Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

It looks like something you'd use to stage an accident in Hitman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Upstairs Doorstairs.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sagebrush posted:

That looks like a San Francisco Special, except none of the houses here have basements.

So you're saying that belongs to the Zodiac killer?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

So the main issue here is that if something DOES go wrong, it's likely going to go wrong in a space where you won't immediately notice it and where the water damage will be a LOT worse than just about anywhere else.

Secondly, you're almost guaranteed that water's going to get into that little space just from normal showering stuff, so hope you like black mold.

That's not the issue at all. If something went wrong with the plumbing for a normal shower you wouldn't notice it either (how often do you open the access panel for your showers plumbing, assuming code even required one when your shower was installed). The biggest issue is that its a shower in an unconverted bath. None of the surfaces outside of the tub are fully waterproofed so they'll get damp, the drywall behind them (because there's definitely not waterproof backing board) will get damp and you'll get mildew on the inside and the outside. Getting mildew in the cabinet is gonna happen but its the least of your concern compared to everything else

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Tiles: how do they fit together?

("That would fit right in with your bathroom," my dad said.)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slanderer posted:

That's not the issue at all. If something went wrong with the plumbing for a normal shower you wouldn't notice it either (how often do you open the access panel for your showers plumbing, assuming code even required one when your shower was installed). The biggest issue is that its a shower in an unconverted bath. None of the surfaces outside of the tub are fully waterproofed so they'll get damp, the drywall behind them (because there's definitely not waterproof backing board) will get damp and you'll get mildew on the inside and the outside. Getting mildew in the cabinet is gonna happen but its the least of your concern compared to everything else

I've never lived anywhere built more recently than 1993. Where does code require access panels for shower guts?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Probably Chicago so they can pull all the lead pipes out of the walls eventually.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Some areas of the US have it but I think it's just that you need a shutoff for the hot/cold water lines inside the room so you don't need to turn off the whole house and they're probably going to be in the wall. You don't need access to the back of the mixer valve or anything.

...I think. I'm pretty hazy because it's been forever since I've needed to know.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Probably Chicago so they can pull all the lead pipes out of the walls eventually.

Still better than polybutylene.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've never lived anywhere built more recently than 1993. Where does code require access panels for shower guts?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If so, the regulation didn't make it all the way out to the burbs. I wish it had; it would be convenient to have shower shutoff valves for when I need to replace the goddamn cheapass 1980s soft plastic Nibco valve cartridge thingy every five years or so.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I doubt it's much a thing anywhere but if you want an access panel there's probably code the covers it.

Chicago itself had a lot of lead pipes though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Good floor planning is a loss art

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

This makes me irrationally angry.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Beef Of Ages posted:

This makes me irrationally angry.

It's often harder on the resident than on the architect.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Huh, so that's what a water closet looks like

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Another loss edit

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

yes it is

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cat Hatter posted:

Still better than polybutylene.

Wikipedia claims it's still commonly used (increasing, even) in some markets. It looks like it's the chlorine compounds in chlorinated water that breaks it down, so I guess it would be ok in regions that use oxygen/UV/whatever treatments instead?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

If so, the regulation didn't make it all the way out to the burbs. I wish it had; it would be convenient to have shower shutoff valves for when I need to replace the goddamn cheapass 1980s soft plastic Nibco valve cartridge thingy every five years or so.

Many single-handed diverters have shut off valves right on the body itself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Computer viking posted:

Wikipedia claims it's still commonly used (increasing, even) in some markets. It looks like it's the chlorine compounds in chlorinated water that breaks it down, so I guess it would be ok in regions that use oxygen/UV/whatever treatments instead?

I still wouldn't trust it. There is an entire industry that does nothing but replace people's leaky PB pipes and PEX isn't hideously expensive or anything.

Besides, "our pipes are fine as long as the composition of our water never changes" isn't really something you want to rely on. Ask the people in Flint.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The house looks fine, the use of color is pleasant enough, but the perspective is a bit wonky (look at the lower row of windows).
Besides, isn't that a Hitler painting?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Computer viking posted:

The house looks fine, the use of color is pleasant enough, but the perspective is a bit wonky (look at the lower row of windows).
Besides, isn't that a Hitler painting?

Wonky perspective architectural drawing masquerading as a painting and presented without comment is 100% going to be a Hitler.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

slurm posted:

Wonky perspective architectural drawing masquerading as a painting and presented without comment is 100% going to be a Hitler.

Hitler was the original AI art bot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There probably actually were stairs built in front of that window.

Now the perspective, that is all on ol’ Adolf.

P.S. How tall is that door?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Computer viking posted:

The local water system changed their bacterial control over to chlorine, guess I'll just have to re-pipe my whole house.

(correct thread for this suggestion)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
UV is a supplemental treatment. They still have to add chemicals because even if the water came out of the UV chambers totally sterile, there’s no guarantee that it stays that way as it moves through countless miles of pipes.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Platystemon posted:

UV is a supplemental treatment. They still have to add chemicals because even if the water came out of the UV chambers totally sterile, there’s no guarantee that it stays that way as it moves through countless miles of pipes.
We should just make the pipes out of uv.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slugworth posted:

We should just make the pipes out of uv.

BRB, writing a proposal to use municipal water pipes as lightguides to directed pulsed UV that carries Internet traffic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/PlanningShit/status/1622305929902301184?s=20&t=_YKpJUTHZTRNhKjuNKKV2Q

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

This is what I see.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

I don't know anything about anything, but doesn't UV light have to hit (whatever) for several minutes to actually kill whatever its trying to kill?
So if you have pipes with water going through them would they not have to be really long, (or flowing really slowly I suppose) to actually do the killing?

Or I suppose big rear end tanks that the water goes in to for uv application I guess.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

wesleywillis posted:

I don't know anything about anything, but doesn't UV light have to hit (whatever) for several minutes to actually kill whatever its trying to kill?
So if you have pipes with water going through them would they not have to be really long, (or flowing really slowly I suppose) to actually do the killing?

Or I suppose big rear end tanks that the water goes in to for uv application I guess.

The stronger the UV the faster it works, the stuff you can safely and practically do in a water cooled closed tube is going to be a lot stronger than in open air.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Taken to the extreme, with a strong enough uv source, you could strap James Bond to a table and cut him in half.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cat Hatter posted:

Taken to the extreme, with a strong enough uv source, you could strap James Bond to a table and cut him in half.

Wow, I never thought you could use it to tie someone down!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Give someone a bad enough sunburn and you won't even have to.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Friend of mine lived in a farmhouse in Shanksville, PA, in a valley that was chiefly dairy farms....so all of the water was contaminated with fecal coliform.

He installed a UV system to kill it: it consisted of bombarding the water by using six 8' long UV tube lights surrounding a glass pipe that all of the well-water ran through. It worked fine but his water pressure was really low.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I don't know any more specs, but here's a 2007 image of the UV section of the water works that supply most of Oslo:

"Cables for the fluorescent tubes are visible on the exterior of the UV installation that will kill potential parasites. The UV filter will be put into use in a couple of weeks".

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I guess this is as good a time as any to ask: are any of the UV air filter things for house HVAC actually doing what they claim? I would have similarly thought that the air was going too fast for a 2 second blast of UV to do much.