Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

wokow6 posted:

I think those people are lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Happy Landfill posted:

I hope the low DVD sales doesn't affect the next seasons. There is SO MUCH from this manga that needs to be animated

not sure how much the NA audience plays into that vs. JP 'cause the west has seemed to latch onto it way, way harder+less critically

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I heard elsewhere that physical media sales hasn't been the end-all-be-all anymore, so low Blu-Ray sales may not be worth worrying about vs tankobons, streaming, and overseas profits in general.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

I heard elsewhere that physical media sales hasn't been the end-all-be-all anymore, so low Blu-Ray sales may not be worth worrying about vs tankobons, streaming, and overseas profits in general.

well iirc this entire discussion stems from sales figures of CSM selling 1/10th in Blu-Ray compared to the first season of Bocchi the Rock

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well, how was the CSM anime supposed to compete with Bocchi?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/ann_lynzee/status/1620582090311106560?s=46&t=m11fIcDtdvQYO-ANpMtqCQ

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

well iirc this entire discussion stems from sales figures of CSM selling 1/10th in Blu-Ray compared to the first season of Bocchi the Rock

Bocchi sold crazy high compared to expectations. For an anecdote, the creator of the manga had to sell her doujins in a garage during a comic market after the anime came out, because otherwise the line would overwhelm the rest of the hall.

That said, even the hits like it and LycoReco are far below what shows in their position would have made ten years ago. For example, Love Live's second season sold over 60,000 discs on average. (Uma Musume season 2 is, of course, a crazy exception to the trend, selling on par with previous record holder Gundam Unicorn. Even with the gacha ticket stuff, I don't have an explanation for that one.)

Chainsaw Man's getting disappointing but not disastrous numbers (although unverified sources suggest that non-Oricon sales have pushed it up from "kinda bad" to "okay, about average), but Mappa seems to have seen this coming, opening up ticket sales for their Chainsaw Man events to non-blu-ray purchase audiences well in advance of the DVD release. What's more, other indicators are very positive.

There's a lot of merch, and it seems to be selling (local places can't keep most of it in stock, for whatever that's worth), streaming numbers are excellent, and the show's last couple episodes had solid-for-midnight ratings and top ten plus threes, indicating millions of people were tuning in every week.

Even sticking to Japanese metrics, it seems to have been doing alright. Just didn't catch on as well with the subset of the audience that still buys disks.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they should have made makima 16 and have her make more uguuuuuu~ noises

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
*Gets an anime that draws from Western cinema adapted from a mangaka who loves Western cinema so much that he's based multiple characters in multiple stories on Western cinema*

Otaku connoisseur:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People should care less about this sort of thing.

Both the people trolling the director or whatever and the people going "Can't believe those goddamn Japanese Otaku......."

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
in my feelings, there is a specific recipe of maturity and childishness and shock in both visuals and writing that this manga gives that i crave above all else, and the anime just didnt activate that sector of my brain the way that reading (and even rereading) the manga does.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

they should have made makima 16 and have her make more uguuuuuu~ noises

The rare time where making the girl younger actually makes the relationship between her and the protagonist more acceptable.

You don't need to explain to me that Makima grooming Denji and being a shithead is the point, don't worry.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Both the people trolling the director or whatever and the people going "Can't believe those goddamn Japanese Otaku......."

I care insomuch as I don't want a OPM S1->S2 downgrade in animation. Though I don't care THAT much either, because the CSM anime is so extra even in small scenes, it could afford to look shittier without bringing down any of the actual quality.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
are anime blurays still like 80 bucks for half a season or whatever. what kind of sucker is buying blurays, let alone those

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’ll disagree with the thread and say I did not like the anime. It was way too drab, the cg was not a good look at all, the pacing was too fast, the , I dunno, cinematography? was wonky like the “timing” was off for lack of a better word. And they ruined the ball kicking contest which is the whole emotional catharsis of the arc which is unforgivable. The only part I thought was really well done was the Makima squish sequence which was just divine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Comic has fast pacing tbh.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The anime was incredible and elevated basically all the content it covered with only a few small exceptions like Curse, especially the dub

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 3, 2023

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I liked the anime alright, but the manga is the definitive version. I find this is usually the case though, so no great slight on the adaptation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yup. Manga just be better.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

After watching the anime and diving head first into the manga, yeah the manga is probably better.

But the moment the blu-ray becomes available stateside it will be added to my blu-ray collection. It will sit side by side with Bocchi the Rock as best anime seasons of 2022 and the two will deserve it.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://twitter.com/Lightning446/status/1621177271632683009?s=20

tbh I side with the Japanese/CN fans. It was definitely a high-quality anime but I don't think it conveyed Fujimoto's voice accurately.

lol at the one jp comment complaining about how Aki shouldn't be spending his entire morning making coffee though

yum fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 3, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why would I want the anime to be exactly like the manga

I've already read the manga

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Comic has fast pacing tbh.

People say this but I don’t really agree. What I think it is is that it’s efficient. There are no chapters where the author is obviously stalling for time by having the Villain agonizingly slowly reveal that this isn’t even his final form, or every single character gets their own dedicated panel showing them saying “H-He’s Fast!”after every single move. There’s tons of slow downtime in the manga but we always learn more about the characters through it rather than it just being “hijinks”.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If anything comes from this, I don’t think we’ll get a chainsaw man movie

But also who knows as long as we get more i don’t care

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 3, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man I feel bad for everyone who makes anime

Work your fingers to the bone making this stuff, animators paid below poverty wages, fans expect tv episodes to have the animation quality of movies from the 90’s, production calendar booked out 3-4 years in advance

And then you get boycotted because the fans didn’t like the director’s directing being 10% different from the original

Lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it's because the director said he didn't want to make anime and some fans had beef.

Regardless. Wow. I cannot believe some people aren't fans of the anime of a popular shonen manga. Crazy stuff right here.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The anime was exceptional and anyone who didn't like the scene of Aki making coffee doesn't understand the manga tbh. It's something that would fit in perfectly and showed the anime team really got the characters and vibe of the whole piece. It's honestly one of my favorite adaptations I've seen.

The manga's pace also works because it's a manga, you control how fast you turn the page. So the first time I caught up on it it was insanely breathless because I couldn't turn that page fast enough. Now that I'm caught up and waiting for new chapters, it suddenly doesn't feel as stupid fast. Though I think slowing down the pace for the anime worked for it's benefit in general.

If there are any mistakes made, it's that in the bar scene Denji shakes his head and then nods it when Makima and Himeno ask him, should've just had a still shot, and as aforementioned, Makima didn't look scary enough after being shot.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 3, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The folks who are harassing the director and making petitions to remake the anime and calling for boycotts are absolute shitheads. I don't think anyone's angry at the people who are, "Eh, I like the manga better."

Whether you like the anime or not, it's real hard to argue that it wasn't made with sincerity and love for both the source material and the craft. The people involved very evidently put a lot of faith and effort into the project and they really don't deserve to be poo poo on for it. There was so, so much in the anime that they didn't need to do, but did. Even when it doesn't succeed, there was only failure because they tried in the first place. And that's what pushes the medium forward. There was a poo poo-ton of risk in this project and I respect the hell out of it even if I don't always agree with it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

anime fans, ftl

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

symbolic posted:

anime fans, ftl

I read the manga when part 1 ended but before the anime came out. anime owned

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I am shocked and horrified that the people who didn't like a thing didn't buy it. Some of them may have even left a negative review of said product, or criticized its creators.

Mortifying stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When a guy wants revenge, he shouldn’t make coffee

He should be grinding his teeth and hammering his fist on the table 24/7

Even a decade after his trauma

Pacing in circles on his peg leg, muttering Dicky Moe over and over again

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Manga readers salty Trigger passed.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The funny thing about this dumb discourse, besides the fact that it doesn't matter in the slightest in regards to popularity/success of the product, is that it's not even really accurate. Those sales figures are given by Oricon, which track public figures usually through the most common distributors. Since Chainsawman was completely funded by MAPPA instead of the usual production committee, they had more control over the distribution, and in particular a lot of sales came directly through MAPPA instead of through cdJapan, which Oricon tracks the later and not the former.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

The funny thing about this dumb discourse, besides the fact that it doesn't matter in the slightest in regards to popularity/success of the product, is that it's not even really accurate. Those sales figures are given by Oricon, which track public figures usually through the most common distributors. Since Chainsawman was completely funded by MAPPA instead of the usual production committee, they had more control over the distribution, and in particular a lot of sales came directly through MAPPA instead of through cdJapan, which Oricon tracks the later and not the former.

Yeah, the sources I've seen (although I can't vouch for accuracy) claim that the real number is something closer to 5K. Nothing impressive, but totally fine.

galagazombie posted:

People say this but I don’t really agree. What I think it is is that it’s efficient. There are no chapters where the author is obviously stalling for time by having the Villain agonizingly slowly reveal that this isn’t even his final form, or every single character gets their own dedicated panel showing them saying “H-He’s Fast!”after every single move. There’s tons of slow downtime in the manga but we always learn more about the characters through it rather than it just being “hijinks”.

Quick and efficient aren't mutually exclusive.

You're actually the first person I've seen complain about the anime being too fast paced. As I've said before, to people complaining about it being too slow, it went with a fairly standard 3 chapters an episode baseline. Enough time to get attached, not so long as to lose the "Wait, what? Holy poo poo, this is happening now?" that kicks in with chapters like Samurai Sword's first appearance.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My apologies for bringing it up in the first place

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the slow scenes are incredible in the anime and they should have just cut all the fights to add more anime only slow scenes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My fav chapter is the gang visiting Aki's family's grave, so yeah i'd be down for that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SyntheticPolygon posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Steve Yun posted:

Man I feel bad for everyone who makes anime

Work your fingers to the bone making this stuff, animators paid below poverty wages, fans expect tv episodes to have the animation quality of movies from the 90’s, production calendar booked out 3-4 years in advance

And then you get boycotted because the fans didn’t like the director’s directing being 10% different from the original

Lol

People who talk about media, and I'm generalizing here, collectively a giant gaping maw filled with gnashing teeth that constantly demands more and more, convinced they know exactly what they want but then frequently violently dissatisfied when they get exactly what they asked for

so I'd like to think any creator who gets into doing stuff professionally comes to terms with that before they let it do significant mental damage to them

I can understand people having whatever issues they might with the anime adaptation, but the ones who are acting like it's Promised Neverland Season 2 level probably are in need of a contract with the Reality Devil