Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TerminalSaint posted:

I was super excited for the organic supports and the cut tool improvements, but reading though I'm just as excited about some of the smaller stuff like dynamic overhang speed and monotonic lines fill pattern.

I have been unreasonably excited about the addition of a ruler, saving me the hassle of bringing models into sketchup just to make sure holes are the right size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Hadlock posted:

Some kind of connection issue (flaky cable/connector?): Got error -1 in write: (19)No such device

Looks like your print-ending-event: Filament Sensor btt_smart: runout event detected, Time 28205.27

Followed by: Exiting SD card print (position 5548524)

My guess is that your filament sensor sent a false positive about filament runout which aborted (rather than paused?) the print. If it happens again with the same message I'd replace the filament sensor. Or see if you can set the condition to trigger a pause rather than full abort.

Weird connection issues could be (wild speculation ahead) caused by voltage spikes on your PSU causing multiple things (usb connection, filament sensor) to malfunction

I *think* the Filament Sensor runout event is after the failure since the EOF is prior to it, when it should not have hit EOF. Either case it only ever should pause the print on run out.

Gonna replace the control board and try a new USB cable. If that doesn't solve it then new power supply time!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the current state of ABS printing with modern slicer profiles?

Looking at a couple of videos looks like if you stick to the default profile in prusaslicer and don't print anything with too many tall, sharp, acute angles layer adhesion is ok? And print with a draft shield enabled? I guess PEI build sheet solves adhesion issues.

When I first bought this thing I bought, uh, six rolls of ABS, which I've never opened, because apparently ABS is not as easy to print with as PLA, and would like to use up at some point.

Sounds like on a glass bed with too fast of print speed, no draft shield, and older models that can't print with a nozzle temp of ~245+, ABS was a real bitch to print with, but now with modern equipment and printer profiles, is mostly fine, so long as you don't mind the long print time?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

No. Now hotbox your printer

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hadlock posted:

What is the current state of ABS printing with modern slicer profiles?

Looking at a couple of videos looks like if you stick to the default profile in prusaslicer and don't print anything with too many tall, sharp, acute angles layer adhesion is ok? And print with a draft shield enabled? I guess PEI build sheet solves adhesion issues.

When I first bought this thing I bought, uh, six rolls of ABS, which I've never opened, because apparently ABS is not as easy to print with as PLA, and would like to use up at some point.

Sounds like on a glass bed with too fast of print speed, no draft shield, and older models that can't print with a nozzle temp of ~245+, ABS was a real bitch to print with, but now with modern equipment and printer profiles, is mostly fine, so long as you don't mind the long print time?

I can get esun abs+ to print fine but i think normal abs is still really prone to warping even on a modern prusa mk3 bed. I think a creality/ender tent from amazon is the cheapest way to get a warm enclosure for abs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

edit: tree supports are hollow:

Working pretty loving good for an open alpha. I don't think this car shell was an easy one for the algorithm to parse. Probably will get better in 2.7 but it's already miles better than the old way of doing supports

BMan posted:

No. Now hotbox your printer

ok fine

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 1, 2023

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Enclosure has the added benefit of containing the ABS smell. Not that it's super terrible, but why smell it if you don't have to

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

When I was fiddling with ABS a while ago, the thing that worked was just putting a cardboard box over the printer. Can't get much cheaper than that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

So almost exactly 1 lb per hour. Not bad

Unrelated,

Is there any way to efficiently print something like this, like a custom body shell for an RC car, without either using a ton of support material, or doing a hyper intricate custom slice job and gluing it all together, I've been puzzling over this can't can't think of a way. Maybe cura does supports that's aren't nightmare level to pull out of a highly concave model like this. Using FDM

https://stlprintables.com/product/porsche-911-classic-printable-body-car/

Nerobro posted:

The short answer, is no. Body shapes are not well suited to 3d printing. They violate every rule, even when printed at a funky angle.

Javid posted:

a thin body shell like the one pictured would be unprintable. However, if you are willing to do the modeling yourself and deal with some extra chunkiness and support cleanup on the inside, I believe you could make one that IS printable if you really wanted to

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No amount of support is gonna make that model FDM printable as-is. You would think a website that sells "printable" STLs would like, slice the models to verify that.

my oh my, how things have changed since July of last year

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

1. Holy hell using organic supports loving rules
2. On the other hand, my prints are popping right off the supports when I flex my build plate, which is normally great, but now I need to get my fingernails under all these tiny support brims to get them off the build plate and it's loving up my nail polish :mad:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I've found that plastic razor scrapers are very good at getting stuff off of build plates without damaging the plate or your nails.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm deeply impressed with organic supports so far

I highly recommend turning on "avoid crossing curled overhangs" under print settings -> layers and perimeters -> quality. I had two maybe three "twigs" on a branch snap off at one point. Luckily it was very close to the print objects angled wall and it sort of "grew back" over about 5-10 layers doesn't seem to have impacted the print

Looks like nothing is going to catch on fire will check back in in the morning

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Starting slinging organic supports to all of my printers

And let me say
at my old job
I was showing off 3d prints all the time
it was 2019
it was new and exotic
a woman at the office was interested in getting her husband a 3d printer for his birthday
she asked me if it was messy
I said "no"
my answer would be very different if I had an ankermake
because when this bitch slings spaghetti
it loving slings spaghetti everywhere

Like if either of my Prusas go spaghetti mode, there's just kind of a big ball of ramen noodles dragging around the bed
The Anker, with how fast it moves, will leave filament all over the table it's on, into the y belts, all over the floor, just fuckin
everywhere

Considering setting up a non-functional octoprint instance just so I can have a real webcam on it and keep the setup in the same place as my other printers, since the built-in camera is focused on the current Z height rather than looking down at an angle
And my god is the hotend assembly a fuckin mess. I had to disassemble it a few days ago to replace it and it is an absolutely baffling series of engineering decisions. If it ever hits a snag and starts grinding filament, it has a real nice cavity for all that PLA dust to build up in and contaminate all your future prints. Aaaaaand it's not super quick to get into that cavity and clean it out.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 1, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bondematt posted:

I *think* the Filament Sensor runout event is after the failure since the EOF is prior to it, when it should not have hit EOF. Either case it only ever should pause the print on run out.

Gonna replace the control board and try a new USB cable. If that doesn't solve it then new power supply time!

Replaced the board and apparently the SKR E3 Mini V2 has Mini USB so I needed a new cable anyway. Weird to see that is still a thing.

Happily printing away, so hopefully no more mid-long rear end print shutdowns.

Also I switched back to PLA from PETG cause I couldn't get good first layers with PETG on complex first layer prints and man PLA really is such a dream filament.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well my extruder failed, grub screw came loose or something. Please enjoy a half completed print. Most of this (85%?) came off by hand, the rest came off with very minimal tool usage in under 3 minutes. No sanding no post processing besides pulling the supports off

Note the trunk handle and door handle

More smooth detail shots

What great technology. This really changes what I'll be able to print in the future

Edit: vs post processing this garage heap :lol::lol:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 1, 2023

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Build a Voron and never have to worry about issues with printing ABS again lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or just put a cardboard box over your printer, as noted, because literally the only thing that makes a voron better at ABS than an ender or a prusa is the enclosure

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Hadlock posted:

my oh my, how things have changed since July of last year
I'm not entirely sure why you all are suddenly so excited, you could have done any of this stuff in Cura when they added tree supports over four years ago.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'm printing voron parts with an open sided box around my ender.

Biggest game changer is running the bed at 105 and a PEI sheet. No warping on anything, using plain Polymaker ABS.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sockser posted:

1. Holy hell using organic supports loving rules
2. On the other hand, my prints are popping right off the supports when I flex my build plate, which is normally great, but now I need to get my fingernails under all these tiny support brims to get them off the build plate and it's loving up my nail polish :mad:

senrath posted:

I've found that plastic razor scrapers are very good at getting stuff off of build plates without damaging the plate or your nails.

I found metal clay sculpting tools with those little hooks and tiny blunt wedges to be superior to plastic blades

The ones checked are the ones I usually use. You don't have to buy them all and can get smaller sets from other conglomerates.

The angled flat coin thing I use to get between the support and model and pry up with.

Something like this. Keywords to use to find them in webstores "mini tool pick"

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

BMan posted:

Enclosure has the added benefit of containing the ABS smell. Not that it's super terrible, but why smell it if you don't have to

The smell isn't the bad part about ABS. It's the styrenes your plastic is offgassing. They are carcinogenic, and fairly severely so. That smell should be hinting that you need to do more than bag your printer if you want to print ABS safely. (People who tell you that it "settles out" and is safe are full of poo poo.)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sockser posted:

The Anker, with how fast it moves, will leave filament all over the table it's on, into the y belts, all over the floor, just fuckin
everywhere

Hello, I have seen this with my Ankermake and it does give the bed a good thorough brushing, huh?

I cut down on a lot of that by using PrusaSlicer (Cura profiles also available) profiles from this guy who updates with more sane settings.

https://github.com/just-trey/AnkerMake-M5-Profile

Make the gcode and ... upload it with Anker's Slicer because gently caress SD cards.

quote:

Considering setting up a non-functional octoprint instance just so I can have a real webcam on it and keep the setup in the same place as my other printers, since the built-in camera is focused on the current Z height rather than looking down at an angle

I know a new detector application came out that was not the Octopi's Spaghetti Detector. So yes, I am following your trail.

quote:

And my god is the hotend assembly a fuckin mess.

:dawkins101:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Or just put a cardboard box over your printer, as noted, because literally the only thing that makes a voron better at ABS than an ender or a prusa is the enclosure

Never mind printing faster and better.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Make the gcode and ... upload it with Anker's Slicer because gently caress SD cards.
lol you mean "gently caress usb-c thumb drives"

quote:

I know a new detector application came out that was not the Octopi's Spaghetti Detector. So yes, I am following your trail.

Having Spaghetti Detective or ... the other one that my friends use
Would be cool and all, but
1. I don't think it would work since spaghetti detective needs to know that your printer is printing-- and you can't octoprint on the ankermake (yet) (until somebody fuckin cracks something on the mainboard)
2. Honestly I don't even care, I just want to actually be able to see what's printing. I can't tell if the print is failing until well after it starts to fail because the camera is absolute dogshit being mounted the way it is

e:
Also since you're the other Anker-haver in this thread
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NSZPQZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get that textured sheet the gently caress out of there if you're gonna be printing PLA
This has greatly reduced the number of failures I've had
It should be illegal to ship a printer with only a textured sheet

Sockser fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 1, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

For people not familiar with the Ankermake
This is what the camera gives you:

Is my first layer going down correctly?
Who the gently caress knows!

If you have the built-in AI turned on, it'll raise the Z by like 10mm after laying down the first layer to check if it's good, which is... cool
But then the hotend oozes pretty bad so it'll leave a blob which'll catch on the second or third layer and knock your print off the bed because it comes with a textured sheet.
Also the AI appears to not actually do anything after that

Sucks that it kinda sucks but is also pretty good but also sucks real bad

update:
that first layer did not go down correctly and rather than a ball of spaghetti I got a nice thick filament blob stuck to the nozzle
Keep on being you, ankermake.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 1, 2023

insta
Jan 28, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Never mind printing faster and better.

Nothing is faster and better than a Prusa for Sagebrush

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I looked into building a Voron cause hey it would be an interesting project to build your own printer...
but yeesh ~$1000 USD estimated cost on parts
like I get that it's expensive cause it uses actually good high end parts throughout (and you are buying piecemeal instead of bulk), but I can't afford that kind of expense right now

It legit looks like an interesting printer tho

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

I'm not entirely sure why you all are suddenly so excited, you could have done any of this stuff in Cura when they added tree supports over four years ago.

I mean, seven months ago three different people told me in no uncertain terms that was an impossible task, now it is possible. That's pretty exciting to me

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Yeah I love the idea, especially building something with a big build volume that can actually run fast enough to make use of it, but 1k+ cost of that much ABS and the hassle of printing it just has me waiting for a Bambu XL or whatever

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Acid Reflux posted:

IIRC, this is a new version improved by a third party affiliated with Cura, that's also relatively new to Cura itself.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

cause cura is dogshit garbage in every other respect and i wouldnt piss on it if it were on fire

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Bodanarko posted:

Yeah I love the idea, especially building something with a big build volume that can actually run fast enough to make use of it, but 1k+ cost of that much ABS and the hassle of printing it just has me waiting for a Bambu XL or whatever

Don't forget that Bambu just put out a technical bulletin on fixing sticky/jammed axises. It involves cleaning the rods, which are gunked up ... from printing ABS.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

IIRC, this is a new version improved by a third party affiliated with Cura, that's also relatively new to Cura itself.

Appears to be true

Special alpha: new (Xmas) tree supports for UltiMaker Cura; https://ultimaker.com/learn/cura-christmas-tree-support dated dec 22, 2022

Big difference being that most/many connection points with the model are true snap-off capable. The old style was more like a cradle

Edit: this one is an extreme example, but lol:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 1, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

JNCO supports

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oooh PrusaSlicer also does branching supports for the SLA mode now. Obviously it won't change the print time, but it looks like it might use a little less material and/or be easier to remove and/or have less model contact. And there's built-in export to .pwmx files for Photons Mono X. I wonder if it also does .pwmo?

goddamn egomaniac tho

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Bodanarko posted:

The Troodon2 is a close Voron knockoff for like $900, prebuilt. A friend has two and is very happy with them. I've considered one myself.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sagebrush posted:

Oooh PrusaSlicer also does branching supports for the SLA mode now. Obviously it won't change the print time, but it looks like it might use a little less material and/or be easier to remove and/or have less model contact. And there's built-in export to .pwmx files for Photons Mono X. I wonder if it also does .pwmo?

goddamn egomaniac tho

Wondering how this works re:pull forces. I suspect that you kind of still want the vertical supports everywhere so it doesn't yank itself off

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 2, 2023

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Deviant posted:

cause cura is dogshit garbage in every other respect and i wouldnt piss on it if it were on fire
LOL

Hadlock posted:

I mean, seven months ago three different people told me in no uncertain terms that was an impossible task, now it is possible. That's pretty exciting to me
It would have been possible forty-seven months ago, had someone other than the Prusa knob gobblers answered your question. I'm sorry I didn't see your post back then or I would have helped you out.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Acid Reflux posted:

LOL

It would have been possible forty-seven months ago, had someone other than the Prusa knob gobblers answered your question. I'm sorry I didn't see your post back then or I would have helped you out.

looking forward to your print of that thin rear end car shell on a 47 month old cura build, if you're really sure about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I uploaded my first gcode to my Prusa Mini+ tonight over ethernet, feels good man.

Just go to the IP of the machine in a browser. Even has a useful dashboard. Finally!