Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Drakkel posted:

It's wild how little some characters know about what each other have done.

Like how every time Buggy's name comes up half the Straw Hats have no idea who he is. Or like, Robin not mentioning that Coby was kidnapped by Blackbeard cause at best she might recognize him as one of the random marines that was standing behind Garp at Water 7.
Luffy doesnt want to hear what's in the news even if he knows the people involved. Robin's offered to read stuff to him recently and he said no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No Wave posted:

Luffy doesnt want to hear what's in the news even if he knows the people involved. Robin's offered to read stuff to him recently and he said no.

Yeah, also we just had another "oh no! one of our friends is in danger!" moment and they decided to let them follow their own path. And Coby is both much stronger than Vivi while also having a considerably stronger group backing him up.

I do think Robin knows Coby tho, I am pretty sure she was eavesdropping during the conversation Luffy had with them and in general seems a more perceptive presence on the crew to later be like "oh who is this random marine Luffy is friends with now?"

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
we're gonna reach laugh tale and robin's gonna piece together the true history off-panel then ask luffy if hes interested and luffy will say no

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

There will be a climactic showdown between Luffy and Blackbeard but Luffy will only remember him as the guy with bad opinions about pie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Violen posted:

we're gonna reach laugh tale and robin's gonna piece together the true history off-panel then ask luffy if hes interested and luffy will say no

Luffy will pick up a beetle for a full page spread and Robin will have a tiny panel in a corner trying to fit all the lore.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Violen posted:

I hope Robin laughs when she learns the true history.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Libra posted:

There will be a climactic showdown between Luffy and Blackbeard but Luffy will only remember him as the guy with bad opinions about pie.

sadly he already remembered blackbeard in impel down and remembers hes the guy who hosed over ace

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blackbeard and Luffy's central conflict still gonna revolve around their opinion on pies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Keeping with his Toriyama influence, the lost history and the Laugh Tale is just the funny manga Dr. Slump.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Waffleman_ posted:

Keeping with his Toriyama influence, the lost history and the Laugh Tale is just the funny manga Dr. Slump.

In the heart of the giant mech is a sleeping Arale

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Will of D is Dragon Ball.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Started collecting One Piece volumes.... eventually I'll need something bigger, but I have a small bookshelf that fits everything I have for now:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

According to Emily Rudd, the actress playing Nami in the Netflix show, the reason Luffy is wearing shoes is because there's a fair bit of stuntwork, and sandals are not exactly the safest footwear to be doing stunts in, which I get, I suppose.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Just paint feet over the shoes, duh.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Give him those shoes that are shaped like feet.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also finally listening to Ado's songs from Film Red and Backlight is loving sick.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I can't wait to see how bad the villains look in the live-action show. We got Buggy, Alvida, and Arlong, and I bet they all look awful. Mihawk and Higuma will probably look good, though.

It seems that Kuro, Don Krieg and <3 Gin <3 have been spared from being molded into reality by Netflix unless they just haven't announced the casting yet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They have announced Kuro already, but they announced him as "Klahadore." They're doing Baratie, so it wouldn't make sense to not have Don Krieg, but they've announced basically everyone else. I guess they're just gonna make Baratie about Mihawk?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Waffleman_ posted:

They have announced Kuro already, but they announced him as "Klahadore." They're doing Baratie, so it wouldn't make sense to not have Don Krieg, but they've announced basically everyone else. I guess they're just gonna make Baratie about Mihawk?

Ahh, that makes sense. I did wonder why they'd scrap the most normal-looking villain of East Blue. (I mean, cept for Gin)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the krieg fight was probably the first moment that made luffy feel like luffy though when he just punched through the spiked cloak or whatever. that made him feel different from the rest of the other shounen protagonists of the era.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

According to Emily Rudd, the actress playing Nami in the Netflix show, the reason Luffy is wearing shoes is because there's a fair bit of stuntwork, and sandals are not exactly the safest footwear to be doing stunts in, which I get, I suppose.

So Netflix is already loving up the live action by getting a guy who isn't made of rubber.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Are they doing Arlong at least or is the whole season just gonna be the most normal human enemies in the series?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, they got an Arlong cast.

From the characters they've announced, they're going up to at least Arlong Park. I'd say Loguetown, but I do not believe they've cast a Smoker, unless that's where they insert their Garp, but I think Garp is gonna be in a flashback, since they've also cast some bandit who tries to kill Luffy when he was a kid.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 5, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You need a Garp for when Colby and Helmempo enlist right after Zoro joins the crew.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That reminds me, is it going to be Zoro or Zolo?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

how many episodes is this supposed to be? Are they seriously going to try to cram everything up to Arlong into a ~13 episode “prestige” season?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

holefoods posted:

how many episodes is this supposed to be? Are they seriously going to try to cram everything up to Arlong into a ~13 episode “prestige” season?

ten episodes, and it might be up to the grand line.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Romance Dawn - 1
Orange Town - 2
Syrup Village - 1
Baratie - 2
Arlong Park - 3
Loguetown - 1

That'd probably be how I divide the East Blue into 10 episodes?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

10 episodes is like basically each East Blue arc condensed to 1 episode, good lord.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

If each episode is an hour long that seems like plenty of time

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Also I know that Syrup Village is technically longer than Orange Town but let's all be honest the quicker we're done with Syrup Village, the better.

And yeah if they're an hour long, that should be plenty of time. Remember that episodes of the One Piece anime are pretty heavily padded, even without non-canon content filler.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

True but the anime wasn't nearly as padded in the early days. East Blue era each episode would be like 3 or 4 chapters worth of story, compared to today where an episode is like half a chapter and half recaps of the previous episode.

I guess the East Blue arcs are short enough but if the series somehow survives it'd be interesting to see how they fit longer arcs into a season.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Really, there's not much too the arcs before the Grand Line. The only real reason you'd want to take a little longer to get to Arlong is to make Nami's betrayal sting a little. Then, Arlong Park has probably as much or more actual plot as everything before Baratie put together.

Feel bad for the actors cast in Romance Dawn though. They're signing Marvel level contracts for a potential reappearances in like 4 seasons. Unless they How I Met Your Mother it and film all the round the world reactions and brief appearances in Luffy's flashbacks at the same time.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
lol why have they even cast garp, i'd guess to show up after morgan is defeated but that seems pretty extraneous since it was only a cover story in the original

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Because Garp is cool

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Imagine hiring actors to play like Doflamingo and Kuma for one scene and then going "Alright see you in like 12 years"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Drakkel posted:

True but the anime wasn't nearly as padded in the early days. East Blue era each episode would be like 3 or 4 chapters worth of story, compared to today where an episode is like half a chapter and half recaps of the previous episode.

I guess the East Blue arcs are short enough but if the series somehow survives it'd be interesting to see how they fit longer arcs into a season.

Nah even early One Piece was a little padded. Well, it depends on what you define as early, but I'm rewatching Enies Lobby and a lot of the episodes have psuedo-"last time on One Piece" recaps before the episode title drop, so sometimes that combined with the OP you don't even get into new content until like 6 minutes in

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Nah even early One Piece was a little padded. Well, it depends on what you define as early, but I'm rewatching Enies Lobby and a lot of the episodes have psuedo-"last time on One Piece" recaps before the episode title drop, so sometimes that combined with the OP you don't even get into new content until like 6 minutes in

I mean when I say "early OP" I meant East Blue to Skypeia generally. Water 7 is where the "oh gently caress we're catching up to the manga we gotta slow down, waaaaayyy down" effect starts creeping in and by the time you get to Marineford it becomes borderline unwatchable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scholtz posted:

Enies Lobby is where they 100% caught up with the manga. Which resulted in the infamous 5 episodes of flashbacks in the middle of a jump.

After Arlong Park is when they started playing around with filler. First they started with a couple cover arc adaptations, which aren't technically filler, right before Loguetown. Then they did entire island adventure arc filler inserts between arcs. Also in Alabasta they tried a couple of Ace filler episodes. Finally they got desperate and started throwing in Boss Luffy alternate universe filler episodes to buy time before deciding to just always pad everything with extended reactions shots and mini filler injections.

It's kind of interesting to look at how the Big 3 each settled on a different strategy to avoid catching up to the manga.

One Piece: gently caress it, every episode has filler tossed in now.

Bleach: gently caress it, just have Ichigo break the 4th Wall and tell the audience that this week we're doing a What If... the gang played soccer or now there's vampires or some poo poo. Then we'll just come back to the cannon we dropped mid arc.

Naruto: gently caress it, we're doing the 3 year time skip live with filler. What are you going to do, not watch for 3 years? Look, he's making ramen with a rasengan, and you're all still watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The bleach approach is the best. Sometimes you get a decent filler arc out of it, and it doesnt screw up the rest of the show. Literally just have Usopp get clonked on the head and have him dream a new island, i dont care!!!!!!!!!

e: thinking about it, it would be cool to see every straw hat get cold clocked and then see what thier dream adventure island would be like. One Piece odessey 2, maybe

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 5, 2023