Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Another goon who genuinely thinks that 100k isn't enough to own a house in a city hahaha

Take home pay is like $7000. A $400,000 house is like $2600 a month so I'm not sure where you're losing the other $4400. I just can't seem to figure out how to afford a house!! Won't somebody help me??

Have you forgotten about food, utilities, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

GABA ghoul posted:

Have you forgotten about food, utilities, etc.?

$4400 net is still more than most American's make gross, so yah, you can survive off that no problem if your housing is already taken care of.

That graphic from a page back was not individual income by the way, it was household income. 10+% of individuals are not making over $200k, it's more like 4%.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Another goon who genuinely thinks that 100k isn't enough to own a house in a city hahaha

Take home pay is like $7000. A $400,000 house is like $2600 a month so I'm not sure where you're losing the other $4400. I just can't seem to figure out how to afford a house!! Won't somebody help me??

Methanar fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 12, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah big this. I was surrounded by people insisting we (on the same entry salary) couldn't afford to live in my city without some extended-studenthood shared apartment setup. Well no, I did and still saved a bunch and had holidays too.

Just don't buy Uber trips and constant takeout? I honestly don't know what the difference was and that's just a guess.

Never, ever have children though lmao, yes sure I'd love to pay one partner's entire salary for a nursery.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 12, 2023

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Personally I minimize my tax burden by maintaining a NV residency and running three side businesses to offset regular living expenses and income tax. The 1099-B documentation is all you really need to prove a side gig to the IRS. No law against running an unprofitable business for the first 3 years. After 3 years it gets classified as a hobby and this stops working, but who cares just shuffle everything through an s corp then.

1) open a twitch account
2) donate 100 dollars to yourself
3) get a 1099-B from twitch for 80 dollars in donation payout
4) buy and expense 5000 dollars of gaming rig for your budding streaming career. Sell it on Craigslist in person for cash. Pretty easy to do for big ticket items like GPUs. Don't do it on ebay - leads to a paper trail
5) Go ahead and expense your whole internet connection and 25% of your electricity bill, gas bill, home insurance as well for your home office at this point.

1) Open only fans account
2) Donate 100 dollars to yourself
3) collect 1099-B and get 80 dollars back
4) Buy and expense all of the sex toys you want for your budding streaming career

1) do an Uber drive once a month
2) collect 1099--B
3) expense car, car licensing, insurance and fuel for your Uber business

Don't pay for your own internet connection either, be friends with your neighbours. Run a wire between your houses and split the bill. By sharing your internet connection with a neighbour, you can collect his share of the bill in just cash and not report it while you expense the whole thing on your taxes!!!!

Did you know if you work remotely you can just have two day jobs at once? Just have one job you care about and the other it's fine to just neglect. It's honestly not that hard: the bar is so low even at 75% attention for my main job I'm still better than all of the other clowns.
You can double dip here too with things like cellphone reimbursement being given by both companies.
It's pretty easy to maximize the both the 21.5k pre-tax 401k and 66k after-tax 401k for the megabackdoor roth with two jobs.

Food banks just give you free food too if you ask, you know.

A green card marriage can sell for a solid 25k per year in under the table income as well if you are a US citizen. Purchase a house together as additional proof of joint finances, when you get divorced after the 3rd year and a green card is secured by your spouse - just keep the house and all equity of the marital property for yourself.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf

quote:

Property Settlements
Generally, there is no recognized gain or loss on the
transfer of property between spouses, or between former
spouses if the transfer is because of a divorce. You may,
however, have to report the transaction on a gift tax return. See Gift Tax on Property Settlements, later. If you
sell property that you own jointly to split the proceeds as
part of your property settlement, see Sale of
Jointly-Owned Property, later.
Transfer Between Spouses
Generally, no gain or loss is recognized on a transfer of
property from you to (or in trust for the benefit of):
• Your spouse, or
• Your former spouse, but only if the transfer is incident
to your divorce.
This rule applies even if the transfer was in exchange for
cash, the release of marital rights, the assumption of liabilities, or other consideration.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 12, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I never considered taking a second fake job and just not doing it until they fired me... or any of those tax cheats... the IRS likes to target the poors because they don't have lawyers

i don't make six figures but i don't live in a desirable area so housing isn't crazy. I'm sure its way harder in places with a large population

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 12, 2023

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Wendigee posted:

I never considered taking a second fake job and just not doing it until they fired me... or any of those tax cheats... the IRS likes to target the poors because they don't have lawyers

The corporation is owned by some billionaire refusing to pay a living wage.
The tax code is deliberately designed to favour the rich and hollow out the middle class.
Eat the rich

Methanar fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 12, 2023

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Toxic Mental posted:

In Illinois it's probably closer to $3000 a check after taxes (assuming you're putting in enough to break even at the end of the year. My wife and I thought claiming 0s on our withholdings would keep us safe this year, but still ended up owing $3K), but before 401k contributions.

You'd also need to put a large percentage away in savings, so that you can live in the delusion that if you got a big medical bill, your parents suddenly need caretaking, or a sibling needs help because he lives his life like it's a Bruce Springstein song, your kid gets hurt, your car breaks down, etc, you have the money to cover it.

There're insurances for everything; the car, the house, your health, life if you and your spouse want to add extra protection for one another in a worst-case scenario, etc.

Then, yeah, after looking around my neighborhood in Chicago on Realtor.com you're probably paying about $2800 in mortgage and taxes on a $400k house; add a few hundred more if it's a condo and there are building fees. So having an unheated, uninsured, lightless, waterless home takes up half your income.

I don't have one myself, but I have come to understand that raising a kid in the city is ridiculously expensive.

Then, too, there's the question of how quickly out of college did you get up to 100K. If you spent a long time getting there- even if you were fairly responsible and had no negative life events that requires more money than you had on hand to resolve- then you are probably saddled with a great deal of debt that needs servicing. Also, did your parents just pay for the whole college experience, or is that more debt that you need to service?

By the time you add it all up, 100K a year isn't enough to live well on, unless you start cutting corners and accepting that, at some point, it's going to come crashing down. I make close to that amount, but it took until a couple years ago to get there (suddenly, there was no steady climb); starting a 401k now wouldn't do anything meaningful to help with my retirement, I can't responsibly afford a house or children, etc, so while I'm much more comfortable than I was for most of my life, I also still expect to die standing on my feet, working as a Wal-Mart greeter, because once my wife and I age into obsolescence and can't find work in our industries we won't be able to retire and will need to find any work we can just to stay behind. I have no honest clue how someone making half what I make has a kid and a house, and this whole nation is in for one hell of a shock when my generation reaches retirement age and a massive wave of us are homeless and/or defaulting on trillions of dollars of debt.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm not a doubter but if $100k is like $6000 a month after taxes so are you paying like $5000 for rent and only have $1000 a month to split between two people? How is that even possible? On Zillow most newer 3br/2ba apartments in decent areas are like $1500-$2000 a month.

just want to address this:

a bartender and a factory worker who are not married making just shy of $50k a year each doesn't translate to $6000 a month, and that is why I never addressed this post

dk2m
May 6, 2009
What everyone misses anytime these sorts of personal income salaries are brought up it this:

How was it that some guy, who’s entire job involved around attaching a dashboard to a Ford Taurus, have a home, a car and support his family, along with send his kids to college, all on a single income as his wife was stay at home?

This seems literally impossible to us now, but that was literally quite true for a long time. Dude didn’t make a gently caress ton of money or anything - it’s just that everything else was cheap. Since the 80s, that trend has completely reversed. Nearly 70% of all debt in this country is in mortgages, which means that housing prices have been massively inflated artificially as they are used as investment vehicles.

Rent has similarly skyrocketed, as landlords have become institutionalized.

Education is now also insane. My 18 year cousin told me her tuition is 75k a year and my jaw hit the floor. I went to the same college in 2010 and it was 25k. I can go on and on, but the point is that if you have to work to make a living, you are worse off that that random factory guy in detroit and yes that even includes the computer toucher working for Google in Mountain View. What changed is that basic services like housing and education and healthcare are massively asset inflated, which is a net positive at a GDP level as it supposedly makes our economy look extremely productive, but it benefits only the asset holders which none of us here are. It’s how in San Jose, a 600 sq ft studio still goes for over half a million.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I used to live pretty comfortably on 32k a year (as comfortable as used cars and lovely apartments are), but that was before kids.

Even with kids though, 100k is still a poo poo ton of money to me. I can easily go out to dinner, and having to get new breaks for a car doesn't fill me with dread.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

Lmao a house in SoCal goes for $1 million and rent is $5k+.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Right before I left LA they opened up a new condo complex by me with 1bed/baths starting at 650k lol I wasn't even in the city that was in the valley 100k not gonna cut it for that poo poo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To the people barely scraping by with $100k in a city: What's your favourite goldbelly cookie subscription?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

there is a single 1 bd condo for sale near me for less than 1 million (it's 999,999)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HD DAD posted:

100k is poverty in San Fran
Everytime a goon reminds me that all the waitresses and janitors in San Francisco make 100k a year, I'm just absolutely floored. What a town!!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Methanar is in white collar resort prison for tax fraud and if he doesn’t start posting better I’m going to email the warden and have him revoke his posting privileges.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Everytime a goon reminds me that all the waitresses and janitors in San Francisco make 100k a year, I'm just absolutely floored. What a town!!

most of the waitresses and janitors in san francisco do not live in san francisco

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
When did the concept and reality of in-work poverty become politically acceptable for conservatives (and, let’s be honest, some liberals)?

It feels like there was a time not too long ago when most people would probably agree that no one should work full time and struggle to make ends meet. Now it feels like the goalposts moved and some view the idea of others being poor while working full-time is both (1) something we need people to do and (2) evidence of some moral shortcoming of those people.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Toxic Mental posted:

Is this based on the old like 3% rates? I just got pre-approved for a mortgage in western New York. With good credit (>750) and assuming a $20,000 down payment on a $250,000 house, my payments were estimated at $2400/month (6.375% rate). A $150,000 home would be about $1400/month. And that’s not “in” the city, that’s suburbs. I’m pretty sure a $400,000 home would be closer to $3500-4000/month.

If I made $100,000 here my take home after taxes and max contributing to my 401k would be about $5,000/month.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Most people struggle to make the ends meet and work full time, and those with any power to actually change that aren't going to do it. Upper middle class fuckos sending you their tepid thoughts and prayers about your regular day to day life are nothing short of condescending hth

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
due to the fact that i make considerably less than 100k a year, ya op

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the closest i ever got to 100k was 85k a year but i was living in nyc at the time, i certainly didn't feel poor, but i didn't feel rich either

now i live in la and make around 60k. i would not call my existence "poverty", but as someone else put it, i'm a couple bad decisions or unfortunate events away from disaster. also, it doesn't all come in a regular paycheck but mostly in lumps throughout the year so there are some stretches when its definitely a struggle

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 12, 2023

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Most people struggle to make the ends meet and work full time, and those with any power to actually change that aren't going to do it. Upper middle class fuckos sending you their tepid thoughts and prayers about your regular day to day life are nothing short of condescending hth

I feel there used to be at least a well-subscribed and maybe even bipartisan idea that everyone willing to work should be able to survive, if not prosper.

That idea, or at least its popularity, seems outdated now, but I don’t know exactly when and why that changed. I mean my guess is Reagan and Thatcher but I dunno.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Earwicker posted:

most of the waitresses and janitors in san francisco do not live in san francisco
But the people struggling to make ends meet on 100k in San Francisco have to live in the city, right? Otherwise, they may as well be a janitor.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Slugworth posted:

But the people struggling to make ends meet on 100k in San Francisco have to live in the city, right? Otherwise, they may as well be a janitor.

Or you just dont want an hour+ commute each way. Im not sure how san francisco works, but in toronto, if you dont live near your job, you're usually looking at a 45 minute trip each way

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slugworth posted:

i'm not sure who you are referring to here.

most of the people who live in SF these days are wealthy or a handful that lucked out with rent control. most of the people who are not wealthy commute from the suburbs or other nearby cities, but since those other cities and suburbs have also had rental and real estate prices go insane over the last couple decades, people now commute in from like central valley towns or even the sierra foothills

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Toxic Mental posted:

lol. lmao.

A 400k house you say? OK, let's see:

There are only 60 single family houses in the entire Bay Area currently listed for under 400k and they're utter poo poo in crappy mostly crime-ridden neighborhoods (or way the gently caress up near Santa Rosa, I don't know why Zillow calls that Bay Area).

edit: hey this looks like a nice area, it's got a park nearby, it's close to the Bay, these houses are a steal!

hmm hang on what's that red/blue square

oh

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 12, 2023

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SyNack Sassimov posted:

lol. lmao.

A 400k house you say? OK, let's see:

There are only 60 single family houses in the entire Bay Area currently listed for under 400k and they're utter poo poo in crappy mostly crime-ridden neighborhoods (or way the gently caress up near Santa Rosa, I don't know why Zillow calls that Bay Area).
Don't live there if you can't afford it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SyNack Sassimov posted:

(or way the gently caress up near Santa Rosa, I don't know why Zillow calls that Bay Area).

santa rosa has been a bay area commuter town for like the last ten years at least

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Methanar posted:

Don't live there if you can't afford it

You do realize people are born there that cant afford to move, right?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

My Spirit Otter posted:

You do realize people are born there that cant afford to move, right?

Lol. You know what all of the first generation immigrants living there had to do to move in?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Have met people that commute from Sac to the bay lmao can you imagine?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Methanar posted:

Lol. You know what all of the first generation immigrants living there had to do to move in?

They had it bad so others must have it worse?

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
getting catering from the grocery store because its $1.89/guest cheaper

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

My Spirit Otter posted:

They had it bad so others must have it worse?

The point is you can do it if you want to. "Can't " lol

Your average American born in a large metro area has no idea their privilege and just how much worse things really can be.

Why do you think the immigration goes to the big cities rather than small towns? Being born in a large city in the US puts you in the top 10th percentile in quality of living of the entire world day 0. Something people spend their entire lives working for yet may never achieve

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 12, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Methanar posted:

depends which ones you are talking about. the first wave of immigrants living in the bay were wealthy spanish ranchers, their vaqueros, missionaries, their priests, and the slaves they brought with them who were mostly natives of other regions of california and mexico. what they "had to do to move in" depended on which part of that society they were in, but i dont think any of it is particularly relevant to the current housing situation or the post you are responding to. just like today there were some who had it easy and many who didn't.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

My Spirit Otter posted:

Or you just dont want an hour+ commute each way. Im not sure how san francisco works, but in toronto, if you dont live near your job, you're usually looking at a 45 minute trip each way
Do the janitors just live in the buildings they clean, or....?

Like, I get not wanting to travel for work, but if you're bitching about the cost of living in a city where you absolutely make, say, five times the amount that someone else working in that exact same city makes, then you've made a conscious decision to live beyond your means. There is, in point of fact, an area you could live in affordably, you just refuse to. And that's fine, but I'm not gonna feel bad for your bad financial decisions.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Earwicker posted:

depends which ones you are talking about. the first wave of immigrants living in the bay were wealthy spanish ranchers, their vaqueros, missionaries, their priests, and the slaves they brought with them who were mostly natives of other regions of california and mexico. what they "had to do to move in" depended on which part of that society they were in, but i dont think any of it is particularly relevant to the current housing situation or the post you are responding to. just like today there were some who had it easy and many who didn't.

Well I sure didn't mean the people 150 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Methanar posted:

The point is you can do it if you want to. "Can't " lol

Your average American born in a large metro area has no idea their privilege and just how much worse things really can be.

Why do you think the immigration goes to the big cities rather than small towns? Being born in a large city in the US puts you in the top 10th percentile in quality of living of the entire world day 0. Something people spend their entire lives working for yet may never achieve

So youre saying these people just dont deserve to live in the city

Slugworth posted:

Do the janitors just live in the buildings they clean, or....?

Like, I get not wanting to travel for work, but if you're bitching about the cost of living in a city where you absolutely make, say, five times the amount that someone else working in that exact same city makes, then you've made a conscious decision to live beyond your means. There is, in point of fact, an area you could live in affordably, you just refuse to. And that's fine, but I'm not gonna feel bad for your bad financial decisions.

What i mean by that post is a janitor isnt getting paid the money they need to be to live 45 minutes away by car. Youre probably looking a 15 bucks in gas each direction and 30 bucks is a shitload of money if youre only making 100 a shift.

Its not economically feasible to work a poor person job in a city and commute to and from everyday.

I know because ive done it and it loving sucks

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 12, 2023