Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And the goalposts move ever in favor of the gatekeepers,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yes, I don't understand why anyone would want to read Beloved or As I Lay Dying.

Trash authors, those Toni Morrisons and William Faulkners, with their boring characters and mediocre writing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

Yes, I don't understand why anyone would want to read Beloved or As I Lay Dying.

Trash authors, those Toni Morrisons and William Faulkners, with their boring characters and mediocre writing.

[sarcastic hyperbole]Darn tootin.' They should have taken lessons from good writers like Dan Brown or Dean Koontz.[/sarcastic hyperbole]

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
As I Lay Dying was the first book I disliked so much I got mad about it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I read a book by David Weber years ago, Out of the Dark, and it was the only book I've read that made me want to throw the goddamn book across the room.

It's basically a "what if humans were the defenders of their planet and only surviving via guerilla warfare" and at the time it made me think it was an allegory for the Iraq War, and he fuckin John Cenas with a steel chair vlad goddamn tepes as being the savior of humanity, out of loving nowhere.

I'm still mad about that book, to the point of probably never reading a single book by him ever again.

I even went back to see if I was stupid and missed something, and I couldn't find anything relevant other than maybe a chapter or two before the ending before hinting at it. I was enjoying it up until that point.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

UwUnabomber posted:

I think I was too bewildered and disconnected to get mad.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

UwUnabomber posted:

Mine was Catcher in the Rye. As soon as I finished the book report on it, I took it outside along with a metal pot, tore out half the pages, and lit it on fire. Good riddance.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I know ~~both sides~~ is usually bullshit, but there's just as much good literary fiction as there is good SFF, and the same goes for bad books. If you've only read what you're given at high school or whatever, then yeah you're probably not going to come away with a great impression, same if you'd only ever read Heinlein or Sanderson or Rothfuss.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kestral posted:

Mine was Catcher in the Rye. As soon as I finished the book report on it, I took it outside along with a metal pot, tore out half the pages, and lit it on fire. Good riddance.

Mine was The Education of Little Tree, which I felt vindicated on by discovering years later that it was written by a KKK member

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Chainclaw posted:

I just finished Piranesi. What a great, short book. I can’t think of anything bad about it, it’s just so good too to bottom.

I’m really hoping for a good film adaptation of that, it feels like it would be a great world to see on a screen. It also feels like it would be a very inexpensive movie to do well.

Philip Reeve, who wrote Mortal Engines and Railhead, among other things (books for young people that tend to avoid the worst bits of modern YA tropes and style) and also illustrated a bunch of Horrible Histories books, did some "fan" art of Piranesi recently which I thought was incredibly good.

https://twitter.com/philipreeve1/status/1619069741448171520?t=VEaHkPE0qjwX7IfGt72gDg&s=19

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kestral posted:

It's actually kinda funny the near-universal hatred I've seen from people who read that book in school. If you ever have a talk about "real literature I hate", Catcher will always be there and maybe also The Scarlet Letter.

Of course, I think TSL's negative reputation is more a victim of bad education than the quality of the book itself. "Please list all the symbolism in the book" Symbolism is great but this method of learning is probably why we got "the curtains are just frickin' blue."

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I read a book by David Weber years ago, Out of the Dark, and it was the only book I've read that made me want to throw the goddamn book across the room.

It's basically a "what if humans were the defenders of their planet and only surviving via guerilla warfare" and at the time it made me think it was an allegory for the Iraq War, and he fuckin John Cenas with a steel chair vlad goddamn tepes as being the savior of humanity, out of loving nowhere.

I'm still mad about that book, to the point of probably never reading a single book by him ever again.

I even went back to see if I was stupid and missed something, and I couldn't find anything relevant other than maybe a chapter or two before the ending before hinting at it. I was enjoying it up until that point.

Huh, I read the same book, and I only liked it after the vampire stuff started happening. Was ok, but prefer Path of the Fury when it comes to Webers supernatural fantasy/ scifi mixes

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

NikkolasKing posted:

It's actually kinda funny the near-universal hatred I've seen from people who read that book in school. If you ever have a talk about "real literature I hate", Catcher will always be there and maybe also The Scarlet Letter.

Of course, I think TSL's negative reputation is more a victim of bad education than the quality of the book itself. "Please list all the symbolism in the book" Symbolism is great but this method of learning is probably why we got "the curtains are just frickin' blue."

My hatred for it was probably made worse because I was either reading or had just finished reading The Silmarillion for the first time, and the contrast between them was so stark that it made Catcher all the more infuriating.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea #5) by Ursula K Le Guin - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZX86BO/

Promise of Blood (Powder Mage #1) by Brian McClellan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092XHPIG/

Age of Ash (Kithmar #1) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0976XDNF2/

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

cptn_dr posted:

Philip Reeve, who wrote Mortal Engines and Railhead, among other things (books for young people that tend to avoid the worst bits of modern YA tropes and style) and also illustrated a bunch of Horrible Histories books, did some "fan" art of Piranesi recently which I thought was incredibly good.

He's done illustrations for a wide range of children's educational books under the same imprint as Horrible Histories, all with a remarkably detailed and clear style. Mervyn Peake's the only other novelist-artist I know of.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

he fuckin John Cenas with a steel chair vlad goddamn tepes as being the savior of humanity

Oh sure when Zelazny does it it's fine but ok I'll stop.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You'll be pleased to hear their's a sequel called Into the Light written by DW and one of his flunkies. I.e. actually written by the flunky.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I was reading a list of coming releases for February and apparently Lovecraft Country has a sequel. Destroyer of Worlds drops on the 21st.

Lovecraft 2:Lovecraft Harder posted:

Atticus, Montrose, Hippolyta, Letitia, Ruby, and other characters from Lovecraft Country—including Caleb Braithwaite and the ghost of Hiram Winthrop—return in this new supernatural adventure set in 1957 Chicago and North Carolina. (February 21)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ninurta posted:

I was reading a list of coming releases for February and apparently Lovecraft Country has a sequel. Destroyer of Worlds drops on the 21st.

Oh amazing. I adored the first book.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Kestral posted:

Preach.

I will defend it as the best book I've ever hated because I've never had anything before or since infuriate me so much. And I read some real infuriating customer service comments on the the company intranet.

Seriously, if it got me that good then author did something right. And Holden Caufield is the best example of protagonist =/= hero.

But also just gently caress that book top to bottom.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every single person who hated Catcher read it in highschool. Every person who still hates it never grew past highschool.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Every single person who hated Catcher read it in highschool. Every person who still hates it never grew past highschool.

:hmmwrong:

Jokes on you, I liked Scarlett Letterand the symbolism of class. I also thought I am the Cheese was neat.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just thought Catcher was bland, but to be fair at the time I resented being told to read anything so I'd skim assigned books the minimum amount to sort of answer the questions about them. Also it was in Hebrew translation, who knows how good that was.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I kinda like Catcher. :shrug:

I'm not really a big fan of flood-of-words stream of consciousness narration and As I Lay Dying is at least partially to blame for my disdain for it. I felt like Faulkner was trying to obscure the story he was telling from me. It was just frustrating. "My mother is a fish." my rear end.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

"I related to Holden in high school but now that I've matured I now know he was a nasty brat" is a common enough response to the book.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Gaius Marius posted:

I love Catcher, and it's a real tragedy that if it hits you during the exact right stage of your life it obliterates your brain, and yet it's almost guaranteed that you won't be at that stage in high school

but these sort of smug little adages are a big reason people roll their eyes at conversations involving literature

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FPyat posted:

"I related to Holden in high school but now that I've matured I now know he was a nasty brat" is a common enough response to the book.

By idiots, yes

WarpDogs posted:

I love Catcher, and it's a real tragedy that if it hits you during the exact right stage of your life it obliterates your brain, and yet it's almost guaranteed that you won't be at that stage in high school

but these sort of smug little adages are a big reason people roll their eyes at conversations involving literature

There's nothing smug about the truth.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gaius Marius posted:

By idiots, yes

This is aggressively rude.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is aggressively rude.

More or less than bragging about your inability to feel empathy for teenagers?

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

This isn't just wrong, it's so wrong that it is difficult to think of anything you could have said that could possibly have been less correct.

Smugness is where you're getting satisfaction from emphasising how you're better (in some manner) than someone else; in the context of an argument like this one, the specific metric is being more correct than the other party. Truth is not a defence against smugness, it's a requirement for smugness. Only someone [who thinks they're they're] stating the truth can be smug!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I get no satisfaction from this only depression at people valuing posturing against a fictional teen over actually learning to have an ounce of empathy for troubled people in bad situations

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I didn’t really like Catcher in high school and I’m not going to bother to reread it again to see if my opinion changes, but I really nailed an A Separate Peace joke the other day and I’m really proud of it

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Catcher had some standout moments that I still think about decades later but on the whole the story doesn’t do much for me. Different from Scarlet Letter, where I’ll always respect the absurdity of the concept but I’ll be damned if I can remember anything specific on a scene-level.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

come on, gamer, i even agree with you about catcher in the rye being good.

i just think this whole "make a blanket statement, then call everyone who disagrees with me an immature idiot" bit you're doing is basically just taking a minor and inconsequential point of disagreement ("did someone enjoy a book"), then intentionally distorting this into a much more significant issue ("if someone didn't enjoy the book, it's because they're a callous and/or hateful person who lacks of empathy for the disadvantaged") then dismissing any attempt to actually engage on the topic because that would get in the way of using this made-up opinion as a pretext to indulge in being rude and contemptuous to people to gain emotional validation about how much better you are than them. it's the way a literal schoolyard bully acts and its just as immature!

and layering an extra helping of "who, me? smug? self-satisfied? oh no, you misunderstand me, i'm just... depressed. depressed by how much better I am than everyone else... truly it's a sad life being the only person in the room with the genius and the emotional intelligence..." sure doesn't make you any less of condescending rear end in a top hat.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I could beat up Holden Caulfield. Only thing he's gonna catch are these guns.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm responding to the multiple people who demonstrated, in their own words, their lack of empathy for Holden. I'm not arguing against a straw man.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Folks, back off from the Holden fan! You don't want to end up like Lennon, right?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
holden…[loud dial up noises]…deez nuts

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Holden was definitely annoying but I still enjoyed The Expanse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

holden…[loud dial up noises]…deez nuts