Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Kenshin posted:

The difference is the Japanese kinda care about their citizens and in the US and China if it's not going to make a rich person richer it probably isn't worth doing

??? are we talking about the same japan that makes people work 80 hr weeks or never have a job again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

??? are we talking about the same japan that makes people work 80 hr weeks or never have a job again?

Yes, but from the perspective of a weeb which is seemingly unavoidable when anything even approaching the topic of Japan comes up online.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

Those aren't mutually exclusive! Japan sometimes pretends to care about the welfare of its citizens. US and China rarely even try!

They all suck though!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Kenshin posted:

They all suck though!

:hmmyes:

now we're talkin!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I'd have so much money if I could have fixed my interest for 30 years in 2021.
Yeah I feel like interest rates are going to be a generational grievance in the future. Young people couldn’t buy houses and us old people are locked into 30 year mortgages at rates below inflation. 20 years from now my mortgage payment will be like 25-40% of the equivalent purchase in 2043 dollars.

Who knows what interest rates will do in the future.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mad Wack posted:

The definition of “work” is pretty loose for Japanese office employees. It involves sleeping at your desk a lot. It still sucks, but it’s not the same as a sustained effort, just spending way too much time there and eating and sleeping at your desk and waiting for the boss to go home.

They also have universal health insurance and care about the environment.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The recent inflation by all appearances was a transitory shock in the summer. A lot of people decided it definitely wasn’t, but it’s been months since there was much month-over-month inflation. You will still see stories about it for the next six months, though, because financial journalists are idiots: the primary inflation measurements are year-over-year, which is cumulative and therefore will continue to include the shock for a while.

So rates will probably fix themselves in time, and the most likely result is that this will be yet another thing screwing over young millennials specifically.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

therobit posted:

and care about the environment.

Well, the non-whale parts of it

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Well, the non-whale parts of it
I was going to say...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

The recent inflation by all appearances was a transitory shock in the summer. A lot of people decided it definitely wasn’t, but it’s been months since there was much month-over-month inflation. You will still see stories about it for the next six months, though, because financial journalists are idiots: the primary inflation measurements are year-over-year, which is cumulative and therefore will continue to include the shock for a while.

So rates will probably fix themselves in time, and the most likely result is that this will be yet another thing screwing over young snake people specifically.

a material amount of financial journalism has been automated since the mid-90s. obviously the amount of automation has gone up, and they had that big ol' cnet brouhaha but the journos literally just may not exist

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kenshin posted:

The difference is the Japanese kinda care about their citizens and in the US and China if it's not going to make a rich person richer it probably isn't worth doing

Please, sweet god don't go here. Japan is absolutely hosed in ways that just aren't quite as visible to us because they're on the other side of the world. They're on the brink of demographic collapse, are the third most expensive country to raise children in (we are not #1 or #2; those are SK and China), and the only reason we don't see a large homeless population is that they stay indoors at night by checking into low-cost internet/manga cafes, capsules, etc. Don't bring up Japan as an example of a positive, well-adjusted society. They really really aren't. 40% of their 20-39 age range work in non-traditional employment / gig work and don't get benefits beyond the basic UHC (meaning no vacation, maternity leave, sick time, bereavement leave, severance, etc), and the others are in the salary-man hellhole system. Just because they have a national health system doesn't mean it's a good place to live.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 30, 2023

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sundae posted:

Please, sweet god don't go here. Japan is absolutely hosed in ways that just aren't quite as visible to us because they're on the other side of the world. They're on the brink of demographic collapse, are the third most expensive country to raise children in (we are not #1 or #2; those are SK and China), and the only reason we don't see a large homeless population is that they stay indoors at night by checking into low-cost internet/manga cafes, capsules, etc. Don't bring up Japan as an example of a positive, well-adjusted society. They really really aren't. 40% of their 20-39 age range work in non-traditional employment / gig work and don't get benefits beyond the basic UHC (meaning no vacation, maternity leave, sick time, bereavement leave, severance, etc), and the others are in the salary-man hellhole system. Just because they have a national health system doesn't mean it's a good place to live.
My dude, there is nowhere in my post that I said they are a positive, well-adjusted society. I'm well aware of how socially hosed they are.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kenshin posted:

My dude, there is nowhere in my post that I said they are a positive, well-adjusted society. I'm well aware of how socially hosed they are.

Okay, I apologize. I read a bit too much weebiness in where it wasn't justified then. My bad. :)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you dont need to import their stupid rear end 80 hour weeks or their idiot immigration policy or their arbitrary detention or their gender dipshittery to steal their zoning and land laws

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you dont need to import their stupid rear end 80 hour weeks or their idiot immigration policy or their arbitrary detention or their gender dipshittery to steal their zoning and land laws

Innocent question, because I don't know and I'm curious - how much of their zoning and land laws are motivated by their severely limited amount of actual land, compared to like the US and China, and what barriers to adoption does that create?
The country is geographically smaller than California.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Silly Newbie posted:

Innocent question, because I don't know and I'm curious - how much of their zoning and land laws are motivated by their severely limited amount of actual land, compared to like the US and China, and what barriers to adoption does that create?
The country is geographically smaller than California.
This certainly plays a part but 80% of America doesn't need to be inhabited either IMO, there are far too many small towns that are nonviable economically or environmentally

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

raising kids in japan hasn't been all that expensive in my experience. we spend like the equivalent of 200 bux for childcare per month, medical is all covered 100% and public school is free through junior high. wonder what the stats for japan being number 3 in the world are based on.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mr. Fix It posted:

raising kids in japan hasn't been all that expensive in my experience. we spend like the equivalent of 200 bux for childcare per month, medical is all covered 100% and public school is free through junior high. wonder what the stats for japan being number 3 in the world are based on.

The one I found was costs as a ratio to gdp

quote:

Thirteen countries were analyzed using data from between 2010 and 2021. The results were measured as a percentage of each country's gross domestic product (GDP) per person.

South Korea was found to be the most expensive place to raise a child from birth to age 18, costing 7.8 times the country's per-person GDP on average. China was the second most expensive country, at 6.9 times per-person GDP.

The cost was 4.3 times per-person GDP in Japan and 4.1 times in the US, but just 2.4 times per-person GDP in France and 2.1 times in Australia.

Costs included things like food, clothing, transportation, entertainment and health care, as well as the cost of going to school.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mr. Fix It posted:

Are you paying for cram school, then high school, then college? Because that’s what most Japanese families are doing. The parents pay for college entirely.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Hughlander posted:

The one I found was costs as a ratio to gdp

is it the cost that guardians pay or the total cost including subsidies?

therobit posted:

Are you paying for cram school, then high school, then college? Because that’s what most Japanese families are doing. The parents pay for college entirely.

lol, tell that to my wife's parents. if the kids want to cram and test into stuff, we'll fork out for it, but school teacher wife seems ambivalent. we should be able to pay for college. cheaper than the US is my impression, tho haven't done much digging yet

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 30, 2023

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Low scale, but I just found out that my 75 year old uncle's loan repayments are ~AUD$6-7,000 per month.

He's a roofer with chronic diabeetus and generally shocking health, and his wife (the chief breadwinner) is a cleaner in her 50s. They're in debt up to his eyeballs on multiple properties and cars and if she lost her job they would pretty much instantaneously go bankrupt.

He doesn't dare sell any properties because if he did she would immediately send any equity back to her family, and his wife is now dropping several grand on her birthday party.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sundae posted:

Yeah nah this is swinging way too hard in the other direction. You're both painting with brushes about a mile wide.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Breetai posted:

He doesn't dare sell any properties because if he did she would immediately send any equity back to her family, and his wife is now dropping several grand on her birthday party.

Is she Filipina?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Scratch Monkey posted:

Is she Filipina?

Yup.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Relative to South Korea and Japan, China's is kind of interesting because a lot of it is cram schools in terms of costs but children usually have two sets of parents paying the bill, their parents and grandparents. Grandparents often end up raising the child or children while the parents work full time, often in the classic East Asian work culture heavily influenced by Japan. Lots of overtime but lots of napping on the job and killing time because it's all just based on when the management chooses to work so they don't go home early, on time, and get poo poo for it. Since China doesn't have any sort of real social safety net or anything like retirement, parents save a lot of money and spend it on their children and grandparents often pay for the housing their children, the new parents. I'm not sure about Japan and South Korea but it didn't seem like that dynamic exists and it's closer to the US in terms of people mostly being responsible for their own things instead of relying on immediate family members for housing or transportation. The only problem is you don't have any sort of retirement plan, except children, so if your kid is a gently caress up or dies and you're too old to have another one or whatever, you're hosed. Same if your parents die or blow all your money playing the fish arcade game, it's like pachinko but a digital game where you shoot fish and get tokens, and smoking meth.

Cram schools are often extremely BWM because it's a lot of it is just appearance and not actual substance. Often it's usually based on who the owner is. I remember one of the big guys in the South Korean cram school industry likes to brag about the fact that he went to Harvard but fails to mention it was Harvard Divinity and not something more substantive or prestigious. It's very similar to the daycare industry in the US and just as expensive relatively speaking.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
xi jinping killed most of the cram schools by govt fiat and keeps on whacking the unofficial ones that pop up on the head real hard

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So cram schools are the equivalent of US private preparatory secondary schools that take extortionate amounts of money to boost higher education acceptance by having people on staff that are friendly with the admissions departments at good colleges?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cram schools are the equivalent of american cram schools. youre talkin about something closer to beijing number 4 or daeil foreign language, if you want the equivalent of andover and tj's and stuy

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 30, 2023

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
It's like those Princeton Review test prep courses, right? I've never heard the term cram school in the US

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Weatherman posted:

Yeah nah this is swinging way too hard in the other direction. You're both painting with brushes about a mile wide.

Which part? I can cite every statement in my post.

Cost of Parenting:
https://www.reuters.com/article/japan-politics-population-idAFKBN2U207H

quote:

Japan is the third-most-expensive country globally to raise a child, according to YuWa Population Research, behind only China and South Korea, countries also seeing shrinking populations in worrying signs for the global economy.

Living in Net-cafes:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/03/asia/japan-coronavirus-internet-cafe-refugee-hnk-intl/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_cafe_refugee
http-s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2rUpGvxuqY (Broke the link so it won't auto-embed; no point stealing tons of page-space.)

Demographic Crisis:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64373950

quote:

"Japan is standing on the verge of whether we can continue to function as a society," Mr Kishida told lawmakers.

"Focusing attention on policies regarding children and child-rearing is an issue that cannot wait and cannot be postponed."

Percentage of non-traditional workers by age group:
This one is the easiest to argue about because the percentage can be shifted by what set of definitions you use. The 40% of 20-29 age range came from the video up in the Net-Cafe section. Here's another source to support it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/19/business/japan-covid-work.html

quote:

The priorities of the younger generation — who have worked in a system where nearly 40 percent of workers are now “nonregular employees” — may be changing the most.

I don't think we need to debate this in depth in this thread, but I did want to assure anyone reading along that I can source everything I said. :)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
albas are deffo a fygm by older peeps, american boomer style

Baddog
May 12, 2001

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

....Since China doesn't have any sort of real social safety net or anything like retirement, parents save a lot of money and spend it on their children and grandparents often pay for the housing their children, the new parents.....

Hmm? China has a public pension, this seems to describe it pretty well. I mean, it's not a seattle-cop level social safety net. But still. Can potentially collect at 45 if you tick the right boxes.

https://www.oecd.org/els/public-pensions/PAG2021-country-profile-China.pdf

So grandparents aren't usually working... they are doing tai chi in the park. Maybe singing songs about killing japanese in the war. Playing some mahjong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8dxYPJ_8CA

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

edit: wrong thread!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

cram schools are the equivalent of american cram schools. youre talkin about something closer to beijing number 4 or daeil foreign language, if you want the equivalent of andover and tj's and stuy

Yeah, the people who run cram school chains will often exaggerate or misrepresent their credentials because it's good for business. Parents will see that the founder went to Harvard or Yale and think that if their child follows that person's method, their child will go to a similar prestigious school. This is also a big deal due to the testing culture in countries like China, South Korea, and Japan because those tests essentially decide whether or not you will be successful for the rest of your life. Brand recognition is also huge and people often don't think to question Harvard or Yale because they have strict standards and they assume they're more specialized than they are.

Baddog posted:

Hmm? China has a public pension, this seems to describe it pretty well. I mean, it's not a seattle-cop level social safety net. But still. Can potentially collect at 45 if you tick the right boxes.

What I meant by no real safety net is that pensions don't pay a lot to the average worker, much like Social Security for a lot of workers in the US for instance. It's based on what you put into it, not an amount based on the cost of living. It is not something that would allow a former factory worker in Ningxia to live a comfortable life and fully retire, the same goes for migrant laborers. It is very difficult for a retired lower to middle income worker to survive on their pension alone. That average worker earnings number is heavily skewed too due to wealth disparity throughout the country. That AAW is closer to Beijing or Shanghai but not say Zhengzhou or another T3 or even T2 city. While the cost of living is lower in those areas, these are people who have increased medical costs and needs that eat into their income. This is also only 71% of China's workforce. The Chinese government is obviously trying to improve this but right now it's as bad as countries like the United States in terms of impact. Last year the Chinese government introduced a voluntary, supplementary pension fund to help with this because I don't think any companies offer any sort of 401K or other retirement plan, unless they're a foreign one. Usually companies are only really obligated to yearly bonuses, which are usually several months of pay, but this isn't legally enforced to my knowledge.

This isn't a condemnation of China btw, just the reality that a retirement plan there is still usually based around your child or children and if they gently caress up, you're hosed. It's one of the reasons parents get so crazy about educational stuff because if you fail the gaokao, you're screwed for the rest of your life and your parents also can't rely on you to take care of them for the rest of their life. It has an impact on both parties and it's not something that's easy to overcome. It's hard for your kid to take care of you when they're working all the time for very little. That's an extreme case but this is also something kids commit suicide over and a nightmare for even those who succeed.

The gaokao for those unfamiliar is a college entrance/career placement exam that tells you what schools you can go to and what you can study. Foreign education, such as going to a foreign K-12 or university is desirable because it allows you to get around this test. One of the big reasons failsons and daughters end up going to US universities and crashing their sports cars is because they probably failed the gaokao or didn't do well enough to go to Beida or another prestigious school. The test, while not great for the people taking it, equalizes things and allows for people to get ahead by ability instead of allowing the ultra rich to just go to prestigious schools with no effort like they do in the US. It just comes at a high price to the well being of the children who have to prepare half their childhood for it.

EDIT:

Living with your parents until you're married and having your parents move in with you after you have kids is a part of traditional Chinese culture btw. It's one of the reasons sons were preferred for so long because daughters move into the households of their husbands and they usually don't support their birth families in the same way as they do their husband's. This is also not mentioning dowries. It was considered pretty BWM to have girls in pre-modern China. This has obviously changed and the government has curtailed a lot of the most egregious aspects of this, even making laws saying you can't abandon your parents, but this type of support network is still very common, especially in rural China.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 31, 2023

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
FWIW one of my coworkers has made the decision to give up their job in the USA and move back to Japan. They can get an equivalent job there but with an actual human salary and get a house and a family and a retirement.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I should've known it'd cause a derail.

The post I responded to was:

quote:

The point of my response was that no, there's plenty to point to that (just like everywhere else) nobody gives a poo poo about regular citizens in Japan either. It's not about housing prices, zoning laws, whether country X is better than country Y. They've decided to poo poo on younger generations the same way that every other country has in recent decades, as demonstrated by (citations above, plus everything else people posted).

That's all; I had no intention of turning this into USA vs JP or implying there weren't people doing perfectly well for themselves in JP.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 31, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/uncledoomer/status/1620154398851874817?s=20&t=HDa7X7YWioXQvpkffY7iCA

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Jesus Christ, starting an LLC and then contracting it with a payroll provider to pay yourself with your own credit card and generate a paystub. What an incredibly dumb scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Sundae posted:

I should've known it'd cause a derail.

The post I responded to was:

The point of my response was that no, there's plenty to point to that (just like everywhere else) nobody gives a poo poo about regular citizens in Japan either. It's not about housing prices, zoning laws, whether country X is better than country Y. They've decided to poo poo on younger generations the same way that every other country has in recent decades, as demonstrated by (citations above, plus everything else people posted).

That's all; I had no intention of turning this into USA vs JP or implying there weren't people doing perfectly well for themselves in JP.

also the spirit behind my first reaction to the JP discussion - i feel like goons, especially american ones, think they are in a uniquely lovely situation living in the US when in fact we are all worldwide trapped in our own unique personal hells and there is no escape beyond embracing the teachings of the buddha or w/e