Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's because he is the cute mascot character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Chopper zoan fruit doesn't make any sense.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I want chap

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

As a baker this subplot makes me T____T

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Chopper’s points work the same way as King, Queen, and Sasaki’s transformations work. It works because they believe it works.

Also just realized the points are like points on a deer i.e. a ten-point buck

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Zoro speculation is always odd because we have so little to go off of. He is the same person as at series start just with more power and an oddly detailed sword collection sub theme that doesnt interact with the plot much. People are keen for stuff like "zoro's dad was imprisoned with yamato" and "denjiro was zoro's teacher" because it connects him to some part of the rest of the world. Just having him win vs X legendary swordsman at the end of the series and saying congrats you did it you're the best we all knew you could do it seems like too straight a path but what else is there.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Chopper’s points work the same way as King, Queen, and Sasaki’s transformations work. It works because they believe it works.

Also just realized the points are like points on a deer i.e. a ten-point buck

The more anatomy books Chopper reads, the weaker he gets.

Good thing he believes Usopp's lies

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I just saw a guy argue that Zoro losing one of his swords to a Rust Man near the end of Enies Lobby was a bullshit plot development.

Suddenly I am no longer ungenerous towards Basque's theories.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

Zoro speculation is always odd because we have so little to go off of. He is the same person as at series start just with more power and an oddly detailed sword collection sub theme that doesnt interact with the plot much. People are keen for stuff like "zoro's dad was imprisoned with yamato" and "denjiro was zoro's teacher" because it connects him to some part of the rest of the world. Just having him win vs X legendary swordsman at the end of the series and saying congrats you did it you're the best we all knew you could do it seems like too straight a path but what else is there.

Yeah, I feel like it’s just a deliberate thing at this point that Zoro is Just A Guy, like even his one flashback where you’d think there’d be a whole loving thing given how much Luffy/Sanji got expanded on was like “nah, he’s still just a guy, but his rival was the descendant of samurai” and was just there so he could realize Enma really wanted to fight and wasn’t just trying to suck him off.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Even the guy who we thought was supposed to be his final boss ended up being his roommate for two years so the tension there is kind of all gone.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

He lost an eye at some point but nobody has even mentioned it (outside of Sanji's off the cuff insults) and I'm not sure it we'll ever learn what the heck happened there. It's just Zoro stuff.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Libra posted:

He lost an eye at some point but nobody has even mentioned it (outside of Sanji's off the cuff insults) and I'm not sure it we'll ever learn what the heck happened there. It's just Zoro stuff.

Though it'll no doubt piss off thousands when it turns out to be as simple as "he lost it in training" rather than "he's keeping it closed to charge his Spiral Power".

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

He lost the eye, like he literally could not find it one day

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I would say Zoro’s personality changed over the time skip, but not for the better. Mihawk’s :geno: rubbed off on him.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I would say Zoro’s personality changed over the time skip, but not for the better. Mihawk’s :geno: rubbed off on him.
Zoro yelling at Luffy that they need to stop goofing off and get serious in the New World has become retroactively funny post-Nika

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
One interesting point of characterization I haven’t seen discussed much is the change in Luffy and Zoro’s relationship between Whiskey Peak and Thriller Bark. I think a lot of people basically take the fight between Luffy and Zoro as a joke to be ignored, but I think it’s more interesting if you take it somewhat seriously. Luffy saved Zoro’s life but basically forced him to become a pirate in the process; it’s plausible that Zoro has some lingering resentment over that. And while the most memorable examples of it come after Whiskey Peak, Zoro does have a somewhat bloodthirsty streak that Luffy might be somewhat uncomfortable with. Of course it’s also true that Luffy was initially more willing to believe Zoro was a good guy than Coby was; but what really convinced Luffy of this was Zoro showing gratitude for the little girl’s rice balls. When Luffy sees Zoro behaving in the opposite manner, attacking people who have given him food, this reverses Luffy’s view of him. Food and hospitality are pretty central to Luffy’s ideas of right and wrong; note that in the Fishman Island arc he admits he isn’t a hero because he doesn’t want to share meat, for instance. So it’s not really out of character for Luffy and Zoro to fight there.

That raises the question, of course, what changed? The obvious answer is the end of the Whiskey Peak fight himself; it made Luffy a lot less inclined to doubt Zoro in the future. Another is simply being on the same ship for so long and having a lot of high-risk adventures together. And part of it, I think, is that Zoro sees the world from a more pro-pirate point of view now; he sees the world government as such as bad now, rather than Morgan being an isolated bad actor, and thus is if anything grateful he isn’t a bounty hunter anymore.

Does all this make sense, or am I missing something important?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Of the extraneous one piece sub plots I am most impressed by MADS. All four of them are great characters, their relationships and secrets are extremely interesting, none of them is one note and they all have completely different life paths It came out of nowhere in the new world and it just fits so good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

No Wave posted:

Of the extraneous one piece sub plots I am most impressed by MADS. All four of them are great characters, their relationships and secrets are extremely interesting, none of them is one note and they all have completely different life paths It came out of nowhere in the new world and it just fits so good.

Do they really have completely different life paths? They’re less different than Vegapunk likes to think, IMO.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Clown Queen Judge are undoubtedly all bad science guys, but they're different flavors of it. Judge is the obsessive emperor of his fake kingdom, clown is a lackey to the core of his being, queen hitched his wagon to someone strong and enjoys the perks. Punk is a radical who wants to save the world by open sourcing his brrain.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 12, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
One wonders exactly at the difficulties of the formation of what may as well of been a science pirate crew was back in the day, that shot of the MADS armed and ready to rock, all known members are amoral if not psychotic and while Vegapunk qualities as a combatant are unknown, Ceaser and Queen are in the top percentage of the worlds most dangerous people. Judge probably is too, I dunno. I can only think of the fight with Sanji that the latter didn't think was worth it so it's hard to say.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

No Wave posted:

It’s about the journey, and all the fun growth along the way. I can say the exact same thing about Luffy except the inverse ignoring all the important context along the way “we knew he was going to be pirate king and he did it, but wow how cheap that he was actually a god and he had this dumb overpowered lineage”

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Caidin posted:

One wonders exactly at the difficulties of the formation of what may as well of been a science pirate crew was back in the day, that shot of the MADS armed and ready to rock, all known members are amoral if not psychotic and while Vegapunk qualities as a combatant are unknown, Ceaser and Queen are in the top percentage of the worlds most dangerous people. Judge probably is too, I dunno. I can only think of the fight with Sanji that the latter didn't think was worth it so it's hard to say.
They're just so interesting. I like MADS so much that I want the stussy looking figure to be a misdirection and it's actually my favorite character kureha dressing inappropriately for 70.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No Wave posted:

Even the guy who we thought was supposed to be his final boss ended up being his roommate for two years so the tension there is kind of all gone.

I think that adds tension frankly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No, Franky wasn't with them, he was at the old laboratory.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It does because it posits the question of whether Perona is dating Mihawk or Zoro.

It's Mihawk.

It's both.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I mean Mihawk is way more goth than zolo

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mihawk getting a surge of power after remembering that one time Zoro forgot to replace the toilet roll.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
one piece odyssey deez nuts

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
super merry go odyssey

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mihawk is more like Perona's moody goth uncle who doesn't get along with her dad (Moria).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I mean Mihawk is way more goth than zolo

if ive learned anything from being Online it's that you're supposed to pair the most goth person with the least goth person

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zoro is a jock, the polar opposite of a goth

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

One interesting point of characterization I haven’t seen discussed much is the change in Luffy and Zoro’s relationship between Whiskey Peak and Thriller Bark. I think a lot of people basically take the fight between Luffy and Zoro as a joke to be ignored, but I think it’s more interesting if you take it somewhat seriously. Luffy saved Zoro’s life but basically forced him to become a pirate in the process; it’s plausible that Zoro has some lingering resentment over that. And while the most memorable examples of it come after Whiskey Peak, Zoro does have a somewhat bloodthirsty streak that Luffy might be somewhat uncomfortable with. Of course it’s also true that Luffy was initially more willing to believe Zoro was a good guy than Coby was; but what really convinced Luffy of this was Zoro showing gratitude for the little girl’s rice balls. When Luffy sees Zoro behaving in the opposite manner, attacking people who have given him food, this reverses Luffy’s view of him. Food and hospitality are pretty central to Luffy’s ideas of right and wrong; note that in the Fishman Island arc he admits he isn’t a hero because he doesn’t want to share meat, for instance. So it’s not really out of character for Luffy and Zoro to fight there.

That raises the question, of course, what changed? The obvious answer is the end of the Whiskey Peak fight himself; it made Luffy a lot less inclined to doubt Zoro in the future. Another is simply being on the same ship for so long and having a lot of high-risk adventures together. And part of it, I think, is that Zoro sees the world from a more pro-pirate point of view now; he sees the world government as such as bad now, rather than Morgan being an isolated bad actor, and thus is if anything grateful he isn’t a bounty hunter anymore.

Does all this make sense, or am I missing something important?

I don't think Luffy's really uncomfortable with Zoro's bloodthirsty streak; Zoro loves fights but hates bullying the weak. Literally a case of strong against the strong and weak against the weak. Luffy also doesn't really hate the concept of fighting, and while he might not be as fight-hungry as Zoro he's still pretty eager to test out new techniques or marvel over his opponent's weird powers. He has fun fighting when stakes aren't on the line, and given that he grew up idolizing Shanks, he knows that pirates can't avoid fighting.

I also don't think Zoro really hated pirates the way Nami did, he just hunted them to make ends meet while searching for Mihawk. So I don't think he was really unhappy with becoming a pirate. Heck, in Luffy, he found a fellow big dreamer (Luffy: Be Pirate King, Zoro: Be Strongest Swordsman) and a guy who was willing to believe in his dream (Luffy has full faith in Zoro becoming the strongest swordsman one day).

The Whiskey Peak thing is, I think, a case of the crew's non-standard horizontal hierarchy, where the crew and captain are generally on the same level. The crew generally treat Luffy as a fellow crew member and not a captain when things aren't on the line, and it's just a case of miscommunication resulting in a light scuffle (that Nami immediately ends). Zoro was just exasperated by Luffy and Luffy was being stupid as usual.

While nobody ever explicitly calls Zoro the first mate, he is the one who keeps the crew in line when things get serious. He's the one who calls Luffy out and tells him to act like a captain at times (Water Seven, Punk Hazard). So his fight with Luffy at Whiskey Peak could be an extension of that, where the captain goes off and eats himself into a stupor without care, leaving Zoro (and unknownst to everyone else, Nami) to deal with Baroque Works (and all Nami does is steal their poo poo, she doesn't help fight).

Of course, Zoro just wanting to duke it out with Luffy, a strong guy he knows and has never really fought yet, is just as in-character. He'd never pick a fight with Luffy but since Luffy was giving him an excuse, why not?

quote:

Another is simply being on the same ship for so long and having a lot of high-risk adventures together.

This does probably play a huge part too. During East Blue the crew was still in its infancy and still working out the kinks.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Zoro is a jock, the polar opposite of a goth

90s teen horror movies taught me that that works though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just started playing Odyssey. Apparently Luffy starts out at level 40 before he gets his stats obliterated.

Those resistances. :allears:

E: I think Charm should be 100 unless it has to do with meat, then it's -infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

No Wave posted:

They're just so interesting. I like MADS so much that I want the stussy looking figure to be a misdirection and it's actually my favorite character kureha dressing inappropriately for 70.

I mean Stussy as the last member is interesting too because while the others went to be criminals or radicals she chose to work for The Man and strangely seems to have given up on science altogether.