Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Day 12: SHODAI! HE IS RISEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtqeM-_vBJk

I want to go so bad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

net work error posted:

Day 12: SHODAI! HE IS RISEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtqeM-_vBJk

I want to go so bad :(

I have some of those rikishi teabags and a keyring waiting for me at the dojo as one of our senior senseis was in Tokyo for karate training and brought treats back from the basho, but I have been too busy with work to train and pick them up this week :( I will post pictures when they are in my grubby mitts.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i missed there being a new thread for so long noooo :c

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The NattoSumo channel just got taken down. :(

NattoSumo2 is there, but just be aware things may be dicey for edited daily content for a bit

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

The NattoSumo channel just got taken down. :(

After the umpteenth time this has happened, you'd think he'd try to change up his approach a bit.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm happy for Azumaryu but it was kinda weird how nobody at all reacted to him finally getting kk, not even Azumaryu himself.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shiroc posted:

I'm happy for Azumaryu but it was kinda weird how nobody at all reacted to him finally getting kk, not even Azumaryu himself.
He seemed pretty happy in the customary dumb-as-hell post-bout NHK interview. Love to see these guys smile for once!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 13: TAKAKEISHO CARES NOT WHENCE THE BLOOD FLOWS

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13: Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but I do think Takakeisho's shelf life at the top is getting shorter and shorter, what with the extra weight he's carrying and how hard he goes in his matches.

If he ever makes yokozuna, I think he'll be one for a very short time only, and I would almost prefer he NOT make it so that he'll be remembered as a top-level ozeki rather than a disappointing yokozuna.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
day 13 my general impression is that the oshi guys have a shorter shelf life in the top division, which is another reason why tamawashi's longevity is like, impossible

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Day 13: I feel kinda bad for Onosho. His childhood rival keeps schooling him every chance he gets. Just let my boy get one for crying out loud!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

anakha posted:

After the umpteenth time this has happened, you'd think he'd try to change up his approach a bit.

I like Natto, he seems like a sumo himbo.

I have internet back! I was 5 days behind, but I've caught up and I'll have scores up for Day 13 tomorrow, along with working out any fiddly scoring stuff people mentioned. Glad to be back in the basho with everyone.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

John McClane posted:

day 13 my general impression is that the oshi guys have a shorter shelf life in the top division, which is another reason why tamawashi's longevity is like, impossible

Akebono was a crazy-rear end outlier in how long he stayed on top with his tsuppari and even he transitioned into being more of a belt guy as his career wound down.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Just getting back into Sumo and really enjoying the tournament so far. I've decided that Midorifuji is my boy because supporting underdogs has been my entire sporting life it seems.

A pity that Terunofuji is out in this one but hopefully he'll be back in March.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
This has been a really entertaining basho. Lots of very good sumo, lots of goofy henkas.

D13: if you had told me Mitakeumi vs Tobizaru was going to be a failed henka punished hilariously I still never would have expected that. lol. Also Takakeisho vs Onosho ruled but drat was that brutal, so many head clashes

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
D13: Takakeisho won the pre-tachiai mindgames and the bout, but hopefully Onosho gets another shot at him in a playoff. Beefy, belligerent sumo, good poo poo.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tiny Bug Child posted:

This has been a really entertaining basho. Lots of very good sumo, lots of goofy henkas.

D13: if you had told me Mitakeumi vs Tobizaru was going to be a failed henka punished hilariously I still never would have expected that. lol. Also Takakeisho vs Onosho ruled but drat was that brutal, so many head clashes

It's all of why I love this sport now that I'm watching it. The technique! It's so so much more than two large men pushing eachother

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I had to see the replay to understand what Mita was even trying to do with that leg raise, what a strange bout

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Day 13: Azumaryu vs Chiyoshoma was nuts, so many incredible recoveries from Chiyoshoma! Not enough to avoid the MK in the end, but still really impressive to watch

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Eldoop posted:

Day 13: Azumaryu vs Chiyoshoma was nuts, so many incredible recoveries from Chiyoshoma! Not enough to avoid the MK in the end, but still really impressive to watch

There are a few rikishi that are just extremely slippery, like Chiyoshoma, Tobizaru, and Shodai when he's on form, and it's always incredible to watch. Shodai, especially, has some past moments of pure bullshit on the edge of the tawara that make you understand how he managed to be an Ozeki for so long despite being, well, Shodai.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Day 13:
Hell yeah Enho

Azumaryuu and Chiyoshouma was fantastic.

Hell yeah Aoiyama!

Hell yeah Kotoshohou!!

Well done Takakeishou :)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How's Tochinoshin doing

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kicking back at his stable, left arm in a sling, drinking the finest cocktails and wearing the freshest kimono.

(dude pulled out on day 3 or 4 after he dislocated his left shoulder)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bentai posted:

Kicking back at his stable, left arm in a sling, drinking the finest cocktails and wearing the freshest kimono.

(dude pulled out on day 3 or 4 after he dislocated his left shoulder)

Aw drat

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

On the upside he gets to dodge Asanoyama rampaging through Juryo and I feel like even with busted wheels he's still going to crush a lot of them pretty easily just through what remains of his raw power.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I could swear that someone got a fusensho when Hoshoryu was out for his ankle, but Hoshoryu's record isn't x-y-1. What about his kyujo made it count as a regular loss vs. a no-show?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
if someone withdraws after the next day's schedule has already been drawn up, the bout is counted as a win/loss for the respective rikishi, but marked with a square instead of a circle, for fusen/no-show

the x-y-1 comes into play for subsequent days, to show someone was absent and not scheduled to fight a bout for x number of days

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ah! Thanks for the explanation. I wondered if it might be something like that. :tipshat:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
really loving stupid question but what happens if people bought banners for a fight that's fusen? does the 'winner' get it or do they refund the advertisers?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Marching Powder posted:

really loving stupid question but what happens if people bought banners for a fight that's fusen? does the 'winner' get it or do they refund the advertisers?

I think this kind of stuff is often negotiated in advance but from what I've heard they're either transferred to a later match that day or to another match the next day

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was worried about Takakeisho in the middle of that bout when Onosho had the initiative. Losing the fight after the opening standoff would have been disastrous for the legitimacy of the yokozuna posture he's been adopting this basho.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i ask one thing of this world

to be lifted into the air by Tochi and be spun around going "YAYYY"

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Watching Juryo right now and just laughing at this match:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SoftDelightfulWatermelonMingLee-8CjNsHq7Es63vunt

Edit: This was after a matta where they did the same thing.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 21, 2023

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Legit tachi-ai so weird it baffled the gyogi and matta was called out of pure confusion

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nishikifuji's kesho mawashi was obviously sponsored by some garlic trade association - it was a cat with a bulb of garlic for a face holding up a bulb of garlic - but my google fu is failing me now that I want a maneki neko of this cat more than anything.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Googled "garlic manekineko" and got ripped sunglass-wearing manekinekos as the top results.

Just take all my money, AliExpress.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Day 13: There seemed to be a lot of hands near top-knots today, more than I can ever remember seeing in one day.

SHODAI

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Day 14, but don't think it needs spoilers: lol at the abema color comentator expressing surprise at Aoyama having a green mawashi because 'i just associate him with blue you know? his name starts with Ao (blue) and he's from Blue-garia'

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 14: Shodai was ROBBED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Day 14: that was very, very harsh.