Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

speng31b posted:

bye bye rat man rest in piss

I had to check what thread I was in, I thought something happened to Buttigieg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ratzinger was secretly tried and then executed by white hats in the Swiss Guard. Trust the plan.

There are no coincidences.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ousted-vatican-auditor-deputy-sue-holy-see-925-million-2022-11-10/

quote:

VATICAN CITY, Nov 10 (Reuters) - The Vatican's first auditor general and his deputy, who were appointed in 2015 and fired two years later, are suing the Holy See for 9.3 million euros ($9.25 million) in damages, alleging they were sacked after discovering financial irregularities.

Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni said on Thursday he had no comment on the lawsuit, which was filed last week with the Vatican prosecutor's office by lawyers for Libero Milone and Ferruccio Panicco.

Milone, 74, a former chairman and CEO of Deloitte in Italy, was appointed by Pope Francis in 2015 as part of an effort to clean up Vatican finances and raise accounting procedures to international standards of accountability and transparency.

He was told to resign in 2017 by Cardinal Archbishop Angelo Becciu, who was then the number two in the Vatican's Secretariat of State, its most important department.
The 53-page legal filing, which was seen by Reuters, alleges "a filter" was put up which made it difficult for Milone to reach Pope Francis, who was the target of a "disinformation operation" by some in the Vatican.

Milone said at the briefing that he had been looking into suspicious transfers between bank accounts of senior Vatican officials, others involving hospitals associated with the Vatican and the discovery that an email account in the pope's private office may have been compromised by spyware.

maskenfreiheit2
Dec 26, 2022

Weka posted:

I had to check what thread I was in, I thought something happened to Buttigieg.

if only we were so lucky

btw remember when mike pence said he hosed a horse?

Fun times

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The bad man was punished by... living in luxury and comfort and dying at age 95??

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The bad man was punished by... living in luxury and comfort and dying at age 95??

The 8th amendment prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment doesnt apply to papal states

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

better late than never

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The worst, most weird Catholic shitheads in the US had their NYE ruined by Joey Rats eating dirt. And that's not nothing.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

remember when he said galileo deserved the inquisition

also how he was protecting outed pedophile church officials to use in his weird little factional struggle with francis

rest in piss ratboy joe

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
hit the road ratz and don't you come back
no more no more no more no more

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1612154279984304131?s=20&t=44J1OsnooIKl_8ToGjSWmg
https://twitter.com/NCRonline/status/1611457386996178951?s=20&t=44J1OsnooIKl_8ToGjSWmg

quote:

With the same spirit and aims that behind his recent reform and reorganization of the Roman Curia, Pope Francis, as Bishop of Rome, has overhauled the Vicariate of Rome.

The vicariate, too, is called "to become more suitably channeled for the evangelization of today's world rather than for her self-preservation" and to be at the service of a church that reaches out to everyone, evangelizing in word and deed, embracing human life and "touching the suffering flesh of Christ in others," the pope wrote in a new papal instruction.

Among the many changes, the pope created two new bodies: an office dedicated to safeguarding minors and vulnerable people; and an independent supervisory commission of papally appointed experts who monitor the work and administrative and economic affairs of the vicariate.

The changes, which go into effect Jan. 31, were released Jan. 6 in the new apostolic constitution, "In Ecclesiarum Communione" ("In the Communion of Churches"). It replaces the previous constitution, "Ecclesia in Urbe'' ("The Church in the City''), issued by St. John Paul II in 1988.

The new document aims to revitalize the vicariate's mission by giving "primacy" to charity and the proclamation of divine mercy, synodality with the faithful and promoting greater collegiality, particularly between the pope and his auxiliary bishops of Rome.

In fact, the pope will have a much greater role in the vicariate, staying informed with required reporting, presiding over meetings of the episcopal council and taking part in major decisions concerning pastoral, administrative and financial matters, including requiring his final approval of the diocese's annual budget report.

The annual budget report, budget management, requests for assistance by parishes and rectors and ensuring greater transparency in managing funds will be handled by the diocesan council for economic affairs, which is presided over by the cardinal vicar or the vice regent, it said.

The pope wrote he would like greater vigilance over financial management "so that it may be prudent and responsible" and "conducted consistently with the purpose that justifies the church's possession of goods."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Frankie needs to go Clement V on their asses

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

extremely pro follow. this guy is so lucidly unhinged it's great

https://twitter.com/pope_head/status/1617590556028190720

https://twitter.com/pope_head/status/1617622277813829632

https://twitter.com/pope_head/status/1617643825983524869

https://twitter.com/pope_head/status/1617661274971869187

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol. Frank is gonna have to call the Dominicans in to get their hands dirty.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think my man has his head on straight

https://twitter.com/pope_head/status/1617863651242954753

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

here's the good poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnEACbDLwxY

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Begun, the pope wars have.
https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1618216680869752833
https://twitter.com/C_Stroop/status/1618297761493061634

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
so has Francis been declared Anti-pope or assassinated yet?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Time to resurrect the Avignon papacy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
what do Huguenots believe? cuz that seems like a cool name

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

huge nuts

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's misleading, they were just French Calvinists.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's up with the jesuits and why are they considered on the liberal wing of the church today?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Jesuits are outside of the normal hierarchy, IE they don't have to answer to a local bishop, only their own Jesuit bishops.

A lot of them do time working with them poor in Latin America, and become anti-imperialist from that experience.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Speleothing posted:

Jesuits are outside of the normal hierarchy, IE they don't have to answer to a local bishop, only their own Jesuit bishops.

A lot of them do time working with them poor in Latin America, and become anti-imperialist from that experience.

They were the liberalish wing way before that. For example they were engaged in translating christian works into China and Chinese works into Latin and helping Imperial China to Modernize untill they got censored for being ok with some lite ancestor worship.

The white guy who assisted indigenous scholars to preserve what few remaining Maya codexies survived was Jesuit.

iirc their liberal tendencies come from founding and running a lot of schools and universities in a time when most education was done only for upper class kids by private tutors

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Jan 27, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

what's up with the jesuits and why are they considered on the liberal wing of the church today?

Jesuits cause problems for entrenched power structures. it's kind of their thing

there's a tradition of secular education among Jesuits as well as (they'd never describe it this way) pushing against the boundaries of Catholic doctrine in areas of philosophy and science, which in the past 50ish years has started to include the social sciences, so they're typically on the forefront of progressive movements in the Catholic Church. they get yelled at a lot for trying to argue against codified doctrine on stuff like abortion and divorce, or maybe they go and help invent Liberation Theology. historically they (as individuals, provinces, and even the order as a whole) get suppressed, excommunicated, or condemned for heresy a lot and usually reconcile but then a generation later the church might quietly allow or adopt those positions

they've been linked to attempted regicide in both England and France (it's questionable how involved they were, but it shows they were so disliked by some kings that it was a political win to tar them as unlawful). most western European countries banned them wholesale in the run up to the French Revolution and didn't let them back in for a long time, Norway only repealed those laws after WWII lol

they also use their powers for evil like when they argue that the colonization and genocide of the Americas were spiritually justified. they're still Catholics after all. but generally if you have to have a conversation a Catholic priest your best bet is with a Jesuit.

in high school my Jesuit priest Latin teacher would end class on Friday by saying "remember don't mix booze and drugs and please wear a condom they're free at planned parenthood" which was an excommunicatable offense lol. he was 6'10

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

they're literal Social Justice Warriors, it's where the term originates. at least I was trained to be a sjw in my jesuit education long before it was a shorthand for right wing culture war crap.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Speleothing posted:

So they are the Space Marines of the Church?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

In Training posted:

they're literal Social Justice Warriors, it's where the term originates. at least I was trained to be a sjw in my jesuit education long before it was a shorthand for right wing culture war crap.

cool

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Tankbuster posted:

So they are the Space Marines of the Church?

I am sure somebody in 40K would be titled "The Black Pope" if it had not already been taken.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
In Frankie the Tankie's defence, I don't think he could make much change by saying homosexuality is totally sweet but by saying it's still a sin but should be legal he stands to maybe help make a real difference.

War and Pieces posted:

I am sure somebody in 40K would be titled "The Black Pope" if it had not already been taken.

WH40K more progressive than the Catholic church.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He could have dodged the question.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Weka posted:

In Frankie the Tankie's defence, I don't think he could make much change by saying homosexuality is totally sweet but by saying it's still a sin but should be legal he stands to maybe help make a real difference.

it isn't a sin to be gay or even live with your gay partner it's just a sin to have sex with them

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

it isn't a sin to be gay or even live with your gay partner it's just a sin to have sex with them

The line gay priests generally take is that being gay isn't a sin, having gay sex or living with a same sex partner is, but priests don't get to do that stuff with anyone regardless of gender, and it would be just as sinful to do that stuff with a woman so as long as they remain celebate they're cool with God.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

indigi posted:

It isn't a sin to be straight but it is a sin to live with your straight partner outside of marriage so gays get a one up in that regard.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Also a sin to remarry after getting divorced. Jesus was really clear on that point.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

only if you don't get an annulment, and also Frank might have changed that doctrine in the footnotes

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

I think this may be an unwritten rule but it's definitely a sin to have a happy heterosexual marriage

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Azathoth posted:

priests don't get to do that stuff with anyone regardless of gender, and it would be just as sinful to do that stuff with a woman so as long as they remain celebate they're cool with God.

The Second Lateran Council of 1139 set this in stone for Roman Catholics but Orthodox allows priests to marry before ordination, and most Orthodox priests are married ☦️

regarding divorce,

quote:

Formal unity must be consistent with internal symphony between husband and wife. When the couple can no longer salvage anything of this internal symphony, the bond that was originally considered indissoluble has already dissolved. Further, the Church recognizes there are cases in which marriage life has no content or may even lead to loss of the soul. Saint John Chrysostom says in this regard: “better to break the covenant than to lose one’s soul”.
. . .
Orthodox canon law can permit a second and even a third marriage out of pastoral care, but strictly forbids a fourth.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Also a sin to remarry after getting divorced. Jesus was really clear on that point.

Is it? I remember in Matthew he's mostly massively annoyed a bunch of idiots are missing the point

The vibe was one of "poo poo god drat you idiot" so it's hard to imagine the explicit text as important