Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
that’s a fuckin wakizashi dude, you can’t fool me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
crosspost:

get your loved ones a pizza axe:

the runes just read "Valhalla gift" in English phonetics, but I'm uh wary of anything with runes these days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In almost every language in which it is used, besides English, “gift” means “poison”. :tinfoil:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Platystemon posted:

In almost every language in which it is used, besides English, “gift” means “poison”. :tinfoil:

the gift that does not keep on giving

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
I need to level a whetstone after I accidentally made a slicing motion with my knife over it and made a sort of dimple. Any suggestions on what I should use?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Guacamayo posted:

I need to level a whetstone after I accidentally made a slicing motion with my knife over it and made a sort of dimple. Any suggestions on what I should use?

Sheet of 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface, rub the stone against it

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 8, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guacamayo posted:

Take your pick.
  • A diamond plate
  • another whetstone of similar grit and hardness
  • loose silicon carbide grains on sheet of glass
  • sandpaper on a flat surface like a granite countertop
  • the flattest piece of sidewalk you can find

I generally use a diamond plate because I have one and it is convenient. Sandpaper may be the best combination of effort and results if flattening the stone is not something that you need to do often.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Awesome! So 220 sandpaper for any grit of whetstone?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah pretty much.

There are some situations where you may want a specific surface finish, but for kitchen knives and modern waterstones it doesn’t really matter.

Get wet/dry sandpaper and use it with water.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Platystemon posted:

Yeah pretty much.

There are some situations where you may want a specific surface finish, but for kitchen knives and modern waterstones it doesn’t really matter.

Get wet/dry sandpaper and use it with water.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive modern waterstone? I have an old whetstone that I've been using for over a decade, but it's seeing some wear and tear from multiple moves. Nothing major, but if I can replace it without breaking the bank that would be nice. Kitchen knives only.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Any suggestions for an inexpensive modern waterstone? I have an old whetstone that I've been using for over a decade, but it's seeing some wear and tear from multiple moves. Nothing major, but if I can replace it without breaking the bank that would be nice. Kitchen knives only.

I forget the brand but the german stones with 1000 grit on one side and 3000 grit on the other will do the trick for you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shooting Blanks posted:

My main stone is a Shapton Pro 2000.

It’s perfect for my use, but if you only have one stone and use it on chips or seriously dull knives, a Shapton Pro 1000 will get results faster while still being leaving an edge that’s sufficiently refined for kitchen duties.

These are forty or fifty dollar stones.

Kenshin posted:

I forget the brand but the german stones with 1000 grit on one side and 3000 grit on the other will do the trick for you.

This doesn’t ring any bells.

King 1000/6000 is a common recommendation, but that’s a Japanese company.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Messermeister makes a 1k/3k, or at least used to

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

if I had one stone: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shak1gr1.html

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have too many knives. Not by the standards of this thread, I'm positively restrained compared to some folks here, but I have 2 chef's knives, a santoku, a petty knife, a slicer, a bread knife, a slicer, a Chinese cleaver, a nakiri, and a half dozen (inexpensive) paring knives, which is objectively more than I need, and not counting my wife's chef's knife that I hate and don't use. But I'm still thinking about buying a new chef's knife from the Shun Classic series. (I don't know which one, between the standard and the Western; I guess the Western one has a little more belly? I guess probably the standard.) I know Shun is overpriced, but every time I use the one Shun knife I have, the nakiri, I love it. The D-shaped handle, the weight, the fact that it's stainless so I don't have to baby it, it's great. I still think I could have been perfectly happy just buying my old Victorinox and calling it a day, but it's just so pleasant to use. I sometimes think about getting a bunka too but that seems extra pointless.

My quest to find a tool-assisted way to keep my angle consistent when sharpening continues apace, with a DMT guide being delivered today. I still don't trust myself to sharpen my good knives myself, but I also don't think the guy I brought them to did a very good job last time. If I can get this down I can just do them all myself. If this doesn't work I think I might just bite the bullet and buy a WorkSharp. The edge currently on my Mac chef's knife is lousy -- I blame the guy I brought it to for sharpening last time -- so if I can do a good job on my cheap knives, that one will be the next up.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Be careful with the non edge metal using guide products. I did more damage (deep scratches that needed a series of automotive Sandpaper to get out) to one of my nicer knives due to the clamp than anything with the edge freehanding.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

guppy posted:

I have too many knives. Not by the standards of this thread, I'm positively restrained compared to some folks here, but I have 2 chef's knives, a santoku, a petty knife, a slicer, a bread knife, a slicer, a Chinese cleaver, a nakiri, and a half dozen (inexpensive) paring knives, which is objectively more than I need, and not counting my wife's chef's knife that I hate and don't use. But I'm still thinking about buying a new chef's knife from the Shun Classic series. (I don't know which one, between the standard and the Western; I guess the Western one has a little more belly? I guess probably the standard.) I know Shun is overpriced, but every time I use the one Shun knife I have, the nakiri, I love it. The D-shaped handle, the weight, the fact that it's stainless so I don't have to baby it, it's great. I still think I could have been perfectly happy just buying my old Victorinox and calling it a day, but it's just so pleasant to use. I sometimes think about getting a bunka too but that seems extra pointless.

My quest to find a tool-assisted way to keep my angle consistent when sharpening continues apace, with a DMT guide being delivered today. I still don't trust myself to sharpen my good knives myself, but I also don't think the guy I brought them to did a very good job last time. If I can get this down I can just do them all myself. If this doesn't work I think I might just bite the bullet and buy a WorkSharp. The edge currently on my Mac chef's knife is lousy -- I blame the guy I brought it to for sharpening last time -- so if I can do a good job on my cheap knives, that one will be the next up.

Nothing wrong with Shuns. Like you said, they're a little expensive for what you get and they tend to be pretty heavy, which some people like and some don't. The steel is fine and the fit and finish are very nice. Buy what you like!

As an aside, Shun will sharpen your knives for free forever, if you drop it off or pay for shipping (https://shun.kaiusa.com/sharpening). I've never used the service so I can't vouch for the quality of the edge, but a cook I used to work with took advantage of that pretty often.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a Shun Elite I got dirt cheap when the economy collapsed in 2008 and it’s been going strong since then.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

guppy posted:

I got my DMT angle guide thing and I think I'm not understanding something basic about it, despite having read the official instructions and the ones on sharpeningsupplies.com (where I bought it). I understand how to set the angle using the rods. But like most people, my stone is in a stone holder -- I have both waterstones and a DMT "stone," I'm using the DMT one for right now just to keep things simpler -- so when I set my knife to the angle I want, that's great with respect to the table I'm sharpening on, but the angle is all wrong once I have to pick it up put the edge on the stone... right? If I have it set to 18 degrees or whatever, once I'm putting the edge on a higher surface, isn't the angle going to be much, much more acute? The official DMT video seems to have a random piece of wood that's the same height as the top of the stone, but I don't have that. The whole point of buying this was to have everything I needed. Am I supposed to just... eyeball what it looks like, then adjust the rods to be about that height, because a. that's dumb and b. I don't think the rods are long enough.

I kind of regret not just shelling out for a WorkSharp or Wicked Edge a few years ago instead of taking all these half-rear end approaches to using a benchstone. The cost of a WorkSharp is probably about the same, maybe less.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I can definitely endorse buy once cry once and just get a bunch of Wicked Edge poo poo, an AngleCube, and an Edge On Up sharpness tester while you're at it. I've got hundreds of dollars in other crap that I'll probably never use again other than the Work Sharp belt stuff that I still use occasionally for fixing stuff that's seriously damaged.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Me rub knife against rock. All tribe do.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Brutal knife on knife action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj8z8ud8luI

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I watched some more videos, and according to this official DMT video, they seem to want you to compensate for the extra height of the stone by adding notches to incorporate the approximate height of the table. The whole point of this is to be sure you've got the appropriate angle, so that's frustrating. I got frustrated and set it aside, and sharpened two chef's knives, my Victorinox and also my Mac Pro that I didn't like the cutting action on -- I figured I already don't like how it's cutting and I'm not using it, the worst that happens is I still don't like how it's cutting and still don't use it -- freehand. I did already own a set of those blue angle guides, so I used those to get a feel for the initial angle and re-checked myself occasionally. I aimed for about 18 degrees on the Victorinox and 15 on the Mac. Am I consistent enough to maintain a difference of 3 degrees? No idea. Probably not.

It's still very frustrating. There are a lot of factors at work and it's very hard to know if I've got things right. It's maddening enough that I've lost confidence in my ability to even tell if my knives are sharp, both testing with a finger and using them. I was using a standard DMT DuoSharp set, which has only 600 grit (red) and 1200 grit (green); on reflection, 600 seems a bit low for a knife that doesn't need what you'd think of as "repair," and 1200 doesn't seem like that much, but sure, whatever. My waterstones are 1000 and 6000 grit but I was using the DMTs to keep things easy, because in theory, you're only supposed to need half a dozen strokes or so, per side, per grit. I never really believe that and I do more strokes, especially on harder knives like the Mac.

I felt less consistent than I'd like, but if I thought I caught myself being inconsistent, I reset and started again. I felt for a burr, but even after many strokes, although the knives do seem noticeably sharper, I never felt a burr, and I checked after each side. I cleaned them and honed them and diced half an onion with each after -- I need a diced onion for dinner anyway -- and, I mean, they cut. The Mac at 15 degrees does seem to cut better than the Victorinox at 18, which seems hard to believe since I don't trust my ability to keep the right angles; neither does what I would describe as "falling through" the onion, and I have no idea if it should do so at 1200 grit. I have a hard time keeping the angle while moving the knife across the stone, so I tend to just do one section of the blade at a time. I press a little harder than I think I should have to, because I can't detect anything happening if I don't; when I press a bit harder, I can see a dark line start to appear where the edge is grinding, which I think is probably the metal being ground off the edge?

At any rate, I'm beyond frustrated. I'm close to giving up and just investing in a WorkSharp, or even a Wicked Edge, although the Wicked Edge seems outlandishly priced. I don't understand how y'all do this. It's not enough to do what I'm doing consistently -- it's impossible to even tell if what I'm doing is right and if I should keep doing it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My dude you should just take a breath and feel for a burr. If you don't get a burr at 600, moving to 1k+ will take absolute ages unless you are basically honing with the stone.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Me rub knife against rock. All tribe do.

The post above is right.

I get where you are, guppy, I was also there. Sharpen freehand again next week, or whenever you’re less frustrated. Cut something beforehand and cut it again afterwards, and you’ll feel the difference in sharpness even if you’re not at “fall through the veg” level. Sharpness is a continuum, not a binary. You’ll get better and better at it every time you do it, if you try. And you’ll learn how to feel if you’re improving the edge or not, that’s also a skill that you’ll develop over time.

You cook, right? You’re presumably better now at frying an egg, dicing an onion, grilling a steak, whatever, than you were when you started. It’s the same kind of thing, you just have to keep doing it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think I'm scared to use my fancy cleaver. :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I started by freehand sharpening decent but neglected hand-me-down knives that I couldn’t possibly make worse.

My first attempts weren’t paper-push-cutting monsters (which is still my usual test), but they were significant improvements on what the knives had been like before.

I’m still not the world’s greatest sharpener. My knives have scratches that I’ve never polished out, but I’ll be damned if they aren’t sharp.

Another thing I do that makes me not a “honemeister” is that if I want the sharpest possible edge, I finish on a high-grit stone. I know that it’s possible, with careful technique and burr control, to put a shaving edge on a knife with nothing but a literal red brick, but I find that it is faster and easier to just move up in grit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I broke down got an electric sharpener. It has three different grit belts, and left and right slots for each grit, for a total of 6 slots, which keep the knife at the right angle for each slot. You do the traditional passes back and forth on one grit until your raise a burr then move to the the next one.

I don’t know what folks think about these but my knives are way sharper than I ever got them with the sharp maker triangle (I think that’s what it was called) or the edge pro knock off I had. I’m sure that was due to user error but I can pull this thing out and sharpen a knife and put it away in just a couple of minutes and it’s easy. I don’t get the zen satisfaction of freehanding on a stone but my knives are all stupid sharp now.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I hated the edge pro knockoff so much I gave it away. I remembering basically re-profiling a cleaver with it since it had to have a perfect angle and that's not a guarantee with a knife.

There was a dude who did freehand at the farmers market without ever flattening his stones, so they'd get hella concave. He couldn't hone a razor or do a single bevel, but practice practice practice and knives will get sharp.

FGR, is your edge lasting?

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 16, 2023

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I hated the edge pro knockoff so much I gave it away. I remembering basically re-profiling a cleaver with it since it had to have a perfect angle and that's not a guarantee with a knife.

There was a dude who did freehand at the farmers market without ever flattening his stones, so they'd get hella concave. He couldn't hone a razor or do a single bevel, but practice practice practice and knives will get sharp.

FGR, is your edge lasting?

So far. I used it on my main knives in October and I’m still super happy with them. I regularly use a ceramic honing rod as well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I broke down got an electric sharpener. It has three different grit belts, and left and right slots for each grit, for a total of 6 slots, which keep the knife at the right angle for each slot. You do the traditional passes back and forth on one grit until your raise a burr then move to the the next one.

I don’t know what folks think about these but my knives are way sharper than I ever got them with the sharp maker triangle (I think that’s what it was called) or the edge pro knock off I had. I’m sure that was due to user error but I can pull this thing out and sharpen a knife and put it away in just a couple of minutes and it’s easy. I don’t get the zen satisfaction of freehanding on a stone but my knives are all stupid sharp now.

Which one did you get?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I came across this video by coincidence today.

The As Seen on TV one is bizarre.

Some of the edges are brutal under the microscope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBINMUdlJ14

e: There’s also this one on the same channel. I haven’t watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEDyYJJ6f9M

e2: O.K. this one has a good twist in that even with no experience and the cheapest whetstone on Amazon, he still did well.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 16, 2023

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

Which one did you get?

It’s called Chef’s Choice model 15xv. I picked it out after reading reviews, thought I don’t remember who recommended it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It’s called Chef’s Choice model 15xv. I picked it out after reading reviews, thought I don’t remember who recommended it.

That's what I thought, yeah. A lot of people seem to be going that route, I think probably because Consumer Reports and America's Test Kitchen both recommend it. It doesn't seem different mechanically from any other pull-through sharpener, electric or not, which I've always been told is bad for your knives and produces an inferior edge. Always possible that's just an old chef's tale, but I am disinclined to risk my knives on it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

That's what I thought, yeah. A lot of people seem to be going that route, I think probably because Consumer Reports and America's Test Kitchen both recommend it. It doesn't seem different mechanically from any other pull-through sharpener, electric or not, which I've always been told is bad for your knives and produces an inferior edge. Always possible that's just an old chef's tale, but I am disinclined to risk my knives on it.

When I think of pull through sharpeners, I think of those things with metal or ceramic wheels in them and. no motor or anything, you just pull a knife through and it scrapes off material. This process is much more akin to stones sharpening in that each pass is only one side of the blade and you're checking for a burr, etc. Who knows how my knives look under a microscope, but they're sharper than the factory edge and so far it seems to be holding up. My 6 inch boner may need a retouch, but that may be because the metal is softer with it being flexible. Or just because of how it's used.

fake edit: they use abrasive belts which I think is fine and should be relatively consistent until the belt wears out. I mean, it's not like when you send your knives off to be sharpened that some dude is doing them on a whetstone. They're using a wheel or a belt to do it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

guppy posted:

I watched some more videos, and according to this official DMT video, they seem to want you to compensate for the extra height of the stone by adding notches to incorporate the approximate height of the table. The whole point of this is to be sure you've got the appropriate angle, so that's frustrating.

What he’s saying in the video is the notches are set up assuming you’re using those guided stones. If you’re using something super thick like that stone in the video you should add notches equal to the thickness of the stone.

You don’t have to be exact. Just get close.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am unworthy.

https://i.imgur.com/GohqD3X.mp4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there ever a reason to use a nakiri when santokus exist? Every time I use my nakiri I get disappointed that it doesn’t have a tip

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is there ever a reason to use a nakiri when santokus exist? Every time I use my nakiri I get disappointed that it doesn’t have a tip

Use whatever knife you are most comfortable with! That said, a nakiri is made for more of a downward slicing motion, and a santoku for a pushing/pulling slicing motion, as well as rocking for chopping. So it may depend on what your ingredients are--the nakiri is primarily for use with veggies. Because of the generally more flat edge shape than a santoku, you can also pick up your chopped veggies with the knife & a hand a bit easier than with a knife with a more curved blade.

That said, I primarily use a ~8" chef knife with a pretty extreme tip on it for almost everything I do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay thanks for that

I think I realized where my confusion came from

My santoku is pretty flat so I’ve been using it for push cuts