Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

BREAKING NEWS

I preordered From Beyond 4k

Looking forward to a new upscaled HDR avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
woah woah we're talking native 4k here

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

esperantinc posted:

Speaking of pre-orders, if anyone else was jazzed by the Rocky I-IV steelbooks that Best Buy is putting out, those are up now. Though if you're impatient, you may just want to order the box set. BB for some reason is staggering the steelbook releases, so Rocky is out 2/28 along with the box set. Then the rest one a week until IV on March 21st.

Which is so dumb. Has there ever been anything like that before? We're gonna punish you and make you wait because you want them all individually?

does the set consist of the steelbooks? if this is the set:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocky-the-knockout-collection-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray/6528810.p?skuId=6528810

then i don't think so?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

didnt Best Buy used to charge as soon as you placed a pre-order in? I noticed for that Terrifier 2 release I wasnt charged until the release day. I'm not complaining, I just thought their policy used to be different or is this a mandela effect thing?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

dorium posted:

didnt Best Buy used to charge as soon as you placed a pre-order in? I noticed for that Terrifier 2 release I wasnt charged until the release day. I'm not complaining, I just thought their policy used to be different or is this a mandela effect thing?

IME, with the Best Buy Card, they put a hold on the funds then charge when it ships.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of my Christmas gifts was A Ghost Story For Christmas Vol 1 on Blu. Which was supposed to be released on 5Dec, but wasn’t shipped until after Christmas. It finally showed up at my mom’s house today. Too bad I won’t be back in town for about 3 weeks.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zer0spunk posted:

I'm actually curious since I'm NTSC, are there pal tvs that don't support 23.98/24hz at this point? I'm assuming it's easier globally to find a display that can do 24, 48 etc then one that only has 25/50..Projection standard vs broadcast standard

So, assuming that at this point means are new TVs being sold, the answer is no.

In fact, the answer has always been no, it just depends on how you want to answer that.

I guess, technically, if you mean can a display natively display 24 hz content, then there are still displays out there that don't do 24 hz.

But all displays can do 60 hz. You can't buy a TV that can't do 60 anymore, since so many things output at 60, like videogame consoles and computers.

And since 60 hz displays can handle 24 hz content by doing a 3:2 pull down. It's just something hardware can handle, and if not hardware, then software has your back.

And at this point, I would be surprised if many tvs can't do 50 hz, even here in the US. After all, television manufacturers don't want to have to deal with the nonsense of having multiple different display models for one part of the world (60 hz) and then another for a majority of the world (50 hz, which needs to be able to also do 60hz). For example, my Roku outputs Taskmaster at 50 hz, and my TV displays it at 50.

Fun fact, NTSC and PAL are not tied to the frame rate. It's all just color encoding. It's mostly fine, except for Brazil, which used PAL color encoding and a 60 hz refresh rate. Plus, it leaves poor SECAM out. And the French didn't make a color encoding standard just to be forgotten, right?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

dorium posted:

in my experience, it depends if you use paypal. if you preorder a game or film or whatever and charge it directly to your credit card, best buy simply puts a hold on your credit card. this falls off after 3-5 days. if you preorder a game or film or whatever and charge it with paypal, they charge you then and there.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I don't want to encourage anyone to go into debt, but the Best Buy card is completely worth it in my opinion. Amazon is complete trash now, and if you buy physical media, buying movies via BB online is the way to go. They have most of the boutique labels too, so for Arrow, 88 Films, Indicator and Kino titles available. Just pay the statement balance in full each month like I do and you will be good.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what's the appeal of the best buy card exactly?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

dorium posted:

im still waiting for my amazon delivery... ahhhh

https://twitter.com/TheDiscFather/status/1612561341117796352?s=20

Carrie Fisher was a real one. RIP.

no comment on her organization method

I'm the Carnivale season sets

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If the bb card gives u the TV warranties it's one of the only warranty plans that covers oled burn in

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

abelwingnut posted:

what's the appeal of the best buy card exactly?

At this point, it seems like it’s the option for financing or the points, as they’ve taken the latter away from standard MyBBY. The Totaltech membership is where you get free protection plans (as long as you subscribe), accelerated shipping, extended return/exchange (great for my price matching rear end), and some cheaper prices here and there.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

not too shabby. i'll look into it.

and speaking of collections, what do you all use to store yours? i'm slowly building mine up again, along with my gaming and book collections, and plan on just using ikea billys. are there better options? could be into some diy options if they're not too diy.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

At this point, it seems like it’s the option for financing or the points, as they’ve taken the latter away from standard MyBBY.

Wait, I no longer get reward zone points when I buy poo poo? Or are you talking about some different points?

Edit: Looked it up, it will end 13 February. Oh well, sucks for those 64 points that will never go anywhere.

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 11, 2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Where does dragons forever rank against other Chan movies of the time? I've seen wheels on meals and police story one, everything else is 90s or later.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Better than Wheels on Meals, Project A, Armour of God, and Police Story 2 imo but not on the same level as Police Story 1. It’s way more of an ensemble than a straight Jackie movie though, kind of a different beast.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I blind bought dragons forever. I checked out the blu-ray.com review and saw it mention three stooges and more comedy adventure. I’m in for a good ride.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
About half of the comedy in Sammo Hung-directed stuff misses for me, but I thought almost everything in Dragons Forever was actually pretty solid. Yuen Biao plays an amazing anti-establishment weirdo and Jackie kinda plays a scumbag. It’s great.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some of the Lucky Stars stuff can better be described as Three Stooges if they were really horny and didn't respect boundaries.

pwn
May 27, 2004

It's like I posted a reply in the wrong thread.

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 11, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I watched Dragons Forever last night and the balance of the comedy with the action is excellent. I enjoyed the characters more than in Wheels on Meals and the action is up there with anything Jackie/Sammo have done. I guess the only thing I would say is that I think the Jackie vs. Benny the Jet showdown is slightly better in Wheels on Meals, but overall I like Dragons Forever more.

I'd seen the movie before but it hardly felt like it, I went through a lot of these classic Jackie movies like 20 years ago but back then I was downloading some pretty crappy looking versions from wherever I could get them. Having something like Dragons Forever at this level of quality feels like a huge luxury.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1613165192833290241

i know nothing about this film but they have my attention

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This might be a better quest for the kung fu movie thread, but:

Which cut of Dragons Forever is the one to watch if I haven't seen it in 20+ years?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Brexit the Frog posted:

lol that cover

I've heard this is really good, haven't had a chance to see it yet

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Brexit the Frog posted:

It's a solid comedy with some decent social commentary but imo it fumbles the ball in the third act. The cast is amazing throughout though

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Brexit the Frog posted:

Movie is great and the cover is perfect.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MacheteZombie posted:

It's a solid comedy with some decent social commentary but imo it fumbles the ball in the third act. The cast is amazing throughout though
I was shocked to find out weeks after I had watched it that the young female lead passed away months after it screened at cannes :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah that was crazy to find out as well. She really was a star in the making too.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

lol that cover

I've heard this is really good, haven't had a chance to see it yet

Triangle of Sadness is really good, one of my favs in a truly stacked year of them that stands out by having

easily

the funniest dinner scene in years

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ah, my copy of Dragons Forever keeps getting its delivery pushed back because of the stupid storm in stupid san francisco.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyone ever end up doing a whole reconfiguration of their blu ray collection just because of one movie?

I ended up doing that last night because I loved the look of the Dragons Forever UHD so I wanted to have like a little recess on my shelf where Dragons Forever would be front facing where you can see the art on the case. Of course my shelf was prett much full so I didn't have room to do that without pulling some stuff out.....cut to an hour later and I have blu rays all over the floor and I'm in full reorganization mode.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Anyone ever end up doing a whole reconfiguration of their blu ray collection just because of one movie?

I ended up doing that last night because I loved the look of the Dragons Forever UHD so I wanted to have like a little recess on my shelf where Dragons Forever would be front facing where you can see the art on the case. Of course my shelf was prett much full so I didn't have room to do that without pulling some stuff out.....cut to an hour later and I have blu rays all over the floor and I'm in full reorganization mode.

I did that like 6 months into lockdown. I probably posted a picture of it here in this thread, but my entire dining table was filled with movies. I've since relocated some books i had organized into a shelf into these nice boxes and used the shelving for the odd shape media boxes

tho my regular shelf aint doing too good...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dreading the day I finally enact my organization method. Boxsets in one area, the uhd by label and alphabetical, then blu rays by label and alphabetical. Debating getting some of those dividers vinsyn has but have a buddy make them for me so I don't have to pay nearly as much lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My organization structure is one area for “will this case get hosed up easily/is it a weird shape/is this signed by someone” and another for literally anything else just crammed in to make as much room as possible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My organization structure is one area for “will this case get hosed up easily/is it a weird shape/is this signed by someone” and another for literally anything else just crammed in to make as much room as possible.

Right now mine is "unwatched" and "watched" with me running out of shelf space so I have like 4 boxes filled of watched stuff and two little boxes of unmatched in front of the unmatched bookshelf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The key to the reorganization I did last night was that I finally decided that I didn't need these long series taking up huge chunks of space on my main shelf, so I moved them to like a secondary space underneath my t.v. inside the t.v. stand.

I'm talking about stuff like Harry Potter, the MCU, Mission Impossible, Bond films, Fast & Furious, etc. They were taking up a bigger percentage of my shelf space than I really like considering they're mostly standard blu ray cases and I don't really ever just go browsing for some random MCU or Harry Potter movie. If I want to watch them I can find them but I don't need them visible on the shelf all the time.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
ship my schlock vinegar syndrome

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

worms butthole guy posted:

ship my schlock vinegar syndrome

yeah the waiting is the hardest part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

does vs take a while to ship things? i only placed my first order last week.