Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

You might be onto something there, it's nostalgic for me because I inherited my brother's lego after he aged out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Metoron posted:

For why maybe the Galaxy Explorer was over produced, and didn't sell as well as hoped; the original Galaxy Explorer may have been a fixture of the Reaganite and Atari childhoods of a bunch of late Gen Xers, and eldest of Millennials (which I presume are the designers of the set), but as someone who's in their 30s, I have absolutely zero nostalgia for that era of classic space, it was long gone by the time I was born, my era of "classic" space I remember was UFO, with translucent neon greens, black, and grey everywhere.

The new Galaxy Explorer doesn't hold nostalgia for me, it might be a fun build, but it seems like it's very much a thing that appeals to a smaller niche of the market, from what I've experienced at shops, most Lego building adults aren't the people in their 50s, they're younger, people that got into it with themes like Star Wars or Bionicle that made Lego cool again, so why would this set that's made for a nostalgia that they've never had have mass appeal to them?

This is why there's only real one theme ready to be rereleased and exploding back onto the scene: Wild West :getin:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’m 42 and it’s a little before my time but I’m happy with the blacktron and pirates and castle poo poo and I’m ready for space police whenever

I actually tried to get the GE when it was half off but it ran out of stock

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

That's a lot of words out of nowhere to say you don't like things from before your time. It may be a replay of an older set but if you can't see anything fun and cool about the design of that ship I don't know what to tell you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm glad the scientists in this thread are standing around in lego stores charting the ages of people in there buying sets.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't really care about nostalgia. I never had any classic space stuff and I have no nostalgia for it. I bought the Galaxy Explorer because it is a cool set. If it was just a straight re-release with no upgrades, I probably would not have bought it at all.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Gonna admit I bought it partly because 4 cents a piece for legit Lego is hard to argue with

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

He's on to something. If it were Mtron or Space Police 2 I'd have been all over it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m quintuple checking to see if I made a mistake, but I think I got a wrong piece in the new DeLorean I got for Christmas.

I’m on bag 10 of 11, and I seem to be missing a 1x6 studded plate, with a 1x8 flat tile left over. According to the instructions, there should only be one of the latter in the entire set, and it was in bag 5. I checked, and yep, there’s a 1x8 flat tile where it should be, so it looks like I have an extra.

The piece I need isn’t in the last bag either.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 9, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m quintuple checking to see if I made a mistake, but I think I got a wrong piece in the new DeLorean I got for Christmas.

I’m on bag 10 of 11, and I seem to be missing a 1x6 studded plate, with a 1x8 flat tile left over. According to the instructions, there should only be one of those in the entire set, and it was in bag 5. I checked, and yep, there’s a 1x8 flat tile there too, where it should be.

That means you've been chosen for the sacrifice.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Benny's Spaceship was a much cooler ship in the same color scheme at the same price point. I do appreciate the nice clean edges they gave the Galaxy Explorer but other than that it doesn't particularly have a lot to recommend itself against other Lego spaceship.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

it doesn't particularly have a lot to recommend itself against other Lego spaceship.

Except it's still for sale in stores at less than retail cost and Benny is not and going for way higher than msrp. I do think Benny was a better ship, but it was never on sale for $50 or less.Galaxy Explorer was the steal of the year.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 9, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have no nastolga for classic space (Explorians tho....) but the explorer was great and when it was 50 bucks it was easily the best purchase of the year. I hope that it keeps falling in price and I can get another.
More UCS Old Sets please

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd like to see a cosmic fleet voyager remake, I've been on a real blue and white kick lately so maybe that's part of it. But not big or UCS size.. like a nanoscale remake or something. I guess I should make it myself if I really want it.

Any of the big wheel space sets would work too.. spy-trak, battrax, mega core, any of those would be kickin' rad.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ChesterJT posted:

That's a lot of words out of nowhere to say you don't like things from before your time. It may be a replay of an older set but if you can't see anything fun and cool about the design of that ship I don't know what to tell you.

They’re correct though

I believe Classic Space won with a plurality of votes among the various space sub themes, there are too many good ones from the 90s and any one of them is superior to Classic

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
OTOH, it's the best spaceship they have released since Spaceshipx3. So who cares if it's a re-imagining.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

OTOH, it's the best spaceship they have released since Spaceshipx3. So who cares if it's a re-imagining.

Not really the same price point especially with galaxy explorer discounts, but the guardians' ship (76193) is niftier (in my opinion). Galaxy explorer is more playable with the built in rover and stuff, but the angles and movable parts on the guardian ship are cool.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
gently caress the Galaxy Explorer, give me the Deep Freeze Defender

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Arcella posted:

gently caress the Galaxy Explorer, give me the Deep Freeze Defender

I liked building the new Galaxy Explorer for some before my time nostalgia feel, but yeah give me this or Explorien Starship

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Might also be regional. The Galaxy Explorer hasn't dropped below 80 euros in the EU which could mean demand is high enough to just keep selling.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think I was just not quite in the right demographic to have nostalgia for most of the old Space themes. But if they did a proper modern Rock Raiders set I would be all over that poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

engessa posted:

Might also be regional. The Galaxy Explorer hasn't dropped below 80 euros in the EU which could mean demand is high enough to just keep selling.

Yeah it's remained really steady here too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Explorien Starship

This is what peak starship performance looks like, you may not like it but it is.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also kind of an open question: do adult Lego fans actually want to buy updated versions of the sets they had as kids?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

smackfu posted:

Also kind of an open question: do adult Lego fans actually want to buy updated versions of the sets they had as kids?

Barracuda Bay suggests that they (we) do at least sometimes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

smackfu posted:

When i was a kid we could only afford the 3/4 dollar sets. It was a big deal when I got something in the 20 range, so when a company weaponizes my nostalgia like this it's a big deal and I'm a huge sucker.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

God I wonder how far I could get resurrecting my Exploring EXPLORIEN Starship from my LEGO bin

loving AUTOCORRECT, "exploring starship"

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

smackfu posted:

Why not? Hell I've got a lego Voltron and Optimus Prime now too. Why do people act like that's a problem? Sorry I'm a human with disposable income I guess.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

smackfu posted:

I would buy every wild west set from my youth if re released today

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ChesterJT posted:

Why not? Hell I've got a lego Voltron and Optimus Prime now too. Why do people act like that's a problem? Sorry I'm a human with disposable income I guess.

This seems like an oddly defensive response

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

smackfu posted:

If they would release a new version of the one I had, the Galaxy Commander, then gently caress yes.

(Or 6780, the XT Starship.)

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm new to bricklinck, why do some parts have a *! under them?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

This seems like an oddly defensive response

It wasn't meant to be, but people seem oddly aggressive about adults and nostalgia. Get what you give I suppose.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ChesterJT posted:

It wasn't meant to be, but people seem oddly aggressive about adults and nostalgia. Get what you give I suppose.

FWIW I thought your post was weirdly hostile too. I think you're reading aggression where absolutely none was intended, it read to me like a normal question.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

for the big ticket iconic sets totally and especially if they were too expensive to get as a kid back in the day

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Modern build techniques are vastly superior to old school stuff too. Chonky pieces and lower part counts are good for kid hands, but these days no one wants to see a minifigure's rear end through a gap in the underside of a space ship.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Butterfly Valley posted:

FWIW I thought your post was weirdly hostile too. I think you're reading aggression where absolutely none was intended, it read to me like a normal question.

Yeah, it seemed like an honest question to me. I bought a modern version of a Transformer not because I had it as a kid, but because I wanted it as a kid but never got it, and I think a lot of Lego is like that as well.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Speaking of spaceships, I've just hauled the Space Shuttle Discovery back home from my UK Christmas trip to my family. I'd unsubtly hinted at wanting it, and said if they were to get it for me then they should order it directly to my home in Europe. My sister missed that crucial detail though so I was presented with a huge box on Christmas Day and then faced the happy conundrum of how to bring it back home (via a week's New Year celebrations in Turkey), as I was travelling relatively light with a backpack that definitely wasn't large lego box sized. I had a rummage around in the attic and found an ancient suitcase which I decanted the Discovery (sans box) into along with the rest of my backpack and have had to haul that around for the last 10 days, slightly worried it would literally explode at the ripped seams, but it happily survived and now I can add to my modern spaceship collection.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

80% of my leisure purchases as an adult are a feeble attempt to recapture a fraction of the joy I once experienced as a child, and I will throw stupid amounts of money at anything that I think might trigger the last little serotonin receptor in my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I got the big castle to build with my toddler. It's a really nice build, doesn't get repetitive and if you have a 4 year old assistant to help it is quite enjoyable. He also really enjoys the draw bridge and how it can shoot minifigs, horses, dinosaurs, and cows into the dungeon. My only tiny complaint is that Lego figs can't actually get onto the three towers. For a set they went to such efforts to make a path to every spot it seems a strange oversight.