Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm finally all caught up on Mashle and I have to say that I'm both glad and disappointed I read it in a few sittings. The gimmick feels a bit well-worn when you don't read it weekly, but on the other hand, the chapters that read more like a shonen manga flow better when you just go through them at a speedy pace.

It's also kinda wild how derivative it is, you can kinda tell where everything came from, from certain scenes to the powers of the characters, to the character designs. I laughed hard at the Dark Souls cameos too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dangerous Person posted:

Me too. It turned me off of getting invested in a series until it has a good backlog of chapters

Yeah, same. Ayashimon just...I don't see how they coulda canned it. Hit me hard and I can't follow new ones early anymore.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, same. Ayashimon just...I don't see how they coulda canned it. Hit me hard and I can't follow new ones early anymore.

This one was the most confused I’ve been about a series being canceled. The art was great, the concept seemed pretty original, and it had great pacing. Jump was being super cutthroat at the time and cancelling everything as fast as they could. Except Earth Child, that poo poo got to hang around for 27 chapters and was awful the entire time.

Ayashimon and Hunter’s Guild: Red Hood are probably the best cancelled series in jump. For Ayashimon it absolutely sucks and I think maybe the author didn’t get along with editorial or somethjng, but I think Hunter’s Guild getting cancelled early actually works to its benefit. The story gets incredibly meta and it rules hard.

Rest in piss to the following: Earth Child (which is so awful that I assume the author must have had dirt on someone), Bone Collection, The Last Saiyuki, Aliens Area, and Build King.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ranger Reject

Guess Green Keeper's the new public face of the Keepers, huh?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Rest in piss to the following: Earth Child (which is so awful that I assume the author must have had dirt on someone)

Given the editor (who was a known fuckup, if not the company clown) was fired shortly before earthchild was finally canned, I can only assume it was him.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm finally all caught up on Mashle and I have to say that I'm both glad and disappointed I read it in a few sittings. The gimmick feels a bit well-worn when you don't read it weekly, but on the other hand, the chapters that read more like a shonen manga flow better when you just go through them at a speedy pace.

It's also kinda wild how derivative it is, you can kinda tell where everything came from, from certain scenes to the powers of the characters, to the character designs. I laughed hard at the Dark Souls cameos too.

Yeah, it’s amazing and audacious in how blatant it is sometimes.
It really feels like the author went, “right Rock Lee goes to Hogwarts and everyone has a quirk. “
I can definitely believe the gimmick might get dull reading in a single go though.
He even has a literal Itachi and Shark guy fight. :allears:

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Rest in piss to the following: Earth Child (which is so awful that I assume the author must have had dirt on someone), Bone Collection, The Last Saiyuki, Aliens Area, and Build King.

Bone Collection wasn’t great, but had some strong early bleach vibes, had it continued it might have actually become goodish.

Earth Child on the other hand will forever be the manga other bad manga have to measure up to.
I still can’t believe that part where they practice going into space by strapping a baby to the lead, go into space in a dangerous journey only for the guide to be like “well actually we can’t do anything here yet” so they go visit grandma and grandpa instead. :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Ranger Reject

Guess Green Keeper's the new public face of the Keepers, huh?

I'm surprised and impressed that D managed it, to be honest. Good for him!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm surprised and impressed that D managed it, to be honest. Good for him!

Hilarious how he hosed it up right afterwards by just randomly blurting out "ah just like back on the sky fortress" with Hisui and Suzukiri making their best "it's a good thing we already knew you were an invader anyway" faces.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 8, 2023

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

I Am Fowl posted:

i think what might've turned people off it despite it's fun designs and concept, was it was incredibly wordy. Felt like reading some later One Piece or HxH chapters with all the text they had.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Still think Ayashimon's first chapter was an all timer. Which might have hurt it a bit in hindsight.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

UnderFreddy posted:

i think what might've turned people off it despite it's fun designs and concept, was it was incredibly wordy. Felt like reading some later One Piece or HxH chapters with all the text they had.

can't confirm for everyone, but it was very much the case for me with Ayashimon

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The action and characters didn't feel like they had much room to grow, partially due to the meta gimmick of the lead. Stuff like the chestnut(?) training was obviously trying to remedy that but was haphazardly executed, probably because cancellation was already on the way.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like it and Dororon had opposite problems, since that had a lead people seemed into a little more, just with a much less interesting setting. Ayashimon also had a leading lady people seemed to like a bit more than Dororon's, but that's a little cheating considering the whole story was about Urara.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ayashimon ruled it had an all timer dumbass shounen protag and the art was fabulous

really sad it got cut for whatever reason

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ayashimon getting canned so early was bizarre since it was from an established creator who just successfully completed a series that was getting an anime.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Ayashimon getting canned so early was bizarre since it was from an established creator who just successfully completed a series that was getting an anime.

I also think the first volume had gotten a reprint recently so it was doing good and the series that replaced it didn't exactly go the distance either.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I also think the first volume had gotten a reprint recently so it was doing good and the series that replaced it didn't exactly go the distance either.

It was doing well, but not amazingly well. Presumably, Jump expected more based on past success.

Also, of the series in the batch that replaced it is on break, but it did sell 200,000 copies of volume 1, so if the author can manage a weekly schedule again, presumably it'll outsell Ayashimon by quite a lot on a regular basis.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This weeks Skeleton Double is an extra chapter but also a relatable chapter. gently caress plastic wrap

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I gotta say I'm so pleased with how Undead Unluck has turned out. the build up from crappy- to mediocre-to great has mad the read worth it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, given Volume 1, I would have never have guessed we'd be here in this comics endgame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is a shame the early stuff is so bad because the series does improve once it stops treating sexual assault as a punchline but more k is it is hard to ask people to give it a shot based off the beginning stuff

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It is a shame the early stuff is so bad because the series does improve once it stops treating sexual assault as a punchline but more k is it is hard to ask people to give it a shot based off the beginning stuff

i feel like this is applicable to like 20% of all manga

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It would probably help if the Apocalypse hook at least capped off vol 1 instead of starting vol 2, but approaching this from the angle of all chapters being free on mangaplus I don't think the 9 chapter investment to get there is a big ask.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Another week of Mashle being perfectly silly, I love it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's amazing just how much of Mashle's quality depends directly on whether Mash is present or not.

Yozakura: I guess this explains the mysterious absence of the family's uncles/aunts and grand uncles/aunts.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 12, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sindai posted:

It's amazing just how much of Mashle's quality depends directly on whether Mash is present or not.

Yozakura: I guess this explains the mysterious absence of the family's uncles/aunts and grand uncles/aunts.

Whenever Mash isn’t on screen all characters should just straight up being him back.

Why did Innocent Zero getting repeatedly hit in the face make me smile so much.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ichinose Family: The 2nd loop is by far more interesting but I can appreciate the first iteration setting up enough stuff for this to have meaning. Seems the father lost his job, the family started going through more financial hardships, and maybe a customer at the Burger joint he started working at gave him more comfort than his wife was causing him to start hanging out with that family more.

Keeping in mind the accident that also caused the family to be here is the Father's doing so how much of all this is on him?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Fabricant is pretty good. Considering what we’ve been told and shown thus far, this was the only way this should’ve gone. Good on the author on first painting a sympathetic picture and then still going for the scorpion sting as we’re crossing the river. It also reinforces the thoughts and priorities of Ashibi regarding disabling the sound attacks. Those weren’t fake stakes, 100 likely would’ve taken him from there based on what we saw here.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Alacron posted:

So we knew that Akane's solution to how to perform Fetching Tea was going to be to make it more comedic, but this is actually really smart of her.

Urara leans into how beautiful and seductive the oiran is plays her exactly as the customer saw her.

Akane realizes that the story is entirely just some dudebro telling his buddies about this hot chick he met and leans into that. We're not seeing the oiran as she was, we're seeing the guy's awful impression of her.

I love this manga.

Welp, turns out I was wrong :T

Still impressive though, I really liked the resolution to this arc. And having this triumphant moment on the comic's first anniversary is some really impressive control of pacing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Elusive Samurai was light this week, but that's mostly because it was letting the emotional climax of the story so far have more weight, and I feel it worked.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

Fabricant is pretty good. Considering what we’ve been told and shown thus far, this was the only way this should’ve gone. Good on the author on first painting a sympathetic picture and then still going for the scorpion sting as we’re crossing the river. It also reinforces the thoughts and priorities of Ashibi regarding disabling the sound attacks. Those weren’t fake stakes, 100 likely would’ve taken him from there based on what we saw here.

It's real good. I'm wondering if this is foreshadowing for 100 coming across someone more desirable than Ashibi, or at least implanting that idea in his head. He's only valuable as long as 100 thinks he's the ideal person to harvest - as soon as he's not, so long.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The first couple chapters of Fabricant didn't win me over and now y'all are making me give it a second look, how dare you be a positive influence.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just read all the current Fabricant chapters. It's good! I'm really curious where it's going to go with the plot, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume 100's big arc is going to be whether or not she can fight against her nature as a fabricant. Because they talk a lot about how they all have these compulsive behaviors.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
100 especially isn't even trying to pretend like she genuinely cares for Ashibi, she just happens to also be very cute about it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the danger is that he'd fool himself. anthropomorphizing is what people do, even more so when the subject is already very similar to a human. it probably doesn't help that ashibi is a traumatized orphan with no other significant relationships.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Cipher Academy is very interesting this week (despite the translators basically giving up and admitting they can’t make the lipogram game work in English). Some very dark backstory for Iroha implied by his answers.

Speaking of Cipher Academy, it looks like this week’s Witch Watch is a parody of it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

muscles like this! posted:

I assume 100's big arc is going to be whether or not she can fight against her nature as a fabricant. Because they talk a lot about how they all have these compulsive behaviors.

Yeah, I agree with this. I assume at some point 100's protectiveness will translate into real feelings, and she'll have to struggle with wanting to keep Ashibi alive and wanting to use him to become perfect.

Although I'd wouldn't mind if the mangaka sticks with the premise of the series and 100 never changes in wanting to stick to her agreement with Ashibi

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. I assume at some point 100's protectiveness will translate into real feelings, and she'll have to struggle with wanting to keep Ashibi alive and wanting to use him to become perfect.

Although I'd wouldn't mind if the mangaka sticks with the premise of the series and 100 never changes in wanting to stick to her agreement with Ashibi

It'd be neat, but this still Shonen Jump. Friendship, Effort, Victory is the motto for the whole magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

100 could go full nine tailed fox from naruto (and I kinda think she will too) but it's not like there's no precedent for the monster just being a monster. sukuna exists