Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can agree there, outside of Yui and Takumi kinda I didn't really like any of the team, and the villains sort of all sucked. I also don't really like it personally when the extra Precure is a bad guy but was just brainwashed, it feels like there's no arc there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

MonsterEnvy posted:

For the most part I prefer larger villain general casts, rather than just a trio.

our villians were also pretty nothing throughout too to be honest

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

M.Matsuda posted:

our villians were also pretty nothing throughout too to be honest

Narcistoru was ok and Secretoru fangirling over Kokone’s mom in the previous episode was cute but otherwise yeah (we don’t really even get any backstory for the three aside from some vague allusions and the occasional brief flashback).

That kind of applies to the Cures themselves as well in a sense, Kokone was probably the most developed out of all of them but that’s not saying a whole lot. As the narrator most of Yone’s tenure involved stating the obvious and talking down to the audience in a way that Precure’s never really done before

I don’t fully hate any season per se but I’d have to say this is probably the the closest I’ve come to it since Happiness Charge. The next season’s looking good so far at least and I hope they go big for the 20th anniversary

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

20th anniversary video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hj_jT3abAkk

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 25, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just a heads up that the Delicious Party movie is available now and has been subbed by Serenae.

Haven’t actually watched it myself yet but I’ve been hearing good things

Edit: Just watched it, that wasn’t too bad. MemMem and PamPam’s human forms were cute, the narrator basically kept quiet for most of the movie, the villain was interesting, the Cures got to fight a bit outside of a Delicious Field, and it’s cool that the fairies got Cure forms of their own at the end.

The short at the end with Star, Grace, and Summer was kind of fun as well (and their respective teams got to appear along with them)

I forget though, was Cait Sith’s human form ever given a name?

Not entirely sure where to put this in the series timeline but it’s definitely after Secretoru takes over as the main general and the Cures get their finisher that involves Finale and KomeKome

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 27, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And another Precure series comes to a close, that was mediocre at best but there were some fun parts here and there.

For some reason Crunchyroll cut the baton pass again so here it is:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iGlOIrpwnbE

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've got two episodes left in Healin Good and this ending arc has been really good. I did not expect the "gently caress him!" from Rabirin when Nodoka was questioning whether to save Daruizen or not, but they followed it up really well in the following episode. Laying out that Daruizen didn't have a right to Nodoka's body, and Nodoka even asking "So how long will you use my body? What's going to happen to me if you do this? When you leave are you going to stop attacking the earth?" Actually thinking through the implications rather than the usual "I want to save everyone!" you get a lot of times from these shows.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rabirin is savage.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It was so great cause I was expecting a typical kids show "We have to get along and forgive" and they went nope, it's not okay. What they did wasn't okay and Rabirin just reinforced it and it's actually a really good message for a kids show to send

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Nodoka telling Daruizen to gently caress off was probably the highlight of the season for me (and what cemented the former as one of my top favorite Pinks)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've got two episodes left in Healin Good and this ending arc has been really good. I did not expect the "gently caress him!" from Rabirin when Nodoka was questioning whether to save Daruizen or not, but they followed it up really well in the following episode. Laying out that Daruizen didn't have a right to Nodoka's body, and Nodoka even asking "So how long will you use my body? What's going to happen to me if you do this? When you leave are you going to stop attacking the earth?" Actually thinking through the implications rather than the usual "I want to save everyone!" you get a lot of times from these shows.

And Daruizen's response to her asking if he planned to change if she helped him, being to attack in a rage cause he has no intention of ever changing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It was so great cause I was expecting a typical kids show "We have to get along and forgive" and they went nope, it's not okay. What they did wasn't okay and Rabirin just reinforced it and it's actually a really good message for a kids show to send

I also appreciate that when Daruizen decided to overdose on Mega Parts and went berserk, before the fight Rabirin reassured Nodoka "This isn't your fault!" Making it clear that she wasn't responsible for the self destructive path he took because he rejected her. Again, a really good message for a kids' show to have.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, we’ve got our first full trailer for Sailor Moon Cosmos (AKA the last part of Crystal):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qEescksRBDs

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Discotek just announced its releasing the Re:Cutie Honey OAV's and Nanoha Reflection

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/maskedzero/status/1619587170377007104?s=20

Mistaken baton pass

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

20th anniversary picture courtesy of the twins:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nagisa is a Giant

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/1620889777087340544

first male precure - cure wing, the orange one. also another new cure, cure butterfly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/1620889777087340544

first male precure - cure wing, the orange one. also another new cure, cure butterfly.

Wing and Butterfly aren’t new, they’ve been present in all the merchandising so far (though Toei appears to be keeping details about them under wraps currently). But still, this series giving us both a Blue leader and a core team male member is still pretty cool.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OAA_zR4KfrI

Cure Wing is voiced by Ayumu Murase while Butterfly will be played by Ayaka Nanase

Toei’s really pulling out all the stops this year, looking forward to seeing how it plays out

I’m also curious how much this show is going to lean into the anniversary aspect (Sora seems to be obsessed with heroes so the team meeting a few familiar faces as the series goes on wouldn’t be completely out of the realm of possibility)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 1, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Butterfly is also breaking trends. First straight up an adult Pretty Cure as she is 18.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Butterfly is also breaking trends. First straight up an adult Pretty Cure as she is 18.

Earth had the body of a 20+ year old but otherwise yeah, this is our first ACTUAL adult Cure to be part of a core team

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shes also like, a functional human adult in that she's in college. first precure to pay taxes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Earth had the body of a 20+ year old but otherwise yeah, this is our first ACTUAL adult Cure to be part of a core team

Earth was a few days old which is why I didn’t count her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Earth was a few days old which is why I didn’t count her.

Yeah, that’s why I only mentioned her physical appearance (she’s in the same boat as Shiny Luminous and Cure Ace where she has the appearance of an adult/teenager/child but literally speaking is technically a newborn)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

First blue leader, first male cure, first adult cure. Breaking all the trends this time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Now make one of them trans and at least one textually gay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mofurun is already trans, shes just also a stuffed animal

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Now make one of them trans and at least one textually gay

Chocolat and Macaron were already as close to the latter as you can get without saying it outright. Also Henri was gay and became a Cure temporally in Hugtto

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Endorph posted:

mofurun is already trans, shes just also a stuffed animal

new caveat - not a bear most of the time

Larryb posted:

Chocolat and Macaron were already as close to the latter as you can get without saying it outright. Also Henri was gay and became a Cure temporally in Hugtto

You do realize I said "textually", right? They never came out and confirmed those cases

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well now thats just exclusionary

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

new caveat - not a bear most of the time

You do realize I said "textually", right? They never came out and confirmed those cases

Henri was literally in a relationship with Emiru’s brother by the end of the series and I’m pretty sure the whole Yukari/Akira relationship was confirmed even if it didn’t happen in the show itself (I believe the latter even says something along the lines of “I love you” using the romantic form of the Japanese phrase).

I know the KiraKira staff confirmed that the pair were modeled after Neptune and Uranus respectively from Sailor Moon at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 2, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's certainly strongly implied to the point that should be taken as canon by anyone with media literacy, but they also did it in a way that provides plausble deniability. They still have a way to go.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

It's certainly strongly implied to the point that should be taken as canon by anyone with media literacy, but they also did it in a way that provides plausble deniability. They still have a way to go.

Yeah, I agree with you there. But it’s still the closest they’ve come so far aside from Mirai and Riko literally kissing in the Maho Girls manga

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Wing is apparently 12 years old

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sure is an age gap wonder if we going with separate sub teams for awhile

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Sure is an age gap wonder if we going with separate sub teams for awhile

They seem to be keeping a pretty tight lid on Wing and Butterfly so far so that might be the case (though some pieces of merchandise indicate the former will be joining Sky and Prism before the latter)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Due to someone hacking the toys we now have civilian names for Wing and Butterfly:

Wing: Akito Takami

Butterfly: Ageha Amai

Supposedly these were leaked from a recent toy showcase (the same one where we learned Wing was a boy) but I haven’t been able to find anything to back it up yet

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 2, 2023

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

delicious party was p fun!! :toot:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1621169313624518658?t=8X61R-6--H7MVgI1NCpnZQ&s=19

Much like last season it looks like Sky’s on her own for the first three episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As expected, Hirogaru Sky will indeed be coming to Crunchyroll:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/02/02-1/soaring-sky-pretty-cure-anime-joins-the-crunchyroll-simulcast-lineup

Unless you live in Europe in which case you’re SOL once again, I still have no idea why that is

Hell, France has three seasons available that the rest of us don’t (Max Heart, Splash Star, and Maho Girls)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 2, 2023