Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

One day I aspire to be paint like that bad rear end galactic purple you've got going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

SnakesRevenge posted:

Finished yet another EG Grandpa yesterday. I really like the way the green came out (all colors are mica powders mixed with clear)

I also made a low-effort display at work

Fake edit: I did realize that I left the head piece with the camera and emblem on the runner last night, I'll need to get it painted and snapped in later this week.

Love a good flaky paint.

Quoting for a new page.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Hell yeah, I really dig this paint job. Gives a real old MSV art style vibe.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Managed to secure an HG Aerial for retail price so feeling pretty good right now. If you're in the UK as of 22:32 GMT there are still a bunch of WFM suits available at https://www.gundammad.co.uk/ if you're searching.

edit; Gone. :(

Also hey I blinked and suddenly my backlog is six suits deep. Who's responsible for this!??!!?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 18, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This is one of the most impressive scratchbuilds I've ever seen, and that's including the 1/100 scale Salamis and White Base by the same artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPPoT0G_jso

The attention paid to the city sections is amazing.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Tin Tim posted:

Sweet now do a set that's only plugs for the holes you don't use!

By now I've found ways to plug them myself with a consistent look but still :colbert:

:eyepop:

One of the builds with which I am most pleased is a straight lineart build of the GM Cannon Space type where the only modification (besides paint and waterslides) was to delete the arm mounting holes.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Very clean and good looking. I like it!

Also it's pretty satisfying imo when you accomplish somewhat more advanced modeling tasks like this. Due to its modular nature the 30MM line has a lot of holes and that bothered me too much to just paint it like that but I'm also not skilled enough to fill them with putty. Sanding that would also have been harsh and killed some detail. Some holes can be hidden with various parts from the Builder Parts Panel set but ultimately I settled on using small round-head nails. The width of the head was just below the size of the holes so the fit was smooth. Then I measured out how deep the holes were and cut down the nails to fit. Carefully inserted some glue to prevent overflow and put the cut nails in with a tweezer. Worked pretty well for me! Though if you don't want to paint you probably need to search a bit to find nails in a color that fits your model.

mllaneza posted:

1/100 scale Salamis

:yum:

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

just finished Sazabi, did Nu a month or two ago. two of the best kits I've ever built

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Bill Posters posted:

One of the builds with which I am most pleased is a straight lineart build of the GM Cannon Space type where the only modification (besides paint and waterslides) was to delete the arm mounting holes.

Now I'm going to just be staring at the holes in all my completed kits.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/diablo1988911/status/1615587288691675136?s=46&t=VZzSPxGNoMIJ_UjoxaI9dA

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
drat that rules

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Once I finish this marathon of building 40k models (last model) i'll spice things up with this strike freedom gundam while I still have the energy before my pathfinder thing tonight

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Finally managed to get the seam lines out of the back wings and the buster rifles.

nothing more fun then getting 6 different 12 inch or so long seam lines out of parts that already don't snap together all that well to begin with! :suicide:

Seriously why did bandai have such a tough time designing wings that actually snapped together tightly?

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 18, 2023

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Oh god. I've been slowly working the RG Hi-Nu for months now, and was saving the hands for last when I was ready to start posing. Except it turns out that at some point I threw away an "empty" runner that still had that back of the trigger hand! I was all ready to go sorting through trash bags until I realized I must have tossed it weeks ago. :smith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

This kit kinda sucked a bunch!

Everything is held together with the worst fitting ball joints known to mankind, even with a smear of nail polish they just slide on out constantly. If you breathe on it it will fall apart. The instructions were unclear, wrong in several places and tells you where the stickers go at the end instead of during. Anything that wasn't a ball joint needed a vise grip to get to fit together properly, I broke one of the drat feet and had to switch to the wheels.. if you told me this was a crane game prize I'd believe it. Makes me appreciate Bandai and Koto more, I guess. Still, it's cute at least and as long as I don't move it ever it should be alright.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Oh god. I've been slowly working the RG Hi-Nu for months now, and was saving the hands for last when I was ready to start posing. Except it turns out that at some point I threw away an "empty" runner that still had that back of the trigger hand! I was all ready to go sorting through trash bags until I realized I must have tossed it weeks ago. :smith:

Yeah this is why I never throw out runners until I'm done.

Hit up Mecha Parts Guy once maintenance on his server or w/e ends.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
The time limit on Bluefin replacements is the strongest argument for keeping your backlog small

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This one was a little more frustrating than other kits I did, primarily because the head spikey things kept coming off. tamiya thin cement should work to forcibly keep those in place, right?

Also, a lot of flat surfaces where the Raser could not for some reason touch, assume it's concave or I need to use the big semi-soft sticks, but I was losing interesting in doing that right now over finishing the build. I'll fix the wings later.

I still don't have markers or pens, maybe next month, not really in the budget this month.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 19, 2023

boz
Oct 16, 2005

wdarkk posted:

He packed up shop and is done.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Monaghan posted:

Finally managed to get the seam lines out of the back wings and the buster rifles.

nothing more fun then getting 6 different 12 inch or so long seam lines out of parts that already don't snap together all that well to begin with! :suicide:

Seriously why did bandai have such a tough time designing wings that actually snapped together tightly?

The PG Wing Zero was never particularly good, and I can’t imagine that 20+ years of near-constant repops have done the molds any favors.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

wdarkk posted:

He actually ended the business so no dice

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Gundam Rose is going back up on P-Bandai tonight at 9pm EST for those who missed out on it the first time, I remember hearing it sold out quick
https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2619353001002

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

boz posted:

He packed up shop and is done.

Oh, oh no.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I imagine everyone goes through this when they seriously get into this hobby but man the existence of P-Bandai is kind of annoying and really sets off my FOMO. Have had to remind myself "no you don't need that HG Hazel you want to focus on MG kits and you already have a seven-suit backlog already, somehow".

I imagine you get used to it or go broke.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jim Spartan is back on preorder :f5:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
happy valimar day

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

happy valimar day

No freaking way

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

happy valimar day

Ooh, cheers. I had to check my inbox and update payment details for mine.

Now I just gotta wait for Dann of Thursday and the HG YF-19, which are also due this month, and make a probably-expensive shipping package. :shepspends:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Where's the best place to buy it in the usa?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I know Primaris are supposed to be taller but this is a bit ridiculous :v:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

kirbysuperstar posted:

happy valimar day

This did remind me to update my address with Gundam Planet, so thanks.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just put together the HG Lfrith and starting on Guel's Dilanza. Man I wish they would do the instructions in all color, the colored pages make it so much easier to pick up the correct frames.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
P-Bandai stuff is up and the Rose, Messers, and GM Spartan are surprisingly still in stock

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Jim Spartan is back on preorder :f5:

Serious bummer that it and Sleggar's can't be consolidated, but I'm a sucker for Jims in general.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

anybody built rg gaogaigar? there's a step with the stealth gao that calls for a piece of wire. i started this a couple months ago and am just coming back to it and do not see any wire in the box. it's possible i may have thrown it out? is the wire in a bag by itself, or part of a runner? i can probably find something to replace it but i just want to make sure i'm not being absentminded and just missing it

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

pulled the trigger on the july set of p-bandai stuff. i decided that at 22 robots in my backlog i should probably check myself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JoeGlassJAw posted:

anybody built rg gaogaigar? there's a step with the stealth gao that calls for a piece of wire. i started this a couple months ago and am just coming back to it and do not see any wire in the box. it's possible i may have thrown it out? is the wire in a bag by itself, or part of a runner? i can probably find something to replace it but i just want to make sure i'm not being absentminded and just missing it

The wire is usually in a bag independent of the runners, yeah. Sounds like you might have accidentally thrown it out.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I just finished the Machinedramon right before New Years and the wires were in a separate bag too (not the GGG, but still Bandai)

They are easily replaceable at a lot of hardware stores though

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

The insane shipping on the p-Bandai stuff makes just buying one of something ridiculous. I was about to get a Spartan, but looking at the $40 total when I was checking out and thinking about all the other things I could get for that stayed my hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i bought the last valimor from GP. :ohdear:

also a bunch of probably absolutely junk non-brand action bases from china, I guess we'll see if they end up being total junk or not.