Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

The best thing JBL did was wear the towel around his neck, under his jacket when he would come down to the ring.

He saw some guy do it in the gym he was at one day and it pissed him off so much that he started doing it for more heat. I appreciate that to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Second Gear Crew huckin' chairs at people and just smashing em over and over with chunks of debris sometimes reminds me of the APA.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

JBL at his best wished he was a Wish.com Stan Hansen instead of being a dollar store bootleg Stan Hansen

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

APA Bradshaw was great and I liked seeing him on tv when I was younger.

JBL sucked because who the gently caress wants to see the WWE's take on George Dubya Bush?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vandar posted:

APA Bradshaw was great and I liked seeing him on tv when I was younger.

JBL sucked because who the gently caress wants to see the WWE's take on George Dubya Bush?

I mean, at least JBL was a heel and showed rear end sometimes.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It holding the WWE title that didn't work. APA Bradshaw is one of my all-time favourites, watching him wreck stuff with Faarooq. Who wants to see that wrestler strip away everything that was good about them and be thrust into the world title scene. 2004 SmackDown was horrible.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was pretty checked out on wrestling during his transition from APA Bradshaw to JBL so I was very surprised to see the guy I remembered as a midcard no-nonsense asskicker was now in the main event with a boring rich guy gimmick when I tuned back in.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What other "overnight" gimmick changes like that have there been? Where not only was it something completely different, but not nearly enough time had passed to keep people from saying "Weren't you just a wizard two weeks ago?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What other "overnight" gimmick changes like that have there been? Where not only was it something completely different, but not nearly enough time had passed to keep people from saying "Weren't you just a wizard two weeks ago?"

Chavo dropping the Kerwin White gimmick for obvious reasons.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Goldust becoming "I Love Jesus" Dustin Runnels out of the blue was the worst thing I had ever seen in wrestling at the time, though granted it was part of the Goldust storyline ultimately. Though I seem to remember he burned the costume rather than just coming out as a new guy one week, so that is probably not the same thing as there was an obvious transition in the character

Comedy option: Fuego Dos. Those Runnels boys I tell ya hwat

Apparently Scrypts is having this issue on NXT if Botchamania is to be believed?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I'm talking about a gimmick change where everyone is expected to accept that this is a completely different character or even person and not say a word despite them being well-known and/or their last appearance being just a few weeks/months ago.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Snob Hunter Hearst Helmsley to crotch-chopping Triple H had a pretty quick transition.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Was there any reason for Nikki Cross becoming Nikki ASH?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Kennel posted:

Was there any reason for Nikki Cross becoming Nikki ASH?

As far as I know, mostly that her old character was dead in the water because Nikki Cross was a midcarder in a division that gives midcarders nothing, and she had a superhero idea in her back pocket. She convinced people in creative to give it a shot, they handled it horribly, and the rest is history.

Unless you mean in-universe, which is a lot more relevant to the rest of the conversation. She definitely had a few weeks of thanking the audience for believing in her and making superhero metaphors before she went full superhero, so there was some transition between gimmicks.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What about Umaga? How long had it been since he was in Three Minute Warning?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

What about Umaga? How long had it been since he was in Three Minute Warning?

A few years. 3 Minute Warning was in 2002, was released in 2003, and he came back and debuted as Umaga after Wrestlemania 2006

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There was a thing where Umaga started cutting promos out of nowhere. After a few weeks, John Morrison reacted with, "Oh, that's right. You talk now."

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Hurricane Helms going from WCW Cruiserweight to superhero overnight.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

A few years. 3 Minute Warning was in 2002, was released in 2003, and he came back and debuted as Umaga after Wrestlemania 2006

Thanks, I remembered it being a much shorter time period.

I think Jacques Rougeau turning into the Mountie was about a year.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, I'm talking about a gimmick change where everyone is expected to accept that this is a completely different character or even person and not say a word despite them being well-known and/or their last appearance being just a few weeks/months ago.

Fuego Dos is supposedly serpentico.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
One Man Gang to Akeem?

Too Much to Too Cool?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One time Brian Adams walked away from being in the nWo and was shown entering a limo that was implied to belong to KISS. He made a couple non-wrestling appearances as the KISS Demon before they decided to give that gimmick to Dale Torborg instead. So Adams just went back to wrestling as himself with no nWo affiliation for a bit, went off TV and came back so they could start KroniK.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

One Man Gang to Akeem?

Unless they did something like having Slick take One Man Gang to Africa to find his roots, I think this is a perfect example.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Unless they did something like having Slick take One Man Gang to Africa to find his roots, I think this is a perfect example.

They did actually do something like this and it was possibly more racist than you would think.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gavok posted:

One time Brian Adams walked away from being in the nWo and was shown entering a limo that was implied to belong to KISS. He made a couple non-wrestling appearances as the KISS Demon before they decided to give that gimmick to Dale Torborg instead. So Adams just went back to wrestling as himself with no nWo affiliation for a bit, went off TV and came back so they could start KroniK.
And this is how I learn that up until November, KISS Demon was Strength & Conditioning Coordinator for the Chicago White Sox

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gavok posted:

They did actually do something like this and it was possibly more racist than you would think.

You know, as I was typing that out I pretty much expected this kind of reply.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Farooq went from the gladiator to leader of the Nation pretty quickly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Another example that comes to mind is Brutus Beefcake in the early 90's. Ed Leslie wrestled as Beefcake up until July of 1990, the month where he had his horrible parasailing accident. Obviously, he was off the table for a bit. He tried to make a comeback in the beginning of 1991 with a brand new gimmick that was never given an official name, but some fans called him "Furface." The idea of the gimmick was that he was some kind of wild man masked vigilante type. Whenever a heel would kick the poo poo out of their jobber opponent post-match, this mystery man would run out, lay out the heel and run away. He did this a handful of times before vanishing completely.

His injury was still six months old, so I'm sure he was never going to get cleared and therefore had to scrap the gimmick. Instead, he went back to being Beefcake and hosted his Barbershop interview segment. It would take two more years for him to get cleared.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Farooq went from the gladiator to leader of the Nation pretty quickly.

Pretty sure Kama Mustafa became The Godfather very quickly, too.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm reading this article about the Great Muta on The Ringer and this stuck out to me. What's the deal with it being called the NWA "Worlds" Heavyweight Championship? Its not written as a possessive, so its a championship for multiple worlds? Like they promote shows on Mars?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurks With Wolves posted:

As far as I know, mostly that her old character was dead in the water because Nikki Cross was a midcarder in a division that gives midcarders nothing, and she had a superhero idea in her back pocket. She convinced people in creative to give it a shot, they handled it horribly, and the rest is history.

Unless you mean in-universe, which is a lot more relevant to the rest of the conversation. She definitely had a few weeks of thanking the audience for believing in her and making superhero metaphors before she went full superhero, so there was some transition between gimmicks.

It still makes me laugh she can't be A superhero. She's ALMOST a superhero. Maybe she sold it to Vince by saying it was about grabbing the brass ring.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gavok posted:

Another example that comes to mind is Brutus Beefcake in the early 90's. Ed Leslie wrestled as Beefcake up until July of 1990, the month where he had his horrible parasailing accident. Obviously, he was off the table for a bit. He tried to make a comeback in the beginning of 1991 with a brand new gimmick that was never given an official name, but some fans called him "Furface." The idea of the gimmick was that he was some kind of wild man masked vigilante type. Whenever a heel would kick the poo poo out of their jobber opponent post-match, this mystery man would run out, lay out the heel and run away. He did this a handful of times before vanishing completely.

His injury was still six months old, so I'm sure he was never going to get cleared and therefore had to scrap the gimmick. Instead, he went back to being Beefcake and hosted his Barbershop interview segment. It would take two more years for him to get cleared.

I saw some of these segments when I was a kid and I was so pissed off that I was never given any kind of closure on them. Like "this guy beat the poo poo out of Earthquake! He must be the next big thing!" And nothing ever came of it. I think it was last year where I finally had it explained for me, possibly in this thread.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mike Jones had his name changed arbitrarily without necessarily even changing his look. WWF named him Virgil, then WCW one-upped them by naming him Vincent, renaming him Shane, and finally putting a cowboy hat on him and calling him Curly Bill. I think the last thing was purely to walk back the West Texas' Rednecks racist heel gimmick a bit.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gavok posted:

This led to Slick trying to explain Akeem's origin to Arsenio Hall and Hall trying not to die

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if you buy into the ridiculous conspiracy theories theyre the same person, Elias/Ezekiel

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Super Dan posted:

Pretty sure Kama Mustafa became The Godfather very quickly, too.

I'm probably wrong but from memory it went like this.

Cuts a promo during a Nation segment saying he is the godfather of wrestling. Next week is the godfather.

That was it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How many gimmick names have there been to spite/reference Vince?

Virgil -> Vincent
Voodoo Kin Mafia

Alright that's a short list but surely there are more I don't remember.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I assume Papa Shango was off TV for a while before he became Kama Mustafa, right?

e: yep, he left in 1993, came back in 1995 as Kama lmao

Venomous fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 21, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Every single junior in wrestling is a personal insult to Vince McMahon (Jr)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

brodie lee's act as the exalted one included a lot of vince mannerisms. it branched out from there but you could say the gimmick was mostly vince-based early on