Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee getting away with anything should be front page news because it never happens (I didn’t watch the game but it sounds like it was super poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Purdue looks completely unprepared for this game

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Poque posted:

Purdue looks completely unprepared for this game

My fault I took them pulse 1.5

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
good lord what was going on in knoxville today?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mike_V posted:

Two good defenses, but mostly dogshit shooting. e: and honestly not like both teams were throwing up hopeless bricks, just tiny rims today.

That was 100% a foul but I just don't feel like complaining about that when they shot that bad.

ee:
https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/1621992936597757952

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 4, 2023

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

5 of 48 from 3 combined lol

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee will definitely lose to Bama, Mizzou, and UK if this horrible shooting continues. I’m hoping they can break out of the slump

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

elentar posted:

looks like NC State will just about avoid a humiliating, season-wrecking loss at home against Georgia Tech

UVA is going to whip State so bad on Tuesday but that one won't matter in the least

I know the lot of the NC State fan is to believe the sky is falling at all times, but I’m choosing to be glad that GT decided they were going to force Burns and Ross to beat them and they went ahead and did so. One of the Gott-led teams would have 100% lost this one and gone into full-on meltdown for another two or three games after.

Here’s hoping Morsell wants to run roughshod over UVA.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Vitale is just speaking in tongues at this point.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Clemson continuing to deflate but they still have games against Florida State, Louisville, and Notre Dame so still in with a shot at at least a first-place tie despite being like the 8th-best team in the conference.

Freaquency posted:

I don't think there was a lot of bad blood there, just Morsell really needed the offseason after his freshman year to develop in the UVA system and the pandemic screwed that up and by that time Beekman zoomed past him for playing time and it didn't look like he was gonna get that back (though probably he'd have had a shot if he stuck around last year, they really needed another shooter and perimeter defender).

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Lot of time wasted for a 2pt shot by Purdue there

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Death by a billion turnovers. IU's defense is solid. Trayce is a beast.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

rough physical game in starkville so far. mizzou drops a couple threes and they could pull away

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Can't be too upset about the Purdue loss considering how awful they played in the first half.

Also, that Tennessee-Auburn game was completely unwatchable.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

feast or famine with this fuckin mizzou team.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
now that the riffraff is out of the way, the evening's actually important rivalry game (Gonzaga @ St. Mary's) can begin

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
man gently caress duke

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
ok I need someone to explain this insanity to me

This is what the announcers have told us happened in Texas A&M/Georgia when a Georgia drive resulted in a contested block or charge foul with a made basket, where one official called block and one called charge:

quote:

They are calling a double foul. This means neither official is backing down, the basket won't count, both players get a personal foul, and possession goes to Georgia because of the possession arrow

So my question is: what the gently caress

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

it is very funny hearing the coach of the University of North Carolina saying this

not just complaining about not getting enough foul calls, but stating up front that the foul calls are what is keeping his mediocre team afloat and without them they have no game plan to win

https://twitter.com/JordanCrammer/status/1622054123792220160?s=20&t=hgij4LDS2oT-sQBHQ1jCJA

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

fast cars loose anus posted:

ok I need someone to explain this insanity to me

This is what the announcers have told us happened in Texas A&M/Georgia when a Georgia drive resulted in a contested block or charge foul with a made basket, where one official called block and one called charge:

So my question is: what the gently caress

Ah, the ol Blarge. Fun fun.

We might get an SEC memo tomorrow, I’m pretty sure on a double personal foul that if the basket is made you count it and just resume play inbounding the ball as normal after a made basket.

Interesting rule difference, I think at one point in NCAAW basketball rather than this being a double foul, the official who had the call in their primary area got the final say. Not sure if that’s still the case.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

chaoslord posted:

We might get an SEC memo tomorrow, I’m pretty sure on a double personal foul that if the basket is made you count it and just resume play inbounding the ball as normal after a made basket.

Interesting rule difference, I think at one point in NCAAW basketball rather than this being a double foul, the official who had the call in their primary area got the final say. Not sure if that’s still the case.

My confusion really stems from the fact that it was on a charge/block play. Conceptually I can understand that two players can foul each other at the same time but this seems like a situation that, by definition, has to be one or the other

I dunno why one official doesn't have final say on this either, yeah. Seems like that should be worked out.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Back when I kept high school scorebooks, a double foul went back to the team who was possessing it at the time. No jump, because I was going to flip the arrow and official told me it wasn't a jump. I never had a made basket situation out of a double foul, though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ohio State is Bad. Can't shoot, can't defend in the paint, can't rebound, can't hang on to the ball. Yet Michigan is only 5 points ahead at the half because they refuse to stop tripping over themselves. Not that I'm praising Michigan because they're not actually good. Just that they should be blowing out the Buckeyes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Ohio State is Bad. Can't shoot, can't defend in the paint, can't rebound, can't hang on to the ball. Yet Michigan is only 5 points ahead at the half because they refuse to stop tripping over themselves. Not that I'm praising Michigan because they're not actually good. Just that they should be blowing out the Buckeyes.

Michigan is also very Bad this year - seems like in this game they should be up ~10, but an assistant got Ted up for calling something "bullshit" and Thornton is suddenly Good after about a month of being Not for the five point difference.

But we'll see in the second!

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's insane how much OSU's season went in the tank, they were looking so good. Can we officially give back the win the refs stole from Rutgers now?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Arizona winning out is pretty unlikely just because Basketball but I'm hoping simply for a Good Loss.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

i remember there being at least a little more balance between Saturday and Sunday schedules or at least Sundays not being pretty dogshit, when did that shift? Was it to avoid competing with NFL schedules? I could understand if it was to make travel easier (like how the Ivy does Fri/Sat turnarounds) but I'm pretty certain most of these schools do not care about their athlete's class schedules anywhere near that much.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There are always more games on Saturday. I really don’t remember too many Sunday games until the tournaments start. Then again, the big 12 runs on a consistent schedule of games on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. So I really never watch games on Sunday.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's insane how much OSU's season went in the tank, they were looking so good. Can we officially give back the win the refs stole from Rutgers now?

No we need it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

That game is going to annoy me for years.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mcmagic posted:

That game is going to annoy me for years.

https://twitter.com/bigtengeek/status/699748066132369408

https://twitter.com/ByAZuniga/status/699750725409247232

I've been pissed at ESPN for seven years for completely ruining this game. Michigan lost, but I didn't even care because I was so pissed at ESPN for ruining the game by broadcasting from a floor seat, ref-rear end camera angle.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
In November 2017 when Wisconsin's back court ran their knees into each other during practice, I knew we were going to lose a bunch but I could just watch Ethan Happ work in the post. He was doing cool poo poo to get buckets in a losing effort, but at least watching him be a living reference to 1960's post moves was fun enough. Now, I think we're going to lose and nobody's remotely entertaining enough to be worth the cost of admission.

Compounding matters, the Kohl Center production is tiring. Going from MAKE SOME NOOIIZE dubstub at the end of timeouts to get hyped for watching crisp chest passing around the 3 point line for the entirety of the shot clock just doesn't line up. We need an in-arena acoustic folk band, not a DJ.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Freaquency posted:

I know the lot of the NC State fan is to believe the sky is falling at all times, but I’m choosing to be glad that GT decided they were going to force Burns and Ross to beat them and they went ahead and did so. One of the Gott-led teams would have 100% lost this one and gone into full-on meltdown for another two or three games after.

Hey I'm just glad State gets to be the one ranked team from North Carolina for a change (UNC not receiving votes is icing on the cake) .

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Always enjoyable to watch Duke get blasted

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Mons Hubris posted:

Hey I'm just glad State gets to be the one ranked team from North Carolina for a change (UNC not receiving votes is icing on the cake) .

It is pretty sweet. I really like watching this team play, the level of camaraderie and good vibes out there is infectious. The FSU and GT games were the sort that a Gott team would have 100% lost to put them squarely on the bubble, but this team never seems to let things spiral. I feel extremely confident in predicting a win for UVA tomorrow since it always seems like their awful slow-it-down style of play gives State fits, but it seems like they have a 1-in-10 chance at an upset instead of like a 1-in-100 shot most years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Normally I’d say Texas losing is good, but that meant Kansas won, so I’m torn. I hate looking at the schedules because it’s shaping up for another KU big 12 win. Texas has a brutal 4 game stretch at the end while KU gets to play two of the worst teams in the conference.

Probably comes down to the last game of the year with Kansas at Texas. I’ve already counted out ISU because they will definitely lose 1-2 more games to teams they should’ve beat.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Everyone in the Big 12 has shell shock right now. It's just a brutal league.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm really bummed about Mawot Mag's ACL injury. He was a vastly improved and underrated player really coming into his own this year and gets hurt.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

kiimo posted:

Everyone in the Big 12 has shell shock right now. It's just a brutal league.

honestly, enjoy it before the expansion changes things, the Big 12 has generally been head and shoulders above the other leagues (Big Ten occasionally intervening) in recent years and while I don’t think it’ll be as disastrous as the ACC expansion has been, the product’s gonna get diluted and eventually you just get used to the breakdown of all but the biggest rivalries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

elentar posted:

honestly, enjoy it before the expansion changes things, the Big 12 has generally been head and shoulders above the other leagues (Big Ten occasionally intervening) in recent years and while I don’t think it’ll be as disastrous as the ACC expansion has been, the product’s gonna get diluted and eventually you just get used to the breakdown of all but the biggest rivalries.

Yea, there is some concern that the Big 12 will be too tough, and that will eventually cause a whole lot of teams to fall apart, but at least we're getting rid of one good team, and not just replacing two bad teams with 4 good teams. BYU and UCF are both average teams, so at least they're not adding to the competition level.