mapped so closely 1:1 with the reality of climate change that it literally just felt like why didnt they make the movie about that instead. it just came off as the "believe science" crowd dunking on conservatives and being extremely sanctimonious, but not actually saying the thing that needs saying. as a piece of entertainment it absolutely failed in my eyes, but it also wasn't much of a polemic as it hid behind its metaphor. it was a single snl sketch drawn out for 140 minutes

i will say jennifer lawrence did an awesome job though. she was the one positive i got out of it
it was pretty good actually

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
It just seems like weirdly strict adherence to judging every aspect of the movie solely from a comedy perspective because it's the Netflix category the movie is filed under. It apparently cannot be viewed, considered, or appreciated as anything other than whether I'm falling out of my chair laughing in which case I'd have no choice but to agree- it was far more serious than that- but done very well overall. It sounds like a failure/refusal to understand the meaning or sentiment of the film beyond yuks tbh

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I liked Timothee Chalamet's delivery of "I fuckin LOVE fingerling potatoes" because I really believed he loved fingerling potatoes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hooplah posted:

didnt read

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Futanari Damacy posted:

It just seems like weirdly strict adherence to judging every aspect of the movie solely from a comedy perspective because it's the Netflix category the movie is filed under. It apparently cannot be viewed, considered, or appreciated as anything other than whether I'm falling out of my chair laughing in which case I'd have no choice but to agree- it was far more serious than that- but done very well overall. It sounds like a failure/refusal to understand the meaning or sentiment of the film beyond yuks tbh

i don't know or care what netflix calls it, i'm judging it on its own merits and i think the attempts at humor cheapened the whole thing and dragged it down because they were so poorly done. if the whole movie was deadly serious i'd probably have come away liking it a lot more. idk that i'd actually have an overall positive opinion though. it would still feel sanctimonious as hell

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The algorithm being an oracle of Delphi metaphore was fun. I laughed when dude went up to the president and said "You will be eaten by a snorfblat"

and at the end of the movie she was

Which is a good joke that hampers the idea the movie was making about how algorithm astrology is just smoke, mirrors, and more data on a human than possibly imaginable. So I get your complaint. It's just, I can't imagine the movie being even more dry than it already wasm

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Mckay is funnier when he's not trying to scream in ur face what the joke is

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i didn't see it but it's a comedy that's two and a half hours long so it absolutely sucks

gently caress yeah brother, you dodged a bullet. Patreon tier podcast in message and dialog, but as a movie.

I'm gonna go watch Zoolander today.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm gonna go watch Zoolander today.

Zoolander ftw

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Hooplah posted:

Glass Onion was very cringe

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

i enjoyed it but the satire felt pretty toothless when it basically concluded with "half the country wants to ignore the comet and half the country wants to stop it, so nothing gets done"

how do you do those painfully accurate scenes about the media and ignore the fact that the only politically viable alternative to "let it destroy earth" right now is "make a nonbinding pledge to reduce the mass of the comet by 40% over 30 years"? most of the people choosing to Look Up might like to try and blow up the comet with a rocket, but maybe a little one that doesnt increase the deficit too much and only if the effort to build it doesnt negatively impact the economy

a serious satire would have ended with the Just Look Up Party winning in a landslide, accomplishing every single promise that they campaigned on, blowing up half the comet, diverting to rest to the Indian Ocean, and then there is a 10 minute splitscreen montage of everyone in america cheering and clapping and popping champagne juxtaposed with Day After Tomorrow catastrophes obliterating Yemen, Bangladesh, and the Philippines

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hooplah posted:

it just came off as the "believe science" crowd dunking on conservatives and being extremely sanctimonious, but not actually saying the thing that needs saying.

The "believe science" crowd are a bunch of absolute losers in the movie who are only able to put together a benefit concert

they realize at the end that change is hopeless and you should just enjoy the time you have left on this doomed planet with your loved ones.

Very Matt Christman tbh

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

dont look up was the most embarassing crap ive ever seen. i havent seen glass onion, i bet its crap, but oh boy, dont look up, wooh boy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

adam mcgay

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
no wrong guy, that’s the guy behind can’t get you out of my rear end, and hyperanalization, and traumadome

jfc you goons are so stupid with face blindness

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

i enjoyed it but the satire felt pretty toothless when it basically concluded with "half the country wants to ignore the comet and half the country wants to stop it, so nothing gets done"

how do you do those painfully accurate scenes about the media and ignore the fact that the only politically viable alternative to "let it destroy earth" right now is "make a nonbinding pledge to reduce the mass of the comet by 40% over 30 years"? most of the people choosing to Look Up might like to try and blow up the comet with a rocket, but maybe a little one that doesnt increase the deficit too much and only if the effort to build it doesnt negatively impact the economy

Like that’s the whole point of the stupid “just look up” campaign, to satirize that in fact no, even the “stop the asteroid” half of the country isn’t even talking about stopping the asteroid but instead *awareness* that the asteroid is in fact coming.

It wasn’t the best movie by any stretch, but for a movie with a message it did a pretty good job balancing between delivering the message and being something people would want to watch. No one would want to watch a realistic movie about climate change, and a funnier asteroid movie would quickly stop being a strong metaphor for climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if don't look up had an inexplicable half hour smack in the middle where all the Star Studded Cast breaks the fourth wall and details for the viewer the best ways to to blow up pipelines and do ecoterrorism on oil companies i would be saying i liked it, but alas