Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I stopped by my local Lego store an hour before closing and the employees were saying that Friday is going to be a surprise double VIP points day on top of the new GWP 4x4 off-road ambulance thing that has been leaked. I have no clue if this is actually going to happen, if it applies internationally, if it's in-store only, or if it's just at this one store. They convinced me to wait to buy the A-Frame until then :shrug: Most importantly there were both 1x6x5 black panels and 6x5 green leaves on the PaB wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can chat or call customer service and get verification of things like this. Also, don't we have a LEGO employee here who could be cool and give us heads up on this sort of thing?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Cool, go for it. I was planning on loading up on more panels and leaves either way.

E: Looks like the 2x VIP points is running from the 10th until the 16th!

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 7, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

Lego thread: my FUNWHOLE is not super attractive and needs 3 AA batteries.

:cheerdoge:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Rivendell was announced this morning. Absolutely stunning set, and another excuse to drop half a grand on LEGO.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/the-lord-of-the-rings-rivendell-10316

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VaultAggie posted:

Rivendell was announced this morning. Absolutely stunning set, and another excuse to drop half a grand on LEGO.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/the-lord-of-the-rings-rivendell-10316

I don't care how nice it looks. I am not ever under any circumstances going to do that roof. It would never be straight enough for me and I would spend all year just aligning it and putting finger prints on everything.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
that looks sick as hell but something about it screams 200-250€ Modular to me, by which I mean I love it but don’t see myself spending that much

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It looks amazing but at 6100+ pieces I guess I thought it'd be bigger. Lot of pieces taken up in those roof and water tiles, I guess. 15 minifigs is pretty cool too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't care how nice it looks. I am not ever under any circumstances going to do that roof. It would never be straight enough for me and I would spend all year just aligning it and putting finger prints on everything.

Yeah jeeze, I really hope they have a technique for getting them all on/lined up.

I was thinking it was kind of funny how nearly perfect the roof looks for how hard it will probably be to get it that way, and of course for product shots they're going to make everything look perfect, but then I just happened to notice this:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

After doing the Taj Mahal, they really need to come up with some 1x1 grid aligning tool or some poo poo. At least when I stack 1x1s, I can press the sides against my desk to ensure they're all aligned. When 1x1s are in a grid its just a nightmare.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

drat Rivendell looks great but is about half the size I wanted it to be. Oh well.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I think I dodged a bullet here, the set looks nice but minifig-heavy playsets don't really appeal to me. If it was microscale and architecture-focused like Hogwarts I'd be saying goodbye to $500.

And yeah that roof looks like hell on toast. I hope they include a straight edge in the box.

FBS fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 7, 2023

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's super pretty but lol at 500 bucks

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taeke posted:

It's super pretty but lol at 500 bucks

hey now, the hulkbuster was $50 for 2000 less pieces! this is a steal!

my friends who aren't really into lego are all dismayed at the price but what can you do.

on the plus side, one of them said he wanted to work on a MOC of board game artwork he has of mayanesque architecture and I thought I'd help him out (or see if anyone here wanted to)

I figured I'd use one of the stargate MOCs as inspiration for the 'portal', are there any old lego adventurers sets I could use as inspiration for the architecture? otherwise i'll just use this one https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-116457/peme/21058-building-of-the-great-pyramid/#details

I'll probably try to make it microscale if he wants to build it in real life

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 7, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I feel like Rivendell is going to look bigger in person because the dimensions are pretty substantial.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

hey now, the hulkbuster was $50 for 2000 less pieces! this is a steal!

my friends who aren't really into lego are all dismayed at the price but what can you do.

on the plus side, one of them said he wanted to work on a MOC of board game artwork he has of mayanesque architecture and I thought I'd help him out (or see if anyone here wanted to)

I figured I'd use one of the stargate MOCs as inspiration for the 'portal', are there any old lego adventurers sets I could use as inspiration for the architecture? otherwise i'll just use this one https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-116457/peme/21058-building-of-the-great-pyramid/#details

I'll probably try to make it microscale if he wants to build it in real life

Might be helpful: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=71172-1#T=S&O=%7B%22iconly%22:0%7D

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
That piece count looks super inflated for the price. It's probably 50% tiny pieces. Looks cool, no doubt, but I don't think it looks even as impressive as the Castle the just released which is way more impressive from a lego standpoint to me. I'd be all over it if I had infinite money and space, though.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I’m torn, Rivendell looks kind of detailed, nice and colorful

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoXTBlHrDR4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The secret to the roof is that you display it back forward and you never have to see it.

But nope! Nice try, but thank you Lego from saving me from myself

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Literally me, my partner sent this to me first thing this morning and I was like, 'There is no chance I would ever be satisfied with how I angled those tiles'.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ha, what the hell? I had no idea this existed. and yeah, I was wondering about other options besides click hinges and this has a part I wasn't familiar with, might be useful for pricing it out. might be able to use two layers of those A shape wedges , one for the stargate thing, then another inside that supporting the 'destination'

vvv I was checking prices of the lions king castle from the knockoff sites to get a ballpark, even though this one is substantially bigger. 100+50 shipping sounds about right

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 7, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
That set is gonna be sweet when I get it from mould king for $100.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Flyinglemur posted:

Oh.

poo poo.
No worries, I promise. It's much easier to arrange your parts/steps after the entire model is done rather than on-the-fly while you're building it. You're good.

After doing 70 or 80 sets of instructions in Studio, here's how I personally approach it:

1) Move all your pieces onto 1 step if you haven't done so already (assuming you haven't begun separating them into steps manually).
2) Create a new, blank step. Move it into step 1, so the step with all the bits is now step 2.
3) Select the piece you want to use as the starting point for the very first step. Select it, right click it on the rightmost bar, and hit "move to step 1."
4) Add a new step after step 1. You should now have step 1, with your starting piece; step 2, which is blank; and step 3, with all the other parts.
5) Hide step 1.
6) Repeat steps 3 thru 5, adding new steps as you go.

At any point, you can switch the view model to "view current step" on the right and click through your steps, making sure the parts are being added in a logical way. Picture the camera angle you will use for each step (try to limit camera angle changes as much as possible) and make sure everything being added is visible and clear. Once you're done checking the step-by-step, turn "view current step" back off and hide every step except the last one to get back to work on it.

Create sub models for every sub assembly that would be easier or faster to build separately and attach later. Do not be scared of sub models. My larger builds have dozens, sometimes over a hundred of them. Make sub models within your sub models. It helps a lot!

Just keep checking your work. Consider camera angles again. And again. Try to limit how much a model will have to be flipped upside-down and rotated. Never have an added part be hidden unless it's a perfectly symmetrical mirror of something that is visible, and even then, consider just doing each side as a separate set of steps instead. Clarity is key, and if that means it takes more steps, whatever.

When you're doing the camera work and page layouts, keep your part scaling as consistent as possible. Try to keep the part callouts roughly consistent in scale with the model parts as well - same for submodel preview images.

If you want to view an .io file that I have already sorted out the instructions steps for, lemme know and I can provide one! Hell, hit me up at the right time and I can show you all this in a Discord stream or something. Always happy to help.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I want all the minifigs and have zero interest in the set.

I’ll probably just BrickLink old Bilbo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Literally A Person posted:

That set is gonna be sweet when I get it from mould king for $100.

Is mouldking.store the legit one? I see a bunch of different things when googling, as usual when an unofficial brand picks up a good reputation.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is mouldking.store the legit one? I see a bunch of different things when googling, as usual when an unofficial brand picks up a good reputation.

Not sure but I'm pretty sure you can still find their sets on yourwobb

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Carbohydrates posted:

No worries, I promise. It's much easier to arrange your parts/steps after the entire model is done rather than on-the-fly while you're building it. You're good.

After doing 70 or 80 sets of instructions in Studio, here's how I personally approach it:

1) Move all your pieces onto 1 step if you haven't done so already (assuming you haven't begun separating them into steps manually).
2) Create a new, blank step. Move it into step 1, so the step with all the bits is now step 2.
3) Select the piece you want to use as the starting point for the very first step. Select it, right click it on the rightmost bar, and hit "move to step 1."
4) Add a new step after step 1. You should now have step 1, with your starting piece; step 2, which is blank; and step 3, with all the other parts.
5) Hide step 1.
6) Repeat steps 3 thru 5, adding new steps as you go.

At any point, you can switch the view model to "view current step" on the right and click through your steps, making sure the parts are being added in a logical way. Picture the camera angle you will use for each step (try to limit camera angle changes as much as possible) and make sure everything being added is visible and clear. Once you're done checking the step-by-step, turn "view current step" back off and hide every step except the last one to get back to work on it.

Create sub models for every sub assembly that would be easier or faster to build separately and attach later. Do not be scared of sub models. My larger builds have dozens, sometimes over a hundred of them. Make sub models within your sub models. It helps a lot!

Just keep checking your work. Consider camera angles again. And again. Try to limit how much a model will have to be flipped upside-down and rotated. Never have an added part be hidden unless it's a perfectly symmetrical mirror of something that is visible, and even then, consider just doing each side as a separate set of steps instead. Clarity is key, and if that means it takes more steps, whatever.

When you're doing the camera work and page layouts, keep your part scaling as consistent as possible. Try to keep the part callouts roughly consistent in scale with the model parts as well - same for submodel preview images.

If you want to view an .io file that I have already sorted out the instructions steps for, lemme know and I can provide one! Hell, hit me up at the right time and I can show you all this in a Discord stream or something. Always happy to help.

I have a migraine now thanks ;)

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Every MOC I build is "artisan" (no instructions and forgetting what I already did as I build it)

The idea of stud.io actually makes me a little crazy, I don't think I can go from freely manipulating a piece with my hands to what I imagine is at least at first a time consuming process to find and orient every piece

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I only use studio when disassembling builds so I can recreate them at a future date. I never do but someday I might!

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

EL BROMANCE posted:

IIRC almost none of the Chinese brands have official stores except Cada - sites like this one are either overpriced resellers or scams. Best to stick to known sellers like yourwobb or hitian.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I made a B2EMO, but it's also I made a lighthouse, whoops.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 7, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

EEKA GEEK posted:

Every MOC I build is "artisan" (no instructions and forgetting what I already did as I build it)

The idea of stud.io actually makes me a little crazy, I don't think I can go from freely manipulating a piece with my hands to what I imagine is at least at first a time consuming process to find and orient every piece

Well I have nothing but time and a self destructive behavior that compells me to put everything into something I like to do and then poo poo all over myself for not being perfect at it. So you can be jelly of THAT, my friend

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not sure but I'm pretty sure you can still find their sets on yourwobb

Lamont posted:

IIRC almost none of the Chinese brands have official stores except Cada - sites like this one are either overpriced resellers or scams. Best to stick to known sellers like yourwobb or hitian.

Didn’t know of yourwobb before so will look them up now, thanks.

E: if it’s allowed first person to throw a referral code up I’ll use it to sign up.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 7, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

EL BROMANCE posted:

Didn’t know of yourwobb before so will look them up now, thanks.

They're the distributors of the Bootlego classic PRINCESS DEATHSTAR

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They're the distributors of the Bootlego classic PRINCESS DEATHSTAR

I can only imagine what it looks like and I need it in my life.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've ordered from brickkk.com before, they're legit despite the unfortunate URL.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can only imagine what it looks like and I need it in my life.

Someone in this thread bought it and started sticking it together. Not sure if they ever finished it but I was incredibly jealous.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

mastershakeman posted:

Can't help on the Lego side but that reads as heavily Bronze Age Mediterranean / Minoan-inspired rather than Mayan to me. Might be helpful to look up reconstructions of Knossos Palace, or maybe some Mycenaean stuff.

e: looks like someone actually has done a MOC: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/172237-moc-knossos-palace/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Koramei posted:

Can't help on the Lego side but that reads as heavily Bronze Age Mediterranean / Minoan-inspired rather than Mayan to me. Might be helpful to look up reconstructions of Knossos Palace, or maybe some Mycenaean stuff.

e: looks like someone actually has done a MOC: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/172237-moc-knossos-palace/

I think you're spot on, thank you. I could pretty much just combine that MOC (even without instructions, the photos show it should be pretty simple) and the weird lego movie 2 portal. Hard to decide between minifig scale and microscale though.
Edit : zooming in on his box art, the portal is gigantic with tiny people under it. So that would work perfect - use the lego movie 2 design for the portal, then everything else is micro and just use barrels/round studs for the red pillars. This is exciting

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

https://www.brickmeupscottie.com/ is another good site for non-LEGO sets. The guy who runs it does YouTube reviews for many of the sets so you can get a good idea of the quality.