Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Chainclaw posted:

Anyone know of good, simple options for setting up a remote camera to watch stuff, that isn't Octoprint?

I want to keep an eye on my glowforge while it cuts, but the Blink camera I got is awful. Only phone apps, the feed stops every few minutes so I have to start it again.

I want something that I can view from a Windows and Mac desktop in addition to phones. Something easy to setup and manage so my partner can (that's one of the big downsides to Octoprint).

Basically a camera connected to wifi that all devices in my house have access to view from.

Don’t loving walk away from your laser job you dingdong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The worst part about laser cutters (besides exhaust needs) is that they need to be babysat, because they are absolutely a fire hazard whose risk is never really zero. Don't run it unattended. Buy a small extinguisher and keep it nearby.

I know it sucks because it mostly just reliably does its thing and that's time you could be doing something else, but that's laser cutters. Maybe you're setting up something where you can get to it in a flash if anything goes sideways, and if so that's good. It's your stuff, just consider this a PSA that laser cutters aren't set and forget machines.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

LightRailTycoon posted:

There are octoprint client apps with the video, it is just a standard http video stream you can view with any browser. If you’d rather spend money than hack, I’m happy with the ubiquiti cameras I use at work.

I'm going to check those out. The pi setup sucks, it's two devices (a Pi and a camera) and it's harder to explain to my partner how to use that.

It looks like the Ubiquiti ones have browser video support, which is perfect.

NewFatMike posted:

Don’t loving walk away from your laser job you dingdong.

I'm in the room next to it, it's in a weirdly tight space. I'm not doing this to do other things while it's cutting, I'm just watching the camera view the whole time.

It's extremely boring because I've got like 8 hours of cutting to do this weekend.

The Eyes Have It posted:

The worst part about laser cutters (besides exhaust needs) is that they need to be babysat, because they are absolutely a fire hazard whose risk is never really zero. Don't run it unattended. Buy a small extinguisher and keep it nearby.

I know it sucks because it mostly just reliably does its thing and that's time you could be doing something else, but that's laser cutters.

Yeah I've had to stop several cuts that got a bit too firey. Luckily those were all "mash the stop button and open the lid" levels to put out.

I've got the small, cheap extinguisher. I just ordered an expensive extinguisher, I heard Halotron (not Halo whatever) is much better than the cheap extinguishers because the stuff it sprays is less likely to permanently wreck your device if you do have to use it.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 11, 2023

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Chainclaw posted:

I've got the small, cheap extinguisher. I just ordered an expensive extinguisher, I heard Halotron (not Halo whatever) is much better than the cheap extinguishers because the stuff it sprays is less likely to permanently wreck your device if you do have to use it.

Neat, I didn't know there was a consumer grade version of halon

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Chainclaw posted:

I'm in the room next to it, it's in a weirdly tight space. I'm not doing this to do other things while it's cutting, I'm just watching the camera view the whole time.

It's extremely boring because I've got like 8 hours of cutting to do this weekend.

Sorry I assumed, I’ve ejected more than one person from makerspaces for leaving their laser jobs while in progress.

In my freelance days I just popped on a lot of podcasts while doing long laser cut and bending jobs, but if you’re not getting paid that can be a lot less fun.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Sorry I assumed, I’ve ejected more than one person from makerspaces for leaving their laser jobs while in progress.

In my freelance days I just popped on a lot of podcasts while doing long laser cut and bending jobs, but if you’re not getting paid that can be a lot less fun.

I think it's totally fair to assume people asking about laser cutters, 3D printers (especially resin) and other hardware are going to be loving it up.

I would have done it a while ago, when we first got the laser cutter, but my partner is much more aware of safety stuff. When we got it I would be like "Oh let's start the laser cutter and go out and get dinner so it's done cutting when we get back" and she was like "WTF no way, it's an extreme fire hazard. You have to be watching it constantly."

I almost boot up MTG Arena while I waited today and was like "Nope gotta watch thing thing like a hawk, I can only do things where I can put the majority of my attention on the laser cutter", so basically I can shitpost today. Same with half the other stuff I wanted to do today, like painting Warhammer. Those take too much focus.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
What steps are taken to run them lights-out in production?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’s probably not very common to do so, if you’re doing lights out for 2D you’re probably doing molding, custom punches, or routing.

The risk to reward of using lasers in lights out is not very good. If they are run, I have to imagine it’s pretty crazy fire suppression. I truly can’t imagine a scenario where your quantities are so high that you need lights out where a safer technology wouldn’t be the preferred solution.

Maybe some crazy vacuum laser system? Inert gases in the chamber?

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 11, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Vacuum/inert environment probably wouldn't work well, if at all, since the burning process requires oxygen. I'm sure it would work at least a little from just the heat of the concentrated spot, maybe, but I don't know what that would look like.

Now I need to see if anyone has been doing this.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

Anyone know of good, simple options for setting up a remote camera to watch stuff, that isn't Octoprint?

I want to keep an eye on my glowforge while it cuts, but the Blink camera I got is awful. Only phone apps, the feed stops every few minutes so I have to start it again.

I want something that I can view from a Windows and Mac desktop in addition to phones. Something easy to setup and manage so my partner can (that's one of the big downsides to Octoprint).

Basically a camera connected to wifi that all devices in my house have access to view from.

Uncle Jessy just made a video about using Wyze cameras for watching 3d prints, and using that + a smart plug to give remote kill power.

But yeah lasers are a different beast and can go from 0 - HOUSE FIRE in no time flat

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Seems like it would be pretty easy to run CO2 to the enclosure with a remote release, right

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

CO2 is good, but Halotron is excellent. It's more expensive, but it is more efficient at killing fire than CO2.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

ryanrs posted:

CO2 is good, but Halotron is excellent. It's more expensive, but it is more efficient at killing fire than CO2.

CO2 is cheap and ubiquitous over the counter for the hobbyist, though it will suffocate you a lot more easily than Halotron

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
LDO Trident kit arrived yesterday. It included an E3D Revo in the box. Asked Fabreeko and they were like "if you ordered one we may have thrown it in there" and I showed a picture of it next to the one I ordered which came in its own box. Pinged Jason from LDO and got a "oops we aren't including them *yet*, bonus for you" response. Gotta say great cust service as Fabreeko immediately turned around and suggested I return the one bought separately without any hassle about it .

Got the frame assembled, but can't find my soldering iron, so gotta go get another to do the heat sets.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If your laser engraver is starting a fire big enough that you need to be concerned about CO2 saturation in the room, then maybe try not engraving on gasoline soaked rags?

Any fire a laser cutter starts should take a quick burst and be done.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

...that isn't how fire works.

Most flare-ups in a laser cutter are brief and die out as soon as the laser heat is gone, yes. But if you manage to light the material on fire for real, which can absolutely happen with wood, plastic, cardboard, and almost anything else you can laser-engrave, then you have a real self-sustaining fire and everything that entails.

Never leave a laser cutter unattended. It is literally a burning machine

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 12, 2023

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I think Alex meant that you shouldn't ever be far enough away from the machine to worry about letting a fire get that big in the first place.

I keep one of these by my laser, as well as two more of them in the kitchen. Thankfully haven't had to use one on the laser yet, but we did recently have a small grease fire caused by an accidental oil spill (I mean, not like an Exxon-Valdez level event or anything, just an unfortunate splash on the burner) and all it took was about a 0.5 second burst to extinguish it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001229JCU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's what's awesome about fires. Each one is a small, easily-handled nothingburger barely worth mentioning, until it isn't :v:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, if you're not leaving it unattended, any flare ups that are enough to be addressed can be dealt with using a quick blast that won't significantly alter the air composition unless you're working in a broom closet and this is the 4th flare up in the last couple of minutes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's what's awesome about fires. Each one is a small, easily-handled nothingburger barely worth mentioning, until it isn't :v:
'It's not a major problem until it is a major problem' describes just about every major problem ever.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Okay. the PrusaSlicers cut/connector function is officially awesome. I printed a hi-def model I wanted to paint and realized, "Hey, I can cut off all the parts and paint them like I do with my wargame minis".

My joy cannot be understood until you compare spray priming an already assembled model with spray priming a model that is not assembled yet.

I also can choose where to place the connector which is much more than I can say for any other detailed miniature models out there.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 12, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just wanted to say that I pulled out a spool of PETG that's been open for uhhhhhh at least 2 years now, and I live a mile away from the Pacific ocean, and with absolutely no drying or other preparation it printed just beautifully with no blobs or strings on ~my prusa~

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

Just wanted to say that I pulled out a spool of PETG that's been open for uhhhhhh at least 2 years now, and I live a mile away from the Pacific ocean, and with absolutely no drying or other preparation it printed just beautifully with no blobs or strings on ~my prusa~

watch out, the authority on 3d printing in here will consider this a useless post!

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I can tell the difference after a few days but it's subtle. More surface imperfections and oozing than blobs or strings. Also printing on a Prusa.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Playing with vase mode, got my line width set at 1.75mm on a 0.6mm nozzle, like an idiot I jumped right in and didn't do a test piece to see how close I'm actually getting to it. I know I was way under at first but visually these lines are fat as hell since I dialed this PLA up to 260. Got a 1.8mm CHT on the way, interested to see how that turns out for vases.

edit: test piece completed, 1.63mm, not too bad for this far into the fringes of the settings. Needs work.

edit2: a little extrusion multiplier got it pretty much dead nuts, 1.72

slurm fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 13, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I just wanna say that PortLister is a must-have OctoPrint plugin. It auto-connects Octoprint to your printer so you don't have to manually do it. I leave my Octopi server running all the time so it's been handy.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
Neptune 3 Pro is back in stock on elegoo’s site for the US and UK

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

I just wanna say that PortLister is a must-have OctoPrint plugin. It auto-connects Octoprint to your printer so you don't have to manually do it. I leave my Octopi server running all the time so it's been handy.

There's a settings option to auto connect when the server starts up. I can't remember the last time I had to manually connect. What's the difference with your setup?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm trying to calibrate my new Photon M3 and just wondering if anyone could spot a reason my my print times are taking twice what my estimated print times are.

I know they're not totally reliable, but my old Photon S was usually just 10 or 15% slower and this thing is talking almost twice as a long. An estimated 32 minute calibration print is taking a real time 57 minutes on the printer, it just seems wrong somehow.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

FWIW this is my Voron forums build log: https://forum.vorondesign.com/threads/my-voron-ldo-trident-300.467/

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sagebrush posted:

There's a settings option to auto connect when the server starts up. I can't remember the last time I had to manually connect. What's the difference with your setup?

if you leave the server running all the time but turn off the printer, you'll have to hit reconnect when you turn the printer back on. i dunno that one needs a whole rear end plugin to fix that, but hey if it's convenient why not?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah. My octoprint instance is running on a raspberry pi powered from the printer PSU, so they both go up and down simultaneously.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, my octopi server seems to get a little laggy if I leave it running for months, so I have it set to same power switch as my 3d printer. Only downside is having to install updates on the octopi when I turn it on after a few weeks, but that's a minor inconvenience.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ryanrs posted:

I don't need anything made of continuous fiber, yet. But I wanted to understand more about it in the context of high-end industrial 3D printing. I know continuous fiber printers exist, though. Maybe you just indicate what part is the bottom, and feed it through the normal slicer software, and you get what you get?

I design relatively simple parts in Solidworks, then have them made through brokers/job shops. My goal is to replace parts of my offroad minivan with custom designed parts using every manufacturing method I can get access to.

Looks like there’s no official one that we know of, I’d annotate you print plane and material and all that in your MBD or drawings.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Those of you that do Etsy stores, did you incorporate a business and claim your business purchases on your tax returns? I did and it is was very, very worthwhile. Suggest it to all posters.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Don't know about the USA but in Canada you can become a sole proprietorship and get similar benefits. (i.e. the ability to claim business expenses.) Far lower barrier to entry and incorporation.

Incorporation (in Canada, anyway) means you literally become a corporation & have rules about how to do certain things, by law an accountant needs to do your taxes, you have a board, etc. Not worth doing unless your business is so successful that it's making "extra" money, so to speak. Like, after all business is done and expenses are paid, you still have money such that you're thinking "what's the best way to handle this money left after taking care of that other poo poo?" That's my understanding according to accountants I consulted with, anyway.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I need to fix the airflow for my laser cutter, but I'd rather not be running jobs to do so, generating smoke I don't want to breath.

I need to both figure out how to have the Glowforge run the exhaust fan while it's not doing anything, but more importantly, is there a colorful, safe to breath smoke type thing I could use to figure this out? Basically see if the smoke's coming out the front of the Glowforge's air intake when it shouldn't be?

I'm going to guess no, that doesn't exist, so I'll just need to have someone hold their hand in front of the front intake as I move around the exhaust tube and exhaust setup to try and make sure as much air as possible is going out the back.

I know it's never going to be zero sum, and it's better after doing a deep clean last week, but it's not as nice as it was with our old setup that had a better path to the exhaust.

I also looked up swapping to the official air filter from Glowforge, and for what we prefer to print (1/8" plywood) it's the worst lifespan by a ton, as little as 40 hours, but I've heard some people were having their filters fail at 20 hours of cutting: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/4638269354395-Glowforge-Air-Filter-Cartridge-Lifespan

$250 for 40 hours of cutting is way too expensive for us, so the air filter is a no-go.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Those of you that do Etsy stores, did you incorporate a business and claim your business purchases on your tax returns? I did and it is was very, very worthwhile. Suggest it to all posters.

Is this worth it for Etsy stores that do less than like $200 in sales a year?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

saw someone on a discord post the saddest lookin benchy ever looked like someone squeeezed a tube of calk onto the bed.

Everyone was trying to help troubleshoot..

Turns out guy just like took some gcode from thangs and put on an SD card and tried to print it. No wonder why it was so hosed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh geez, post the pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Oh geez, post the pic

Found it