Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Treecko posted:

Salaries loving sucks if you work more than 45 hours a week. You screw yourself out of that sweet overtime pay

Contrary to popular belief, most salary positions are still required to pay overtime over 40 hours. Only very specific salary-based roles(such as management) do not require overtime at 40 hours, and if you're not getting what you're due you can sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Anything above an empty bowl and some rice is enormous and needless

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I think Jeff is still starting the mods out at 100k + probation/ban bonuses. TBH he should probably increase the base salary, it's a tough job.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I make about 60K in my extremely easy and stable job. I wouldn't give up this security for a little more money; the increase would have to be pretty huge.
My partner makes more than me and as a couple of DINKs, our combined income is more than enough to have a decent house and plenty of savings.

I'd love to make 100K but that's not really possible for me in my field since those jobs are reserved for folks with specialized degrees and training. I'm too old to go back to school, so I've made peace with my station... for now.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Wow you must be working like 100 hr weeks at the bj factory

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wow you must be working like 100 hr weeks at the bj factory

I'm the team lead at the Dick Sucking Factory. I don't suck the dicks myself any more but I do the final QC pass and have first-level supervisory duties (performance evaluations, restocking the snack table.)

The hours are long, we go through mops like crazy but demand is only getting higher.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Vincent Valentine posted:

Contrary to popular belief, most salary positions are still required to pay overtime over 40 hours. Only very specific salary-based roles(such as management) do not require overtime at 40 hours, and if you're not getting what you're due you can sue.

Last salary position I was on call 24/7. Now I am in a union and despite being salaried my schedule is 8:00-4:30 and if you need me you can contact me then, otherwise you'll have to wait until tomorrow/Monday, bub.

Have you considered organizing? :smug:

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Nooner posted:

Last salary position I was on call 24/7. Now I am in a union and despite being salaried my schedule is 8:00-4:30 and if you need me you can contact me then, otherwise you'll have to wait until tomorrow/Monday, bub.

Have you considered organizing? :smug:

Being in a union loving rules

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

slurm posted:

Being in a union loving rules

:haibrower:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
100k is a ton of money depending on where you live in the US and whether you have a family or not.

If you have a family and you live in California, 100k isn't all that. But if you're making say 100k a year and live in say the south, you're pretty decently well off.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Anybody want to start a posters union

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Ginette Reno posted:

100k is a ton of money depending on where you live in the US and whether you have a family or not.

If you have a family and you live in California, 100k isn't all that. But if you're making say 100k a year and live in say the south, you're pretty decently well off.

Yeah this is definitely true, it's changing in a lot of areas that were once cheaper but still decent, now you mainly have to live somewhere actually bad instead of just somewhere Californians and Jersey ppl hadn't heard of though

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

buddy i don’t even make 100k posts per year

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

General posting strike until demands are met!!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

We're DINK in Albuquerque and housing prices went so loving insane that with a combined income just shy of $100k we're still having trouble making ends meet living in a tiny rear end apartment in a rowhouse in the ghetto. Granted, we had a lot of car issues to fix (also dudes breaking into my truck through the door cylinder then coring out the ignition with a screwdriver at work) and stupid poo poo like that. Should be better this next year, but I am getting laid off in about 35 days and I'm going to have to be real aggressive about pay because everyone is still trying to start people with 10 years manufacturing experience at $35k because it's "cheap to live here."

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Inzombiac posted:

I'm the team lead at the Dick Sucking Factory. I don't suck the dicks myself any more but I do the final QC pass and have first-level supervisory duties (performance evaluations, restocking the snack table.)

The hours are long, we go through mops like crazy but demand is only getting higher.

My last job was 50 hours a week at the dick sucking factory working on the production floor. I got an incurable disease which they fired me for. For this i had been earning the princely sum of 35k / year

it was actually a boat builder and i got emphysema at the age of 40, thanks in part to the vast amount of fiberglass dust i had been inhaling. It is severe enough to be disabling and as a result of losing that income i became homeless right before the covid lockdowns so it wasn't worth the 35k imo

So in summation 100k is in fact a life- altering fortune and 100k per year is an unattainable dream.

E:

MrQwerty posted:

trying to start people with 10 years manufacturing experience at $35k because it's "cheap to live here."

Lol my 35k was the top end for my position. 3 months as a temp for $12 an hour and then another year from your hire date to max out at $17 for the most difficult and least desirable job on the floor.

If you didn't want to be covered from from head-to-toe in fiberglass dust so thick that it looked like the heath ledger joker makeup that's no problem, there are a thousand other fools falling over themselves to take your place and someone else would be in there before the end of the day

titties fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 9, 2023

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

op is a lazy terrible troll

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Colonel Cancer posted:

Anything above an empty bowl and some rice is enormous and needless

"Everyone with more than 20 real in their pocket should be literally executed."

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the real scam is how much it costs to retire

i’ve had steady employment since the mid 2000s in tech work with decent pay for the south (not crazy west coast or big city money), have no kids, and for many years now have been able to save and invest (passively) at least half my income. i feel like i should be really far ahead, but every time i run the math at how much it will likely cost to retire and pay for healthcare and housing and have a decent safety margin against inflation, i come to the conclusion that it will probably be impossible until i’m eligible for medicare around the normal retirement age anyway.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Bad Purchase posted:

the real scam is how much it costs to retire

i’ve had steady employment since the mid 2000s in tech work with decent pay for the south (not crazy west coast or big city money), have no kids, and for many years now have been able to save and invest (passively) at least half my income. i feel like i should be really far ahead, but every time i run the math at how much it will likely cost to retire and pay for healthcare and housing and have a decent safety margin against inflation, i come to the conclusion that it will probably be impossible until i’m eligible for medicare around the normal retirement age anyway.

Saving will get me nowhere. I literally have to get rich or I will kill myself from doing excel sheets for forty years and having nothing to show for it but more bills.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My plan is to win the powerball.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

kntfkr posted:

My plan is to win the powerball.

i believe you can do it

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
thanks man

:thanks:

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

OP is the IRS. I won't tell you what i make on my tax forms and i won't tell you what I make by posting about it. Nice try, Joe Brandon.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hallo in Germany you are in the top 1% of fulltime employed people if you have a gross income of $100k I don't know how far is in the top 1% because the calculator doesn't show anything below 1% because the developer did not consider that rich people would ever use it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I thought it was huge and I'd be rich. Until me and my wife combined hit 150K and still didn't have money to throw around. I didn't start feeling like I didn't need to worry until our household hit 300K a year AND our loans were all paid off. Having a car payment and a few CCs, $150 in groceries a week and general mortgage / utilities is enough to mean 100K is not that much money.

And I'm not bragging or anything or trying to spin the yahoo news bullshit. But if your making 50K a year I don't understand how you can survive without borrowing heavily for anything unexpected. It's loving sad.

I got raises etc and self raises during the growth of the company. Even then I had no money. Because I was going out to eat 2 meals a day and spending every dollar I had.

I had to seriously cut back on waste and eating out to the point where we both are like ugh $70 a piece for sushi in Valentine's day???? How can we justify this?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 9, 2023

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
I make $50k in a high cost of living area and I feel like I'm making a decent amount. I'm pretty bad with money and spend a ton on frivolous things but I still manage to save at least 10%. Maybe I need to be saving more?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

MrQwerty posted:

We're DINK in Albuquerque and housing prices went so loving insane that with a combined income just shy of $100k we're still having trouble making ends meet living in a tiny rear end apartment in a rowhouse in the ghetto. Granted, we had a lot of car issues to fix (also dudes breaking into my truck through the door cylinder then coring out the ignition with a screwdriver at work) and stupid poo poo like that. Should be better this next year, but I am getting laid off in about 35 days and I'm going to have to be real aggressive about pay because everyone is still trying to start people with 10 years manufacturing experience at $35k because it's "cheap to live here."

I'm not a doubter but if $100k is like $6000 a month after taxes so are you paying like $5000 for rent and only have $1000 a month to split between two people? How is that even possible? On Zillow most newer 3br/2ba apartments in decent areas are like $1500-$2000 a month.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's the "I'm making 300K and simply can't afford the basic living expenses" meme

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Lemon Trees posted:

I make $50k in a high cost of living area and I feel like I'm making a decent amount. I'm pretty bad with money and spend a ton on frivolous things but I still manage to save at least 10%. Maybe I need to be saving more?

Unless you’re also budgeting for retirement investment as a separate percentage, yes you should be saving more. It’s insane and almost untenable for most people but you should save like 25% of your income no matter what.

Have at least 6 months of expenses saved up and start investing heavily if you can

I’m very lucky that my partner is thrifty and making a budget likely saved our relationship and made the possibility of retirement somewhat realistic

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
My dream is to make 100k eventually. We currently make about that much together and that is the amount we need to not stress

And we still rent, only have 1 car, and have lovely investments

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's a lot of money for sure and if it wasn't for how batshit insane cost of living (especially rent) has got here in Canada you'd be set for life.

However a bit of math has $100k a year putting you firmly in the "Can comfortably rent a one bedroom apartment on your own in a major city but not much more than that" category here. You sure as hell ain't buying a home on that.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I make 100k and its enough to make double payments on a house in a major american city so the answer is yes

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I thought it was huge and I'd be rich. Until me and my wife combined hit 150K and still didn't have money to throw around. I didn't start feeling like I didn't need to worry until our household hit 300K a year AND our loans were all paid off. Having a car payment and a few CCs, $150 in groceries a week and general mortgage / utilities is enough to mean 100K is not that much money.

And I'm not bragging or anything or trying to spin the yahoo news bullshit. But if your making 50K a year I don't understand how you can survive without borrowing heavily for anything unexpected. It's loving sad.

I got raises etc and self raises during the growth of the company. Even then I had no money. Because I was going out to eat 2 meals a day and spending every dollar I had.

I had to seriously cut back on waste and eating out to the point where we both are like ugh $70 a piece for sushi in Valentine's day???? How can we justify this?

Bro if you cannot thrive on 300K, even with kids, you must be terminally bad with money. Maybe stop buying a new truck every year or whatever. Jfc.

I live in a high COL city, have had the same reliable car for about 8 years and almost never go out to eat. I honestly cannot fathom how you could spend so much money every month unless you're wiping your rear end with emeralds.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's a lot of money for sure and if it wasn't for how batshit insane cost of living (especially rent) has got here in Canada you'd be set for life.

However a bit of math has $100k a year putting you firmly in the "Can comfortably rent a one bedroom apartment on your own in a major city but not much more than that" category here. You sure as hell ain't buying a home on that.

depends on your lifestyle but i live in a major city in canada, single with 2 kids and my household expenses are 3,600 a month. i own 3 cars and have a comfortable lifestyle. if i made 100k/year that's a 25k/year surplus above my current expenses after taxes. that's home buyer money for sure.

e: not toronto lol

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 9, 2023

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
you cant live comfortably in my city if you make less than 100k so no

id need to make 3-4 times that to buy here

everything owns so much haha

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I live in Texas and my partner and I have just barely gotten to the 50 to 60k point through raises and my contract work and after ten years in this house we have finally been able to say enough for maybe five months expenses. Kids cost a lot! The MIT living wage calculator for our area says if you want to afford three kids and not need assistance of some kind you need to make just shy of 100k, and not a single job sector in our area actually hits that on average.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So yeah, where I live 100k is a lot.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

We make around 190k € together (no kids), which is quite comfortable for Germany. We're not at the point where we don't have to worry about money at all, but close to it. We save/invest around 25% (mainly in gold and historical relics) and the rest is spent on rent, car payments, utilities, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I specifically said now that we have a household of 300K we don't worry about money. But when we were at 100K household it was a struggle. I live in Sonoma county CA where the avg 1 bdr is 1800+ a month.

I don't buy cars or fancy poo poo for the most part. Unless I'm ruined high and really want that (Insert stupid poo poo here)

We still keep our pockets tight and don't go out much at all unless I'm putting it on the company CC. I'm super good with money...now but for a long time I was spending every dollar I got as soon as I got it.