Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

It was something Glenn Kirschner (ex fed prosecutor) said. I don't know it for fact. Trump's an ex-President, and they get a SS detail, I think even if they are convicted of a crime.

Eh, this just sounds like a lack of imagination. Trump could be protected by SS and be in prison.

Solitary cell (but not confined to solitary just by his self) with an agent at the door and a couple more in a break room to switch off or walk him out to the yard or stand behind him while he whines to the other prisoners at lunch so one doesn’t decide that clocking a president is worth another month in the hole.

He’s going to have like 8 meetings a day with lawyers and all the perks money can afford so he’ll never really be alone.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Like I get that Trump is rich and powerful and is unlikely to even be convicted of a crime no matter what he does because that's just the way the system works.

But the argument that once convicted he can't legally go to prison because he's entitled to SS protection just sounds ludicrous because that was not the intent of the law.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The most likely outcome I think is if Trump was convicted of a crime which would definitely result in jail time, he'd die before the sentencing.

Not in a "the deep state has him killed" kind of way. Just that the thought of actually having to endure any form of consequence would be too much for his 70/80 year old, Covid wracked body to take and he'd die before seeing the inside of a cell.
This would also probably be the preferred result for the Republican party.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Murgos posted:

Eh, this just sounds like a lack of imagination. Trump could be protected by SS and be in prison.

Solitary cell (but not confined to solitary just by his self) with an agent at the door and a couple more in a break room to switch off or walk him out to the yard or stand behind him while he whines to the other prisoners at lunch so one doesn’t decide that clocking a president is worth another month in the hole.

He’s going to have like 8 meetings a day with lawyers and all the perks money can afford so he’ll never really be alone.
Yeah exactly, he'd go to rich guy prison anyway, I think they could figure out how to protect him from getting murdered if they really wanted to jail him.

If they didn't really want to I guess they could hide behind the SS law but why would you need to, there's way more legitimate seeming ways to just make sure he gets acquitted in the first place. Coming right out and telling the public that if you're powerful enough you can't go to prison EVER no matter what you're convicted of is unnecessary.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Murgos posted:

SS could totally protect him from a prison cell, in fact that would be GREAT for them to do, they could set it up, have all the monitoring they would like, great security for Trump, and yes Trump would likely have a very nice cell if he went to a prison, Frankly because he's rich, but honestly all prisoners should have decent accomodations, human decency and all.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I’m not astonished to find out there are former federal prosecutors so stupid or so beholden to power or both they think having secret service protection is a get out of jail free card. Like, so stupid you got it exactly backwards: class position ended up with him having the special boy prize, which comes with free secret service detail. We don’t jail the ruling class, at least not in any meaningful way, which is why he’d never go to jail.

My man figured out the correct answer to the problem, but when asked to show his work it was just dogshit, not even numbers, just scribbles and a little doodle of a king’s crown.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

Trump's secret service driver wouldn't bring him to the Capitol during the insurrection and endured Trump trying to choke him for refusing while still driving the limo, so yeah they have to protect him. I'm guessing they'd be an excellent getaway team if he did shoot someone, but he'd have to be sneaky so they don't realize he is trying to put himself in danger and intervene.

Hmm yeah good point they're not a Kingsguard, if he started doing mass shooting right behind them I imagine they'd be able to tackle him and disarm him for his own protection.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You are misstating what I just said. No one suggested having an SS detail was a get out of jail free card. The question is the US prison system ready to try to incarcerate an ex-president or will it have to be invented like so much else surrounding this colossal fuckknot.

Remind me, experts, how did we incarcerate the last POTUS who committed a failed Coup?

This is a very real problem the DOJ must figure out how to address. In other countries you'd be locked up, murdered, or exiled. If we aren't going with murder or exile, and locked up in Federal Prison is not an option; something will have to be improvised. Put an ankle lock on him and have his SS detail be his guards, too? Don't let him leave MAL except for more court appearances. It works for me but who knows?

Not any of you.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dr. Faustus posted:

Put an ankle lock on him and have his SS detail be his guards, too? Don't let him leave MAL except for more court appearances. It works for me but who knows?

Not any of you.

I kinda want to see this happen just because you know he'd try to stage his own Flight to Varennes, and it would somehow end up being even more ridiculous than that did

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fuschia tude posted:

I kinda want to see this happen just because you know he'd try to stage his own Flight to Varennes, and it would somehow end up being even more ridiculous than that did
Of course he would, and it would be folly to try to even predict just how badly he'd gently caress it up because look at these dumbass fascist morons.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fuschia tude posted:

Calling it now: he tries to flee to Georgia but ends up in the wrong one.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is a very real problem the DOJ must figure out how to address.

"How do we lock up people we can't integrate into the normal prison population" isn't some novel problem, it's a well trod one we already have multiple solutions to, figuring out how to address it just means picking the best existing solution from the list.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is a very real problem the DOJ must figure out how to address. In other countries you'd be locked up, murdered, or exiled. If we aren't going with murder or exile, and locked up in Federal Prison is not an option; something will have to be improvised. Put an ankle lock on him and have his SS detail be his guards, too? Don't let him leave MAL except for more court appearances. It works for me but who knows?
Certainly while the infinity appeals about the implications of each clause in Article II gets litigated and he challenges each and every witness testimony for some slight executive privilege claim the most I would expect is confined to MAL and an ankle bracelet. With 'confined' being pretty loosely defined to like, when he doesn't have a dinner reservation or an appointment for fox news or something.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Calling it now: he tries to flee to Georgia but ends up in the wrong one.

Now I see him knocking on MTG's door in the middle of the night to ask if he can move in to her guest bedroom.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PainterofCrap posted:

Now I see him knocking on MTG's door in the middle of the night to ask if he can move in to her guest bedroom.

if she injected him with phyrexian oil, how could we tell

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Google Jeb Bush posted:

if she injected him with phyrexian oil, how could we tell

... wait, he isn't a phyrexian already?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Dr. Faustus posted:

Remind me, experts, how did we incarcerate the last POTUS who committed a failed Coup?

They locked up the waluigi president in a fort for a few years until they gave up

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Found this article with a 1/6 investigator interview that was a decent read

What Makes a Person Storm the Capitol?
An investigator on the January 6 committee on how Trump supporters became “foot soldiers.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epzeyp/jan-6-committee-storming-the-capitol

quote:

You’re right, distrusting government isn’t new at all. But what’s changed that can make it worse? Clearly social media, the way algorithms amplify information, has warped and heightened distrust. If you lean conspiratorial, this model will keep pushing you further down a rabbit hole and eventually, you believe in QAnon. On top of that, income inequality is as bad or worse than in the Gilded Age. And there’s a lot of research that shows income inequality drives polarization and it drives people who feel left out to distrust what government is doing. Racial animus is layered on top of that, clearly. So there’s all these things happening at once to make people open to being hijacked by opportunistic politicians like Donald Trump.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What's odd to me is that the larger percentage of insurrectionist traitors were in upper income brackets.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
They're the only ones with jobs that give PTO

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PainterofCrap posted:

What's odd to me is that the larger percentage of insurrectionist traitors were in upper income brackets.

Flying to DC to spend couple of days lounging around and then playing revolution is costly in terms of money as well as free time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

It was always Trump and this generation of conservatives key demographic, wealthy, usually uneducated, but not too wealthy. The middle manager, small business tyrants of the world who think that they're smarter than everyone cause they got lucky.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mooseontheloose posted:

It was always Trump and this generation of conservatives key demographic, wealthy, usually uneducated, but not too wealthy. The middle manager, small business tyrants of the world who think that they're smarter than everyone cause they got lucky.

It's not that surprising. The first wave of fascism was also initially a middle-class phenomenon, fueled by insecure small proprietor types terrified of "Judeo-Bolshevism."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

They’ve been told for decades that Dems are going to come take their money and give it to poors with melanin in their skin. It’s not like they will ever need social support systems because of how superior they are because John Galt told them so.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I like it when the judges take no poo poo from lying traitors.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/03/judge-jan-6-defendant-recants-guilt-00081113

quote:

A Jan. 6 defendant’s boast in an interview this week that he had no regrets about his role in the Capitol riot — just days after he acknowledged his guilt in a federal courtroom — may upend the man’s efforts to resolve the criminal case against him.

U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta issued an order Friday instructing defendant Thomas Adams Jr. and prosecutors to explain why the guilty findings the judge entered on Tuesday, following a brief “stipulated” bench trial should not be overturned in light of Adams’ comments to a reporter the following day.

“I wouldn’t change anything I did,” Adams told the State Journal-Register Wednesday outside his home in Springfield, Ill. “I didn’t do anything. I still to this day, even though I had to admit guilt [in the stipulation], don’t feel like I did what the charge is.”

In a brief order Friday morning, Mehta gave both sides one week to provide reasons “why the court should not vacate Defendant’s convictions of guilt in light of his post-stipulated trial statements” included in the article. The judge also attached a copy of the news report.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

I don't understand. The defendent pled guilty, and then the next day in public said he didn't believe he was guilty. So the judge wants to vacate the conviction? Is that because the guilty plea came with a plea bargain, and that's what gets vacated?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ynglaur posted:

I don't understand. The defendent pled guilty, and then the next day in public said he didn't believe he was guilty. So the judge wants to vacate the conviction? Is that because the guilty plea came with a plea bargain, and that's what gets vacated?

Has nothing to do with the bargain. If you plead guilty in court, you are saying under oath that you know you did the crime. If you go out in public and say otherwise, the judge is going to want to know whether you were lying to them during the plea.

He's in deep poo poo. Judges hate this.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ynglaur posted:

The rest of the article kinda explains it:

quote:

Unlike the guilty pleas typically offered in deals with prosecutors, stipulated trials allow defendants in other cases to preserve their ability to wipe out their obstruction convictions if the D.C. Circuit [appeals court] sides with [a different judge on a point of law common to a bunch of cases, including this one]. The obstruction charge carries a maximum 20-year prison sentence, although no Jan. 6 defendant has received a sentence close to that in a case not involving violence.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks for the answers. IANAL, so I appreciate having it described in layperson's terms.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Long story short, don't talk to the media while you're involved in litigation. There's a reason lawyers in high profile cases usually have a point person (not their client) for all media communications, or just refuse to say anything.

Especially don't say anything to the media that contradicts anything you say in court.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Catching up.

Xiahou Dun posted:

You’re talking about sedition. Which is the thing he might be charged with.
No, I meant treason based on its definition as noted and the supreme court cases clarifying the legal meaning, but I agree he should also be charged with seditious libel :buddy: since he spent several well documented months publishing lies about the country to increase discord and violence.

If we've learned anything from 1/6, please let it be that when people say something we actually believe them instead of just saying Nuh uh! :ohdear:

Dr. Faustus posted:

I envision home arrest at MAL but honestly who knows?
That's what I'd expect as well, but I still think part of the sentence needs to include "no electronic communication devices". Set him up with a nice telecommunications fraud charge. (It would be cool to deport him to RU but then we'd still have to listen to his bleating.)

Murgos posted:

There are plenty of old, unused prisons where they can put him. SS protection is easy when there's no one around for 5mi. Heck, they can just pass the Presidential Prison Act of 2023, designating it The Donald Trump Federal Prison for the Criminally Insane. Sounds like a good renaming of MAL.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Morrow posted:

Long story short, don't talk to the media while you're involved in litigation. There's a reason lawyers in high profile cases usually have a point person (not their client) for all media communications, or just refuse to say anything.

Especially don't say anything to the media that contradicts anything you say in court.
Anyone (possible a cartoon thread regular) still remember the Jonathan Pollard case?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

There are plenty of old, unused prisons where they can put him. SS protection is easy when there's no one around for 5mi. Heck, they can just pass the Presidential Prison Act of 2023, designating it The Donald Trump Federal Prison for the Criminally Insane. Sounds like a good renaming of MAL.

He's going to break out and torture Batman so much if we do that

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Xander77 posted:

Anyone (possible a cartoon thread regular) still remember the Jonathan Pollard case?

The guy who spied for Israel?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Inner Light posted:

You love to see it in the wild.

Hey folks just dropping in. I think the last time I was here a mod may have clarified talking about “mattering” in of itself is not probatable, there might be value in discussing it.

Anything mattered yet?

I think I’ve asked this a bunch in the intervening years since 2016 and the response on the internet has been nothing but a bunch of sniveling salivating terminally online nerds shouting “YOU’LL SEE IT’S SO OBVIOUS IT’S ALL GOING TO MATTER AND THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES” every year since 2016

Anything mattered yet? Is this a “low value post”? What is the meaning of value and life itself?

I just realized I probably saw this thread in my bookmarks after reading some news and Kramered in without seeing it was D&D rather than CSPAM. I was wondering why the replies were so tempered and thoughtful. Now that Pence has been subpoena'd I want to circle back on this question, and if I'm bored enough may find some way to post this in CSPAM without getting probated if I can manage it.

Good luck Pence :smugdon:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
CNN and others are reporting that a Save America PAC aide copied many classified documents to a laptop and thumb drive while at Mar-a-lago.

“not realizing they were classified, sources said. The laptop, which belonged to an aide, who works for Save America PAC”

Classified documents are marked out the wazzoo so I don’t by that for a second.

MFers stole documents and digitized them and then did what? At whose direction? I also don’t buy for a second they just sat on this staffers laptop and no one else saw them.

Edit: Also lied about it when responding to the subpoena. It’s so damning that I’m wondering if Trumps lawyers handed this over out of a sense of self preservation because they expected it to be discovered.

Edit 2: Anyway, save America PAC or the staffer isn’t a government entity so this probably meets the threshold for espionage.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 11, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The “Save America by colluding with Russia” PAC

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
How long has it been since the government launched a major, meaningful criminal investigation of Congress with the intent of securing criminal convictions? Not since the early 80s, right? Do you think we even have the ability anymore to pull off something like Abscam nowadays? Maybe there's something more recent, but I can't think of it.

Are we basically limited to prosecuting folks who commit their crimes so openly and brazenly that we can't ignore them, nowadays? It seems strange.

Because the Trump question to me is less interesting than some of the Congressional collaborators, and I'm most disappointed nothing is going to happen to any of them.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 12, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

How long has it been since the government launched a major, meaningful criminal investigation of Congress with the intent of securing criminal convictions? Not since the early 80s, right? Do you think we even have the ability anymore to pull off something like Abscam nowadays? Maybe there's something more recent, but I can't think of it.

Are we basically limited to prosecuting folks who commit their crimes so openly and brazenly that we can't ignore them, nowadays? It seems strange.

Because the Trump question to me is less interesting than some of the Congressional collaborators, and I'm most disappointed nothing is going to happen to any of them.

The last time a sitting member of Congress was convicted of a felony was less than a year ago, when Jeff Fortenberry (R-Nebraska) was investigated and convicted over a scheme to launder illegal campaign contributions from a Nigerian billionaire.

During the Trump administration, three Republican House members were investigated and convicted of various financial crimes (fraud, money laundering, misuse of campaign funds, etc), but Trump pardoned two of them and commuted the sentence of the third.

And let's not forget Hastert, whose child molestation was discovered by federal investigators probing into some suspicious financial transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How many of them did more than pay some fines? Not even ruin-your-life level fines that can happen to normal people, just fines.