Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

elentar posted:

yeah this is not the Syracuse that plagued UVA for a few years there

Tony winningest coach in program history :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

elentar posted:

Clemson and Pitt facing off for uncontested first place in the ACC, as everyone predicted

I feel less bad about NC State losing to both of them now

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Ungratek posted:

it's a pretty rare combination to have a team you care about (even if, as in my case, it's mostly because of occasionally teaching students on those teams) coached by someone who is pretty good at their job and not a complete piece of poo poo, dunno how many years he'll feel like doing this but Virginia should enjoy it while it lasts

Freaquency posted:

I feel less bad about NC State losing to both of them now

i still don't think they should be losing a home game to PItt but if they can see this out tonight and not immediately collapse afterward then there's still a chance of keeping the team afloat this year, which I would not have guessed after those two games

as a State fan my money's still on collapsing though

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ungratek posted:

Honestly, just glancing over it I read this like it was referring to a basketball coach who had also won a Tony award

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Auburn has gotten so obnoxious

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

tactlessbastard posted:

Auburn has gotten so obnoxious

Arkansas is starting to get frustrated by the little cheap stuff, gotta be smart and not react. Scrappy little game

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
the defining experience of being an NC State fan is watching them piss away big first-half leads in the second half over and over and over again

if i were coaching against them i would strongly consider just spotting them 10-15 points at the start and just watch them flail the rest of the way. hell, Duke did that against them in multiple ACCT finals

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Sinking free throws is for chumps

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

tactlessbastard posted:

Sinking free throws is for chumps

:hellyeah:

Auburn leads Arkansas 36 25 at the half as Arkansas went 8/17 from the line and what felt like 1/7 on layups

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State survives, whew. And with Terquavion Smith having a rancid game as well, that's usually a guaranteed L.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

i'm back to Louisville gawking now that they've hit 278 in Kenpom, that's lower than either of the conference-winless BC or Pitt teams managed in the past and lower than the 1-win Wake Forest of 2011. Even 2012 BC—the lowest rated ACC team of the KP era, finishing the year at 261—never got lower than 277. They also managed to win 4 conference games somehow, and I don't think Louisville is gonna get close. (though they're still only listed with a 10.7% chance of a winless conference record; they might well beat Florida State or Georgia Tech at home in early February, it's hard to see where they'd get two more from.)

looking at other major conferences, 2013 TCU got down to 285 before finishing at 265. 2016 Mississippi State got as low as 277, ended up at 256. 2017 Oregon State scraped 293 before finishing at 264, and 2019 Cal hit 284 before winning their last three conference games to finish at 241.

the only team that seems demonstrably worse so far is 2013 Utah, which hit 331 on the way to finishing at 302; the only other major conference team I found among the 300s was 2016 Rutgers, which reached 307 before "recovering" to 279. all of which to say, there's still depths for the Cardinals to plumb, but they remain in absolute freefall and very much in the running for worst major-conference team of at a minimum the 21st century.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
I know Indiana has injury issues, but even if they were healthy their defense would still be atrocious. Multiple times so far against Northwestern, they didn't just forget the screener, it's like the whole team lost object permanence and the screener had the entire lane to themselves.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

forgot miller kopp was on indiana

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
No shock that Rutgers' first huge stinker of the season would be against Iowa lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is northwestern good?????????????

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

first time beating MSU, Illinois, and Indiana since 1967, lmao

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

IU BANKS IN A 3/4 COURT BUZZER BEATER

to lose by 1.

How big of an extension does Big Ten Champion Chris Collins get?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

PotatoJudge posted:

IU BANKS IN A 3/4 COURT BUZZER BEATER

to lose by 1.

How big of an extension does Big Ten Champion Chris Collins get?

how do you lose a borderline NBA guy who is starting at UNC and a bench guy to loving duke, don't replace them with anyone, and get way better?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'M FIRED UP ABOUT THE GODDAMN WILD CATS BABY

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'M FIRED UP ABOUT THE GODDAMN WILD CATS BABY

The kind of posting Boo Buie deserves

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

No shock that Rutgers' first huge stinker of the season would be against Iowa lol

Yeah, I hate them, but I respect them. I expected to kill MD and trip up here, and that's what happened.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Kim Jong Il posted:

Yeah, I hate them, but I respect them. I expected to kill MD and trip up here, and that's what happened.

Are they Rutgers’ polar opposite? Good offense with no defense vs good defense with no offense?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Purdue and Penn St at the Palestra , people there are saying they over sold and people are sitting in the aisles.

Going to be interesting, Edey will probably go for 50 & 30 while Penn St wins by hitting 30 3s

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Seems Auburn confounded Arkansas by running a simple 2-3 zone most of the game, curious if everyone else tries that against them now.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Jalen Pickett turns into prime Lebron against Purdue as per usual

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

ColdBlooded posted:

Jalen Pickett turns into prime Lebron against Purdue as per usual

TBF, he's been doing it all year. Morton is doing a better job in the 2nd half to get through the screens and has slowed him down a bit.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

PotatoJudge posted:

TBF, he's been doing it all year. Morton is doing a better job in the 2nd half to get through the screens and has slowed him down a bit.

For sure - he's a really good player, but just seems to find another gear against Purdue for some reason.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Jesus what a pass by Braden Smith

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Poque posted:

Jesus what a pass by Braden Smith

Such a pleasant surprise with how good he is.

That stretch early to mid 2nd half where every play was Braden Smith drives and lobs it to Edey was clutch. Penn State doesn't have size and they totally took advantage of it.

PotatoJudge fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 9, 2023

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

PotatoJudge posted:

Such a pleasant surprise with how good he is.

That stretch early to mid 2nd half where every play was Braden Smith drives and lobs it to Edey was clutch. Penn State doesn't have size and they totally took advantage of it.

Those lobs to Edey were ridiculous. Feels like a cheat code against smaller teams like Penn State. If I had the choice of 1st year Braden Smith or 1st year Dug McDaniel, so far I’d take Braden for sure. Not sure that will hold for 2nd year on, but Braden is playing super well and poised for a freshman.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Really nice bounce back for Smith these last two games after how poorly he played against Rutgers.

The Palestra is a lot of fun - would much rather play there than the Bryce Jordan Mausoleum.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Pretty much every game Iowa has some skinny white kid who looks like he's 14 who shoots 80% from 3 vs rutgers.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I know complaining about rankings is stupid, but I’m going to do it anyway. Kansas State, who is 14-1 is ranked below Texas, who is 13-2 and KSU just beat them. It’s all in the name I guess.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

elentar posted:

i'm back to Louisville gawking now that they've hit 278 in Kenpom

During my freshman year, Houston finished 8-20 and 212 in Kenpom; in the last 5 years, we've finished 18, 12, 14, 5, and 2, and now we're sitting pretty at #1 :unsmith:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech dropped 2 at home to KU (had a shot at a buzzer beater), and OU (lost in OT). This counts as a free-fall. Team is a mess and rumors abound that everyone actually hates Adams.

Would not be surprised to see him retired sooner than later. Just hope we're not the ones that try to rehab Beard's image. gently caress that dude.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

kayakyakr posted:

Texas Tech dropped 2 at home to KU (had a shot at a buzzer beater), and OU (lost in OT). This counts as a free-fall. Team is a mess and rumors abound that everyone actually hates Adams.

Would not be surprised to see him retired sooner than later. Just hope we're not the ones that try to rehab Beard's image. gently caress that dude.

That's unreal, Adams seemed like he had unlimited good will after beating Texas home and away last season. The crowd for that home game was the most electric I've ever seen on TV

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I remember when Self had back to back losses in the first round to Bucknell and Bradley in his first two seasons and people wanted him gone.

I'm glad we ignored those people. It takes time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Apparently Kentucky is down 10 to South Carolina at the half.

This seems, unfortunate for them because I don't think the Gamecocks even know what a basketball is.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

USC is 7-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Do it you cowards:

https://twitter.com/scottwildcat/status/1612821523441807360