Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

just for the mechanics of taping a thumb:

1) Put 2 or 3 wraps around your wrist. Don't just spin the roll around - tear off a piece and put it around one piece at a time so it goes flat against your skin, so 3 wraps -> 3 pieces.

2) Put 2 or 3 wraps around the thumb above the injured joint, ditto for using multiple pieces.

3) With the thumb in a relaxed and non-sore position, put 2 or 3 strips down the length of the thumb on the side opposite the painful motion, making sure to cross the injured joint, connecting wraps 1 and 2 above. This should restrict the movement of the joint to prevent it from getting to where it hurts. If I'm reading your post correctly, that extension hurts, this will probably involve putting tape in a spiral down the thumb, between the thumb and index finger, and across the palm to connect to the inner wrist.

4) Put 1 or 2 wraps around wraps 1 and 2 to lock the tape in place.

e. 5) Optionally put a few more pieces to enclose any exposed triangles.

Don't tape the thumb such that it's restricted from closing against the palm, because that could result in it getting jammed again. Never ever tape so that a digit is forced into isolation. If you can stand it, consider just buddy taping your thumb to your palm for training.

e. for emphasis - if you're taping any digits, never ever buddy tape the middle and ring finger together so that the pinky and/or index finger are isolated, and never ever tape your hand in such a way that your thumb cannot freely come to your hand. Pinky to ring, middle to index, make sure you can close your thumb to index.

This is great taping advice, thank you!

I did something like this last night, and didn’t have any issues. I appreciate the threads concern, but it’s a very minor strain that hasn’t bothered me at all off the mats.

Although last night was gi, which i never do, so i learned to my horror that straight wrestling is easily countered by seemingly indestructible collar grips. I left with a bunch of hickeys from getting choked with my own drat clothes. Got my first taps using a straight ankle lock and an armbar from tactical mount though :boom:

https://youtu.be/BPCf_XqjmMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Not consciously but as I've gotten better with the various front strangles and leg locks I've had a couple people point out how many times I tapped them in a round. I'm just taking what's given and when you're new ... There's a lot.

Im conciously thinking about it because Im actively thinking about the submissions Im trying to catch and usually get (arm bars, some side control chokes) and the ones that I need to work on (North South, guillotines, neckties).

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Friends, I have dishonored my family. I had my adversary in a very oppressive straight ankle lock that I won by way of a hard scramble. The arch of my topside foot cramped so badly that I tapped myself at the same time as my wily enemy tapped to my might.

What is the proper protocol here? Am I to be cast out into the wild or should I simply commit harry carey in front of the dojo and hope my sensei takes my head?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

knuthgrush posted:

Friends, I have dishonored my family. I had my adversary in a very oppressive straight ankle lock that I won by way of a hard scramble. The arch of my topside foot cramped so badly that I tapped myself at the same time as my wily enemy tapped to my might.

Let they who has not chased a submission into a gnarly cramp cast the first stone.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Defenestrategy posted:

Let they who has not chased a submission into a gnarly cramp cast the first stone.

:hmmyes:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

At least I got the tap, even if I got laughed at.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

knuthgrush posted:

best outcome of all when rolling imo. just gotta own it from now on: every time you go for the ankle lock go "come on my foot's cramping!!!" etc.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

knuthgrush posted:

Yea, it's only stupid to chase a submission into a cramp if you don't actually get the sub

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

knuthgrush posted:

What is the proper protocol here? Am I to be cast out into the wild or should I simply commit harry carey in front of the dojo and hope my sensei takes my head?

I mean, I've kneebar'd a dude on the only day I didn't bring my cup and... Egg pressed myself real good chasing a tap.

I got the tap. And then I had to lie there a bit.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Legit Businessman posted:

I mean, I've kneebar'd a dude on the only day I didn't bring my cup and... Egg pressed myself real good chasing a tap.

Same but calf crusher.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Ow, my balls!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

whats for dinner posted:

best outcome of all when rolling imo. just gotta own it from now on: every time you go for the ankle lock go "come on my foot's cramping!!!" etc.

Misdirection is the best jiujitsu

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Haha egg press is a good name for it

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The best time to eat a banana is an hour or two before class, the second best time is after you cramp up.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Was gonna make the same anecdote about white belt me and an arm bar. Duuuuuumb.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Wait, you guys are wearing cups?

Now I'm wondering if I'm the weirdo for not wearing one

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Some guys at my gym who have fights coming up will roll in both cups and mma gloves. I don't mind the soft cups but it strains my patience to have a hard cup forced against my spine in back control.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 8, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Nobody at my mostly sport-focused gym wears a cup. I'd think it weird if someone told me they did.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Our gym is mostly cup free. A few people wear them occasionally but for my own part I just got sick of the extra step in laundry and in getting ready.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Lachlan Giles has a seminar in LA on the 18th. If any GrappleGoons are in the area and are interested, check out his Insta profile for more info. I'm going. My leglock game needs help.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

No cup here, we have a couple of guys who wear a hard cup. It's.... quite annoying sometimes.

Edit: Getting real tempted to hop on the cheapest flight possible to LA on the 18th.

FiestaDePantalones fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 8, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dear grapple friends, do you actually get anything educational out of doing seminars? Not hating or whatever, just curious, I've been to a few seminars from super high level dudes and while they're sometimes entertaining I don't feel like I ever really get anything from them.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

It's cup free where I train, mostly a sport bjj and mma org. We wear cups when kickboxing or doing mma but not in bjj. I'd find it weird if someone did. I've been told they're illegal in tournaments but I never followed up on it. Something about using it offensively.

The handful of seminars I've been to have all been useful even if I just take away a small detail. I try to focus as much as possible during drilling at the seminars. It's usually more "serious" people present than our usual classes so it's less social and easier to do that.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Dear grapple friends, do you actually get anything educational out of doing seminars? Not hating or whatever, just curious, I've been to a few seminars from super high level dudes and while they're sometimes entertaining I don't feel like I ever really get anything from them.

I feel its important not to try and swallow everything you see at a seminar. For example, hes going to go over choi bars which is something I already do and I setup from the mount position when they bridge. What I am interested in is little details that I might integrate into my game that might address some of the issues I have. Its important to go into these things with a few questions pre-loaded on the content they are covering. Ask them during question and answer sessions. Thats what hes there for. I see sometimes during seminars people ask really really dumb quesitons that have nothing to do with the content they cover and the reaction is always kind of "ok....". Saw this when Craig Jones visited Legion down here in SoCal.

Ill have some questions regarding leg locks and the choi bar. Already have a couple in mind.

Also sent him a PM if I can record. Note sure if Lachlan is cool with that or not, best to find out ahead of time.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 8, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

Not really no.

I mean, I get something, sure. But I get something from asking my regular instructors, from watching instructionals, and from dedicated problem-solving time with people my own level.

Like, I'm so bad at BJJ that there's something new to learn or some detail to improve on every class I go to. So why should I pay 100 bucks to take a lesson with 60 other people?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Depends on the seminar really. The last seminar I went to was probably the best one I've been to.
Completely fixed my north south choke.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

You know, if I knew the topic of the seminar beforehand and it was something I've already been working on then yeah, I might go then.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Seminars are good at showing you details or variations of something you already do, but bad at teaching you things from whole cloth. The worst is when it's a barrage of wild poo poo and you're fumbling through it like you've shown up unprepared for an exam.

Like, my teacher's teacher taught a seminar once and I used his extremely elaborate single leg X to a ... Standing ankle pick from the rear(?? About zero loving times, because it's got like eight steps and it's not even a position I use and it felt like trying to remember my lines in a school play. Meanwhile his throwaway remark about hooking the head when someone you've mounted tries to bridge - which is only something I even heard because I was helping with the kid's class he taught - was much more useful because a dumb blue belt needs tips on keeping fundamental positions, not weird exotic complicated stuff.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I find them worthless unless its someone I want to get a picture with.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Count Roland posted:

Not really no.

I mean, I get something, sure. But I get something from asking my regular instructors, from watching instructionals, and from dedicated problem-solving time with people my own level.

Like, I'm so bad at BJJ that there's something new to learn or some detail to improve on every class I go to. So why should I pay 100 bucks to take a lesson with 60 other people?

I agree with this. I think you can get something from a seminar, but watching an instructional for the details on something you're already trying to improve is usually a way better return on your time investment.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm planning on attending the Lachlan seminar in MIA.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Like others, I get more out of it if its a technique or position I already am familiar with.

In this case, I play k-guard as my primary open guard and use the shoulder crunch w/ the option of the choi bar if I do get stuck in closed guard or they're playing in a way that doesn't allow me to get to 70/30 or 50/50.

I would say about 70% of my bottom game progression in the last 2 years has been from Lachlan instructionals, so I am seriously considering flying for longer than the actual seminar to attend it.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Seminars are good at showing you details or variations of something you already do, but bad at teaching you things from whole cloth. The worst is when it's a barrage of wild poo poo and you're fumbling through it like you've shown up unprepared for an exam.

Like, my teacher's teacher taught a seminar once and I used his extremely elaborate single leg X to a ... Standing ankle pick from the rear(?? About zero loving times, because it's got like eight steps and it's not even a position I use and it felt like trying to remember my lines in a school play. Meanwhile his throwaway remark about hooking the head when someone you've mounted tries to bridge - which is only something I even heard because I was helping with the kid's class he taught - was much more useful because a dumb blue belt needs tips on keeping fundamental positions, not weird exotic complicated stuff.

Yeah, pretty much this. It needs to be something that a) they're *really* good at, like have won major competitions with; b) you're familiar enough with to do it to white belts; and c) they also need to be a good teacher.

I've also gotten some huge light-bulb moments from throwaway comments like the one you mentioned, but you can also get those by just dropping in at other gyms' open mats and having friendly rolls with the upper belts there.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Defenestrategy posted:

Dear grapple friends, do you actually get anything educational out of doing seminars?

Yes, but my expectations are really low. Progressing in BJJ seems really hard and even small steps are welcome at this stage. If I get just one technique or just one hint to do a technique better, the seminar has been worth the money. You cannot absorb every detail out of a weekend's seminar. One thing is good enough. Two is above expectations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’ve taken a lot of accidental shins to the balls that i’ve considered looking for a soft style cup, or even just wearing bike shorts under my spats.

I was rolling with a guy who used to come to my gym, and felt something hard between his legs when we were in half guard. i worried he might have gotten a little over excited before I realized it was a cup

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I'm planning on attending the Lachlan seminar in MIA.

PM me if you wanna be among friends, i wanna go and drag waroduce along

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How rare is it to get big throws in randori? Stuff like osoto, ogoshi, seoinage. Like im starting to flesh out a game but it seems that stuff that seems to have a high percentage for me atleast are foot/leg attacks like ouchi/kouchi/sasae

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Defenestrategy posted:

How rare is it to get big throws in randori? Stuff like osoto, ogoshi, seoinage. Like im starting to flesh out a game but it seems that stuff that seems to have a high percentage for me atleast are foot/leg attacks like ouchi/kouchi/sasae

It happens, but it is really hard to get someone with a big classic throw when they (should) know what's coming and have a defensive game built around that ingrained in them. Drop seoi and ashiwaza are much trickier and harder to defend against through grips.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

it really depends on the vibe of randori in your place. We tend to like to go light, which means that we don't defend throws hard, so the big throws happen but they tend to be softer landings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Also sent him a PM if I can record. Note sure if Lachlan is cool with that or not, best to find out ahead of time.

I've been to a few of his seminars and his rule was "You can't record while I'm teaching, but at the end of the seminar I'll do a quick recap, and you're welcome to film that part."