Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

devicenull posted:

The spare fridge in my garage lives on a furniture dolly, I would not recommend it for day to day use. It definitely moves around when you open/close the doors.

Get tiny chock blocks for the wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

devicenull posted:

The spare fridge in my garage lives on a furniture dolly, I would not recommend it for day to day use. It definitely moves around when you open/close the doors.

I was hoping to get/make one with brakes, but again, it seems like a ridiculous solution.

the kitchen is tiny and the designated fridge spot (right by the stove, directly across from the dishwasher) isn't the worst possible option, but I like the flow much better when it's on the section that goes from the back room to the hall.

but the choices are to partially block the doorway to the hall (walking is fine but it's hard to go through with a laundry basket) or to fully block the register (or to jack up the fridge a couple inches but in a way that will not kill anybody).

incredibly minor problem but that picture did make me go :hmmorks:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The floors in our 1880 house are uneven (stable, but uneven) so I use these to level and create space as needed. Very handy for our fridge, a mobile island I built, and the dining room table.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A mobile island is just a ship.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

I was hoping to get/make one with brakes, but again, it seems like a ridiculous solution.

the kitchen is tiny and the designated fridge spot (right by the stove, directly across from the dishwasher) isn't the worst possible option, but I like the flow much better when it's on the section that goes from the back room to the hall.

but the choices are to partially block the doorway to the hall (walking is fine but it's hard to go through with a laundry basket) or to fully block the register (or to jack up the fridge a couple inches but in a way that will not kill anybody).

incredibly minor problem but that picture did make me go :hmmorks:

Or move the register?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Freudian posted:

A mobile island is just a ship.

:hmmyes:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Can't wait to put an unbalanced load in that and rattle the whole house.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Rubber doorstops work okay for this purpose. They also sell anti-skid little cups that will hold it in place, but I found the cups surprisingly difficult to roll equipment with any weight off of, so we went back to the doorstops.

Ours wasn't on a dolly, though, it was a commercial glass door fridge that had wheels built in that a local grocery store was throwing out and we couldn't afford a replacement for a couple months when our fridge died. Do not recommend, commercial fridges chug power, leak, and are surprisingly loud. We even put multiple layers of insulation on the door, it didn't help.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've worked in enough restaurants to know if you plan on buying a commercial fridge, you should install a floor drain near it.

Obviously your situation wasn't planned though.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Dienes posted:

Can't wait to put an unbalanced load in that and rattle the whole house.

That's what I say about your ma.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

mycomancy posted:

That's what I say about your ma.

dad you promised you would stop drunkposting

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

devicenull posted:

Or move the register?

it'd be a matter of moving it 18" to the right. I haven't even fished around under the house to see if it's possible but it seems like a massive shitshow just to put my fridge in a place.

it turns out there's a locking dolly specifically made for the kind of person who wants their appliances to be a few inches in the air at all times. I'm going to give one of those a try (and one of those redirection things)

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I've worked in enough restaurants to know if you plan on buying a commercial fridge, you should install a floor drain near it.

Obviously your situation wasn't planned though.

Oh I meant mostly cold air, it was a sales floor fridge so it didn't leak much.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ah, I thought you meant condensation related.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Plastik posted:

Do not recommend, commercial fridges chug power, leak, and are surprisingly loud.

Commercial fridges are designed and have a refrigeration system sized to keep the contents at the set temperature with the door open about 50% of the time. So yeah, they're going to chug power.

Most people don't realize how loud ALL restaurant equipment is. Low noise is not a design criteria as it's irrelevant to their target market.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Beef Of Ages posted:

It's unclear to me how you can wash your hands without touching the sink itself in what appears to be a public restroom.

I’ve washed my hands in one of these at a McDonalds in Texas, around 1998. This is a legitimate concern.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I didn't realize your enclosed patio of a Stupid Newbie room was adjacent to the bathroom. Hopefully the snakes won't invite themselves into your washing machine. :rimshot:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It could happen! The woman next door had a squirrel die in her dryer vent.

The Stupid Newbie room is doing fine. My sister in law has been staying with us once a week or so for the past month and has been sleeping in there because there's a futon and her only complaint was "the cat walks on me in the middle of the night". Luckily she wasn't here during that cold snap, because it was only about 50 degrees back there even with the space heater going full blast.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

This is most likely Eastern Europe, Soviet block housing construction. Interior walls are like 9 inches of block/concrete and separating the toilet from the rest of the bathroom was a thing. It's usually the first thing to get removed in modern renovation

The washing machine is commonly installed in the kitchen, and there is rarely a dryer. There is a wash/dryer combo machine that you could update to, and then you only need to hang half of your clothes on a balcony to finally dry out.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

It could happen! The woman next door had a squirrel die in her dryer vent.
Hell, we had a mouse / vole make it's way into the bottom of our kitchen fan. Didn't die though, I took the thing apart and saved the little fool.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
a 6' black rat snake used to hang out in my parents' dryer vent. it was always kind of jarring to walk into the basement and hear him panic and kind of schloop out of there

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What in the gently caress

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Wet Bandits don't even need to do poo poo to this house. It's already all ready to get hosed up.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

drat and I thought the tiling job done in my place was annoyingly inconsistent.

(How do you manage to cut the tiles for the side of a bath such that they don't line up with the joints on the tiles on the floor even though they're the same size and make of tile)

Arrath posted:

What in the gently caress

It's a big pile of okra which is a vegetable.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

drat and I thought the tiling job done in my place was annoyingly inconsistent.

(How do you manage to cut the tiles for the side of a bath such that they don't line up with the joints on the tiles on the floor even though they're the same size and make of tile)

Okay fine if you don't want to play my Duke Nukem 3D mod then just don't :mad:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My kitchen has a stupid, useless corner like that so I put the microwave there. Honestly this layout isn't the worst unless I'm missing something. I'd probably put a drying rack or something in place of the plant, but stuffed-in-a-corner kitchens are pretty much always gonna have some wasted space.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

At first I thought this was a deliberate, if bizarre, design choice. Nope. Looks like they wanted to get fancy by putting in that central offset section and hosed up the math.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My kitchen has a stupid, useless corner like that so I put the microwave there. Honestly this layout isn't the worst unless I'm missing something. I'd probably put a drying rack or something in place of the plant, but stuffed-in-a-corner kitchens are pretty much always gonna have some wasted space.

I think it's more the "two small sinks" rather than one big sink design.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Also where is the dishwasher air gap?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

If your dishwasher isn't connected to the cloud you don't need to air gap it but probably doesn't hurt in case there's a Miele zero-day.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Beef Of Ages posted:

Not required by local code?

I've never seen one in my neck of the woods. Just replaced my dishwasher too a couple months ago and it never came up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

This is aggressively hostile to mental health.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Beef Of Ages posted:

thank you for asking about this.. I've always idly wondered what those things are, but I've seen them rarely enough that I never thought to look them up.

Meaty Ore posted:

Looks like they wanted to get fancy by putting in that central offset section and hosed up the math.

forgot the Pythagorean theorem, smdho

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

The what now? That's not a thing anywhere I've been.

Are you confusing an AAV (which is a hack job all on its own) with an "air gap"?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beef Of Ages posted:

'Round these parts we call it a "grease trap."

In all seriousness, are you supposed to leave a certain space around your dishwasher?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Motronic posted:

The what now? That's not a thing anywhere I've been.

Are you confusing an AAV (which is a hack job all on its own) with an "air gap"?

Of all people I would not have expected Motronic to be puzzled at this.

It's not an AAV, it's to prevent wastewater from backflowing INTO the dishwasher from the sink drain. The waste pipe from the dishwasher is run up to the counter (usually next to the faucet) to the air gap (a fitting that protrudes above the counter an few inches and has a vent), and then down into the sink drain. The wastewater from the dishwasher flows up into the center of the air gap and spills over - kind of like a percolator. [edit for clarity: spills over internally inside the air gap, it's not spilling into the sink or on the counter or something]

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/blogs/blog/what-is-a-dishwasher-air-gap

edit: now that I think about it (having grown up in the Northeast), I'm not sure I saw air gaps commonly there, so it seems like it's a majority West Coast thing? The article I linked notes that several Western states including California mandate them. I guess maybe the Northeast uses the high loop method? Very interesting.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

I accidentally close a door on myself and am instantly gibbed