Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

CatstropheWaitress posted:

"No break next week."

I need something to snack on though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

BoosterDuck posted:

I need something to snack on though

Reeses Sticks the final perfect form of the product line, go with those.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

so did pedro actually do anything or did he just suicide bomb for the vibes

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The dude who can make limbs out of candy lost one of his flesh arms.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Specifically, candy dude candy glued the Sunny to the coast, so he blew himself up to either take out Perosperos or break the candy (or both?)

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

RuBisCO posted:

Specifically, candy dude candy glued the Sunny to the coast, so he blew himself up to either take out Perosperos or break the candy (or both?)

I think Pedro knew that the bombs would break the candy, but was also hoping to take out Perospero at the same time as a bonus.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Hey, what was the name of that communist/marxist parody of ch 1 which was doing the rounds like a decade ago? Does anyone have a link to it?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

jassa posted:

Hey, what was the name of that communist/marxist parody of ch 1 which was doing the rounds like a decade ago? Does anyone have a link to it?

One Class, from page 1 - https://imgur.com/a/aTrl3#MKv3BSP

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

If you mean did the bomb accomplish anything, yes, it broke them out of the candy situation for long enough to get the ship moving. If you mean in the arc up to that point, I remember he fought Baron Tamago for a while which let Brook continue on to the poneglyphs iirc

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
That said, he was always planning to blow himself up, he carried that giant stack of explosives throughout the whole arc and pulled it out at every given opportunity. Dude was just looking for an excuse.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I forget the details, but Pedro had already lost most of his lifespan to Big Mom at some point in the past and was at about the end of his time. He really wanted a reason to go out with a bang.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Thank you! I forgot this thread had a beginning (and that the parody might have been linked there).

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

robin gay for yamato?? hell, same

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mabels big day posted:

If you mean did the bomb accomplish anything, yes, it broke them out of the candy situation for long enough to get the ship moving. If you mean in the arc up to that point, I remember he fought Baron Tamago for a while which let Brook continue on to the poneglyphs iirc

The Baron Tamago fight is incredible.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really liked Baron Tamago, funny egg man with chicken evolutions and a rivalry with Pedro, camaraderie with Pekmons (they were a duo for so long that he was willing to try and ask for leniency for Pekoms), and an actual respect for the Straw Hats.

Too bad the arc was so densely packed that he didn't really appear that often and his rival ended up sacrificing himself for the Straw Hats.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
So I just finished this a couple weeks ago after starting with Chapter 1 in June. Got through chapter 400ish during the summer and took a break until November. It was a slog but worth it. The new arc is loving dope and I’m glad I can read it week by week with you punks.

I’m not going to make a long post about what I liked and didn’t like because I hate those (though someone did ask me to do one someday).

So I’ll just say Nico Robin, Vivi, Tashigi, and Sanji’s sister are best girl. Buggy, Shanks, Luffy, Yamato, and Jinbei are best boy. Albasta, Water 7, and Dressrossa are probably my favorite arcs and Skypeia and Fishman Island bored the balls off me. I’ve been told my taste in arcs is poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Skypiea owns you heathen

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

bengraven posted:

So I just finished this a couple weeks ago after starting with Chapter 1 in June. Got through chapter 400ish during the summer and took a break until November. It was a slog but worth it. The new arc is loving dope and I’m glad I can read it week by week with you punks.

I’m not going to make a long post about what I liked and didn’t like because I hate those (though someone did ask me to do one someday).

So I’ll just say Nico Robin, Vivi, Tashigi, and Sanji’s sister are best girl. Buggy, Shanks, Luffy, Yamato, and Jinbei are best boy. Albasta, Water 7, and Dressrossa are probably my favorite arcs and Skypeia and Fishman Island bored the balls off me. I’ve been told my taste in arcs is poo poo.

Your taste is mostly fine, but Skypeia is great, you heretic

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

AtomikKrab posted:

Your taste is mostly fine, but Skypeia is great, you heretic

I got yelled at on the internetz for saying Skypeia wasn’t great so that’s why I say my taste isn’t great - that arc alone.

I might re-read it. I honestly think my issue was doing a heavy binge and being exhausted when I read it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

starting to get the impression vegapunk is an rear end man from these outfits

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bengraven posted:

I got yelled at on the internetz for saying Skypeia wasn’t great so that’s why I say my taste isn’t great - that arc alone.

I might re-read it. I honestly think my issue was doing a heavy binge and being exhausted when I read it.

People forget but most people especially back when skypia was first being printed, weren't too hot on the arc during their first read through. It's only been over time, with a greater picture of the series as a whole, and nostalgia and the ability to skip to whatever parts they enjoy and read forward, that the arcs reputation has improved.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Anyways im all caught up now. What a ride! Excited to learn about the Kuma's tragic backstory as Luffy gains a sister in Bonney

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Julias posted:

People forget but most people especially back when skypia was first being printed, weren't too hot on the arc during their first read through. It's only been over time, with a greater picture of the series as a whole, and nostalgia and the ability to skip to whatever parts they enjoy and read forward, that the arcs reputation has improved.

I loving loved Wano but I’ve heard the last couple years or so that it’s been going on really dragged people down. It probably benefited me to finish my reread just as Wano had ended so I could enjoy it without it dragging me.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

People have said similar things about Dressrosa too (slow and dragging on when read week to week, but well paced in one sitting).

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's kind of funny that the community is collectively holding their breath right now on how Oda is going to handle Sanji meeting the kid Hancock (or if he does). Reminds me of the long hold on how he was going to resolve/continue to handle Yamato. It's like seeing a friend dance unknowingly into a hallway of eggshells.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
People liked a lot of Wano but I think there's a general agreement that the ending of it was super rushed.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

bengraven posted:

I loving loved Wano but I’ve heard the last couple years or so that it’s been going on really dragged people down. It probably benefited me to finish my reread just as Wano had ended so I could enjoy it without it dragging me.

People say that about any arc above 40 chapters.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

yeah I mean having just finished it, Wano definitely felt like it needed an extra chapter and a half of wind down, going straight to the obligatory Shanks cameo into loving off felt a bit whiplash -- though honestly typing it out im pretty hype to be on the train for fast moving anything-can-happen One Piece.

also my new theory for the birdcage is that no one could cut it because Doflamingo was just completely off his rocker with being a sick nasty revenge boi. I guess Admiral lad could've cutted it at the last second but he had his whole "i need luffy to win/fix this in my stead" thing going on

also whitebeard jr is 100% an early MADS clone and showing up in this arc

when will we learn religns bounty

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 15, 2023

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
That all makes sense. And yeah I really did feel like even after over 100 chapters there would have been some nice meetings to wrap up Wano. Especially the way Yamato being like “I’m going to join the crew” being such a big moment in one chapter only to be a single panel where he’s like “nah gonna stay here a bit more okay” “lol okay”.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The thing that bothered me about wano's ending was tama not being a kurozumi. She has the same purple hair and it would bury the intergenerational grudge that started wano.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Julias posted:

i dropped one piece during skypeiea and didn't pick it back up until thriller bark. which doesn't seem long but is 200~ chapters and like 4 years.

i'm ashamed of not reading it all weekly.

i've also never done a re-read of the series. I really feel like i should cause sometime folks bring up stuff that i straight up don't remember.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly my biggest issue with Wano is that Kaido is the final boss of the arc, but Big Mom losing to Kid & Law felt a lot more impactful than Kaido losing to Luffy.

Like, Big Mom's inner monologue where she's raging about how these new upstarts are changing everything, yelling at Roger for inspiring the new wave of upstarts, her frustration at not knowing what the One Piece is, and her declaration that it's not over and she won't die from something like this, right before she's blasted with enough bombs to level a city in a soundproof barrier that won't let her scream in anger, is so powerful to me.

I think it helps that Big Mom feels a lot more, I dunno, human? a multifaceted character? than Kaido.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It was a better fight too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also it's sorta funny how Law jumped from "loses to Doflamingo" to "takes down Big Mom" in the span of 2 arcs with no power up in between. Like yeah he had his Awakened powers in Wano but it's still funny he jumps tiers.

Luffy went from Doffy (Warlord) to Cracker (low-tier Emperor Commander) to Katakuri (top-tier Emperor Commander) to Kaido (Emperor) and then he lost to Kaido and had to go through a training arc, and then two plot-related power ups (learning to use Conqueror's in attacks and his fruit awakening) to finally beat Kaido.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Big Mom had a whole ~3 year arc fleshing out her and her very extended family, while the land they laid claim to were treated as extensions of them. Wano's storytelling mostly had to do with Wano and its numerous people, while the Animal Kingdom Pirates were just the local antagonistic occupiers.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Also it's sorta funny how Law jumped from "loses to Doflamingo" to "takes down Big Mom" in the span of 2 arcs with no power up in between. Like yeah he had his Awakened powers in Wano but it's still funny he jumps tiers.

Kidd was there too. he probably helped

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Luffy went from Doffy (Warlord) to Cracker (low-tier Emperor Commander) to Katakuri (top-tier Emperor Commander) to Kaido (Emperor) and then he lost to Kaido and had to go through a training arc, and then two plot-related power ups (learning to use Conqueror's in attacks and his fruit awakening) to finally beat Kaido.

That Kaido was a real tough customer.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think it helped that Law's quiet room power was a hard counter to Big Mom's

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Law was getting owned by Blackbeard's group even before he arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sure, but he hadn't even started busting out the Krooms yet!