Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the Ryobi Link rolling toolbox stack? I'm getting tired of hauling tools around the house in an Ikea bag, and the buy-in cost of Milwaukee looks too steep to me. On the other end, Craftsman Tradestack looks about equivalent to Walmart's Hart version, at least in terms of weight capacity, but will I even notice? I would say the chance of me taking my tools on the road is very slim, but I like to have everything I need with me when I work on jobs 2 floors above the garage. My brother left an enormous Ridgid box made of thin polypropylene or something at my house but that thing gets overloaded quickly and it's just about falling apart, but the thiccer 22-inch boxes look mighty appealing.

Do you have Menards near? I have their house brand Masterforce set and it's pretty good. It's comparable to my DeWalt box. Probably similarly priced to Ryobi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

wandler20 posted:

Do you have Menards near? I have their house brand Masterforce set and it's pretty good. It's comparable to my DeWalt box. Probably similarly priced to Ryobi.

No Menards in Atlanta, no. I think I'm going to try the full stack Link set while it's ~$30 off. If I don't like the way it feels I'll just return it. I did find that they'll be releasing parts organizers and a drawer unit for the system this year, so there's that. If nobody else has them I'll be sure to report back.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

No Menards in Atlanta, no. I think I'm going to try the full stack Link set while it's ~$30 off. If I don't like the way it feels I'll just return it. I did find that they'll be releasing parts organizers and a drawer unit for the system this year, so there's that. If nobody else has them I'll be sure to report back.

That looks like a nice setup and I think most of the options you were considering would probably work just fine for what you need. Drawer unit might be a nice addition down the line.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Drawer is juicy if, like me, you have a shitload of wrenches and sockets. Having it all laid out in a flat-ish pile is so nice.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Something about the ryobi kept itching at me until I woke up this morning and realized the Lego top means none of the boxes can have a handle built into the top, and then I ran across this deal, so I canceled the other order. Surprisingly, the DeWalt foam inserts are cheaper than Ryobi's, too.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Get a couple five gallon buckets and a bucket boss organizer for small tools. the small parts organizer boxes are really nice for fasteners but otherwise the tool boxes don’t hold very much and are pricey. rolling tool box is less useful than you’d think (for residential stuff) and encourage overloading, so you break your back going up stairs

Five gallon buckets are better suited for carrying, they’re inexpensive, and they hold alot. Less inviting to thieves, too. Downsides: they’re prone to tipping and not water resistant

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Get a couple five gallon buckets and a bucket boss organizer for small tools.
This is great 90% of the time, except for

Literally A Person posted:

Drawer is juicy if, like me, you have a shitload of wrenches and sockets. Having it all laid out in a flat-ish pile is so nice.
Personally, I like to use my bucket boss bucket to pack up and carry the tools I think I'll need for a given job from my bench and tool chest. The only thing that's not great about it is trying to fish sockets out of the bottom when I'm doing mechanical work.

I've got the ryobi base rolly-cart thing and it's great to pack up stuff that's going to go in the back of the van or pickup since it's got a lid and is pretty stable, and also makes for a good rolling grocery cart thing, but the bucket is still easier for project site use.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
i have the craftsman versastack system since the ryobi link wasn't released at the time. id probly still get the versastack if i was buying today. the drawer and organizer options are great. the rolling base kind of sucks though. they have a versastack socket/ratchet kit that's compatible too. the craftsman was the only system i could find that wasnt made in israel.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I purchased my first functional table saw (I worked on restoring on old last year but quit), I bought a SawStop Jobsite Pro from Woodcraft. I would have preferred their contractor saw but I couldn’t make it fit on garage with the cars parked inside. Jobsite saw also didn’t require me pay for shipping as I could pick up with my car. The compact saw not being able to use a dado stack made it a no go.

Good
- Fit and finish of everything you touch is very nice
- The stand is great
- Has enough power for 1.5” Acacia butcher block
- Dust collection is better than I expected with just a shop vac hooked up
- On board storage compartment for accessories is great
Meh
- Fence has a small amount of deflection if you give it a good shove but I haven’t noticed it when making cuts
- This thing is super picky about being on its own 20 amp circuit
Bad
- miter gage is crap

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Never met a good miter gauge even on pricey saws. I will say the best one I've used is on my current saw and I'm pretty sure it's something after-market the duder I bought it from added.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Incra-jig rules.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr. Mambold posted:

Incra-jig rules.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I've printed and assembled 5 of these table saw push blocks now as gifts. It's based off of this guy's excellent design inspired by the MicroJig Grr Ripper.
It's about $3.50 worth of bolts and grippy pads and about $6 worth of filament if I use the good stuff and print all the accessories. Much better value than the $70 MicroJig wants for theirs.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Calidus posted:

I purchased my first functional table saw (I worked on restoring on old last year but quit), I bought a SawStop Jobsite Pro from Woodcraft. I would have preferred their contractor saw but I couldn’t make it fit on garage with the cars parked inside. Jobsite saw also didn’t require me pay for shipping as I could pick up with my car. The compact saw not being able to use a dado stack made it a no go.

Good
- Fit and finish of everything you touch is very nice
- The stand is great
- Has enough power for 1.5” Acacia butcher block
- Dust collection is better than I expected with just a shop vac hooked up
- On board storage compartment for accessories is great
Meh
- Fence has a small amount of deflection if you give it a good shove but I haven’t noticed it when making cuts
- This thing is super picky about being on its own 20 amp circuit
Bad
- miter gage is crap

I saw some video a guy did about the fence deflection, I think there's some sort of way to adjust the tension on that? you might want to contact their support.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I've printed and assembled 5 of these table saw push blocks now as gifts. It's based off of this guy's excellent design inspired by the MicroJig Grr Ripper.
It's about $3.50 worth of bolts and grippy pads and about $6 worth of filament if I use the good stuff and print all the accessories. Much better value than the $70 MicroJig wants for theirs.

Ohh this looks like a good thing for me to print up once I get my printer set up and dialed in. I have one gripper but a second would be nice.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stealie72 posted:

This is great 90% of the time, except for

Personally, I like to use my bucket boss bucket to pack up and carry the tools I think I'll need for a given job from my bench and tool chest. The only thing that's not great about it is trying to fish sockets out of the bottom when I'm doing mechanical work.

I've got the ryobi base rolly-cart thing and it's great to pack up stuff that's going to go in the back of the van or pickup since it's got a lid and is pretty stable, and also makes for a good rolling grocery cart thing, but the bucket is still easier for project site use.

yeah individual use case varies of course, I got the rigid set a while back bc i thought that's what you did as a tradesman but once i saw the old-timers just use 1-2 5gal buckets for everything they needed that day i switched and haven't looked back. I use the small parts organizers for fasteners and the briefcase sized case for batteries and chargers but otherwise it's just a couple buckets

the tool cases are great for people who transport their stuff in a pickup bed, since theyre fairly waterproof. They look much more impressive/professional too, but I'd try a 5gal bucket before dropping the cash on a toolbox set.. Thats cash you can use for more tools :guinness:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the Ryobi Link rolling toolbox stack? I'm getting tired of hauling tools around the house in an Ikea bag, and the buy-in cost of Milwaukee looks too steep to me. On the other end, Craftsman Tradestack looks about equivalent to Walmart's Hart version, at least in terms of weight capacity, but will I even notice? I would say the chance of me taking my tools on the road is very slim, but I like to have everything I need with me when I work on jobs 2 floors above the garage. My brother left an enormous Ridgid box made of thin polypropylene or something at my house but that thing gets overloaded quickly and it's just about falling apart, but the thiccer 22-inch boxes look mighty appealing.

I use the VersaStak/T-Stak stuff for camera gear and it's great. Seemed roughly price-comparable last I checked, with more options.

canyoneer posted:

This is neat! Leaving the non-skid base to "well, buy something probably" is a bummer though. I've got a dedicated TPU 70A printer, maybe I could come up with something...

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

yeah individual use case varies of course, I got the rigid set a while back bc i thought that's what you did as a tradesman but once i saw the old-timers just use 1-2 5gal buckets for everything they needed that day i switched and haven't looked back. I use the small parts organizers for fasteners and the briefcase sized case for batteries and chargers but otherwise it's just a couple buckets

the tool cases are great for people who transport their stuff in a pickup bed, since theyre fairly waterproof. They look much more impressive/professional too, but I'd try a 5gal bucket before dropping the cash on a toolbox set.. Thats cash you can use for more tools :guinness:

The pro move is a van to keep your buckets dry

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

slurm posted:

The pro move is a van to keep your buckets dry

agreed. All the younger tradesmen around here go through the same process when they get their first work vehicle:

1) buy a pickup bc it looks cooler than a van
2) realize you cant leave stuff in the bed or else it'll get stolen and/or rained on
3) get a tonneau cover and end up w a vehicle that has much less storage capacity than a van

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Right my one coworker calls me mister mom for my minivan.

This same coworker needs a trailer on his Colorado to carry full sheet goods. I just take my front seats out and 5 min later I can haul sheet goods even in the rain without a tarp!!

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

canyoneer posted:

These are slick!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

While investigating why my older drill press has been getting a little stiff I found a huge wad of this crap wrapped around the spindle. Did people used to use some kind of olde tymey asbestos bushing that's now exploded and needs replacement, or did someone just shove a cat in there in 1968

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Just a reminder to tie your hair back while working around spinning things.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tracecomplete posted:

I use the VersaStak/T-Stak stuff for camera gear and it's great. Seemed roughly price-comparable last I checked, with more options.

This is neat! Leaving the non-skid base to "well, buy something probably" is a bummer though. I've got a dedicated TPU 70A printer, maybe I could come up with something...

With my own limbs and digits on the line, I decided to buy a purpose manufactured grippy pad :v:

Ended up using the FastCap TracPad squares that I found in the clearance bin at Woodcraft. Each pack includes 8 pads, and each completed block uses about 2 and a half pads, but due to the specifics of the offcuts you can assemble 3 complete blocks out of the 8 pack. They are very grippy and the included and attached adhesive is very strong. I like also that the material itself is very thin and compresses very little during use. I worry about some of the thicker pad options that compress a lot, because I feel like those would wear unevenly and also apply inconsistent pressure to the workpiece as you're pushing it through.
https://www.rokhardware.com/fastcap-tracpad-2-3-8.html

I bought a bunch of those packs for $2 each, and I've been really impressed. I think I'm going to also use them as bench pads, as the designers intended.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

tater_salad posted:

Right my one coworker calls me mister mom for my minivan.

This same coworker needs a trailer on his Colorado to carry full sheet goods. I just take my front seats out and 5 min later I can haul sheet goods even in the rain without a tarp!!
Do you find it hard to drive without seats?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Do you find it hard to drive without seats?

Just the second row. 3rd row folds.in but second row has to go for sheet goods.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This is maybe the dumbest question for the Tool thread, but I know someone here will know.

What do you call those clear plastic adhesive-backed slips that hold whole sheets of paper? I see them all the time on the underside of parts bin lids, and I want some for my parts bins so that I can easily keep labels updated.

I am apparently not using the right terms because I either get binder sheet protectors, or mailing label envelopes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Clear label Holder?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What you're describing definitely sounds like a sheet protector. What is it about the ones you're finding that you don't want? I'm just kind of wondering why a binder style one with some adhesive or tape wouldn't work?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

What you're describing definitely sounds like a sheet protector. What is it about the ones you're finding that you don't want? I'm just kind of wondering why a binder style one with some adhesive or tape wouldn't work?

It probably would work but if I'm going to buy something I'd rather buy the better solution, which is the adhesive backed version I'm looking for.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SpartanIvy posted:

This is maybe the dumbest question for the Tool thread, but I know someone here will know.

What do you call those clear plastic adhesive-backed slips that hold whole sheets of paper? I see them all the time on the underside of parts bin lids, and I want some for my parts bins so that I can easily keep labels updated.

I am apparently not using the right terms because I either get binder sheet protectors, or mailing label envelopes.

https://www.staples.com/Clear-Packing-List-Envelopes/cat_CL141896/5yduo

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

canyoneer posted:

If you are like me (lazy and unable to hide a 3D printer from your wife), Milescraft makes a GRR-ripper clone that is much less expensive and does all the important stuff (allowing one to press wood toward the fence and toward the table while keeping fingers away from the blade). There is a cheaper model that has fewer features.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I need cut about a dozen 1/4” thick subway tiles for a backsplash. Do buy a handheld tile cutter or diamond blade for my grinder?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Calidus posted:

I need cut about a dozen 1/4” thick subway tiles for a backsplash. Do buy a handheld tile cutter or diamond blade for my grinder?

You find the local rental place and get one for 4 hours/half day.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Motronic posted:

You find the local rental place and get one for 4 hours/half day.

There is one more answer to this question. Look on craigslist because 90% of tile saws are purchased, used for roughly a day, then gotten rid of for like $50 on cl/facebook marketplace. Yes, it will be an HF. Yes, you will also be able to sell it for $50.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

There is one more answer to this question. Look on craigslist because 90% of tile saws are purchased, used for roughly a day, then gotten rid of for like $50 on cl/facebook marketplace. Yes, it will be an HF. Yes, you will also be able to sell it for $50.

This is 100% accurate. Whenever I look in FBM for a table saw or miter saw, the results are cluttered with tile saws used once and then put back on the resale market.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You can have my HF tile saw when you pull it etc etc. :colbert: I dragged it out of wraps last summer to do a bathroom floor in marble, hosed it down, covered it back up. Made a dozen 3" mitered coasters for my daughter from the scraps ( I don't recommend doing this, but it's doable)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I suspect I'm asking for two different tools here but is there a nail gun that will work for installing quarter round and not be totally useless for other projects down the road? It's a tool space I know nothing about.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Quarter round is probably a "brad nailer" project. "Brads" are pretty useful for all sorts of things, but you wouldn't build a house with them, that would take a framing nailer. Basically, it's all about nail size, would braid nails be useful for the kind of projects you might envision in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah seems like your usual framing nailer is likely to destroy a quarter-round? Or at least leave it an unsightly mess?