Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
My wife and I are looking into getting our first FDM printer. We already have a Saturn 2 and Mars 3 that we use for higher detail printing like minis. This is going to be used for general purpose printing where resin shouldn't be used, or doesn't make sense to use.

If I wanted something in the ~$300 range, with great aftermarket support/upgradability, would I be looking at something like a Ender 3 of some sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

For a hundred bux with a nearby microcenter yeah go for the ender throw out most of it and replace it with good parts.

The current hotness is the sovol svo6 or the anycubic kobra series.

Highly recommend buying either on Amazon so you get Amazon customer service should you lose the QC lottery.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

tracecomplete posted:

- Do you want a bigger bed? Buy an Elegoo Neptune 3 Plus, or wait a little while, just saying.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well shiver my timbers, someone's being mysterious :allears:

https://all3dp.com/4/sovol-is-sneaking-out-a-plus-sized-sv06-very-soon/

Rumors on the internet are like a $300 price point, which, uh. :dogstare:

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Rye Bread posted:

My wife and I are looking into getting our first FDM printer. We already have a Saturn 2 and Mars 3 that we use for higher detail printing like minis. This is going to be used for general purpose printing where resin shouldn't be used, or doesn't make sense to use.

If I wanted something in the ~$300 range, with great aftermarket support/upgradability, would I be looking at something like a Ender 3 of some sort?

You should get a neptune 3 pro, anycubic kobra as mentioned above or if you want a near prusa mk3s clone the sv06. I don't have any of these so I can't speak personally for them, but reviews are generally all very positive for them!

I think getting an ender just isn't quite worth it at this point when you compare the features and quality of their competitors. You will absolutely end up spending 100-200 dollars minimum just to get the same features and quality of life improvements unless you go with an ender 3 s1... which is also more expensive than your budget.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Yeah, I'm still generally happy with my Ender-3 S1 at the price I got it for (about $300), but if I was buying another printer in the same price range now I would get the Sovol SV06 instead

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

The Chairman posted:

Yeah, I'm still generally happy with my Ender-3 S1 at the price I got it for (about $300), but if I was buying another printer in the same price range now I would get the Sovol SV06 instead

Yeah, I wanted to get the Neptune 3 Pro, but it was constantly out of stock when I was looking for it, so I got the Ender 3 S1 for about the same price as the Neptune.

I’m happy with it as my first printer/tinkering project, but it’s also got me thinking about getting a higher end printer like one of the Bambu models once I have space for multiple printers.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Ah nice good to know you can find them for 300 now, I thought they were like 350. So I guess that's one other option as the sprite extruder is supposedly pretty great which is what comes on the ender 3 s1 and s1 pro.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So I tried out the Resione TH72 flexible resin. Shore hardness is ~72, hence the name, and to the touch it actually feels more rigid than TPU at 95. Printed beautifully and is pretty flexible, but I need to make the wall (it's a truncated cone shape I'm working on) thinner. Just need to figure out how thin I can get away with and maintain the structure while maximizing the flexibility.

I also have some Sunlu ABS coming (sorry, Canadians) tomorrow for some low-stress functional part testing. And my wash & cure comes tomorrow, too. Now I just need to totally rearrange my craft area.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

AlexDeGruven posted:

Shore hardness is ~72, hence the name, and to the touch it actually feels more rigid than TPU at 95.

There are multiple shore hardness scales, usually A or D, of which D is harder than A

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've found this super handy:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ooh, that's nice.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Opinionated posted:

Ah nice good to know you can find them for 300 now, I thought they were like 350. So I guess that's one other option as the sprite extruder is supposedly pretty great which is what comes on the ender 3 s1 and s1 pro.
I like my S1Pro but I ordered a Voron Trident kit and pif, they'll be here to get started on it this weekend. Hopefully

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

BMan posted:

There are multiple shore hardness scales, usually A or D, of which D is harder than A

The Eyes Have It posted:

I've found this super handy:

Why do we do this to ourselves

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Unperson_47 posted:

I assume it was the English.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Do any online 3D printing services/brokers do Markforged continuous carbon fiber?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

Because the range of material hardnesses is vast. A force that is enough to punch a hole clean through a soft silicone gel wouldn't even make a mark on a truck tire. In order to get a useful reading you need to reconfigure your testing equipment for the range of hardnesses you're looking at, and rather than trying to calibrate one configuration against another, it's easier to just call each one a different scale.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I'll say up front, this is just a bit of a rant and I'm a dumb for not reading more closely and creating a user error issue, but is it just me or is Prusaslicer just a bit too loving smart for its own good sometimes with the sheer number of settings, with mutliple ways they can be set or derived.. but then also kind of dumb in some ways, like not warning of bad settings based on changes to other parameters, or just dynamically changing them to keep things equivalent?

I've been chasing down an annoying first layer extreme underextrusion issue with an 0.8mm nozzle, and have just realised it's because the 200% first layer width multiplier which was set (I think by default but who knows at this point) is based on the first layer height, which is 0.2mm, which means it's trying to extrude an 0.4mm line, which works fine with an 0.4mm nozzle, but doesn't work with this one. You'd almost expect the software to dynamically change the first layer width multiplier, or at least flag that that setting is not going to give a usable result?

Rant over.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 9, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ryanrs posted:

Do any online 3D printing services/brokers do Markforged continuous carbon fiber?

Looks like these guys will fire out a quote. I thought Xometry did as well, but no dice:

https://facfox.com/materials/fdm-continuous-carbon-fiber/

I know a few folks with Mark Two’s so if you’re looking for additional quotes after that I can poke around for you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I think I might have hit the sweet spot with the TH72. 0.5mm wall prints great, adheres to the platform with no issues, and has what feels like close to the same flexibility, though still noticeably stiffer, as its vase-mode TPU counterpart.

Now I just need to torture-test it and see if it's AT LEAST as strong as the FDM equivalent.

There's also some rubber-like resins out there I want to try out that might give even more flexibility.

poo poo's fun.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Looks like these guys will fire out a quote. I thought Xometry did as well, but no dice:

https://facfox.com/materials/fdm-continuous-carbon-fiber/

I know a few folks with Mark Two’s so if you’re looking for additional quotes after that I can poke around for you.

Thanks!

BTW, how is anisotropy expressed in design files? Is this a regular thing, yet?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol i figured out my weird wiggly resin prints issue. revel in my stupidity.

so yeah when you print in a cold garage in an enclosure with a heater, dont be lazy and not put the lid on your printer and have the ceramic heater facing the open resin vat, when it kicks on every 15-20 mins it blows hot air right over your resin prints and they get all rubbery and jelly like. turned the heater away, printed with the lid on, perfect print.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
My Neptune 3 Plus is finally on the way and I need some bulk filament for printing giant trinkets. Is the IIIDmax PLA+ any good for the 11.99 price point?

E: 11.40 price point after coupon

Bodanarko fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 10, 2023

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

queeb posted:

lol i figured out my weird wiggly resin prints issue. revel in my stupidity.

so yeah when you print in a cold garage in an enclosure with a heater, dont be lazy and not put the lid on your printer and have the ceramic heater facing the open resin vat, when it kicks on every 15-20 mins it blows hot air right over your resin prints and they get all rubbery and jelly like. turned the heater away, printed with the lid on, perfect print.

look into fermentation bands, or some equivalent vat heater

printing resin in a cold garage is gonna be a nightmare no matter what, but maybe something like that would minimize your issues a bit.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Bodanarko posted:

My Neptune 3 Plus is finally on the way and I need some bulk filament for printing giant trinkets. Is the IIIDmax PLA+ any good for the 11.99 price point?

I've been slowly working through the ten-pack I bought in December and all the colors I've tried so far have been fine. My only issue with it is that the filament is spooled a little messily, but so far it hasn't snagged on the reel.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bodanarko posted:

I bought a 10-pack of their filament and printed the Neptune 2 "Buddha" model with each color without any problems. I also printed some parts for my lathe using their flourescent yellow and was impressed by the fit and precision of the prints. I turned the bed temp up to 70C to help with adhesion, but that may have only been necessary because my basement is about 55-60F through the winter.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't had major flaws with it yet.. I've ouly used a tiny bit of 3 of the 10 colors I ordered

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I've been bouncing between the IIID Max and GST3D stuff almost exclusively for a couple of years now and don't have any real complaints to speak of. It may not be the absolute best filament on the planet, but it's definitely the best value out there right now, especially if you print a lot.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Acid Reflux posted:

I've been bouncing between the IIID Max and GST3D stuff almost exclusively for a couple of years now and don't have any real complaints to speak of. It may not be the absolute best filament on the planet, but it's definitely the best value out there right now, especially if you print a lot.

Overature Prints real nice.. but when you can get 10 rolls for 115 bux.. you cant say no for IIIDmax

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Overature Prints real nice.. but when you can get 10 rolls for 115 bux.. you cant say no for IIIDmax

Yeah I’m a slut for overture matte PLA but the price on IIDmax is too hard to resist

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Any suggestions for ABS? I've got a decent enough supply of PLA but with the Voron coming I'd like to print more ABS and I've only one roll of it.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

ilkhan posted:

Any suggestions for ABS? I've got a decent enough supply of PLA but with the Voron coming I'd like to print more ABS and I've only one roll of it.

I do like Polymaker's ABS. The parts are strong, the finish is good and the colour range is good.

I don't like eSun's ABSMax because while great when used immediately out of the bag, it is very hygroscopic absorbing water from the air quite quickly.

True ABS from eSun is fine.

For the most part, ABS is pretty boring and most filaments prints very similarly.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Bodanarko posted:

Darker colors good, lighter colors not so much. (This is true for a lot of filament brands I've tried in that budget, ~$12-14 price point.)

snail posted:

I do like Polymaker's ABS. The parts are strong, the finish is good and the colour range is good.
Reminder that Polymaker goes out of its way to sponsor gun-printing weirdos with hard-right fanbases. Which is a shame, because a lot of their stuff is really good, but gently caress that noise. I don't know of eSun platforming chuds, at least.

I've found Duramic to be an excellent replacement (and I like their Matte PLA more than either PolyTerra or Overture Matte PLA), but sadly no ABS. Really a fan of their TPU, though. And all their filament is Pantone-matched; the stuff I've used has matched really closely.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 10, 2023

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
hi, I hosed up and bought an x1c. here's my benchy, thank s for looking at it on here

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ryanrs posted:

Thanks!

BTW, how is anisotropy expressed in design files? Is this a regular thing, yet?

You know what, I have no idea! I work for a company that sells both SOLIDWORKS and 3D printers, so I am asking around. That is a crazy good question, I love it.

Are you doing this on a shop drawing or on like MBD with a STEP 242 file? Are you trying to indicate a preferred bottom face for additive manufacturing?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I don't need anything made of continuous fiber, yet. But I wanted to understand more about it in the context of high-end industrial 3D printing. I know continuous fiber printers exist, though. Maybe you just indicate what part is the bottom, and feed it through the normal slicer software, and you get what you get?

I design relatively simple parts in Solidworks, then have them made through brokers/job shops. My goal is to replace parts of my offroad minivan with custom designed parts using every manufacturing method I can get access to.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

[e] Upon a very quick bit of research after second guessing myself, apparently what I had posted here about filament is no longer available, apologies.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 11, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ryanrs posted:

I don't need anything made of continuous fiber, yet. But I wanted to understand more about it in the context of high-end industrial 3D printing. I know continuous fiber printers exist, though. Maybe you just indicate what part is the bottom, and feed it through the normal slicer software, and you get what you get?

I design relatively simple parts in Solidworks, then have them made through brokers/job shops. My goal is to replace parts of my offroad minivan with custom designed parts using every manufacturing method I can get access to.

So far, folks are just saying to annotate that in your drawing or MBD. I’ve got a reminder set for Monday morning to see if there’s A Real Answer.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone know of good, simple options for setting up a remote camera to watch stuff, that isn't Octoprint?

I want to keep an eye on my glowforge while it cuts, but the Blink camera I got is awful. Only phone apps, the feed stops every few minutes so I have to start it again.

I want something that I can view from a Windows and Mac desktop in addition to phones. Something easy to setup and manage so my partner can (that's one of the big downsides to Octoprint).

Basically a camera connected to wifi that all devices in my house have access to view from.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Chainclaw posted:

Anyone know of good, simple options for setting up a remote camera to watch stuff, that isn't Octoprint?

I want to keep an eye on my glowforge while it cuts, but the Blink camera I got is awful. Only phone apps, the feed stops every few minutes so I have to start it again.

I want something that I can view from a Windows and Mac desktop in addition to phones. Something easy to setup and manage so my partner can (that's one of the big downsides to Octoprint).

Basically a camera connected to wifi that all devices in my house have access to view from.

There are octoprint client apps with the video, it is just a standard http video stream you can view with any browser. If you’d rather spend money than hack, I’m happy with the ubiquiti cameras I use at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I use OctoAnywhere on my phone and it’s great.