Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Zoro's swordmaster definitely "accidentally" killed his daughter for trying to break gender norms, right? The framing of her breaking into the adult convo, him being "shut the gently caress up you're a girl" smash cut to "and then she fell down some stairs and died" paired with his vaguely sinister vibes afterwards and discomfort with her as a topic w.r.t. zoro all feel like they point to it?

Nnnnno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That seems too dark for Oda

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
You need help

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

a lot of crocodile mom lovers calling me out on this, i wont name names

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

a lot of crocodile mom lovers calling me out on this, i wont name names

Make a boring theory, and then deflect criticism by calling them supporters of a fun theory.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way Odyssey is holding an average review score of 75 on Metacritic so it’s not amazing. Most criticism seems to be for the bad pacing and combat being too easy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Straw Hats are too powerful is what I’m hearing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hatty posted:

That seems too dark for Oda

honestly less dark than "and then big mom ate all the orphans"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

7 out of 10 is alright for a One Piece game, lord knows we've had worse.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Delphisage posted:

Make a boring theory, and then deflect criticism by calling them supporters of a fun theory.

I was more wondering if anyone had the same read, which seems like a solid "no" this time around. For the record croco-mom rules and I wish he was my mom too.

and yeah happens early enough that tonal inconsistency can be somewhat hand waved away with everything still being established

im willing to meet people halfway and say it was just because he didnt want to be a single dad anymore

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 11, 2023

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Len posted:

honestly less dark than "and then big mom ate all the orphans"

Killing a daughter for reasons of chauvinism isn't really something you label "dark" so much as "edgy".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I seriously don't think anything about Kuina is going to be relevant anymore short of if she turns out to not be dead.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Also this is the same manga that just under a decade ago praised Kyros for training Rebecca to fight wrong.

Just leave Zoro's backstory untouched and have him hook up with Perona. The chance to alter it further came and went with Wano.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I seriously don't think anything about Kuina is going to be relevant anymore short of if she turns out to not be dead.
Tashigi is right there. She even showed up a few chapters back.

Even if her resemblance is just a coincidence (which is possible, but not a given), Zoro still needs to work through his feelings regarding Kunia as long as Tashigi is still out there reminding him of her.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zoro's feelings were worked out in Punk Hazard when he went from not wanting to fight her because she looks like his old friend to not wanting to fight her because she's a weakling loser that sucks.

RatHat posted:

By the way Odyssey is holding an average review score of 75 on Metacritic so it’s not amazing. Most criticism seems to be for the bad pacing and combat being too easy

It's a tie in rpg, 75 is about what i'd expect honestly. Maybe a bit better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sort of okay only works for short games, not long rear end rpgs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Actually they work better because rpgs rule

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Kuina was killed by stairs and buried. However the will of the sword was unsatisfied. Soon after the Bride's theme could be heard, muffled, in the cemetery. The next day a very dirty Tashigi boarded a boat. Her head hurt, but she found that glasses eased the ache.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The big point of Kuina dying by falling down stairs is that Zoro cannot beat stairs, there's nothing for him to fight no option for vengeance or ability to prove himself. Kuina didn't lose to someone, she wasn't killed by anyone, Zoro must live forever questioning if he could beat Kuina in a fight (he certainly argued against the things her dad told her) because nobody ever beat her. She died by accident.

It has to be a tragedy that Zoro is incapable of solving/responding to with violent vengeance because the point is that he will never be able to prove to himself that he would have beaten Kuina in the end.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Lord_Magmar posted:

The big point of Kuina dying by falling down stairs is that Zoro cannot beat stairs, there's nothing for him to fight no option for vengeance or ability to prove himself.

Zoro will learn how to beat stairs once he becomes true friends with Sanji. Sanji will teach him to skywalk and avoid stairs completely.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Maybe that's the reason for all of the death flags around Zoro in the series (including an actual encounter with Death). Maybe Zoro dies and his final scene involves him reuniting with Kuina in the afterlife. Zoro is back in his child body, but now has his lifetime of experience to call on, as the two finally have their rematch.

Kuina still wins, because she spent decades training on King Kai's planet

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be honest I don't think Zoro winning tough fights and being near death afterwards are actually "Death Flags"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Chopper will cure the 'fall down some stairs and die' disease and cement himself as the greatest swordsman.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shiryu should've eaten the Stair Stair Fruit to give Zoro the opportunity for proper closure.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Zoro will complete his dream by carring a printer snail up those stairs for tsuragi and not drop a single bead of sweat

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shiryu: You can't beat me, Roronora, do you see the stairs in my house?!
Zoro: !!!
Shiryu: I AM PROTECTED!!!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If your stairs aren't built by Franky, are they really any better than being built by Grover?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Remember that time Franky built a staircase in midair so he and Chopper could punch a giant in the jaw

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Still maybe the best fight in One Piece

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oars was such a good fight before Moria got there, not that’s it’s bad or even mediocre after but it’s rare to see multi man fights in shonen in general (because it’s hard) so having it mostly just be a dogpile with some of the weirder tag team moments and attacks in general was a blast, like Zoro borrowing the huge stone nunchucks Franky made earlier and smacking a giant around with them.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Like Luffy always says, when it comes to this game being good I “Believe It!”

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Last Celebration posted:

Oars was such a good fight before Moria got there, not that’s it’s bad or even mediocre after but it’s rare to see multi man fights in shonen in general (because it’s hard) so having it mostly just be a dogpile with some of the weirder tag team moments and attacks in general was a blast, like Zoro borrowing the huge stone nunchucks Franky made earlier and smacking a giant around with them.

Don't forget Franky building a stairway while running on the stairs so he and Chopper can deck Oars in the face. Or building a bridge in an instant when the team's wondering how to cross a broken one and then complaining that he doesn't like the design while everyone's freaking out about how fast he was.

Honestly I think Thriller Bark was the only arc where Franky's carpenter gimmick was actually used during an adventure (outside of ship maintenance), since he's mostly the robot riding guy after the timeskip.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i wonder what would happen if sanjis sister met magellan

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

more one piece shower thoughts: if all of choppers points are his different zoan forms, and him becoming monster point is similar to a forced zoan awakening since he ends up mindless like the impel down guards

why does the human human fruit awakening gigantify him

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
What if Kuina's dad was eating a banana and just threw the peel down at the top of the stairs? What then? That's still responsible.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Paper Lion posted:

more one piece shower thoughts: if all of choppers points are his different zoan forms, and him becoming monster point is similar to a forced zoan awakening since he ends up mindless like the impel down guards

It’s probably Model: Yeti since it’s a giant hairy man that got super huge post skip, that’d be my guess. We know they’re a thing with the Yeti Cool Bros, and also it’s an unnaturally induced form like Black Maria so it doesn’t play 100% by the rules.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

Why was the mino-koala in Impel Down so big? Zoan fruits just make you buff when you awaken them apparently.

Monster Point is probably even bigger because of all the drugs, not just because of the pseudo-awakening.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

why does chopper's hybrid form shrink him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Preskip I guess because he wasn’t a fully grown reindeer so his human form scaled accordingly. Postskip it’s because he has an Everstone equipped?