Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Phanatic posted:

The USA isn't the only country that can severely gently caress up infrastructure projects:

https://www.railtech.com/all/2023/02/07/layoffs-at-adif-and-renfe-after-design-debacle-train-too-big-for-tunnels/?gdpr=accept

("Why don't they just widen the tunnels?")

tbf they hadn't actually built the trains yet so it seems kind of like the process worked as intended and the company now has to eat poo poo because they were told about this several times and ignored it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

Oh. My. God. The horrific electric/plumbing combo!!!

That should be the cover photo for the next edition of NEMA.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

kid sinister posted:

Pretty sure this is a puzzle in Myst.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kid sinister posted:

Crosspost from the interior design thread. Speaking about slipping and falling...

The medicine cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I'm pretty sure that the reason there is no panel cover is because that drain pipe would make it impossible to open.

Also, is that gas in that steel pipe over on the left?

Edit: I just realized that is an S trap. :lol:

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 10, 2023

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Nope, just someone using a galvanized fitting for potentially potable water :eng99:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

kid sinister posted:

I said motherfuck quite loudly when I scrolled down.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

MRC48B posted:

Nope, just someone using a galvanized fitting for potentially potable water :eng99:

Galvanized fittings are perfectly fine for potable water, the problem is that it's in connection with what appears to be copper fittings which is going to make the whole thing rust at lightning speed, plus, though it's hard to tell with the state of things, I think some of it may be plain black iron fittings which you're only supposed to use for central water heating with its largely oxygen-exhausted water.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/fallenigloos/status/1623909424892092416

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My attic has one single 2x6 like this at the end of the ridge beam. I'm assuming it's left over bracing from when they first built it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It is, because a ridge beam is not a vertical structural component - it's simply the tie for the tops of your roof joists.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:sickos:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just look at the color of the liquid you're dispensing, dumbass

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sagebrush posted:

Just look at the color of the liquid you're dispensing, dumbass

Correct. However I really hate having to get back out from under the car to grab the other one.

Also there's a purple but it's lower strength than blue.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I see a heatgun and much suffering in that guy's future

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Gotta admit that is pretty lovely packaging even if you should be able to tell when you dispense

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
All loctite is in red packaging and permatex in blue. The strength is written in it's corresponding color on both. The problem was buying two different brands and being unlucky enough that the dominant package color for each was backwards.

It's a dumb mistake to make, but we've all made dumber mistakes.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Yeah I lived somewhere that had this and it was v. Disconcerting when I first squinted at it and went "hang on, those supports aren't properly attached".

Also one part of the roof truss seemed to be supported on a bunch of wood shimmed into a bit of brickwork on the end wall, which was itself a complete state, so good job the truss was sound I guess.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My old boss did something similar. He has an enormous house and is obsessed with having even more room so he's working on converting his attic into a store room or something similar. He went through his attic and chopped out a bunch of 2x4s he said were left over from construction but not needed. He did not have an engineer check it out beforehand and I'm pretty sure he removed framing that was supporting a long ceiling span.

It'll be interesting to hear what happens when he eventually starts piling junk up there.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cat Hatter posted:

All loctite is in red packaging and permatex in blue. The strength is written in it's corresponding color on both. The problem was buying two different brands and being unlucky enough that the dominant package color for each was backwards.

It's a dumb mistake to make, but we've all made dumber mistakes.

The problem is two stupid brands selling glue with a name opposite to the dominant colour of the packaging.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

All loctite is in red packaging

This isn't true. Some Loctite products are in blue tubes, some in white. (I'm sure there may be other colours used, but those are the ones I see every week at work.)

e: The idiocy here is going by anything except the number - including both the customer and whoever designed the Anglo packaging. This is what 242 packaging looks like in normal countries (it's available in other kinds of vessels, but there's no stupid "blue" branding):

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 12, 2023

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
It's sold by number to the industrial market in the US at least.

https://www.fastenal.com/product/details/62401

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I literally did exactly this with a ton of left-over sheetrock salvaged from a few jobs my neighbor was doing.

It was for the back wall of the sunroom I built, for fire code only. The wall was panelled in T&G pine.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Oh god this is me. It was the back of a closet though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

slurm posted:

It's sold by number to the industrial market in the US at least.

https://www.fastenal.com/product/details/62401

The number is prominent on the meme tube as well, but most people don't know 242 from 243 nor do they need to.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Does anyone have the heart to tell him an entire sheet is only :10bux:?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

SpartanIvy posted:

This looks like some of the work my dad did in my home. He did do most of the work when installing my furnace and did an okayish job with that but all in all I am either hiring people or doing it myself from hereby out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

If it's all flat and you skim coat it I guess that's okay......You're just wasting a lot of time taping and muddding to make it right which is by far the worst part of sheet rocking.

I'd be off getting another sheet.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Yeah I lived somewhere that had this and it was v. Disconcerting when I first squinted at it and went "hang on, those supports aren't properly attached".

Also one part of the roof truss seemed to be supported on a bunch of wood shimmed into a bit of brickwork on the end wall, which was itself a complete state, so good job the truss was sound I guess.

Yeah the house I'm renting has this going on too, looks weird but is apparently fine.

More amusingly there's an enormous ladder trapped up there. It's longer than the distance between the upstairs landing and the roof, so even if you could contort one end down out of the hatch there's no way to stand it up and actually use it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SpartanIvy posted:

I hate that for you. There isn't a wall that has to be patched so bad I can't cut it to a large rectangle and minimize the joints.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Oldie but goodie with sound

https://i.imgur.com/IHY2Kyw.mp4

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjYxX0BZfQ

A naieve, kind hearted idealist tries to be a morally good landlord by buying horribly dilapidated houses in former east-germany, trying to fix them up on a shoestring budget and allowing the poorest of the poor to live there for a small amount of money. This is recorded in 2014.
It seems that he genuinely expected that eventually he would be able to make money from those houses.

Ulf (the landlord) died a couple years after the documentary was made. I can't verify exactly how and why but it seems certain that it was suicide, and at least in part because he lost 150.000 euro.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjYxX0BZfQ

A naieve, kind hearted idealist tries to be a morally good landlord by buying horribly dilapidated houses in former east-germany, trying to fix them up on a shoestring budget and allowing the poorest of the poor to live there for a small amount of money. This is recorded in 2014.
It seems that he genuinely expected that eventually he would be able to make money from those houses.

Ulf (the landlord) died a couple years after the documentary was made. I can't verify exactly how and why but it seems certain that it was suicide, and at least in part because he lost 150.000 euro.

That's sad and I wonder if he wasn't in his right mind to begin with. There was a similar type of thing in China where some guy whose wife died of lung cancer or something, he went around paying people to stop smoking (the cigarette they were smoking, not the habit) and ended up destitute. Well meaning but not sustainable.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This isn't true. Some Loctite products are in blue tubes, some in white. (I'm sure there may be other colours used, but those are the ones I see every week at work.)

e: The idiocy here is going by anything except the number - including both the customer and whoever designed the Anglo packaging. This is what 242 packaging looks like in normal countries (it's available in other kinds of vessels, but there's no stupid "blue" branding):

Even the hosed up bottles of loc-tite that I have in my tool box at work have somewhat legible labels on them that say "high strength" and "medium strength" (none of that weak rear end low strength bullshit for us) and that is good enough for me and the people that I work with to distinguish between the two. And I seriously have doubts about brain cell counts in some of the people that I work with.

I don't know much about loc-tite or its various properties, but is there a reason that it couldn't be packaged in clear bottles?

Does UV light degrade it or something?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It is sad, for everyone involved. Those unemployed people need to get some proper state support, but the former east german provinces/towns still don't have a bunch of money sitting around. The guy himself should be able to see that by himself, with maybe one or two friends who are prepared to work for free, you can't maintain houses that seem to not have been maintained since the two germanies became one.

Here's something like an obituary: https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/gross-in-der-zuversicht-gross-in-der-angst-3992017.html

It speaks about him going through high and low phases for a long time, and being a difficult child - and that he bought more than just those two houses in the documantary and that they were exhausting to manage. Eventually he started some kind of company, lost 150.000 euro in it (some comments speculate that manipulation was in play) and that's when the story ended.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Just stick your entire dick in the hole what's the problem here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Just stick your entire dick in the hole what's the problem here

In a word? Spiders.