Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol, even second edition is old enough to vote now.

And I'm old enough to have played first originally as well. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Just finished the new Angry Ron book. It was pretty good, but what was more remarkable was that it was one of the most batshit crazy old school 40k feeling books I've read in a long time from BL. If 40k is a spectrum between "Straightforward military sci-fi" and "Heavy metal poo poo airbrushed on a van", this book is WAY over on the latter side.

Premise is basically that Angron is coming back, and one of the Grey Knights who killed him last time is getting the band back together to do it again, also every world eater and also a lot of poser warbands are coming to serve under him kill things in his general vicinity.

Highlights:

The Conqueror is back. Which means Lotarra is back! As a creepy wraith!
A renegade Loyalist groupie hanging around with the World Eaters who wants to have his own set of Nails SO BAD YOU GUYS IT'S NOT FAIR
Grey Knights still can't fall to Chaos but they can definitely fall to Ahab-style crazy.

Mortal crew members dying in every possible way.
Various weird psyker poo poo
Yet another BL author not understanding that explosive decompression is just strong wind, it's not going to pick up multiple ton vehicles and throw them out into space.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arquinsiel posted:

I was real worried there for a second because what kind of eight year old registers a forums account? :psyduck:

This is one of my favourite historical photos because at first glance these guys are off to fight for Napoleon.

Stick a few skulls and robot eyes on those guys (and their horses) and you got a Guard regiment

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

von Metternich posted:

Highlights:

Grey Knights still can't fall to Chaos but they can definitely fall to Ahab-style crazy.

Really wish Bruva Alfabusa was making warham content still cause his bits with Kaldor Draigo are really good.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

S.J. posted:

Do you not get that the fiction is written from the perspective of the Imperium, or...?

I'm not really sure what your point or claim is here and how its relevant to what you quoted. The claim was the interex showed an alternative way to deal with psykers, and my claim was that is a pretty hard sell because as far as I am aware psykers are never mentioned in relation to the interex.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 12, 2023

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Telsa Cola posted:

I'm not really sure what your point or claim is here and how its relevant to what you quoted. The claim was the interex showed an alternative way to deal with psykers, and my claim was that is a pretty hard sell because as far as I am aware psykers are never mentioned in relation to the interex.

Did they have any psychic shenanigans with the translation machines/people? when they went kinda wonky when they got to the title of "warmaster" when introducing Horus?

e;
The Interex were unnerved cause it seemed very Chaos-y.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah psykers are never mentioned with the interex but it's implied they have some sort of a handle on chaos since they aren't fallen and are capable of displaying incredibly powerful chaos artifacts in their public library and recognize things are funky with the imperial delegation and try to give them some warning.

But that could just mean they shoot every psyker in the head the instant they are found and have instilled the armor of contempt in the general populace through whatever means. As far as I can think of right now there are no societies we ever see who have solved the psyker problem in any other way than killing most of them and training the strongest. Even Fenris who views it totally different will kill their psykers unless they are marked for being the tribal shaman.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dick Trauma posted:

Which Warhammer army would Cushing have chosen to buy?

probably guardsmen and marines. maybe some sisters. i feel like he would find the chaos models too distaseful.

DaysBefore posted:

Most of the time Warhammer war comes off as a mix of Napoleonic and pop-culture WWI. I think officers still carried swords at the start of WWI though.

only in the first months when they thought it would be some quick war where one side charges and the other side retreats. like the french as that picture showed went to the first couple battles with full dress uniforms and poo poo against maxims and poo poo.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Psyker Problem is one that humanity at large is going to have to find a new way to deal with, because the rate of psyker occurrence is going up and going up fast. There are something like a thousand percent more psykers since the rift opened and that pace is accelerating, not plateauing.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

wiegieman posted:

The Psyker Problem is one that humanity at large is going to have to find a new way to deal with, because the rate of psyker occurrence is going up and going up fast. There are something like a thousand percent more psykers since the rift opened and that pace is accelerating, not plateauing.

King in Yellow has it covered!

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
It bothers me when chaos space marines refer to imperial forces as "loyalist." Why would a marine in the word bearers conceptualize their own actions as a disloyalty?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It makes sense since they regard the Emperor as false, therefore they are loyal to a bad cause. They're proud of being disloyal to a false emperor.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a bit in angel resplendent where perturabo yells at one of his legionnaires to stop using that word

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There's also the ritualistic aspect of betrayal. The act of disloyalty to the emperor empowers a person through the gods, Lorgar had no compunctions about being disloyal and treacherous because he knew there was power in it. Sorot Tchure probably had compunctions, but that made the treachery—the disloyalty—even more important.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Is there an equal rate in nulls being born? or is this completely unrelated?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

I hadn't realised it was so soon.

Isn't using the WFRP 4th* as a base, repeating the same mistake as WRFP 2nd edition and Deathwatch**

Imperium Maledictum is going to use a D100 system, but they haven't gone too much into the rules yet and you sorta have to look between the lines in their articles about Character Creation and the sheet itself.
https://cubicle7games.com/blog/warhammer-40-000-roleplay-imperium-maledictum-character-sheet-blog
https://cubicle7games.com/blog/warhammer-40-000-roleplay-imperium-maledictum-character-sheet-blog

I think it's very close to being a revamped Dark Heresy 2nd edition.

Although I haven't heard anything about an imminent release and so far it's only been a vague "early 2023" for it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Reading Bloodlines and thought it was good but not great until (major spoiler) it turns out our good detective is in a goddamned Chaos Cult!. Went to bed right after finishing that chapter last night, so I haven't seen how this all resolves.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

habeasdorkus posted:

Reading Bloodlines and thought it was good but not great until (major spoiler) it turns out our good detective is in a goddamned Chaos Cult!. Went to bed right after finishing that chapter last night, so I haven't seen how this all resolves.

I thought it was a Genestealer cult. Either way it's a hell of a sequel hook.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're both wrong the Serpent God is a perfectly non-heretical manifestation of the Emperor! Please pay no attention to it popping up across multiple books set on Alecto! Why yes, lots of protagonists have mysterious chest scars that aren't fully explained, what of it?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mikojan posted:

Is there an equal rate in nulls being born? or is this completely unrelated?

Unrelated; pariahs are actually a necron experiment. Some of them are obsessive geneticists who want to create the perfect bodies to return to.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Man, I’m gonna try my damnedest to get an End and the Death LE but it’s gonna require lightning reflexes. What time do preorders normally go up?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/12/sunday-preview-reinforce-the-astra-militarum-and-prepare-for-the-black-library-celebration

Books, books, books! Next weekend is filled with them. Including some people are really waiting for.

First up we have Dawn of Fire: The Iron Kingdom by... ugh, Nick Kyme.
Will be available in both special edition and regular paperback/ebook and audio novel.

But there's also the one people have really been waiting for, The End and the Death Volume I by Dan Abnett.
The Heresys end game is finally within sight.
Available in both fancy limited edition and more regular version.

After that we have Bad Loon Rising, by Andy Clark.

A reprint of Angels of Darkness by Gav Thorpe.

Skarsnik by Guy Haley and The Macharian Crusade: Angel of Fire by William King as part of the Readers Choice vote from... a while back.

For anyone in need of a coffee table artbook about nothing but Space Marine, then First Founding is for you!

And then there's also a Print on Demand batch of the first three Gaunt's Ghosts books.

Lastly, if you make a purchase during the Black Library celebration then you'll get a free compilation of short stories.

Containing stories by Justin D Hill, Noah Van Nguyen, Michael F Haspil, David Annandale, and Jude Reid.

A must have if you liked the Cadia Stands books since I don't think Justin D Hill writes anything but those nowadays.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Do we just have to be first across the digital line essentially? Hammer that order button until it's in the cart?

Also, do we have any idea about the special edition price? I'm assuming untenable, but a person can hope.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

wiegieman posted:

Unrelated; pariahs are actually a necron experiment. Some of them are obsessive geneticists who want to create the perfect bodies to return to.

And yet instead they created Jurgen

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Special editions will be $60-$70 US. First Founding will be anywhere from $80-$120 most likely.

Since Gaunt's Ghosts is a print on demand it should be up to order for two weeks so no reason to scramble to get that one.

The new pre-orders are posted 5 minutes before whatever your local sale time is. So I am CST so the official time is 12pm but they actually go up at 11:55. They'll be long sold out by 12pm.

We are likely to get the queue system next week since so much is being released which means all bets are off and you should probably be logged in and trying to get in at 11:45 for the best place in the queue. It's going to be a shitshow.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At least you're not going for the models where they're apparently forced to reduce available stock, which has been the case with this weekend's pre-orders. To pretty much everyone's annoyance.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's not the wisest financial decision I can make right now, but I think I have to try for one of the 2500. It's too pretty.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I just want The End and the Death to be released asap. It's funny how I've waited for the stupid heresy to end for seventeen years unflinchingly, but now that the end is in sight I'm getting impatient.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Some of you PMed me when Echoes of Eternity was releasing. I expect the same thing this time so if you are aware of what I am talking about hit me up and we can go through it again. I'm expecting within a day or two of the pre-order going up next week, possibly even sooner.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i just buy ebooks

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Special editions will be $60-$70 US. First Founding will be anywhere from $80-$120 most likely.

Since Gaunt's Ghosts is a print on demand it should be up to order for two weeks so no reason to scramble to get that one.

The new pre-orders are posted 5 minutes before whatever your local sale time is. So I am CST so the official time is 12pm but they actually go up at 11:55. They'll be long sold out by 12pm.

We are likely to get the queue system next week since so much is being released which means all bets are off and you should probably be logged in and trying to get in at 11:45 for the best place in the queue. It's going to be a shitshow.

I'm always a bit lost on the pre orders actual dates. So we can pre order this weekend but when do they actually come out? Not clear on the page...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

a lovely king posted:

I'm always a bit lost on the pre orders actual dates. So we can pre order this weekend but when do they actually come out? Not clear on the page...

For Games Workshop stuff, unless otherwise stated, pre-orders go live on Saturdays and release the following Saturday. If it's something that's print on demand it can take a few weeks for shipments to start rolling out.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What they said ^ but print on demands often take months not weeks.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Demiurge4 posted:

Pretty sure Imperium Nihilus is gonna end up being a vehicle for a good/bad Imperium split. Nihilus will be the good Imperium.

Nihilus will be an Abhuman-supremacist state.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Angry Lobster posted:

I just want The End and the Death to be released asap. It's funny how I've waited for the stupid heresy to end for seventeen years unflinchingly, but now that the end is in sight I'm getting impatient.

:hmmyes:

I want to read whatever twist on the ending we know that Abnett has planned.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

War and Pieces posted:

Nihilus will be an Abhuman-supremacist state.

I like the comment of the Imperium Nihilius becoming the "good" Imperium. Would blow Bobby G.'s mind when he saw it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Now the Siege is almost ended, is it worth reading through all of it, or should I just jump on a wiki before the Death and the End?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

D-Pad posted:

What they said ^ but print on demands often take months not weeks.

Oh, even for the books? drat I knew minis could take 3-6 months but that sucks.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

S.J. posted:

Oh, even for the books? drat I knew minis could take 3-6 months but that sucks.

Take orders, print in China, ship to UK, ship to warehouses, administrative stuff, then ship to customers. Yeah it takes a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Take orders, print in China, ship to UK, ship to warehouses, administrative stuff, then ship to customers. Yeah it takes a while.

Yeah, it makes sense, I'd just never done any of those with the books before. I keep forgetting that part isn't done in house as well.