Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Truly thinking the birds we occasionally see are not an accident and are Nayuta watching through lesser beings like Makima used to do. Which may also explain that Nayuta could potentially feel like she “owns” Denji in a way stronger than Asa/Yoru.

E: also I really truly thought our boy was about to get his spine removed but this is way funnier than I could have expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Dexo posted:

It's probably more likely that Neither Asa nor Denji thinks that Asa 'owns' him yet.

We have mostly just seen Asa falling for Denji

Well, it was Yoru who did this -- and she did believe she at this point "owned" him at that point. So either Denji is already a weapon / due to being a hybrid is immune OR both parts of consciousness have to believe it. I think the latter makes more sense, she seems unaware of what happened in the aquarium and Makima didn't have such limits on her power.

Also I love the expression in this panel:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sube posted:

Well, it was Yoru who did this -- and she did believe she at this point "owned" him at that point. So either Denji is already a weapon / due to being a hybrid is immune OR both parts of consciousness have to believe it. I think the latter makes more sense, she seems unaware of what happened in the aquarium and Makima didn't have such limits on her power.

Yoru and Asa are the same person, when it comes to this. It's why Yoru was picking up Asa feeling a type of way about Denji and feeling it herself.

Neither of them are in an actual position where they 'Own' Denji. Infact it's probably closer to Denji 'owning' them. Yoru just couldn't tell the difference and thought Denji had to be as down bad as Asa was, when he very much was not.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 17, 2023

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

"I'm not owned, I'm not owned" I scream as I bury my face in the pillow because I have feelings for the chainsaw boy

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

sube posted:

I do like the theory that devils can be turned into a weapon, but Denji/Pochita cant because they’re already a weapon devil.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I do like the theory that devils can be turned into a weapon, but Denji/Pochita cant because they’re already a weapon devil.

It would be very funny if this finally works all that happens is that Denji transforms and he's very confused why since he didn't pull the cord.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Going back and thinking, has Yoru been able to turn anything that Asa didn't think she 'owned', I legitimately could be forgetting something, but at least as far as my memory goes that is the case.

This also kinda works when looking at the Aquarium where Asa clearly didn't actually buy or own it, but she managed to convince herself she did, and thus it worked. The entire power seems based off of Asa's views.

And the Lady that is falling for Denji is not currently thinking that she owns Denji.

mostly

Arianya posted:

"I'm not owned, I'm not owned" I scream as I bury my face in the pillow because I have feelings for the chainsaw boy

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
She just needs to say "Chainsaw Man" instead of "Denji" and she's golden

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Dexo posted:

Yoru and Asa are the same person, when it comes to this. It's why Yoru was picking up Asa feeling a type of way about Denji and feeling it herself.

Neither of them are in an actual position where they 'Own' Denji. Infact it's probably closer to Denji 'owning' them. Yoru just couldn't tell the difference and thought Denji had to be as down bad as Asa was, when he very much was not.

Well it's unclear, to my knowledge, how the owning portion with Yoru works - my thoughts beforehand was mostly that it was similar to Makima, so more what one believes than anything else. Seems more unlikely now, though. I'm unsure they are the same person wrt this, mostly because in the aquarium Asa still possessed the power despite Yoru not being present and Yoru in early chapters converting Tanaka into a weapon on her own. I think most likely is that for Yoru / Asa the person has to have an actual relationship with them and not just what they think is the case.

sube fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 17, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
We just have established in the previous chapter that the War power only needs that the owner is confident that she owns whatever she wants to turn into a weapon and Yoru was confident more than enough that dating = owning Denji, no matter how dumb the reasoning was. It's far more likely that Denji is simply immune to being turned into a weapon, same as he was immune to being turned into a zombie, or to being turned into a doll. Also next chapter is Nayuta time! :woop:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
soon

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also now we gotta wait 2 weeks ugh

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I tried to turn my classmate in to a weapon and all I got was a stupid crush

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

2000 yen for an all-night mummy movie marathon sounds like a great second date deal considering they spent a million and change on their first one

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
loving christ

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
THE GALL of this STUPID BOY not to turn into a weapon i THOUGHT he LIKED ME but APPARENTLY i was WRONG

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bless these beautiful morons

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I love this manga. So much.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I (17F) tried to rip out the spine of my classmate (17M) after we went on a date, but I couldn't. Does this mean he doesn't like me??

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chainsaw Man(ga): That’s a fun way to say goodbye!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have been wondering if Denji being a "weapon" already might be what makes him immune rather than anything like being Chainsaw or the more emotional logical rules of ownership. I had considered he didn't think of himself as "owned" but I don't think that matters, only the "owner's" perception similar to Maxima's control not relying on you feeling inferior only on her feeling superior.

I've also never been so stressed out just from reading the chapter title while waiting for my coffee to brew

I am curious also if Nayuta will recognise Yoru. I had anticipated this interaction and Yoru trying to kill her leading to Denji going chainsaw mode while reading last week's chapter up until how it ended.

I think this chapter also seems to confirm other people can't see the Yoru scars. They're just there for us the reader, and that's also how it appears to Asa. So I think that was Asa commenting about "where did those scars come from" in that untethered speech bubble when she asked Yoshida to go out with her

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm also assuming that Denji has already "died" a bunch during movie nights. So it's possible Yoru and Nayuta won't recognise each other if Yoru didn't recognise Fami, and our reveal of Denji to Asa is after she sees him die and res lol.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

denji spinal cord sword.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lmao

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I love these dorks so much.

It's good to see Denji still takes most things in stride,him petting Yoru back was great.

Also I can't believe that after chiding him for caring about money too much, Asa is against a 2000 yen movie marathon.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Scallop Eyes posted:

I love these dorks so much.

It's good to see Denji still takes most things in stride,him petting Yoru back was great.

Also I can't believe that after chiding him for caring about money too much, Asa is against a 2000 yen movie marathon.

I think she's just being lovely because she's trying to make him feel bad because she's upset over thinking he doesn't fancy her

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

manga owns

lmao

sube
Nov 7, 2022

love the parallel

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

2000 yen is about 20 dollars, so if that price is per person that's 40 dollars for them both to watch mummy movies all night, not counting food and drinks (which you're going to want if you're there all night, that's how they get ya).

I think I agree with Asa here. It sounds like a fun time, but that price is way too high for two students without jobs or parents, and Denji is trying to save money.

The head pet scene was adorable, Asa and Denji are cute together! Hopefully she can follow the rules and not get murdered by his little sister.

....why is the Devil Hunter club president spying on them? Stalking Denji is Yoshida's job, don't cramp his style man.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

2000 yen is about 20 dollars, so if that price is per person that's 40 dollars for them both to watch mummy movies all night, not counting food and drinks (which you're going to want if you're there all night, that's how they get ya).

I think I agree with Asa here. It sounds like a fun time, but that price is way too high for two students without jobs or parents, and Denji is trying to save money.

The head pet scene was adorable, Asa and Denji are cute together! Hopefully she can follow the rules and not get murdered by his little sister.

....why is the Devil Hunter club president spying on them? Stalking Denji is Yoshida's job, don't cramp his style man.

Not to mention it's in the 90s, so it's even more expensive!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yoshida, Famine and the devil hunter club all shadowing Denji and Asa's dates. Please.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It would be interesting if the Devil Hunter Club president due to being obsessed with CSM has actually worked out it's Denji. Though I guess after last chapter it seems to be Asa he's interested in

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I wonder if he’s looking for the Justice Devil and assuming it’s her

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I wonder if he’s looking for the Justice Devil and assuming it’s her

It might be though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_the_Apocalypse

quote:

The third Horseman rides a black horse and is popularly understood to be Famine, as the Horseman carries a pair of balances or weighing scales (Greek ζυγὸν, zygon), indicating the way that bread would have been weighed during a famine.[5][34] Other authors interpret the third Horseman as the "Lord as a Law-Giver," holding Scales of Justice.[40]

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Famine also does that head tilt thing making her earrings looks like tilted scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Very pleased with this outcome, but it's crazy to think that Fujimoto could have done literally anything there and the worst I would have said was, "hmmm, don't know how that will work for the story, but let's see how this goes."