Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Franky and Robin were the only two adults on the crew with flesh for a long time, which is probably why they were paired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Akainu is going to dismiss Garp and then he'll have TWO old men (and a goat) laughing at him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Franky is a cyborg, he can modify himself to be compatable with anyone

I was mostly focused on their personalities. However you're forgetting the women in One Piece are canonically unimpressed by cyborgs/robots.

Also while Franky is chronologically an adult, he's emotionally much more in line with Luffy and Ussopp.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

im Gay with a capital G

vvv Everyone's in love with Senior Pink, he's just That Guy

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 11, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Does Franky even have any sort of romantic capacity or sex drive? He's a proud pervert, but it all seems centered around exhibitionism and his own personal kinks. He doesn't seem interested in other people. And given this manga, and his flamboyant personality, you'd think he would not be ashamed to express interest if he had any.

I feel like most of the Strahats have expressed some interest/attraction to other people. Sanji and Brook obviously, but even Ussop gets in on the ogling sometimes and obviously has Kaya. Chopper gets flustered around that mink nurse. Zoro's incredibly awkward around Tashigi, which is mainly related to his childhood rivalry with Kunia, but there could easily be more to either relationship.

That leaves Luffy, Nami, Robin, and Franky. Luffy is superhumanly asexual, canonically. I feel like Nami isn't the type to reveal her desires, lest they get in the way of her pursuit of money. And Robin is generally incredibly reserved and reacts to almost everything with quiet amusement, so I wouldn't assume either of them to necessarily be asexual just because they're not overt about it.

But Franky is all about being overt. And I think that's where Robin x Franky falls apart. It's impossible to read what she's thinking about a lot of things, so I could see someone reading anything they want into that fairly reasonably, but Franky would not be shy about anything. I think he has a very healthy and intense love of himself, and a very intense empathy and interest in the romance and passions of others, but he basically just loves engineering.

And Senor Pink. I can believe Franky might have a crush on Senor Pink.

(I don't think we've seen enough of Jimbei or Yamato to get a good idea about them. Yamato and Ace had a kind of passionate rapport, but it's hard to tell bro-passion from gay-bro-passion.)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Eiba posted:

He's a proud pervert, but it all seems centered around exhibitionism and his own personal kinks. He doesn't seem interested in other people.

But enough about me,

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eiba posted:

Does Franky even have any sort of romantic capacity or sex drive? He's a proud pervert, but it all seems centered around exhibitionism and his own personal kinks. He doesn't seem interested in other people. And given this manga, and his flamboyant personality, you'd think he would not be ashamed to express interest if he had any.

I feel like most of the Strahats have expressed some interest/attraction to other people. Sanji and Brook obviously, but even Ussop gets in on the ogling sometimes and obviously has Kaya. Chopper gets flustered around that mink nurse. Zoro's incredibly awkward around Tashigi, which is mainly related to his childhood rivalry with Kunia, but there could easily be more to either relationship.

That leaves Luffy, Nami, Robin, and Franky. Luffy is superhumanly asexual, canonically. I feel like Nami isn't the type to reveal her desires, lest they get in the way of her pursuit of money. And Robin is generally incredibly reserved and reacts to almost everything with quiet amusement, so I wouldn't assume either of them to necessarily be asexual just because they're not overt about it.

But Franky is all about being overt. And I think that's where Robin x Franky falls apart. It's impossible to read what she's thinking about a lot of things, so I could see someone reading anything they want into that fairly reasonably, but Franky would not be shy about anything. I think he has a very healthy and intense love of himself, and a very intense empathy and interest in the romance and passions of others, but he basically just loves engineering.

And Senor Pink. I can believe Franky might have a crush on Senor Pink.

(I don't think we've seen enough of Jimbei or Yamato to get a good idea about them. Yamato and Ace had a kind of passionate rapport, but it's hard to tell bro-passion from gay-bro-passion.)

This can't stop me.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This can't stop me.

I'll stop you

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ace traveled the world, starting passionate bromances with everyone he met. he even got to buggy, and that guy kind of hates everyone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nami and Usopp are an old married couple who just never got around to getting married or being a couple, obviously :hmmyes:

Oh God the break between chapters has definitely gotten too long :gonk:

Anyways, one part of Punk Hazard I really dig was when Vergo - the guy Law was supposedly intimidated/scared by - has his final confrontation with him and is showing off his full body Haki, and Law's reaction is to go,"Did nobody else bother to actually improve themselves over the last few years?" and just cleanly slices him in half without the slightest issue. Even though we hadn't really seen Vergo before, the storyline does a pretty solid job of building up his threat status as a way to then showcase how Law - like Luffy and the other Strawhats - had reacted to the Pacifista situation by making a point of vastly increasing his strength and abilities.

I really dig Law as a character and love his interactions with the Straw Hats, and I really, really hope that we get content with him and Garp if at all possible.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This can't stop me.
I realized after writing all that that it could still work, but it would have to be Robin who's into Franky, who is himself oblivious to Robin's subtle cues until...

and then I decided to stop thinking and simply post what I had already written before I got too far. But I don't want to stand in the way of anyone's dream, so I'm mentioning it now.

In short:

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God the break between chapters has definitely gotten too long :gonk:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

For an arc that is basically Robot Island there is a distinct lack of Franky mecha shenanigans thus far

:jiggled:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the world is not ready for sexual franky

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

[The world was ready.]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Infinitum posted:

For an arc that is basically Robot Island there is a distinct lack of Franky mecha shenanigans thus far

There was a line I think in the latest chapter where Vegapunk lamented that even when he wrote up blueprints and instructions nobody ever seemed to be able to continue work he'd started and left unfinished, and I had veins popping out of my head waiting for him to discover Frankie completed a bunch of his old work in his old lab during the timeskip :derp:

Edit: I think somebody joked about it before, but if it turns out the power source for the old mechs is Cola I'm gonna lose my mind.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Infinitum posted:

No way Vega Force 01 and General Franky aren't gonna be fighting together at some point

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Infinitum posted:

MorningMoon posted:

Everyone: This is gonna be Franky's arc!!!
Franky in this arc:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I ignored burgess in my comment about garp as he had a strength devil fruit that doesn't count imo. Garp meanwhile just hurts cannonballs instead of firing them

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Need less giant tiddies

MODS?!?!!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Why isnt Frankie cheeked up? One Piece would be better if he had a dump trunk, but oda is afraid of assed

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Why isnt Frankie cheeked up? One Piece would be better if he had a dump trunk, but oda is afraid of assed
???

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Infinitum posted:

I will be very surprised if Franky will do anything more than funny reactions in this arc. At least until the inevitable 100k characters battle section.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

when frankie doesnt have a fat rear end, all the characters should be looking around and going "why doesnt frankie have a fat rear end"

anyways was watching not-spain arc, fell asleep at the cat cage and woke up and its like 50 episodes later and random secondary characters are still dueling and having the same flashback cuts. think its time for a break

also also lol @ the blind admiral being all "gently caress we have to protect the civvies at all costs #1 priority" and then just getting bored and casting loving Meteor on the city

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 11, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He did, but then he moved them to his shoulders.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

when frankie doesnt have a fat rear end, all the characters should be looking around and going "why doesnt frankie have a fat rear end"

anyways was watching not-spain arc, fell asleep at the cat cage and woke up and its like 50 episodes later and random secondary characters are still dueling and having the same flashback cuts. think its time for a break

also also lol @ the blind admiral being all "gently caress we have to protect the civvies at all costs #1 priority" and then just getting bored and casting loving Meteor on the city

Anime dressrosa is loving dire.
The absolute worst padding and the cheapest animation. The wano animation reboot should have happened sooner.

(Mind you its still sucky at pacing but ill excuse it for the moments of pure sakuga)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
First review I’ve seen of Odyssey

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1613236740038316036?s=20&t=A92HiNTFTKUAPwXa3Fih0g

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Zoro's swordmaster definitely "accidentally" killed his daughter for trying to break gender norms, right? The framing of her breaking into the adult convo, him being "shut the gently caress up you're a girl" smash cut to "and then she fell down some stairs and died" paired with his vaguely sinister vibes afterwards and discomfort with her as a topic w.r.t. zoro all feel like they point to it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I really don't think it's important at this point.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

you dont know that, he could come back into the story and kill Smoker's right hand lady :colbert:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Zoro's swordmaster definitely "accidentally" killed his daughter for trying to break gender norms, right? The framing of her breaking into the adult convo, him being "shut the gently caress up you're a girl" smash cut to "and then she fell down some stairs and died" paired with his vaguely sinister vibes afterwards and discomfort with her as a topic w.r.t. zoro all feel like they point to it?

That's what the stairs want you to think.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This is erasure of Down D. Stairs, Zoro’s greatest nemesis after Check D. Map

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I would not make that assumption, no. I don't think Zoro's mentor figure is supposed to be someone that terrible.

It's definitely an odd story, and there might be more to it, but I would assume she perhaps killed herself, or else ran away before I'd assume the master killed her. We may still get an explanation for why Tashigi looks exactly like her.

Or else she just fell down the stairs, and her death is just kind of sad and meaningless, which is something Zoro cannot emotionally deal with to the point that it drives him on to this day to be the world's greatest swordsman.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if tashigi was a cp agent i'd say something was up, but she's just like, a normal marine. it's a coincidence that exists to make zoro uncomfortable.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

No

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kuina was killed by Mihawk, who is a Stairs Man

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

did you get kicked in the head

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

by Sanji

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
step on me horizontally crap-daddy

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I'd post that clip of Foxy saying "Are you sick in the head?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

what on earth