Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

stev posted:

I wish this thing actually differentiated between tracks - or at least required a different button for each track. It's almost more confusing hitting the same button between constantly changing tracks.

Or just have two tracks since you never seem to need to push more than two buttons at once anyway.

The track thing was a lot clearer in previous titles when the tracks each lined up to a character in your party- each character would use notes on their track to attack enemies and trigger skills.

That's probably still the case in the Battle Stages for the new game but I'm not certain- it doesn't feel like it for some things, but I've only played so far long enough to open up the different tracks and characters and not paid too much attention to the RPG systems yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

stev posted:

I wish this thing actually differentiated between tracks - or at least required a different button for each track. It's almost more confusing hitting the same button between constantly changing tracks.

Or just have two tracks since you never seem to need to push more than two buttons at once anyway.

there are definitely charts that make you press four buttons

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It is kind of weird to use buttons instead of a touch screen but I'mma be real with you I despised using the touchscreen for the long wavy bars in field stages so I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Now to find out which two buttons are the easiest to press simultaniously...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

XIII-2 is a really good game, but man I wish it was harder or something because it just never really felt like you got to engage with the systems all that much

Been ages since I played it though tbf

If you got the PC version, somebody released a Cheat Engine thing years ago now which ups enemy HP and Attack/Magic. Has different settings for x2, 3x, etc..
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IFE_mz_8YspJ1mDGHYUVWi_Eprr42GjK/view?usp=share_link

XIII-2 is a painfully easy game but I enjoyed this when I played XIII-2 with it.

Only problem is it breaks Caius' fights. I dunno why. I tested it out and it's not even increasing his HP that does it, it's increasing Atk/Mag. My guess is it has to do with how his fights have a unique end due to Heart of Chaos. Anyway, I just got around this by beating him with the increased difficulty, then I'd go back and turn it off, fight him normally and win, and then turn it back on after the fight and cutscene.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 2, 2023

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are summons in the demo random drops. i got an alexander with a rainbow skill (magic +15%)

btw my miku fightstick works great

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

In FFXIII-2 chat, I love how they handled the ending: I knew that Serah dies and everything gets hosed, but before playing through it myself I didn't realize just how hard the game sets you up to think everything is fine before brutally yanking the rug out from under you. Fantastic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Super No Vacancy posted:

are summons in the demo random drops. i got an alexander with a rainbow skill (magic +15%)

btw my miku fightstick works great

I got a Shiva without anything in particular so yeah, I guess. Unless you got more after the tutorial one?

I assume they'd have it on their marketing if so, but do we know whether the full game will have random maps like the 3DS one, or something similar? I liked those as a way to get out of my comfort zone into songs I didn't do as often.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Hellioning posted:

Help I spent 100 dollars on a stupid rhythm game aaaaaaaaaaaa.
Solidarity! I’m salivating for more songs though and we are gonna get ALL the songs

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

In FFXIII-2 chat, I love how they handled the ending: I knew that Serah dies and everything gets hosed, but before playing through it myself I didn't realize just how hard the game sets you up to think everything is fine before brutally yanking the rug out from under you. Fantastic.

I love that if you buy the Lightning-centric DLC for the game, the one that sets up Lightning Returns, it straight up spoils the ending of XIII-2 for you, as in it plays the entire "Serah dies" cutscene as a part of its intro and is unlocked to be playable right after you leave New Bodum at the loving START of the game. Good job, Square.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The major problems I found with XIII-2 are that all of its non-canon endings are FAR more interesting concepts than its canon ones, especially the "Time Cop Snow" one near the end of the game. I would like to see the game that ending sets up infinitely more than whatever the hell Lightning Returns was trying to do, or whatever the hell XIII-2 itself was trying to do as well. Also Sazh's DLC sucked rear end because it was literally just Sazh's storyline from the original XIII compressed into 2 hours, and then his role in Lightning Returns is just his storyline from XIII again a third time, only compressed into 20 minutes.

They didn't have a clue how to write Sazh that wasn't "Someone help me find and/or cure my son of his Plotitis, please." They could have at least used XIII-2's time travel excuse to pull a Hope and age up Dajh and give him a "Someone help me find my dad and/or cure HIM of his Plotitis instead" plot just to change things up. But no...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh that Hatsune Miku controller is basically designed for Theatrhythm huh... lol I might need to get one

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've been able to try the demo on both PS5 and Switch and while I was initially waffling on which one to get I think I'm gonna go with it on Playstation.

I mostly tried playing on Ultimate (and some Supreme tracks when it lets you) and I found that after a certain point I would default to using the shoulder buttons to hit notes so my thumbs would be free for slides. It was a little awkward to get used to but I did get used to it. I found the game uncomfortable to play like this on Switch handheld, but it felt perfect playing docked with a Pro controller. But I figure if I'm gonna be playing at home anyway, I'd rather pick it up on PSN. Only downside is I think the Pro controller slightly edges out the PS5 controller because of the stick placement, but that's personal preference and they're both great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Final Fantasy music game is really good and addictive. Played through all of the songs on the demo, and can't wait for the full version. The full game should tie me over until Final Fantasy XVI.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hellioning posted:

It is kind of weird to use buttons instead of a touch screen but I'mma be real with you I despised using the touchscreen for the long wavy bars in field stages so I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Now to find out which two buttons are the easiest to press simultaniously...

Are you also someone who didn't realize you could use buttons and stick and Curtain Call until like, a year after its release?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The arcade version of the rhythm game just had two orbs, it worked really well

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Which one do you ponder?! Madness!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The arcade version of the rhythm game just had two orbs, it worked really well

it's actually the best way to play the game because the orbs give way more physical feedback than controller buttons or a touch screen, it helps you feel the rhythm better.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

OneMoreTime posted:

Are you also someone who didn't realize you could use buttons and stick and Curtain Call until like, a year after its release?

Yes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

This is what makes the scene where he confronts President Shinra so good because Shrina's like "Okay... and then what?" and Barret has no answer for him because he has not, in fact, given a single thought to what building a better post-Shinra world would entail or even look like. His thoughts begin and end with violence, nothing else. So to have that moment where he sees that in himself and starts the process of considering better things is such a great addition to the story.

But President Shinra is full of poo poo and that's a dumb point he's making. Shinra Company is - quite literally - killing the planet (and doing a bunch of pointless atrocities in the process). Even if Barrett/Avalanche had zero idea of how to structure society in a post-mako world, it would still be better. This isn't really an ideological conflict with an unclear answer - using mako for energy should be violently opposed because it will inevitably lead to a horrible outcome. Barrett's words, that sound like some sort of dogmatic exaggeration, are literally just true in the context of the game's world.

I think the game itself is basically agreeing with what you're saying here, but I don't think it's a good argument at all.

edit: Actually, I think you could even argue that Barrett doesn't really have it in him to directly kill. When it comes time to confront President Shinra, he saves his life and then obviously hesitates to kill him. I'm not even sure if he would have shot him before Shinra pulled the trigger (if Sephiroth hadn't shown up).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 2, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
barret's exclusion from AVALANCHE in ff7r being some kind of indictment doesn't really hold up either, since it's extremely strongly implied that the main AVALANCHE force is actually on rufus's payroll

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

barret's exclusion from AVALANCHE in ff7r being some kind of indictment doesn't really hold up either, since it's extremely strongly implied that the main AVALANCHE force is actually on rufus's payroll

And his cell being the 'extremists' as described in Yuffie's story is a LOT to buy, given how much Jessie tries to avoid collateral damage while the one time the 'main' AVALANCHE turned up in the main game was to recklessly shoot up the joint.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

But President Shinra is full of poo poo and that's a dumb point he's making. Shinra Company is - quite literally - killing the planet (and doing a bunch of pointless atrocities in the process). Even if Barrett/Avalanche had zero idea of how to structure society in a post-mako world, it would still be better. This isn't really an ideological conflict with an unclear answer - using mako for energy should be violently opposed because it will inevitably lead to a horrible outcome. Barrett's words, that sound like some sort of dogmatic exaggeration, are literally just true in the context of the game's world.

I think the game itself is basically agreeing with what you're saying here, but I don't think it's a good argument at all.

edit: Actually, I think you could even argue that Barrett doesn't really have it in him to directly kill. When it comes time to confront President Shinra, he saves his life and then obviously hesitates to kill him. I'm not even sure if he would have shot him before Shinra pulled the trigger (if Sephiroth hadn't shown up).

Also for what it's worth, the way President Shinra presents the argument, he's pressing Barret on what his idea of a post-Shinra Inc. world would look like, not just a post-mako world. Which intentionally muddies the issue and draws Barret into a "but you LIVE in a society..." argument with him, that, again Barret rightly or wrongly has no real answer for other than "gently caress off."

Oxxidation posted:

That's one of the things I'm interested in seeing develop because 7R appears to be treating Before Crisis as canon to its universe, and in that game Rufus did in fact use AVALANCHE to try and put a hit out on his father while he was in exile from Midgar. It's even referenced the first time you see President Shinra and Heidegger in Remake. So what does Rufus do now with a group that's on his take and is now a liability because he's gotten what he wants already basically without their help? Is he going to purge the remaining non-Seventh Heaven AVALANCHE cells, or keep them around for some bread and circuses when needed? Or maybe directly pit them against the party? Because it seemed like there was going to be a clash coming at some point between Barret's AVALANCHE and AVALANCHE HQ once we got out of Midgar.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I loved the Theatrhythm demo but I'm enormously disappointed that the Pixel Remaster music isn't in the game or slated as future DLC. I vastly prefer those fancy orchestral versions over the 8 bit music. At the very least it would be nice to have both available.

I tried "Blinded by the Light" on Supreme and I don't see how it's humanly possible. You have to mash notes so fast it looks like the torture endurance mini-game from Metal Gear Solid. I hurt the poo poo out of my hands trying.

I also have a minor gripe that they included 2 versions of Y'shtola but no Lyse. I'll still join the $100 club though. I hadn't played the series before and thought it was strictly FF. I'm very excited to have Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana tracks too.

edit: I was surprised how generous the demo is. 30 tracks with 3-4 difficulty modes and 3 input modes each.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 2, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

The game has some real weird design decisions, but when it works it is brilliant. Addiyionally, FFXIII-2 is a fantastic game that refines everything FFXIII got right and fixes everything it got wrong.

Agreed with this. How is Lightning returns?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I loved the Theatrhythm demo but I'm enormously disappointed that the Pixel Remaster music isn't in the game or slated as future DLC. I vastly prefer those fancy orchestral versions over the 8 bit music. At the very least it would be nice to have both available.

I tried "Blinded by the Light" on Supreme and I don't see how it's humanly possible. You have to mash notes so fast it looks like the torture endurance mini-game from Metal Gear Solid. I hurt the poo poo out of my hands trying.

I also have a minor gripe that they included 2 versions of Y'shtola but no Lyse. I'll still join the $100 club though. I hadn't played the series before and thought it was strictly FF. I'm very excited to have Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana tracks too.

edit: I was surprised how generous the demo is. 30 tracks with 3-4 difficulty modes and 3 input modes each.

I would be surprised if the full game didn't have Lyse and at least 1 more Y'shtola

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

BlazetheInferno posted:

Alright, so, I've been in a mood to play some old FF games lately after having played so much FF14 over the last year.

I have played 10 and 7 before, and just in the last week blasted through FF1.

Any suggestions on where I should go next? Should I go from 1 to 2, or skip ahead, etc?

If you wish to play FF games that FFXIV most strongly draws from, then I would recommend III, IV, and XII.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i’m not expecting more characters than the cast from all star carnival tbh, they revealed all the songs up front except the couple of dlc packs and didn’t suggest there were any new characters or that any would be dlc. maybe if it sells like crazy but

with respect to the pixel remaster music its relevant that this isnt something they made from scratch it is basically the souped up home version of an arcade game so they are adding stuff that is new but not changing the existing stuff

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 2, 2023

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ok, FFXV completed. Base game, nothing else. And for 80% of my time, I thought the game was pretty good. And then I finished chapter 8. And now I get why so many people disliked it. Goes offon the rails, heh.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

GoutPatrol posted:

Ok, FFXV completed. Base game, nothing else. And for 80% of my time, I thought the game was pretty good. And then I finished chapter 8. And now I get why so many people disliked it. Goes offon the rails, heh.

And just think: It used to be even worse.

Did you know that cutscene where what's-his-name the rival gets killed wasn't in the original release? You just find him dead holding a sword out of nowhere and never find out what happened.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still say that chapter 13 is way funnier now, when the 'handicap' weapon they give you to try to make you do stealth is actually the strongest weapon in the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXV's chapter 8 and onwards reminds me a lot of Type-0 final chapter. Mainly how its delivered. Suddenly everything goes to poo poo real fast and a bunch of stuff happens completely off screen.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FF XIII is good.

I do recall a couple situations where my Sentinel would taunt which would cause the enemy to drop aoes on the group which was rage-inducing and I wished I could make Snow stand on the other side of the arena so he would stop CLEAVING THE GROUP YOU IDIOT NOW VANILLE IS DEAD WHAT THE gently caress

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RPGs that have aoe attacks dependent on character position but no way to influence said position have never been a good idea and yet they keep doing them!!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I love that if you buy the Lightning-centric DLC for the game, the one that sets up Lightning Returns, it straight up spoils the ending of XIII-2 for you, as in it plays the entire "Serah dies" cutscene as a part of its intro and is unlocked to be playable right after you leave New Bodum at the loving START of the game. Good job, Square.

lmao that's hosed up

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

according to reports dev on this game started back in like march 2021 shortly after Melody of Memory's PC port shipped so you gotta keep in mind the Pixel Remasters did not exist at the time. this is relatedly, almost certainly the reason why there are no tracks from Endwalker.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Put the Hyadain remixes into Theaterhythm.

Aug 2, 2000

I was trying to find the jukebox music from FFVIIR digitally. There's this unofficial youtube playlist. Spotify has the VIIR soundtrack but it doesn't include the jukebox music. Some of the tracks are from an older jazz album but some of them are unique to VIIR.

There's a release of the soundtrack on 8 physical CDs that includes the tracks, but for some reason Square made the digital soundtrack an abridged selection that doesn't have the jukebox music. Bizarre. Who the even uses CDs in 2022?

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 2, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Amppelix posted:

RPGs that have aoe attacks dependent on character position but no way to influence said position have never been a good idea and yet they keep doing them!!

No THIS time for sure my randomized aoe system will work and revolutionize the gaming industry! You’ll all see!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I was trying to find the jukebox music from FFVIIR digitally. There's this unofficial youtube playlist. Spotify has the VIIR soundtrack but it doesn't include the jukebox music. Some of the tracks are from an older jazz album but some of them are unique to VIIR.

There's a release of the soundtrack on 8 physical CDs that includes the tracks, but for some reason Square made the digital soundtrack an abridged selection that doesn't have the jukebox music. Bizarre. Who the even uses CDs in 2022?

Does the official Square Enix Music channel not have those songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 2, 2000

Alxprit posted:

Does the official Square Enix Music channel not have those songs?
I could not find them, no. The preview page for the physical CDs lets you play all discs in browser except Disc 8, the jukebox tracks. It's like they were isolating them on CD on purpose to make people buy the set. I would just buy them if they were available digitally.