Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dik Hz posted:

100% agree. Pocket listings are a thing, especially in hot markets.

The general homebuyjng public sucks and as a seller it’s worth a premium to not have to deal with that.

Pocket listings make very little sense to me from a seller perspective. In a hot market listing the house and selling it takes maybe a week longer and you actually have a roll at getting an honest bidding war going on. I guess maybe you might save on staging or not have to move out of the house first. That's the only advantage I could imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Muir posted:

This must not have been in Los Angeles.

No, not LA. And I know Persian salesmen, but that wasn’t really him at all. Picture a soft spoken, chubby, balding guy in his 60s or 70s peering over his glasses. With the little cord attached to them.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

El Mero Mero posted:

Pocket listings make very little sense to me from a seller perspective. In a hot market listing the house and selling it takes maybe a week longer and you actually have a roll at getting an honest bidding war going on. I guess maybe you might save on staging or not have to move out of the house first. That's the only advantage I could imagine.
The biggest risk when selling a house is that the deal falls through at the last minute.

Pocket listings go out to vetted buyers, which reduces that risk.

I also think you might be overestimating what percentage of listings actually end up in bidding wars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think as with pretty much everything in this thread it's very dependent on location. Most of my friends who have bought houses have been enmeshed in various bidding wars, but this is a hot and expensive market. Here, I doubt that pocket listings make a lot of sense right now for the seller.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think as with pretty much everything in this thread it's very dependent on location. Most of my friends who have bought houses have been enmeshed in various bidding wars, but this is a hot and expensive market. Here, I doubt that pocket listings make a lot of sense right now for the seller.
I don’t think anecdotes are particularly insightful here. A house that’s priced low and gets into a bidding war is going to be interacted with by many more buyers and particularly unsophisticated buyers.

It’s like the “your friends have more friends than you” paradox.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

I don’t think anecdotes are particularly insightful here. A house that’s priced low and gets into a bidding war is going to be interacted with by many more buyers and particularly unsophisticated buyers.

It’s like the “your friends have more friends than you” paradox.

I'm using an anecdote to point out that this is probably super variable and "X is blanket good or bad" is not a reasonable position to hold.

edit: in my particular corner of the world we are talking about bidding wars over ask on a consistent basis

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm using an anecdote to point out that this is probably super variable and "X is blanket good or bad" is not a reasonable position to hold.

edit: in my particular corner of the world we are talking about bidding wars over ask on a consistent basis
Who’s saying “X is blanket good or bad”?

When I say that most buyers are stupid (see thread title), I’m including in that people who intentionally only look at houses listed far below actual value and then complain about bidding wars.

It’s got the same vibe as employers who try to hire skilled professionals for well under market and then blame people for not wanting to work rather than blaming their own expectations in regards to their budget.

At the end of the day, in regards to pocket listings, the seller is trading the hassle of a public listing plus some risk that an unserious buyer pulls out versus the risk that the seller might not be reaching the highest serious bidder.

That risk analysis could go either way dependent on a lot of factors. “My friends get involved in a lot of bidding wars” probably isn’t one of those factors.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have no idea what point you're trying to make so just gonna say go with God

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have no idea what point you're trying to make so just gonna say go with God
Houses listed far below their actual value are always a hot market. You can’t draw any broad conclusions from that small slice of the market.

Is that sufficiently dumbed down for you or do I need to pare it down even further?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Houses listed far below their actual value are always a hot market. You can’t draw any broad conclusions from that small slice of the market.

Is that sufficiently dumbed down for you or do I need to pare it down even further?

no that's sufficient thank you!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 27, 2023

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Not necessarily, but often this is the case.

Pocket listings also happen when someone just wants to be rid of the house without a ton of hassle. Think old people, their estates after they die, etc.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I find most estates are insanely high on the asking price because the inherites are insane and grieving. Never try to buy a house owned by more then one person.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I find most estates are insanely high on the asking price because the inherites are insane and grieving. Never try to buy a house owned by more then one person.

We submitted an offer on an estate property. I felt pretty confident I knew what it was worth and that they were asking 25% too much. So I made my offer.

They didn't even respond. A full two years later I see it finally sold. For exactly what I offered.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

therobit posted:

Not necessarily, but often this is the case.

Pocket listings also happen when someone just wants to be rid of the house without a ton of hassle. Think old people, their estates after they die, etc.

Having a vetted buyer is also a really big deal for them.

Also a lot of pocket listings still see bidding wars. Just because it wasn't listed doesn't mean there aren't multiple offers. If the listing agent quietly puts word around to people he knows, and a few people he knows also reach out to him because they have client looking in the area he specializes in, you can very easily end up with a few interested parties. And these are parties that have good finances, aren't dependent on loaning services that won't let them waive contingencies, etc.

From the seller's point of view having the security that the deal will close is a huge thing, because you're also needing that cash to get your next place.

It's advantages and trade offs all the way down.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dik Hz posted:

Contractors/subs usually know who the good real estate agents are. Do you know any contractors?

I know some, but none in the area where I'm looking to buy so I don't imagine they would be much use. If I was moving to New Hampshire, I'd be gold.

Also, a more general question, now that I'm back at it, are there any good, reliable basic resources I should be reading and understanding so I can avoid being a complete idiot?

This whole process seems like a big exercise in figuring out who and what to trust and historically I have had been exceptionally terrible at trusting the right people and information sources. (So that's why I'm asking strangers here on an obsolete internet forum, surely that will help this time be different)

Edit:
Property I just looked at, I was unsure where the property lines were and got send the plat maps and a notice that "knowing them for sure would require survey but the plat maps are probably mostly right, give or take 10 feet in either direction". That worries me a bit.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 31, 2023

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Went under contract today. Inspection scheduled for Friday morning. Looking forward to getting deeply stupid.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jesus In A Can posted:

Went under contract today. Inspection scheduled for Friday morning. Looking forward to getting deeply stupid.

I'm so sorry and congratulations

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

GlyphGryph posted:

I know some, but none in the area where I'm looking to buy so I don't imagine they would be much use. If I was moving to New Hampshire, I'd be gold.

Do you have a plumber and/or chimney guy in the Amherst area? Asking for a me.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Finally got initial pricing on a proposed custom home build and.... over $900/sq. ft.

Lol. No.

Architect was guessing around 500.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

gvibes posted:

Finally got initial pricing on a proposed custom home build and.... over $900/sq. ft.

Lol. No.

What are you trying to build and where... 900 a sq is something. That include land?

I'm bougie as gently caress and I could get a house well into the 300's with certain high end finishes and expensive HVAC selections and appliances, but I don't know if I could hit 500 or 900 a sq ft here in TX if I tried.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

gvibes posted:

Lol. No.

Small and/or complicated job?
Unconventional structure and/or details?
Difficult site/access issues?

Inquiring minds want to know…

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is this the one where you need a blimp to access the job site? Like up?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

skipdogg posted:

What are you trying to build and where... 900 a sq is something. That include land?

I'm bougie as gently caress and I could get a house well into the 300's with certain high end finishes and expensive HVAC selections and appliances, but I don't know if I could hit 500 or 900 a sq ft here in TX if I tried.
Cottage/lake house in michigan. Does not include land, we already own that. I absolutely don't understand anything. To your point, HVAC alone was quoted at 180k. I will find out more tomorrow.

Anza Borrego posted:

Small and/or complicated job?
Unconventional structure and/or details?
Difficult site/access issues?

Inquiring minds want to know…
Large-ish? 3500 sq ft or so. Not too far from large-ish city, so it's not remote or difficult to access. Flat lot, right off the street.

I think maybe my architect specified some costly details and we need to back those off. Only really interesting "feature" is a stairway, but I see that in here, and it's only like 15k

It's just a modern-ish looking box, nothing too complex.

Everything seems ridiculous. 180k for HVAC? 150k for excavation and a concrete slab (not like it's bedrock or anything)? 300k in framing lumber?

Popete posted:

Texas really is a different place when ~3500 sqft is only "large-ish".
I have five kids.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 1, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is the hvac 4 911 porches running the ac?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Artisanal, bespoke sheet metal.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
It’s probably the builders nice way of saying they don’t want the job.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Popete posted:

My house is a little over 3400 sq ft and yeah it’s large-ish. The big houses around here are like 5000 or more. I could actually use 1 more room since my wife started WFH as well. I’m in TX, OP is not.

Cost per sq ft usually goes down the bigger the house as the expensive stuff gets spread out a bit more.

180k for HVAC is nuts. Even the super high end systems Matt Risinger puts in his homes cost like a third of that at most.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

laxbro posted:

It's this, sorry to spoil the surprise.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

My house is a little over 3400 sq ft and yeah it’s large-ish. The big houses around here are like 5000 or more. I could actually use 1 more room since my wife started WFH as well. I’m in TX, OP is not.

Cost per sq ft usually goes down the bigger the house as the expensive stuff gets spread out a bit more.

180k for HVAC is nuts. Even the super high end systems Matt Risinger puts in his homes cost like a third of that at most.

Yeah I suppose it's not McMansion level large. Living in the city really skews your perspective.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That sounds like a "gently caress you" quote.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the cost/sq ft for a matt rinsinger built house. I watched an absolute gently caress-ton of his videos during lockdown

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Popete posted:

Yeah I suppose it's not McMansion level large. Living in the city really skews your perspective.

Granted I have 0 kids but it is 3X the size of my current place and 5X the place me and my partner lived in for 5 years before this one. The city really does skew how you look at things.

laxbro posted:

Definitely this.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

skipdogg posted:

No cost per square foot goes down the bigger the house because the fixed costs get distributed (permits, architect fees, engineering, land acquisition). The expensive stuff in a bigger build gets proportionally more expensive if it's an expensive material or exponentially more expensive if that stuff is expensive because it's time consuming to install correctly.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Also,probably depends pretty heavily on whether land is your limiting factor or not. Guessing TX, probably not a factor. :v:

I'm imagining the up-front cost of getting enough land to even consider plopping a 3,500-sqft house in the bay area. :lol: The more contiguous land you need here, the higher the costs go exponentially.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Comrades, please share your lived experiences with buying and living in a co-op.

There is a suspiciously good opportunity and I am researching.

I will absorb goon wisdom.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Comrades, please share your lived experiences with buying and living in a co-op.

There is a suspiciously good opportunity and I am researching.

I will absorb goon wisdom.

I have several friends who have done it (all in the same co-op) and it was a positive experience for all of them overall. I'd definitely look into the structure of the agreement and talk to some folks who are living there currently. Read board meeting minutes / annual reports if you have access to them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

They are kind of just a NY thing. You should read about some of the struggles healthcare workers had just trying to stay with family during COVID.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Just told my agent that I want to make a first offer on a condo :ohdear: Please send prayers to your chosen deity for me and maybe toss in some tips for the emotional roller coaster I'm about to go through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
The market near me is full of old poo poo houses that are overpriced so I'm looking into modular or manufactured homes with some land. Anyone venture into that territory before?