Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Hopper posted:

Love the phone box, it will fit nicely into my Lego London collection.

While I get why you may say it seems bland, I think you underestimate how iconic the phone boxes are to tourists. Lego probably made a good choice, this might become a very popular set all across Europe.

oh for sure it'll be a money maker that sits in UK lego stores forever. iirc the london bridge is one of the longest lasting sets probably in no part because they needed to make sure they had it stocked at the UK locations.

but its a set they could've just done internally. there's no shortage of london/UK stuff they've released. same thing with new york stuff. ideas sets should be a little more creative than this, they already have enough stuff to appeal to the mass market locations and can whip some of them up if need be.

they could make a USC British Sink that has individual taps for cold and hot water. or an architecture set for a sign claiming that it is out of order.

failing all of that, i think some cobblestone street set in the vein of the 60304 road plates would actually be pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Speaking of knock-offs. Do knock-off 9V train rails exist? I want to pick up some more rails for my old train, but hoo boy are they expensive.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

shut up blegum posted:

Speaking of knock-offs. Do knock-off 9V train rails exist? I want to pick up some more rails for my old train, but hoo boy are they expensive.

There's a company called Fx Bricks that makes that style of track, think they make parts that LEGO never did too.
No idea if they're actually any good though.

https://shop.fxbricks.com/pages/fx-track

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Borsche69 posted:

oh for sure it'll be a money maker that sits in UK lego stores forever. iirc the london bridge is one of the longest lasting sets probably in no part because they needed to make sure they had it stocked at the UK locations.

but its a set they could've just done internally. there's no shortage of london/UK stuff they've released. same thing with new york stuff. ideas sets should be a little more creative than this, they already have enough stuff to appeal to the mass market locations and can whip some of them up if need be.

Spot on. The set looks great and will certainly sell. Toss it in one of those newfangled Lego vending machines in Heathrow and print some stacks of money. Talk about an enormous waste of an Ideas slot. Shame, really.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
London Gatwick airport has a Lego shop airside in the terminal. That’s going to be a great seller there.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

The roof of that phone box definitely needs some work doing, it looks really wrong.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Veotax posted:

There's a company called Fx Bricks that makes that style of track, think they make parts that LEGO never did too.

Wow, they're even more expensive than the ones on bricklink. Also sold out apparently.
Thanks anyway!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Veotax posted:

Perfect for a lego railroad. Track, lights, microcontrollers, and uh... an anesthesia machine?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

HootTheOwl posted:

Perfect for a lego railroad. Track, lights, microcontrollers, and uh... an anesthesia machine?

The perfect gift for your favorite gas-passer

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

shut up blegum posted:

The off-brand solutions like FX Bricks are even more expensive than buying used Lego track. The true knockoff solution people do is just putting copper tape over the rails on regular Lego track.

What I do though is just have 9V trains constantly turning everywhere because it's the straight track that's so expensive. If you wiggle to one side then come back then after 4 pieces it's kind of like going straight?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Clarence posted:

The roof of that phone box definitely needs some work doing, it looks really wrong.

Hopefully they’ll fix it in the production redesign

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

BaconCopter posted:

Spot on. The set looks great and will certainly sell. Toss it in one of those newfangled Lego vending machines in Heathrow and print some stacks of money. Talk about an enormous waste of an Ideas slot. Shame, really.

I found the small architecture Big Ben a year after it retired for retail price in Heathrow giftshop by pure chance. Never thought I'd be able to find it and had accepted it would forever be missing from my collection.

Agreed though, they should have just released more London stuff on their own. There are many things they could do: a classic taxi in various sizes, mid size tower bridge, maybe Marble arch, or wallart in the form of a city map... or just release a 4 pack of minfigs "Changing of the guard" with some fence section. Those would sell like hot cakes. They even had a guard in a collectible pack once iirc.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm still annoyed that the tube-station didn't make it through the review process

Testro
May 2, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm still annoyed that the tube-station didn't make it through the review process

Same - I thought that was a great looking build.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

definitely one of hte cooler sets. i think you could even scale it down and do something similar to the Skyline sets where you have underground rail from cities around the world - London/Tokyo/New York/Paris/Moscow/Sao Paolo etc.

somethign in the style of this cute MOC i saw of the dutch countryside, but underground i guess? or include all metros. pr keep it at the current scale and just expand it to include more cities. idk

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

davebo posted:

The true knockoff solution people do is just putting copper tape over the rails on regular Lego track.
:monocle:
Huh, that's a good idea actually. Gonna test it out.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Borsche69 posted:

definitely one of hte cooler sets. i think you could even scale it down and do something similar to the Skyline sets where you have underground rail from cities around the world - London/Tokyo/New York/Paris/Moscow/Sao Paolo etc.

somethign in the style of this cute MOC i saw of the dutch countryside, but underground i guess? or include all metros. pr keep it at the current scale and just expand it to include more cities. idk

That yellow and blue Dutch Koploper there is absolutely adorable! :v:

It's amazing how even at such small scale it's obvious what it's supposed to be if you've seen the real-life train:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I was kinda waffling on the A-frame but my wife noticed it and made a comment so that plus double vip I got that, the piñata, and some pick a brick

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I crazy for thinking that whoever did this SW episode 7 concept art was using Lego as their reference material in some capacity? There's just too many little things that look like barely altered lego parts going on here :tinfoil:

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I actually like that Nightmare Before Christmas idea, I'll be curious to see how they design it to make sure the tower has enough stability.

I noticed that a Polaroid was in that same batch, am I imagining things or was there not a Polaroid set of some kind that made it through recently?

Nah, there was also an actual Polaroid model that reached 10k on Ideas

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/84ba757b-c280-4fc5-bb79-e2c856b43f48

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that whoever did this SW episode 7 concept art was using Lego as their reference material in some capacity?

Definitely a lot of wedges and slopes.

Edit: and those antennas for sure.

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 10, 2023

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Yeah, that's the one I remember. I guess I thought it had already been approved as a real set, my wife collects old polaroids and would have loved that one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gotta love LEGO having a 6+ GWP during Double VIP but the good GWP is next week.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Where is the gwp schedule again?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

veni veni veni posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that whoever did this SW episode 7 concept art was using Lego as their reference material in some capacity? There's just too many little things that look like barely altered lego parts going on here :tinfoil:

Owns

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah, that's the one I remember. I guess I thought it had already been approved as a real set, my wife collects old polaroids and would have loved that one.
If you gently caress with BrickLink, this one's fun:

https://bricknerd.com/home/instructions-to-build-a-polaroid-camera-1-11-23

The 6 x 6 tile slides out and you can use a sticker or a printed one if you want, and you can look through the viewfinder.

I ordered and built it to go along with the Vintage Camera VIP reward and a Chris McVeigh camera I have in my li'l display. We don't typically publish who specifically among the staff designs these models since they're just credited to BrickNerd in general, but I can tell you this one was by a LEGO set designer!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Waltzing Along posted:

Gotta love LEGO having a 6+ GWP during Double VIP but the good GWP is next week.

Like the freebie that was out when they released Optimus Prime, maybe some people would like it, but I don't think it's even fit to gift to my young relatives so it'll stay in its box (which I guess is fitting since it's some kind of child playing with box set).

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

If you gently caress with BrickLink, this one's fun:

https://bricknerd.com/home/instructions-to-build-a-polaroid-camera-1-11-23

The 6 x 6 tile slides out and you can use a sticker or a printed one if you want, and you can look through the viewfinder.

I ordered and built it to go along with the Vintage Camera VIP reward and a Chris McVeigh camera I have in my li'l display. We don't typically publish who specifically among the staff designs these models since they're just credited to BrickNerd in general, but I can tell you this one was by a LEGO set designer!

You wouldn't happen to have a list already imported into bricklink or rebrickable?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

refleks posted:

You wouldn't happen to have a list already imported into bricklink or rebrickable?
Sure

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wFyBW2qtU8t6TR_miEfRpuP6OFMN_5EL/view?usp=sharing

Just go to BrickLink, Want -> Upload, and use this

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

Like the freebie that was out when they released Optimus Prime, maybe some people would like it, but I don't think it's even fit to gift to my young relatives so it'll stay in its box (which I guess is fitting since it's some kind of child playing with box set).

Kids love any free lego.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What are the enormous handguns in the Dutch countryside

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

How toyetic

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

they are enormous handguns. its to keep the germans out if they try and start poo poo again

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Maybe either levies or canal elevators? Or just cranes for loading things?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Cranes is the most logical answer, I guess, but they're not actually something you'd see like that.

Cool idea though, I might recreate something like that if I get around to it because that scenario was a daily occurrence for like half my life.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Taeke posted:

Cranes is the most logical answer, I guess, but they're not actually something you'd see like that.

Cool idea though, I might recreate something like that if I get around to it because that scenario was a daily occurrence for like half my life.

same, I also like micro MOCs a lot just because they're more easily attainable goals

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

It's my niece's birthday in a week.
She'll be 5 years old, and she hates instructions.
So I got her this:

She'll "wuv" it.
And because I'm a man-child and probably won't be able to stop myself from opening it up before her party, I also got this:

I'm gonna wrap her present, then build that. I'll keep you updated, yo.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

It's my niece's birthday in a week.
She'll be 5 years old, and she hates instructions.
So I got her this:

She'll "wuv" it.
And because I'm a man-child and probably won't be able to stop myself from opening it up before her party, I also got this:

I'm gonna wrap her present, then build that. I'll keep you updated, yo.

Thats a great present. I tried getting my daughter who is now 7 into sets around that age and she just would get bored and want to build houses for her minifigs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The fett ship uses these pin shooters which ssuck so I ended up just putting the handles into the holes instead of making them shooty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also I have the micro razor crest too and it's fun to have them chase each other because the minifigs have pistols