Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Len posted:

I miss pre time skip Franky

Same. Mostly happy with the other timeskip redesigns, but Franky's one was the only real backwards step in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

reading the spoilers is going on a boring adventure

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Reading the spoilers are a kickass adventure

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

reading the spoilers is going on a boring adventure

The spoiler free posters are Luffy, and the spoiler readers are Robin.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Spoiler readers are Caribou

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got the tude now posted:

Spoiler readers are Caribou

harsh but fair

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

spoiler readers simply love one piece more

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Reading or not reading spoilers is not a big deal, also the people who are reading and enjoying the spoilers don’t care if anyone else reads them, they are having fun

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

It's easy to just not do something

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

kdrudy posted:

It's easy to just not do something

yep it's hard to read spoilers.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

:5:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Same. Mostly happy with the other timeskip redesigns, but Franky's one was the only real backwards step in my opinion.

I love his redesign (and insta-changing hairstyles) and it gives him a real presence befitting of the Pirate King's crew, but we definitely didn't get enough time with Franky Classic. He's also the one who changed the most so it feels incongruous compared to the rest of the crew; Chopper got some extra forms, but even his base form change was basically just a new hat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He also got a new head shape.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Chopper got some extra forms

Kung Fu Point was a huge mistake, and a blatant commitment to not giving Chopper any more focus in combat

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kung Fu Point is cute, I liked the other forms tho

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

holy poo poo the blind admiral is such a dick. "oh you all werent using the ruined remnants of your homes, right? let me launch them all into the air so they can get extra pummeled"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I love his redesign (and insta-changing hairstyles) and it gives him a real presence befitting of the Pirate King's crew, but we definitely didn't get enough time with Franky Classic. He's also the one who changed the most so it feels incongruous compared to the rest of the crew; Chopper got some extra forms, but even his base form change was basically just a new hat.

Not even that. He just covered up his old hat with a new hat.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
His old hat Awakened.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

holy poo poo the blind admiral is such a dick. "oh you all werent using the ruined remnants of your homes, right? let me launch them all into the air so they can get extra pummeled"

This is the oddest critique of fujitora ive ever read. Like not even saying this in a mean way just kind of tilting my head here

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Personal property rights don't exist in Fujitora's brand of "Justice".

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mabels big day posted:

This is the oddest critique of fujitora ive ever read. Like not even saying this in a mean way just kind of tilting my head here

Of all the people in that arc to get mad at lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Doflamingo is literally a mass murderer who usurped a totally peaceful nation but fujitora is the rear end in a top hat

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

yeah I mean obviously, but its not like doflamingo ever really played at anything but. Sincerely caring about casualties while also opening by making the island look like the moon or dropping metors is just weird. like drat man, people were still picking through that rubble and poo poo, its like 48 hours after the bird cage

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Look, it’s anime, the bystanders are fine. And I presume that person isn’t done with the arc bc we know it ties in with the events in the end

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Read the spoilers. No worse for wear for doing it so far. Maybe a little weak, but I think that's the flu shot.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I just read spoilers, discuss them on other websites, and then wait until we have good scans to discuss them on this thread.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm still new to these threads but I don't get why spoiler chat is forbidden. Spoiler bars exist

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Len posted:

I'm still new to these threads but I don't get why spoiler chat is forbidden. Spoiler bars exist

Because the thread would be 90% spoiler bars for like six days per week. This exact discussion has been in this thread 100 times before and that's just what was decided last time. I think it's a good compromise at least.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 18, 2023

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Plus we already end up with at least one page of half-spoilerbar, half-unblocked spoilers whenever we get even low quality speedscans.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Man with Hat posted:

Because the thread would be 90% spoiler bars for like six days per week. This exact discussion has been in this thread 100 times before and that's just what was decided last time. I think it's a good compromise at least.

This is exactly what happens and it sucks. Leaks are not worth discussing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you can go find the spoilers where they exist. this is like the one community that just doesnt have spoilers, which allows for actual one piece discussion to happen sometimes. weird.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i kind of wish tcb was still the only game in town sometimes just because that centered the bulk of attention here around a coherent experience of a chapter lol

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

My thoughts are that the text spoilers are purely someone's interpretation of the chapter. They frequently mischaracterize or otherwise interpret events in a way that can be really frustrating. And that's not even counting when they're straight up wrong. When they were allowed I'd go back and read the discussion after the chapter dropped, and it was always a bad discussion, mostly speculating about what the leaker meant and basically never having an interesting discussion about the events of the chapter.

In short, they lead to bad discussions. If someone wants to read them, that's fine. But there's never enough context to actually have a good discussion, so it's really just not worth turning this discussion forum into a minefield.

I personally would still be fine if most folks did want to discuss them. I'd just stay out of the thread during the danger days. But I'm glad that most folks here also don't want that kind of disruptive discussion.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Violen posted:

i kind of wish tcb was still the only game in town sometimes just because that centered the bulk of attention here around a coherent experience of a chapter lol

It's a lot less effort to push out a translation of just text than everything else that goes into even a moderate quality scan release

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
It seems ludicrous not to have a spoiler/non-spoiler split of threads at this point, honestly. We have this same discussion on a monthly basis.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

anime was right posted:

you can go find the spoilers where they exist. this is like the one community that just doesnt have spoilers, which allows for actual one piece discussion to happen sometimes. weird.

yeah

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I finally finished One Piece Odyssey after grinding it out for a week straight, and here are my thoughts on how it connects to the main story:

(Big game spoilers, duh)

The Divine Breath is basically advanced mecha technology built by an Ancient people. We only just recently established that Ancient technology actually means futuristic technology rather than primitive technology, so this lines up. Since the Divine Breath was a mechanical fish able to control the elements, I'm betting that whatever took out the rebelling country Sabo was nearby was probably some kind of flying jellyfish UFO-type thing able to shoot lasers from the sky.

In other words, the reason the Five Elders are so afraid of Ancient History and Tech is that a.) it is deniable proof that removes the legitimacy of the World Government, and b.) is a kind of weapon of mass destruction that has the power to reshape the entire world in ways that the World Government cannot control (or would at least like to have a hold over itself, like with Uranus).

This is all stuff we could have surmised anyways, but Odyssey provides some backing evidence that this is the trajectory the story will take as the current arc unfolds, considering Vegapunk is basically a walking lore dump device.

I'm also betting by the time we get to Blackbeard and Shanks having direct relevance to the Strawhats again we will get a shitload of lore dumped on us on the true history of the world in the not-too-distant-future.

I know that the game is not exactly canon, but it helps elucidate some important elements of the main story in the way that Film Z, Stampede, Film Red, et al do.

E: As for the game itself, it has some weak spots like egregious padding with backtracking, a lot of reused assets, etc. But the game itself is a nice ride. Some sections were fun to play through, but others I basically I had to push myself through to complete just to see the end of it all. It wears out its welcome in certain places, even with sped-up battles and running away from certain battles. I wouldn't recommend it for a full-price purchase, but definitely when it goes on sale. I think the 7/10 reviews are fair and on the mark. It takes about 40-45 hours to beat if you're being somewhat thorough in some areas.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Are all of the strawhats fun to use and have unique and worthwhile skills/moves?

Or is it like, just kill everything with luffy/zoro/sanji mindlessly