Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Xelkelvos posted:

This is what I'm largely dealing with right now. There's literally a series of leaks in my bathroom that come off and on and come from some source of clear water a number of floors up. Potentially the roof. This has been there for months. Obviously if I was in a house and I owned it, I'd be able to get it done a whole lot faster, even if the cost of the plumber or roofer or w/e came out of my own pocket. Same with any other costs that would result from a leak.

It is either a leaking tub seal, silicon issue at the tub wall, leaking mixing valve, or the showerhead pipe coming out of the wall is loose/not have tape. If it is on and off it is a leak on the drain side, supply side would have water always coming in. I guess not your problem but pretty easy one to figure out.

Clear water doesn't come from roofs, they are dirty as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Another factor to consider re: "How hard can it be?" is that unless you're the first owner (and even then, gently caress builders sometimes too), you have no idea how big an idiot your previous owner was. For some reason, every PO (and I'm sure most of us will have our names cursed by our own future buyers someday) bungled at least one major job in their houses, if not more. Following a video instruction is easy. Figuring out how to apply it to all the unexpected conditions + reverse not-to-code changes and structural damage? Not so easy.

I'm currently re-wiring a home ethernet network, because the builders ran all the cable ends only on one side until they disappeared into the walls, then cut them and walked off. None of the cables actually go anywhere, they're all one-ended, and the longest is like 3 feet. They literally put in just enough to make it look like it was done. "How hard could it be?" Well... still not HARD, but way way way harder than I thought just troubleshooting all the unlabeled wires would be.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 12, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Nothing like finding out the lighting fixture is "hot", even when the switch is off.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Got the inspection report back today and the biggest issue is a bathroom fan exhausting into the attic. Not bad not bad.

:colbert: how much do you trust your inspector

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hadlock posted:

:colbert: how much do you trust your inspector

He seemed personally offended that he couldn't find more wrong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

spwrozek posted:

It is either a leaking tub seal, silicon issue at the tub wall, leaking mixing valve, or the showerhead pipe coming out of the wall is loose/not have tape. If it is on and off it is a leak on the drain side, supply side would have water always coming in. I guess not your problem but pretty easy one to figure out.

You may be right and it is off and on (probably something related to the shower since it happens about once per day, but it doesn't help much since it's coming from a unit above mine. I'm on the bottom floor of a 4 story building and the previous leak that ended up going towards the adjacent wall and exiting at the bottom, under the carpet was from two floors up from what I heard.

Edit: Also spoke to the real estate agent for the first time today and this seems like the sort of undertaking that I'd probably never feel comfortable doing alone

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 12, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

There's a non zero chance they let that expire in 2025 :sweatdrop:

Doesn't seem to be the political will to outright repeal it, but I can see democrats letting it quietly expire, maybe

That's not going to happen. Old people care about it. And old people vote.

This is adjacent to loving with social security. Politicians simply can't do it in obvious ways or they and their party get fried from the feds all the way down to local at the next 2 elections or more. It's one of the classic "political third rails".

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Never mind.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're talking about, or point you're trying to make

When the trump administration passed the SALT cap they explicitly grandfathered in anyone who bought a house before ~2018, the law passed several years ago. This was how they passed the... jobs and tax cut bill, or whatever they called it. SALT cap of 750k gave them a lot of money to pass along to (presumably) owner operated plumbers and electricians etc. One of the provisions in the bill to get it passed was that it expires if not renewed in... I forget exactly I think the end of 2025, when 100% of the value becomes part of the state and local tax deduction equation again

Just a reminder for those not following along too closely, many of the SFH in the Miami, NJ, NYC and in particular the SF bay area, those homes are all selling for at least $700k, often 800, 900 and if you like 4+ bedrooms in a nice neighborhood easily touching $1.25mm for what's basically an upper middle class SFH, but you only get to deduct the first $750k

The bill is framed at punishing rich people who have for example an $8 million dollar house, and a $20 million dollar vacation home on the beach in Florida and get to write all that off. $750k is a lot of house in Alabama or rural Georgia but disproportionately punishes middle class families in economically prosperous blue states. Even Bernie Sanders was in favor of moving the cap closer to $1mm

On the flip side economists point to SALT as one of the main drivers of home price inflation and want to get rid of it entirely but as we pointed out, is a third rail of politics. Millennials view SALT cap as boomers pulling up the ladder behind them

I forget but I think homes purchased before ~1980 get to treat rentals as regular business income and not passive income which grants enormous tax benefits

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I think you're confusing the SALT cap and the mortgage interest deduction. SALT = State And Local Taxes, i.e. property tax, state income tax, sales tax, etc.

I brought up the SALT cap because it contributes to not being able to taking more than the standard deduction. Granted it's a high bar to meet for most people, but the only point I was trying to make is that there were a lot of changes made by the TCJA that, when combined, basically made the mortgage interest deduction moot.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're talking about, or point you're trying to make

When the trump administration passed the SALT cap they explicitly grandfathered in anyone who bought a house before ~2018, the law passed several years ago. This was how they passed the... jobs and tax cut bill, or whatever they called it. SALT cap of 750k gave them a lot of money to pass along to (presumably) owner operated plumbers and electricians etc. One of the provisions in the bill to get it passed was that it expires if not renewed in... I forget exactly I think the end of 2025, when 100% of the value becomes part of the state and local tax deduction equation again

Just a reminder for those not following along too closely, many of the SFH in the Miami, NJ, NYC and in particular the SF bay area, those homes are all selling for at least $700k, often 800, 900 and if you like 4+ bedrooms in a nice neighborhood easily touching $1.25mm for what's basically an upper middle class SFH, but you only get to deduct the first $750k

The bill is framed at punishing rich people who have for example an $8 million dollar house, and a $20 million dollar vacation home on the beach in Florida and get to write all that off. $750k is a lot of house in Alabama or rural Georgia but disproportionately punishes middle class families in economically prosperous blue states. Even Bernie Sanders was in favor of moving the cap closer to $1mm

On the flip side economists point to SALT as one of the main drivers of home price inflation and want to get rid of it entirely but as we pointed out, is a third rail of politics. Millennials view SALT cap as boomers pulling up the ladder behind them

I forget but I think homes purchased before ~1980 get to treat rentals as regular business income and not passive income which grants enormous tax benefits

You should do talk radio

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Epitope posted:

You should do talk radio

This country needs less talk radio and more listen radio.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

spwrozek posted:

Update: Maintenance finally came down after a week and me directly calling them rather than leaving it up to the front office to let them know through the ticketing system.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 13, 2023

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

At least they are fixing it now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

spwrozek posted:

At least they are fixing it now.

This is the second leak I've had in my apartment and at least the turnaround on this one was faster at least. They should've gotten to it when I told them there were bubbles forming in the walls under the paint and not when those bubbles popped and water started flowing out. The property manager thought the older ticket I put in was related to the previous leak which is why she didn't prioritize it (I also attached pictures which she obviously didn't see) and no one talked to me about it at all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Something to note on the argument about fixing it yourself vs having a land lord do it is that not everything is having a sewer line dug. There is a HUGE amount of convenience in seeing some minor bullshit like a broken cabinet door and just popping down to Home Depot to fix it with half an hours worth of loving around.

I lived in a bunch of mom and pop landlord rentals in grad school and oh my god the janky poo poo I had to put up with because they were too cheap or lazy to fix minor crap.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cyrano4747 posted:

Something to note on the argument about fixing it yourself vs having a land lord do it is that not everything is having a sewer line dug. There is a HUGE amount of convenience in seeing some minor bullshit like a broken cabinet door and just popping down to Home Depot to fix it with half an hours worth of loving around.

I lived in a bunch of mom and pop landlord rentals in grad school and oh my god the janky poo poo I had to put up with because they were too cheap or lazy to fix minor crap.

Yeah but be careful with this stuff if you have kids and a spouse that will be upset if you spend half a day working on something that you both agree needs to be done. I cannot count the number of times my wife has gotten upset after a couple hours and told me I need to come inside and help with the kids or cook something or whatever and then the project sits abandoned for a year because we have a busy life and I have ADD. It’s getting a little better as my also ADD having son gets old enough to hold things and turn a screwdriver with direction but he still slows everything down. My daughter can actually help now too when I can convince her to.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Oh god I'm having flashbacks to every project my wife wants done. I'm a perfectionist that will spend all the time I need to getting it exactly right, where she'll give me like 1-2 hours max and then it's "come help with bedtime/bath time/dinner/the toddler is angry". Just let me do the thing you'll be mad at me for not doing, without getting mad at me for not helping with all the other daily house tasks.

Makes me dread finishing the basement, but I have banked away like 2-3 weeks of PTO, so maybe I can let my OCD run free for 8 hours every day M-F for a couple weeks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
are you people like categorically unable to estimate and communicate timelines or what

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you people like categorically unable to estimate and communicate timelines or what

Most people aren't robots, and they say something like "Hey honey! I'm going downstairs to work on [THING YOU ASKED FOR LAST YEAR]. I'll be up later!" They don't say "Okay, you want X. That'll be 11 hours of labor plus $110 for the supplies, plus 45 min to get to Home Depot, plus 15 min of hunting online for better prices, plus..."

Add to that calculation that the toddler doesn't give a poo poo how many hours you need to do the job before demanding that Daddy come do rocketship.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I probably have terminal consultant / tech brain but unless it takes less than 15' and I have the materials on hand I'm going to plan that out and sandbag the gently caress out of whatever I tell my wife. The idea of embarking on a household project just like "oh I'm gonna go fix the way this door hangs today better start now" is insane to me.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I probably have terminal consultant / tech brain but unless it takes less than 15' and I have the materials on hand I'm going to plan that out and sandbag the gently caress out of whatever I tell my wife. The idea of embarking on a household project just like "oh I'm gonna go fix the way this door hangs today better start now" is insane to me.

(IMHO) yeah that's terminal consultant brain. I really do just kind of walk into the room and ask if they need me before I go fix that bathroom door or retexture the wall, etc. If they say they don't need me, I get started. :shrug: In fairness though, I also don't get interrupted as much as the OP from the sound of it. My wife is usually pretty good about letting me finish, though toddler will indeed demand rocketship.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thaaaaat’s ADHD!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Thaaaaat’s ADHD!

yeah, nah

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sounds like it. With a side dish of relationship issues and special family needs.

I wouldn't consider any of that to be a "this is generally how home ownership/repairs goes" because.....just wow. No. No it doesn't. That's a lot of projection.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

well it is for me :(

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Mostly my wife has some idea in her head of how long it "should" take, and my ability to convince her that some things take longer is limited. I'm slowly getting her to learn that if she wants it done well, she needs to listen when I tell her how long it'll take me. I'm generally pretty accurate with my time estimates in the end.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There's also the toddler time dilation effect to consider. One hour passes for the person on the outside while the one watching the kid experiences five.

Also funny that needing a sewer line replacement was mentioned because guess what the sewer scope turned up!

We're still going for it since the run is unusually short (so replacement is fairly cheap and falls solidly within our exclusion) and we can get it done before we move in. Added bonus is then we don't have to loving worry about it for decades. I've been in two houses with poo poo sewer and I'm all about a shiny new run as long as I don't have to use a porta-john for a week while getting it installed.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My dryer is rattling like a mother fucker but I didn't take it apart to examine it during nap time because my wife was running errands and if the toddler woke up I'd have dryer parts all over the basement floor for God knows how long until my next opportunity. That's just how it is when you have little kids, you have very little time to do certain things.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I try to limit myself to small, quiet tasks between bedtime and midnight, and luckily I take a day off during the week while she's in school to do anything more involved. It mostly keeps me ahead of my maintenance chores. Anything that overflows to longer than a single 8 hour block on that one day needs to be planned out in advance.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One Saturday as nap time approached I gathered tools and prepped the work side. But she decided it was a day to skip her nap. I think it was another month before I got back to doing that work. Because I'm bad at planning and relationships (actually because we do other things with our free time besides house work)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Epitope posted:

I think it was another month before I got back to doing that work. Because I'm bad at planning and relationships (actually because we do other things with our free time besides house work)

There's a whole page over in the house maintenance thread of one guy going "paying someone else to do house work is 100% worth it" and then 40 replies that are effectively :hmmyes:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yes but

Motronic posted:

This is why, even though you may not be a professional, if you are capable and have the time you do your own work.

This is the level I've come to expect of hired out work unless you are paying a premium and supervision every last second and are able to kill a job and tell people to gently caress off/make them fix their poo poo. Most people can't do that on their one project where they're trying to build their own house.

This entire thread is a study in getting hosed by not being in a position to say "hell no" starting with the ridiculous foundation.

Also hiring people for anything other than routine crap isn't easy either!

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Has anyone bought a house from open-door and want to share their experience? We're putting an offer on a house that's using them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Epitope posted:

Yes but

Also hiring people for anything other than routine crap isn't easy either!

Yeah this is where I wind up with a lot of stuff that’s not really diff but just time consuming. We started trying to get a roofer in May and the roof wasn’t completely finished until November. Then I discovered they hosed up something on the gutters and they came back in December.

Also with simple automotive tasks. It’s always like two weeks out to get on the schedule at the mechanic so gently caress it if it’s within my ability and not a shitload of time it’s just easier to do it myself.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Absolutely. I could spend my day off calling a contractor and trying to get them scheduled or getting the car to a shop, waiting and/or taking a loaner then going back when it's fixed.... Or just order the stuff and do whatever needs doing myself. I like fixing things and building things, so that's just a bonus.

Even if it's something I've never done before, I'm willing to try and fail first, as long as failure won't result in an inoperable car or a flooded house.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Going over the closing process and it is completely mind blowing how "you'll get an estimate but the exact amount will remain a mystery until the morning of closing" is just accepted as the way things are.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not only is it an estimate, but the estimate is usually thousands of dollars off. Most of the people processing your loan can just barely work a computer and their email system. Thread title reigns supreme

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Buying a home is a real eye opening process in how inefficient the entire real estate system is, maybe inefficient is the wrong word because it is incredibly good at sucking every last dollar it can from the buyer/seller.

Title companies feel like a total scam but everyone says you need one because what if someone comes along and lays claim to your property from some boundary gently caress up at town hall 75 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Popete posted:

Buying a home is a real eye opening process in how inefficient the entire real estate system is, maybe inefficient is the wrong word because it is incredibly good at sucking every last dollar it can from the buyer/seller.

Title companies feel like a total scam but everyone says you need one because what if someone comes along and lays claim to your property from some boundary gently caress up at town hall 75 years ago?

To me the fun part is understanding just how many people support their lives off of the one transaction. The waves of vultures no doubt raises the average home prices higher than would be ideal for society.