Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a good tip. Actually, I have an randori meet up with three other clubs this weekend and my second tournament next month. I'm kind of still struggling with very, very basic judo skills after a year of going once a week or maybe five times a month. I'm kind of impatient to stop feeling like I'm still making repeated fundamental errors.

They're starting to increase my training volume after talking with me about it though, and those classes feel great, like I actually come out of them feeling like I'm better at the throw than when I started. Next they want to do more volume but with "nage-waza" (spelling?), Where you move around and work your throws into the rhythm of the footwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

thank you karl

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Yo can I get Karl's addy in my gym you start all rolls in bottom mount with someone who weighs a billion times more on top and I'm having some issues.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Its weird how the triangle is such a fundmental move and yet questions about how to finish are brought up time and again.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Can anyone lend me a flo login for today for a few hours. My friend is competing at the Europeans and really don’t want to have to deal with flos poo poo (last time they charged me for a year up front) just for a purple belt match.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Its weird how the triangle is such a fundmental move and yet questions about how to finish are brought up time and again.

I’ve worked it out, I think. When I use the head wrap + inside bicep grip version of closed guard, I’m so concerned with getting my leg over, I was forgetting that you should step on the far hip first to keep their torso clamped tight. And I need to secure that before I try shooting my leg over.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I’ve worked it out, I think. When I use the head wrap + inside bicep grip version of closed guard, I’m so concerned with getting my leg over, I was forgetting that you should step on the far hip first to keep their torso clamped tight. And I need to secure that before I try shooting my leg over.

Stepping on the hip also elminates them trying to stack you once they know you are trying to perform a triangle. Pushing your knee into their shoulder prevents them from trying to shuck the leg and come around the corner. I think Renzo had a video on this at one point.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Had what was for me a novel situation: a big fat guy, like 300+lbs, was in mount, and he was trying for an Americana. I had his arm under my neck, but my head was turned away from the attacked arm. As he scooted up into high mount, he put so much strain on my neck by pushing my arm down one way and my head down the other way that I tapped rather than let things get bad. Maybe the strain wouldn't have increased much beyond that level but it was more than I'd ever from that position before.

Incidentally, he was embarrassed about it because he doesn't want to just brute force things, but I tried to reassure him it was actually a good thing because it shows that we can roll even though there's such a size difference and he won't hurt me because I can Just Tap.

Oh also, of all the men I've rolled with, which I guess doesn't include 250+lb body builders but which does include ~200lb body builders, he's the first on where trying to grab my own americana or kimura didn't just seem unfinishable, it felt downright perilous because he could move his single arm so powerfully that, even when I had my grips, it felt like I was sticking my hands into a machine. As in, if I didn't abandon my grips and pull my arms out of the path of travel it felt like they could get caught and hurt.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Judo friends, am I correct in thinking that Tani-Otoshi is the resort of cowards!

[It's me I'm the coward that punishes people trying turn throws with it while not offering any significant judo attacks]

When I first started, I was doing the same thing and my instructor told me that trying to be a counter player is a trap because it works well at the beginning but your own judo never improves that way. There are notable counter examples like Khabarelli but generally I think he’s right.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Comrade_Robot posted:

When I first started, I was doing the same thing and my instructor told me that trying to be a counter player is a trap because it works well at the beginning but your own judo never improves that way. There are notable counter examples like Khabarelli but generally I think he’s right.

I know theyre right, because in BJJ it doesnt work at all because no one offers any attacks to punish with Tani. So I try hard to be more aggresive and only offer tani if I get put in a bad spot.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I've been doing a Thursday class covering nothing but leglocks with a 10P leglocker who came over to our school and has been teaching the class. I see this is a serious lack in my game, just basics as knowing how to get to a heel hook position. This poo poo is no joke. The connections between back takes and attacking legs is for real! lol Last night I rolled with several pretty good leg lockers and each time I took their backs my legs ended up being threatened. It was frustrating and enlightening at the same time.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
First tournament, white belt. Got a participation bronze for losing.

I was the lightest guy in my weight class by over 20#. Lost my match 4-0 on points. It was about half standup and half me holding guard and trying but failing to sweep the other guy, until the clock ran out.

Even though I was warned about it, I was still surprised at how fast I got tired compared to a normal open mat roll. Especially hands and forearms. Definitely know some things I want to work on improving now.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Tyro posted:

I was the lightest guy in my weight class by over 20#. Lost my match 4-0 on points. It was about half standup and half me holding guard and trying but failing to sweep the other guy, until the clock ran out.

Even though I was warned about it, I was still surprised at how fast I got tired compared to a normal open mat roll. Especially hands and forearms. Definitely know some things I want to work on improving now.

This has been my experience with basically every comp fight so far: lost, but learned a lot for next time. One thing I found with sweeping bigger guys is that if I'm just trying to sweep over and over they can bottle up and use their base and weight to make things impossible so instead I alternate with trying to get my hips out to the side like I want to take the back and they have to adjust for that, which gives me the opportunity for the flower sweep or deep half transition or whatever.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Tyro posted:

What's up, first tournament buddy! I competed today for the first time as well! Mike Tyson said "everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the nose". Holy poo poo, was Mike right. Definitely an eye opening experience and looking forward to the next one.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goongrats on you two going out to compete. Hopefully you both can go back out and win gold down the line.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm glad to hear your forearms were fried; it's not something you want to have keep happening but for a first time match it shows you were going as hard as you can, that's good!

I attended a Judo club meet up and finally got to do Randori against other yellow belts with a year of experience - it was exactly what I wanted! I got thrown more than I threw but there was still back and forth and occasional moments of victory for me. I learned one of the yellow belts trains at the school I'm now visiting on Saturdays so, now that he knows I attend on then, maybe he'll be there to train with me.

I also saw my Sensei, widely reckoned as the best current Judoka in the state, demolish people that seemed, when not going with him, intimidating in their athleticism and drive. He has this incredible ability to cut angles, step in and out, pick his attacked leg up and reposition it so that it threatens his opponent, etc. He also varries his pace, he'll lull you with several slow, seemingly absent minded movements and then stab into an uchi mata like a coiled snake.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks y'all and congrats Acres of Quakers for getting out there too! The worst part was honestly the anticipation and waiting, I was there for 6 hours before my match came up - kids matches went way over on time. I warmed up like 4x because I didn't know when the hell I was going to be up, slowly going from super excited to "man let's get this over with so I can go home and help my wife with the kids".

I found another competition coming up in a few months, this one with Grappling Industries. It's a few hours away from me, looks like it's round robin, so guaranteed more matches which would be nice. Kind of sucked to burn a whole day to do one 5 minute round.

In hindsight I am thinking of several things I could have done to be more aggressive and potentially turn the tide. I think I'm also gonna lose some weight to drop down a bracket, so that I'm one of the heavier guys in the bracket next time rather than the lightest one.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I listened to a podcast recently that said Judo tournaments in Japan are over in two hours because they divide the mats up into very very small pieces and puts LOTS of competitors out there at once and man that is going to stick with me for the rest of my life as I spend all day waiting for my five minutes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

I listened to a podcast recently that said Judo tournaments in Japan are over in two hours because they divide the mats up into very very small pieces and puts LOTS of competitors out there at once and man that is going to stick with me for the rest of my life as I spend all day waiting for my five minutes.

I've never heard this but it could depend on the event. All of the Japanese tournaments I've seen footage of have been 8m or 10m combat areas.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

I've never heard this but it could depend on the event. All of the Japanese tournaments I've seen footage of have been 8m or 10m combat areas.

https://youtu.be/rmI_5E-baCU?t=26m35s

I'm having the hardest time manually time stamping that on mobile but the relevant bit is 26 minutes 35 seconds

Or maybe more like 25m even, listening to it again:

https://youtu.be/rmI_5E-baCU?t=25m00s

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 30, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

https://youtu.be/rmI_5E-baCU?t=26m35s

I'm having the hardest time manually time stamping that on mobile but the relevant bit is 26 minutes 35 seconds

Or maybe more like 25m even, listening to it again:

https://youtu.be/rmI_5E-baCU?t=25m00s

Oh yeah gotcha. So it's just for like a low-org HS tournament. Shintaro sounds like he still thinks it was weird 15-20 years out lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, lower level stuff, but I know IDGAF and, as a white/blue/purple belt I would be very happy to go to even an IBJJF that had 20 matches at once instead of 8 and that took two or three hours instead of six or more. Then again, I think refs would also be a limiting factor?

Starting to wonder if my tension headache with nausea wasn't actually a mild concussion after the scrimmage, I got countered twice trying to do ouchi gari and was thrown straight down and back, and both times the back of my head hit the mat. I'm sort of prone to headaches anyway but not normally nausea. Maybe I should take the week off from rolling :ohdear:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Congrats for getting out there and trying it! It can be daunting. Once you do a few it just becomes another day in the gym and youll get more comfortable with it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I felt I was some sort of judo god today during randori. Somehow everything turned out right against my sparring partner, I countered a foot sweep with a follow on foot sweep, got an offensive tani otoshi, and hit a beautiful uchimakikome. I fear tonight at BJJ im gonna get suplexed for my hubris.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Watching a video with "We must apologize for the background noise, there was a spin class taking place in the room opposite and we did not realize that the music was loud enough to be picked up by our camera." in the description and it's so relatable.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, lower level stuff, but I know IDGAF and, as a white/blue/purple belt I would be very happy to go to even an IBJJF that had 20 matches at once instead of 8 and that took two or three hours instead of six or more. Then again, I think refs would also be a limiting factor?

Starting to wonder if my tension headache with nausea wasn't actually a mild concussion after the scrimmage, I got countered twice trying to do ouchi gari and was thrown straight down and back, and both times the back of my head hit the mat. I'm sort of prone to headaches anyway but not normally nausea. Maybe I should take the week off from rolling :ohdear:

I once did a JBJJF event in Fukuoka and was legit worried I was gonna miss my flight back to Korea later that day 😄 so yeah if they had that set up that would have been cool.

Japan has all their sporting events on Sundays rather than Saturdays for some reason (maybe their weekend is Sun/Mon)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've gotten it into my dumb head that I'm gonna watch and follow the ~sport of jiu jitsu more (probably just the big events like Polaris, ONE, ADCC stuff etc.) and was curious if that sort of coverage would be worth people's time reading in this thread or not. I know this was usually meant to be the "technique discussion" stuff thread in the past so I'm happy to make a dying thread for that or post it in the MMA thread.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

:justpost:

Would definitely be interested in reading.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah its not like this thread suffers from too much activity. I don't care about IBJJF stuff though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Michael Transactions posted:

Yeah its not like this thread suffers from too much activity. I don't care about IBJJF stuff though.

Oh yeah I'm 100% not covering IBJJF tournaments lmao. I'm likely gonna just focus on the big no gi competitions because to me that seems to be where the ~SPORT~ (as in the paid competition stuff) is going to thrive best.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Within that I'd much rather see discussions and clips of cool moves in execution rather than any active following of the competitive scene

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Within that I'd much rather see discussions and clips of cool moves in execution rather than any active following of the competitive scene

Yeah pretty much this is what I'd like. Exhaustive summaries or previews of fights would bore me. Talking about what a jerk fighter x is sucks. Discussing technique and strategy at the highest levels is cool though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK cheers everyone. I think I've put together something worth posting as an initial foray into this idea.

GRAPPLE HUT HUDDLE (Feb. 2023)

THE NEWS

Early into the year, FloGrappling announced a major deal that could affect how things in the professional aspect of grappling play out when they announced a seven figure deal with ADCC Champion Gordon Ryan. It is not at all surprising that Ryan received such a lucrative deal given his accolades and recent showing submitting arguably one of the All-Time Great’s in Andre Galvao in their Superfight at ADCC 2022, as well as capturing a divisional championship in the same event. The non-exclusive deal is the biggest in the history of jiu jitsu, grappling, and probably even most combat sports. It was big enough news that Forbes covered it, in what I can only recall being the first time jiu jitsu was mentioned exclusively outside of an MMA discussion on their platform.

Around the same time as Gordon Ryan’s deal was announced, the second biggest news of the year came out towards the end of January. It was announced a two year broadcast deal between ADCC and the UFC’s online streaming platform UFC Fight Pass had been signed. The deal will start beginning of 2023 and run through the ADCC World Championship due to take place in 2024. This will also include all the ADCC Open and Trials events in the build up to the World Championship. In total that’s a reported 40 or so events across that time. To say this is a big deal is a bit of an understatement. For years FloGrappling have had a near monopoly on the premium grappling events and given the past two events held under Flo’s oversight being rife with numerous complaints and issues, this at least lets us see how the grappling world’s biggest event can look under different broadcasting partners and ones that know a thing or two about putting on a big event. The UFC has already ran a few grappling events with their invitationals, as well as partnering with Chael Sonnen’s Submission Underground event series for a bit. Also on Fight Pass is the Polaris ProGrappling organization that also run events focused around grappling. In short, this marks the first time a large streaming provider has made a play for the fairly niche sport of grappling and its better for the audience. FloGrappling’s subscription model is set at a fairly steep $30/month, where as UFC Fight Pass is half the cost of that and you get access to a lot more content that is likely to keep you on as a subscriber (unless you REALLY like FloEquestian’s coverage of horseback riding).

Marcelo Garcia, one of jiu jitsu’s pioneers and genuine contender for Greatest of All Time, broke the news that he was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Per his post on Instagram, he is set to start chemotherapy treatment for three months followed by surgery to remove the tumor that was found.

“Please keep me and my family on your prayers,” Garcia, 40, wrote. “Get your check ups, listen to your body, all I had was hiccups after eating and I’m glad I went to see a doctor.”

For those that aren’t fully aware of his impact on the sport of jiu jitsu, Marcelo Garcia is a member of the ADCC Hall of Fame’s inaugural class in 2022. He is also the only ADCC competitor who has won a weight division four different times in four different ADCC tournaments. Also, let’s not forget to mentionhis accolades in IBJJF competitions where he won five world titles from 2004 to 2011 before focusing on coaching in New York City.

In a rather odd (in the sense it sort of came out of nowhere), or potentially clever, move the UFC announced a deal with collegiate wrestler Bella Mir. Now, you may think to yourself, “Hey, isn’t that former UFC Champion Frank Mir’s daughter?” and you would be right.

In what is being described by some outlets as a “potential new method for talent development” it was announced that by the UFC that Bella Mir, a wrestler at the University of Iowa, as the promotion’s “first NIL (name, image, likeness) ambassador.” NIL deals have become more and more frequent amongst collegiate level athletes ever since the NCAA were pressured into loosening restrictions on what student athletes can leverage their celebrity in the collegiate sport space into money-making opportunities. In addition to this deal with Bella Mir, the UFC also inked a deal with the University of Iowa to sponsor its wrestling programs.

“The partnership between Iowa wrestling and UFC is a perfect fit,” men’s wrestling coach Tom Brands said in a December press release. “We both celebrate tough, physical athletes who compete at the highest level. There is a bridge between wrestlers and fighters across the two sports. With this agreement, it is even more significant.”

TECHNIQUE: THE BODY LOCK

If you’re like me and are not one of those super speedy and all over the place guard passers (aka stupid young person with their stupid youth and speed), then may I introduce you to the Lord & Savior of all sloth tier top players? Yes, I’m talking about the body lock pass. In this video, Lachlan Giles breaks down the standard variation of the body lock pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce7g__eV5iA

There are of course more nuances to the pass than this but I’ve been using this breakdown, as well as Nick Rodriguez’s post ADCC 2022 video, to better implement the technique into my game.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spB8qALp5rA]

In his body lock instructional, which is highly recommended, Lachlan breaks down the body lock pass into five key stages.

1) Forcing the back of the uke off of the mat.

2) Connecting hands behding the uke’s back.

3) Clearing the knee line on one side of the uke’s body, which is the side you’ll be passing to.

4) Freeing your secondary leg.

5) Securing side (or mount) position.

These five steps aren’t necessarily what needs to be done in that exact order but they are what is needed. Here is an example of a body lock pass in action featuring Nick Rodriguez at Fury Grappling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sztjmLZYxIQ

As mentioned, there doesn’t need to be all these steps followed in order. Here is a clip of a competitor at the ADCC 2022 Trials competing and pulling the body lock pass off using a slightly different setup and finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHiMfq-8yC0

You’ll notice the top player didn’t start from the more “standard” position (which is usually top butterfly guard) but secured his top position off of that initial scramble. In addition, the top player also had their outside leg free very early thanks to the scramble/roll back they did that saw them get on top. From there they used their free leg’s foot to pin the uke’s inside knee to then free the top player’s inside leg and secure mount.

Adding to all of this, Craig Jones discusses a small variation of the body lock pass in his instructional, Power Top, where he uses his outside hand to pin the uke’s leg while using his inside hand to wrap around the uke’s waist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEMFt6_VleA

While I have very limited success with the foot post technique Craig shows there, the more “standard” form of the body lock has, personally, helped me with my guard passing against a fair deal of partners while in the gym. This new angle/method of attack does seem to be useful depending on the situation, but also to me opens up concerns of losing the midsection pressure as you have a less secure grip.

PROS & CONS

(+) The main pro to using the body lock pass is that once their waist is wrapped around and your shoulder is applying pressure, it becomes quite difficult for the uke to make any distance from you.

(-) However, as Lachlan points out in his DVD, your hands are thus preoccupied and there is a chance of losing your base as compared to having them free and is something that you do need to be mindful of.This was my initial discussion of the body lock pass.

Again, I am far from an expert but is something I’ve found success with in my guard passing game as of late and it seems to also translate into higher end competitive usage as well.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I started getting obsessed with grabbing peoples legs to pass the guard instead of outside distance passing or knee slice passing, which is my main passing game. It's fun and high percentage. Just focus on squeezing their foot to their butt then pass.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’m seriously considering starting a little rash guard company. Are there any threads in these dead, gay forums about running a small mail-order business? I’m even willing to go offsite!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’m seriously considering starting a little rash guard company. Are there any threads in these dead, gay forums about running a small mail-order business? I’m even willing to go offsite!

There was a goon in this thread who did this exact thing out of...Australia... I think. Made South American Ground Karate gear. Was pretty dope.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

OK cheers everyone. I think I've put together something worth posting as an initial foray into this idea.

GRAPPLE HUT HUDDLE (Feb. 2023)

THE NEWS

Early into the year, FloGrappling announced a major deal that could affect how things in the professional aspect of grappling play out when they announced a seven figure deal with ADCC Champion Gordon Ryan. It is not at all surprising that Ryan received such a lucrative deal given his accolades and recent showing submitting arguably one of the All-Time Great’s in Andre Galvao in their Superfight at ADCC 2022, as well as capturing a divisional championship in the same event. The non-exclusive deal is the biggest in the history of jiu jitsu, grappling, and probably even most combat sports. It was big enough news that Forbes covered it, in what I can only recall being the first time jiu jitsu was mentioned exclusively outside of an MMA discussion on their platform.

Around the same time as Gordon Ryan’s deal was announced, the second biggest news of the year came out towards the end of January. It was announced a two year broadcast deal between ADCC and the UFC’s online streaming platform UFC Fight Pass had been signed. The deal will start beginning of 2023 and run through the ADCC World Championship due to take place in 2024. This will also include all the ADCC Open and Trials events in the build up to the World Championship. In total that’s a reported 40 or so events across that time. To say this is a big deal is a bit of an understatement. For years FloGrappling have had a near monopoly on the premium grappling events and given the past two events held under Flo’s oversight being rife with numerous complaints and issues, this at least lets us see how the grappling world’s biggest event can look under different broadcasting partners and ones that know a thing or two about putting on a big event. The UFC has already ran a few grappling events with their invitationals, as well as partnering with Chael Sonnen’s Submission Underground event series for a bit. Also on Fight Pass is the Polaris ProGrappling organization that also run events focused around grappling. In short, this marks the first time a large streaming provider has made a play for the fairly niche sport of grappling and its better for the audience. FloGrappling’s subscription model is set at a fairly steep $30/month, where as UFC Fight Pass is half the cost of that and you get access to a lot more content that is likely to keep you on as a subscriber (unless you REALLY like FloEquestian’s coverage of horseback riding).

Marcelo Garcia, one of jiu jitsu’s pioneers and genuine contender for Greatest of All Time, broke the news that he was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Per his post on Instagram, he is set to start chemotherapy treatment for three months followed by surgery to remove the tumor that was found.

“Please keep me and my family on your prayers,” Garcia, 40, wrote. “Get your check ups, listen to your body, all I had was hiccups after eating and I’m glad I went to see a doctor.”

For those that aren’t fully aware of his impact on the sport of jiu jitsu, Marcelo Garcia is a member of the ADCC Hall of Fame’s inaugural class in 2022. He is also the only ADCC competitor who has won a weight division four different times in four different ADCC tournaments. Also, let’s not forget to mentionhis accolades in IBJJF competitions where he won five world titles from 2004 to 2011 before focusing on coaching in New York City.

In a rather odd (in the sense it sort of came out of nowhere), or potentially clever, move the UFC announced a deal with collegiate wrestler Bella Mir. Now, you may think to yourself, “Hey, isn’t that former UFC Champion Frank Mir’s daughter?” and you would be right.

In what is being described by some outlets as a “potential new method for talent development” it was announced that by the UFC that Bella Mir, a wrestler at the University of Iowa, as the promotion’s “first NIL (name, image, likeness) ambassador.” NIL deals have become more and more frequent amongst collegiate level athletes ever since the NCAA were pressured into loosening restrictions on what student athletes can leverage their celebrity in the collegiate sport space into money-making opportunities. In addition to this deal with Bella Mir, the UFC also inked a deal with the University of Iowa to sponsor its wrestling programs.

“The partnership between Iowa wrestling and UFC is a perfect fit,” men’s wrestling coach Tom Brands said in a December press release. “We both celebrate tough, physical athletes who compete at the highest level. There is a bridge between wrestlers and fighters across the two sports. With this agreement, it is even more significant.”

TECHNIQUE: THE BODY LOCK

If you’re like me and are not one of those super speedy and all over the place guard passers (aka stupid young person with their stupid youth and speed), then may I introduce you to the Lord & Savior of all sloth tier top players? Yes, I’m talking about the body lock pass. In this video, Lachlan Giles breaks down the standard variation of the body lock pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce7g__eV5iA

There are of course more nuances to the pass than this but I’ve been using this breakdown, as well as Nick Rodriguez’s post ADCC 2022 video, to better implement the technique into my game.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spB8qALp5rA]

In his body lock instructional, which is highly recommended, Lachlan breaks down the body lock pass into five key stages.

1) Forcing the back of the uke off of the mat.

2) Connecting hands behding the uke’s back.

3) Clearing the knee line on one side of the uke’s body, which is the side you’ll be passing to.

4) Freeing your secondary leg.

5) Securing side (or mount) position.

These five steps aren’t necessarily what needs to be done in that exact order but they are what is needed. Here is an example of a body lock pass in action featuring Nick Rodriguez at Fury Grappling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sztjmLZYxIQ

As mentioned, there doesn’t need to be all these steps followed in order. Here is a clip of a competitor at the ADCC 2022 Trials competing and pulling the body lock pass off using a slightly different setup and finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHiMfq-8yC0

You’ll notice the top player didn’t start from the more “standard” position (which is usually top butterfly guard) but secured his top position off of that initial scramble. In addition, the top player also had their outside leg free very early thanks to the scramble/roll back they did that saw them get on top. From there they used their free leg’s foot to pin the uke’s inside knee to then free the top player’s inside leg and secure mount.

Adding to all of this, Craig Jones discusses a small variation of the body lock pass in his instructional, Power Top, where he uses his outside hand to pin the uke’s leg while using his inside hand to wrap around the uke’s waist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEMFt6_VleA

While I have very limited success with the foot post technique Craig shows there, the more “standard” form of the body lock has, personally, helped me with my guard passing against a fair deal of partners while in the gym. This new angle/method of attack does seem to be useful depending on the situation, but also to me opens up concerns of losing the midsection pressure as you have a less secure grip.

PROS & CONS

(+) The main pro to using the body lock pass is that once their waist is wrapped around and your shoulder is applying pressure, it becomes quite difficult for the uke to make any distance from you.

(-) However, as Lachlan points out in his DVD, your hands are thus preoccupied and there is a chance of losing your base as compared to having them free and is something that you do need to be mindful of.This was my initial discussion of the body lock pass.

Again, I am far from an expert but is something I’ve found success with in my guard passing game as of late and it seems to also translate into higher end competitive usage as well.

Im enjoying these types of posts and hope to see more.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Defenestrategy posted:

There was a goon in this thread who did this exact thing out of...Australia... I think. Made South American Ground Karate gear. Was pretty dope.

...craig jones?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Head Bee Guy posted:

...craig jones?

They mean 02-6611-0142-1.

They made the "Reap Knees for Satan" shirt as well.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im enjoying these types of posts and hope to see more.

Unironically I opened the thread just now to delete the post because I felt like it was utterly stupid and lovely of me, a literal moron on the mat, to write something up on techniques etc. so I appreciate seeing this before I did that.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Extremely excited about technique of the month, and I also like hearing these overviews of the larger sport because I'd like to keep up with it enough to hold a conversation at the gym.