Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm trying to figure out why dark tide just doesn't hit like vermin tide did. I think maybe some of the enemy designs blend together but something about the gameplay just doesn't hit the same and I have no idea why. Everything feels directionless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Kith posted:

it would be nice to have melta weapons. possibly a multi-melta for the shooty ogryns.

I feel like there aren't many more weapons that could be veteran specific, other than a melta?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

I feel like there aren't many more weapons that could be veteran specific, other than a melta?

Bolt Pistol, but unfortunately all the pistol weapons are basically worse than their rifle variants in most cases.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Angry_Ed posted:

Bolt Pistol, but unfortunately all the pistol weapons are basically worse than their rifle variants in most cases.

I mean... If it let's me cosplay Gaunt I don't see how it's worse...

(also, totally second giving the Ogryn all the weapons Try ever missed with)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

I mean... If it let's me cosplay Gaunt I don't see how it's worse...

(also, totally second giving the Ogryn all the weapons Try ever missed with)

I meant in-game, not necessarily in terms of actual table-top crunch.

What would be cool is maybe a VT-style Bolt Pistol/sword combo, but I'm not sure how to work that in other than it taking up both weapon slots.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chain/Powersword with offhand Boltpistol would be a really cool addition in either slot IMO, would make me a lot more willing to take something like a plasma gun or thunderhammer if I had a reliable fallback.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Angry_Ed posted:

I just want a bolt pistol in my left hand a power sword in my right and a commissar's coat cosmetic. Completely valid criticisms aside for a moment, I reckon most people enjoying this game are enjoying it for how it plays with their WH40K fantasies. And that loadout is like, top tier self insert power fantasy for this setting if you're not working with space marines.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

What would be cool is maybe a VT-style Bolt Pistol/sword combo, but I'm not sure how to work that in other than it taking up both weapon slots.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ijyt posted:

Chain/Powersword with offhand Boltpistol would be a really cool addition in either slot IMO, would make me a lot more willing to take something like a plasma gun or thunderhammer if I had a reliable fallback.

I've been wanting this for a while now.

NeurosisHead posted:

I just want a bolt pistol in my left hand a power sword in my right and a commissar's coat cosmetic. Completely valid criticisms aside for a moment, I reckon most people enjoying this game are enjoying it for how it plays with their WH40K fantasies. And that loadout is like, top tier self insert power fantasy for this setting if you're not working with space marines.

That setup is quite iconic to the setting. Realistically I just want a bolt pistol that felt as cool as the one Space Marine.

In terms of "how the game feels" I very much prefer DT vs. VT1/2. I think it's a combination of movement feeling way better in DT, and the fact that it's actually a shooter and the shooting aspect feels really good. Melee combat feels just as visceral as VT1/2.

The gibs/gore/ragdoll system is WAY better than anything in the VT.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Stanley Pain posted:

The gibs/gore/ragdoll system is WAY better than anything in the VT.

There are some times where im just blasting people and it just looks so good. The big lasgun burn spot right through their chest as they crumple mwah! Sometimes it feels like when you're sword chopping your way through a horde that the swords are cutting actual specific bits off heads and stuff, they've got some really good partial destruction of the skull going around!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

There are some times where im just blasting people and it just looks so good. The big lasgun burn spot right through their chest as they crumple mwah! Sometimes it feels like when you're sword chopping your way through a horde that the swords are cutting actual specific bits off heads and stuff, they've got some really good partial destruction of the skull going around!

Hahha, yeah. The physics based damage is really top notch. The voidstrike staff can cause heads to pop off and rocket upward in a gloriously bloody fashion too.

Slicing dudes in half with the eviscerator (or just digging in while revving it up), or the power sword always feels good too ;)

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Kwolok posted:

I'm trying to figure out why dark tide just doesn't hit like vermin tide did. I think maybe some of the enemy designs blend together but something about the gameplay just doesn't hit the same and I have no idea why. Everything feels directionless?
I think it's the overly-liberal use of ranged enemies all over the place. Need to walk 10 feet out of cover to hit some dude? Enjoy being full of holes intantly from the 20 other dudes 15, 20, 25, 30 feet away. As someone who only really plays Zealot it's a massive pain in the rear end that even my rush doesn't do much to make less annoying. The "proximity = enter melee" mechanic is rather fucky too, I constantly have dudes of all kinds just keep shooting me in the face when I'm right in front of them bashing their skulls in.

More melee enemies that spawn closer (so your vets don't just gun them all down instantly) and fewer but more dangerous ranged enemies at logical overwatch locations would make more sense and be funner, imo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Yeah it's the small room at the beginning that inexplicably has both a spawn locker (which I gather is supposed to be mostly inactive while you're nearby) and a medicae station. Literally nothing to be done if even a single poxburster comes out, let alone 4

You can just push them. That's how I get past that door every time.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

!Klams posted:

Melta gun for the veteran, heavy lasgun e: lascannon for the Ogryn. Who says no?

Ogryn needs more interesting ranged weapons more than any class right now, imo. At the moment only the grenade gauntlet and machine gun "feel" like only the Ogryn could wield them, then there are like 5 kinds of shotguns, several of which just stink. Even then, the machine gun is so inaccurate that it feels like a different type of shotgun and the grenade gauntlet is not as fun to me as the plunking enemies with the regular grenade launcher. He needs more heavy things.

dogstile posted:

You can just push them. That's how I get past that door every time.

That particular room is so small that even if you push them over you're still going to take damage when they go off. Especially if there are multiple coming out in a row. We were standing in the room and popping out to thin the mob outside (this was on heresy with pubbies, so we couldn't just rush out necessarily) and the bursters kept jumping out and immediately detonating, knocking my teammates clean off the ledge outside so they all instantly died. It definitely felt like something the game director was not ordinarily supposed to allow.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 26, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

After years of games not syncing up ragdoll physics in MP, I'm still tickled whenever a friend hoots and hollers when a scab goes cartwheeling across their field of view from a power weapon hit.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

lasgun for the Ogryn. Who says no?

I'm pretty sure the Techpriest would start making funny noises that could be interpreted as 'No'

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I know the chainaxe isn't the best but it feels so good to slam that thing into enemies and feel it dig in while the engine screams.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Ssthalar posted:

I'm pretty sure the Techpriest would start making funny noises that could be interpreted as 'No'

I meant a lascannon, the anti-vehicle weapon. I'm not that up on the lore so I'm not sure if there's a man-portable version that am Ogryn could realistically carry but it would be dope to have a piercing beam that's actually accurate at range, even if you had to reload after each shot

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I meant a lascannon, the anti-vehicle weapon. I'm not that up on the lore so I'm not sure if there's a man-portable version that am Ogryn could realistically carry but it would be dope to have a piercing beam that's actually accurate at range, even if you had to reload after each shot

I was also referring to the las-cannon.
It could be cool ofc, but drat, every Techpriest on this side of the galaxy would have a fit if an Ogryn ever got something that sensitive.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Lascannons are man portable, guardsman have field units they can carry around and space marines obviously carry them just by themselves so an Ogryn could 100% lug it around.

The datamined next class for the Ogryn is called "Gun Lugger" and that seems like the ideal spot to introduce autocannon, heavy bolter, lascannon, multi melta, plasmacannon, multilaser, gatling cannon etc. Of those the one that fits with their current aesthetic is probably gonna be heavy bolter and autocannon, basically "stick magazine into box and hold down lever to fire" rather than lascannon which feels more "techy" and breakable aka "don't give to ogryn" - but that'd be sick too. Multi Melta and Plasmacannon would probably not fit at all as they are way too tech'd up.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Ssthalar posted:

I was also referring to the las-cannon.
It could be cool ofc, but drat, every Techpriest on this side of the galaxy would have a fit if an Ogryn ever got something that sensitive.

Jerkface posted:

Lascannons are man portable, guardsman have field units they can carry around and space marines obviously carry them just by themselves so an Ogryn could 100% lug it around.

The datamined next class for the Ogryn is called "Gun Lugger" and that seems like the ideal spot to introduce autocannon, heavy bolter, lascannon, multi melta, plasmacannon, multilaser, gatling cannon etc. Of those the one that fits with their current aesthetic is probably gonna be heavy bolter and autocannon, basically "stick magazine into box and hold down lever to fire" rather than lascannon which feels more "techy" and breakable aka "don't give to ogryn" - but that'd be sick too. Multi Melta and Plasmacannon would probably not fit at all as they are way too tech'd up.

Fair points, you're right that he's oafish and clumsy, not just strong. A heavy bolter would be cool, though I'd hope the first shot would be at least sort of accurate to set it apart from the machine gun. Ogryn really needs to have some ability to counter gunners at medium range, since right now the best you can reliably do is knock them down with a shotgun.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

sushibandit posted:

I think it's the overly-liberal use of ranged enemies all over the place. Need to walk 10 feet out of cover to hit some dude? Enjoy being full of holes intantly from the 20 other dudes 15, 20, 25, 30 feet away. As someone who only really plays Zealot it's a massive pain in the rear end that even my rush doesn't do much to make less annoying. The "proximity = enter melee" mechanic is rather fucky too, I constantly have dudes of all kinds just keep shooting me in the face when I'm right in front of them bashing their skulls in.

More melee enemies that spawn closer (so your vets don't just gun them all down instantly) and fewer but more dangerous ranged enemies at logical overwatch locations would make more sense and be funner, imo.

If you have trouble making ranged enemies switch to melee, try sliding. It pretty consistently forces shooters to switch to their melee if you slide as you get close to them.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't know how thematically accurate it would be but this made me realize that a Gunslinger-style Veteran would be absolutely cool as gently caress and I would play the poo poo out of it. It would need some serious heavy lifting to compete with Sharpshooter in terms of Career stuff but I'd be down as hell.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
rumbler or go home, gotta be donking them on the head like a bored carnie at the bottle tent

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sushibandit posted:

This is compounded by the problem of not every team composition works well, especially at the higher difficulties. If you have no one on the team with mid to long range capabilities, it's going to suck for everyone. It's why counter-fire on the the Veteran is so drat good. It highlights them for you and makes you basically immune to ranged enemies.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

This is compounded by the problem of not every team composition works well, especially at the higher difficulties. If you have no one on the team with mid to long range capabilities, it's going to suck for everyone. It's why counter-fire on the the Veteran is so drat good. It highlights them for you and makes you basically immune to ranged enemies.

It annoys me so much there is a shooter enemy that doesn’t get highlighted by counter-fire and apparently that’s by design.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

.Z. posted:

It annoys me so much there is a shooter enemy that doesn’t get highlighted by counter-fire and apparently that’s by design.

AND that specific enemy burst fires lasguns and they are very aggressive, they absolutely shred its stupid.

Honestly they should seriously re-tune heresy/damnation to not have so many large groups of shooters, or at least make it so the shooters group more. There are times where there are just like 20 shooters in a 360 field around you and thats hard to deal with. Especially if you also get weird melee horde timings where you are getting de-sync'd attacked by lots of different melee enemies.

Just the amount of 30+ groups of shooters on damnation is stupid.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do more interesting earnable cosmetic items open up at level 30? I haven't played in a few weeks and I think I'm sitting at level 22 and all the non real money cosmetics in game were slightly different shades of red for the same pants which was lame.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Popete posted:

Do more interesting earnable cosmetic items open up at level 30? I haven't played in a few weeks and I think I'm sitting at level 22 and all the non real money cosmetics in game were slightly different shades of red for the same pants which was lame.

There are recolors of the penance based cosmetics available in the shop and its possible they are not available until 30? There are some decent looks in there, but thats it right now. All the good poo poo is pay for.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

I don't know how thematically accurate it would be but this made me realize that a Gunslinger-style Veteran would be absolutely cool as gently caress and I would play the poo poo out of it. It would need some serious heavy lifting to compete with Sharpshooter in terms of Career stuff but I'd be down as hell.

To be fair it might jive better with the other classes the others will get that will hopefully shuffle the roles around a bit.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

theres melta guns already in the game files. theres a loooot of weapons in the files that are not in the game

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

There are recolors of the penance based cosmetics available in the shop and its possible they are not available until 30? There are some decent looks in there, but thats it right now. All the good poo poo is pay for.

I think that's what I'm seeing already, like the armour itself doesn't change (or very minor changes like a scroll is in a different spot) and the main difference is a colour shade. Seems like everything unique/interesting costs $$$ which is pretty lame for a game that costs $40 that's lacking in content already.

Edit: This has probably been talked about a ton already. I guess my question is does the game/cosmetics open up some at level 30 compared to level 22?

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 26, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Nope!

e: couple of minor fixes

quote:

Fixed an issue that caused the suppression screen effects to conflict with the Psyker's when at high peril
Tweaked the suppression effect to be less intrusive. This should be most noticeable when playing on higher difficulties where you are often suppressed for long periods of time.

Sorry if they got posted already and I missed it.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 26, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

!Klams posted:

Looking at the weapons that the Imperium has access to, in no particular order:
  • Bolt Pistols would probably get shared with Zealots, since Sisters of Battle use them all the time.
  • Grenade Launchers would likely Veteran-specific. Maybe as Demolitions class weapon?
  • Could steal some guns from the toasterfuckers, like Gamma/Arc/Phosphor weapons. Maybe a Rad weapon if we're feeling very stupid. Unlikely though, since that'd mean cutting out a huge amount of weapons that a playable Techpriest could use.
  • Realistically, Flamers should also be available to the Vet - the Sisters of Battle popularized them, but it's not like the Guard didn't have access to them.
  • A Suppression Laser would be cool to have since there aren't many more phrases cooler than "laser shotgun".
  • Grav-guns would be a neat disable-oriented weapon with extra damage for big fellas, definitely a Veteran weapon.
  • Any of the many Sniper Rifle/Marksman Rifle knockoffs could work, but I feel like those roles are already pretty well-handled by the Autoguns and Lasguns we have.
  • Maybe a Volkite weapon, if they can justify stealing it.
  • *insert any of the many combi-weapon options here* would definitely be Veteran territory.
  • *insert any shotgun with stupid or interesting ammo* would also be Veteran territory.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

.Z. posted:

Oh is THAT why that happens? What the heck is the reasoning behind that? :fatshark:?

With my visual impairment that highlight is what lets me actually hit things :shobon: (that and 16x magnification glasses).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Nope!

e: couple of minor fixes

Sorry if they got posted already and I missed it.

Good fixes imo and they came out pretty much day after. Another notch towards belief.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Oh is THAT why that happens? What the heck is the reasoning behind that? :fatshark:?

With my visual impairment that highlight is what lets me actually hit things :shobon: (that and 16x magnification glasses).

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/veteran-counterfire-feat-not-highlighting-some-scab-shooters/66256/4

FatsharkQuickpaw posted:

So I asked the devs for clarification on why this enemy was excluded, the reasoning is that the feat is intended to highlight the longer ranged enemies, such as the scab riflemen. The scab currently excluded is instead more of a short-range fighter.

:bang:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

!Klams posted:

Hellguns and volley guns are both pretty iconic storm trooper weapons and aren't in the game. The scab gunners use volley guns, they're the full-auto lasguns with the cables leading to a back-mounted power pack. Hellguns are automatic, relatively armor piercing lasguns. The NPC guard guys "should" be wearing carapace armor and rocking hellguns or volley guns, that's the sort of default Inquisition trooper loadout.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Yeah there are some weird exceptions they added for seemingly no reason besides confusion and frustration.

"Highlights all gunner enemies" doesn't highlight all gunner enemies
"Shoot gunners to suppress them" dregs are nearly immune to suppression, might be different in the latest patch at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hotshot please :)