Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

It feels like Viz might be more accurate on the first page. Because TCB's TL implies that Megumi had the potential to surpass Sukune but Viz says it's just that Megumi wouldn't outright die with a merger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TheHan posted:

oh also I really really hope Angel comes out on top next chapter, cause otherwise her treatment would leave a lovely taste in my mouth. she’s barely had a chapter of screentime and her Megumi obsession was shoved in SO late and clumsily it literally did nothing for her character and just served to set up this scene.

Honestly, same. This is just getting bleak and bitter now.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Personally I would consider choking someone out and force feeding another person a finger “harming them” but I’m not Judge Jujutsu Judy so what do I know

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

Honestly, same. This is just getting bleak and bitter now.

The way its set up makes me think theres gonna be a reversal, since the cliffhanger is mid sentence. But Gege does what gege does :shrug:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Personally I would consider choking someone out and force feeding another person a finger “harming them” but I’m not Judge Jujutsu Judy so what do I know

Unfortunately as we found out, this binding vow hinged itself on Yuji's internal definitions of things so if Megumi hadn't survived the finger ingestion Sukuna would be hosed. But Megumi's body was in fact A-OK so it didn't break the rules.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

yum posted:

Sorcerors on team good dropping like flies left and right because they aren't selfish enough/put their trust in others/are too sentimental, etc. Good qualities to have to be a Good Person but not necessarily to be a Good Jujutsu sorcerer.

Gojo, an enlightened mortal probably the closest to transcendent beings like Sukuna/Tengan, is trapped in a tiny box forever because he values his friendship and memories with Geto. Plus, he didn't disintegrate the body to be respectful of the dead, enabling Kenjaku to attain what appears to be The Perfect Vessel in who knows how many hundreds of years and letting him enable The Perfect Plan at the Perfect Moment in History. Nice.

Special grade sorcerer and top-tier compatibility as an avatar for the transcendent being Tengan, Yuki, trusted said transcendent being too much and did not go for a domain expansion vs domain expansion battle with Kenjaku, opting for a simple domain which got obliterated instantly. Sure, she probably would have lost in the domain fight anyways since the more "refined" domain is supposed to win, but that's the point of being a Jujutsu sorcerer!! Even Sukuna does it; put your life on the line and go all out!! Gamble (You Will Always Win)!!! She went for the bunt instead of swinging for the fences and died (???) alone.

Megumi translates to blessings. Maybe if he had followed through on Gojo's criticism of being too self-sacrificing and changed his mindset towards a more self-centred one, like spending more time selfishly developing his technique (his blessing) and less time worrying about saving others, he wouldn't have had this momentary lapse and been able to stop Sukuna from stealing his gift. The 10 Shadows is said to be on the same level as Gojo's limitless/infinity. This might not have happened if Megumi's mentality wasn't in shock from the betrayal. But then again, this is after days (weeks?) of constant physical and psychological stress, being left to fend for themselves after the loss of the all-reliable Gojo, probably something inconceivable a few months prior, and this unexpected twist occurred right when they thought they were ahead. Plus, if Megumi weren't Megumi, he'd probably be like the other Zenin pricks.

Yuji is also partially at fault for his self-sacrificing and kind nature by not considering himself as part of the binding vow. Sure, it's also because he wasn't taught how vows work, but his instinct was to exclude himself, which Sukuna exploited. Sukuna tore out Yuji's heart and held it hostage during their first interaction, you'd think he would remember something like that, but Yuji's too trusting by nature. I think Gege also mentioned that Megumi was the actual heroine of the story (Megumi confirmed dead for sure!!!!) since he always needed rescuing from Yuji. Let's see how that plays out!!

Yuta is hyped as the sorcerer of this era that is second only to Gojo in unusual abilities but he was also criticized for the same reasons above. He hasn't revealed all of his cards yet, but we know he's incredibly powerful solely from the fact that apparently, the more vague your technique is, the more hosed up/op poo poo it can do? He has a domain expansion, how does it interact with a technique like Copy + he can store far more techniques than Kenjaku's 4, which was giving a special grade like Yuki an incredibly difficult time. But even with all of that, he might be able to give Kenjaku a run for his money, but definitely not a 10-shadows wielding Sukuna. Plus, he's lost his protagonist privileges, Gege will definitely use him as an example to demonstrate how powerful one of the op bad guys is.

but hey, this is a shonen, so the theme of jjk isn't only bad things will happen if you put your faith in others. You can see the positive ripple effects/karma of Gojo/Megumi/Yuji's philosophy of saving others through people like Angel and whatever awesome thing the lawyer dude will do when he shows up again. Lifes hard and we should help each other regardless of whether there any immediate benefit <- lets see how gege will show this if he can stick the ending since he's said he wants to end the series within a year

At this point, every tragedy could have been avoided if the main characters thought logically instead of emotionally.

RatHat posted:

I'm guessing Megumi being emotionally unstable right now from his "sister's" betrayal made him easier to possess or something.

You were right

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Haven't read the thread since the pre-spoiler two weeks ago and need to catch up.

Incredible stuff, just so so good. Main thoughts are

Willl Yuji have absorbed cursed energy and technique by now even without being Sukuna's Vessel. I'll lose it if we see a "cleave" from him any time soon.

Kashimo is perfectly lined up to unleash his godly nuke ability on Sukuna (being a follower of Hakari nation already paying dividends) before being stomped. That's gonna be insanely cool.

That Nue double page is incredible, absolutely gobsmacked when he popped that out. I wonder if this is because Sukuna can use his new vessel's technique or if it's due to the true nature of his technique he hinted at while fighting Gojo. Either way it was cool as all hell. Really curious if he'll show us what a completed Chimera Shadow Garden looks like.

I think someone needs to sneak away and phone Okkotsu the same way you'd secretly call your mam to collect you early from the sleepover

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

10 Shadows prob can scale off how much cursed energy the user has, as well as Sukuna seemingly knowing the true essence of what cursed energy is it makes since he could bring out summons to the extreme.

It feels like the imprinting thing was purely a red herring by this point and if Yuji will learn/obtain anything it will either be from a near death experience or somehow related to his mother.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yuji using cleave would be so cool though. God Sukuna out and about just vibing opens up so many countless cool interactions and possibilities. The change up is so so good. Cannot wait for Sundays chapter.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Could you imagine Black Flash Cleave and how it would look.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Lowering brain power to memory and homeostasis to redirect it to this

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It would cut through the page and harm the reader directly

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Yuji using cleave would be so cool though. God Sukuna out and about just vibing opens up so many countless cool interactions and possibilities. The change up is so so good. Cannot wait for Sundays chapter.

It was inevitable he would come out, there were so many setups for it with multiple characters gunning for him. But the best part is how it happened, Yuji can’t basically live his life not caring if he lives or dies anymore because he’s the one who setup this mess.

The onslaught of guilt he’s gonna feel for being the cause of Sukuna pulling this off and how he goes about fixing it is gonna be a pretty excellent character moment

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Asuron posted:

It was inevitable he would come out, there were so many setups for it with multiple characters gunning for him. But the best part is how it happened, Yuji can’t basically live his life not caring if he lives or dies anymore because he’s the one who setup this mess.

The onslaught of guilt he’s gonna feel for being the cause of Sukuna pulling this off and how he goes about fixing it is gonna be a pretty excellent character moment

Oh for sure but up until now it was hard to see how we got there. Of course Sukuna had to come out to play especially with Kashimo. It was just hard to see how Yuji would ever agree to release him. It was also explicit that Sukuna couldn't take control back by force and enchain had the no killing rule. This is such a good solution because it opens up so many cool Sukuna fights and schemes while being a terrible thing. It feels like we've gone off the edge of a cliff.

I've quite enjoyed the culling game generally, I think a bit more than the current consensus. However this switch up has just immediately shot it up to the heights of the Shibuya Incident without warning.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Culling Game has a lot of cool moments but also feels less then the sum of its parts

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

disagree culling game is really good and imo people should just reread it from the start because it flows better that way

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I think the Culling Games are great and the only kinda weak part was the first half of Maki’s half which immediately redeemed itself when Mr Sumo and Mr Katana entered

Yuji , Hakari’s and Yuta’s parts are just fantastic the whole way through with some of my favourite moments throughout the whole series.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
JJK is on break this week :negative:

here's something cool based on the latest chapter though
https://twitter.com/EO_kyara/status/1624805537237045254?s=20

this account is doing this for other chapters in the culling game as well

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So any idea if the current situation benefits Kenjaku?

Sukuna has seem like such a wild card I feel like it could go either way here.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

RevolverDivider posted:

The Culling Game has a lot of cool moments but also feels less then the sum of its parts

IMO its due to the extreme rules lawyering thats going on each chapter nearly it feels like. There is a lot of cool stuff going on, but putting it into context of both the culling game and the larger story has been seriously hard for me especially with how he's jumped from plot to plot rapidly. It makes it harder to appreciate the cool stuff when you're constantly trying to square what info you've been given with the enormous amount already there and how does it fit etc.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Electric Phantasm posted:

So any idea if the current situation benefits Kenjaku?

Sukuna has seem like such a wild card I feel like it could go either way here.

Sukuna rather enjoys being himself and other people being people so he can enjoy himself through horrible acts.

Kenjaku doing curse third impact does put a stop to that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

disagree culling game is really good and imo people should just reread it from the start because it flows better that way

I did and it still is really not very good. It is meandering and poorly explained and while it has cool moments they only feel loosely connected to the concept itself. Characters get introduced in a rush which removes a lot of emotional stakes (Angel being the latest victim of this) and while there are cool fights they tend to be more cool in a vacuum than satisfying conflict fights.

It isn't series ruining or anything but it feels like a bunch of random ideas thrown at the wall and the fact a good number are cool ideas doesn't really change that

The latest stuff is cool because it is paying off long running plots, same way Maki's thing was cool.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
the culling game has been a super confusing overarching storyline with some of the best action and character work i've ever read in shonen. the Yuta 1 v 1 v 1 (v 1!!!! the roach curse twist was great) and Hakari has a throne in my heart, but I couldn't begin to tell you what effect those fights had on this arc.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The thing about the culling game is that, if he really wants to end the manga this year, this is basically the final arc. Like there might be a last mini-arc afterwards, but there's really only time for wrapping this one up and then just dealing with whoever is left.

So it's not just judged as a part of the story, it's the final part of the story. And as the final part it's a bit weak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

the culling game has been a super confusing overarching storyline with some of the best action and character work i've ever read in shonen. the Yuta 1 v 1 v 1 (v 1!!!! the roach curse twist was great) and Hakari has a throne in my heart, but I couldn't begin to tell you what effect those fights had on this arc.

The lawyer fight is my favorite fight in the manga. It has some amazing moments, don't get me wrong.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm gonna compare this arc to Hunter x Hunter's Chimera Ant arc. We basically just got to the equivalent of the palace invasion, which was so good it elevated the rest of the Chimera Ant arc and made most people forget they were pretty lukewarm on the arc up until that point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

Probably because everything prior had been leading to the Shibuya arc and afterwards the story has been finding it's new legs. Not to say I haven't found the culling game to be enjoyable. But it's been fight after fight trying to distinguish itself while also developing this new plot of Kenjaku's whole deal.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the culling game needs to get all its active moving parts in one place now.
Im also enjoying it but Geges over extended a little.
Shibuya had so much impact because its every character we know pavked into a small place and everything that can go wrong has gone wrong

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Kenjaku's whole thing is that after 1000 years of experience, he's an improvisation master. Sukuna is more akin to a natural disaster, so whatever he does, Kenjaku probably has some way to account for it. Plus, the last time we saw Kenjaku he was with Uraume who was preparing a "bath" or something for Sukuna at the Zenin massacre site, he certainly doesn't seem to be opposing Sukuna, at least for now.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

He also outright directly addressed Sukuna at the end of Shibuya by telling him the Golden age is returning and very much seems to not be threatened at all by him being a factor giving him only caring about killing or removing people that could mess with his plans from his own view atleast.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Yeah, I'm more interested in what Sukuna thinks of Kenjaku. So far he's only really expressed interest in Gojo, Uraume, and Megumi.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

An idea I was kicking around on a walk earlier is that Kenjaku and Sukuna aren't allies. What if Kenjaku wants to control Sukuna instead of allowing him to run free. Everyone seemed pretty shocked that Yuji could control his body even after incarnating. Kenjaku thanked the girl from chapter 1 for looking after his son. We also know that (according to Kenjaku) Yuji swallowing the finger was no accident. My assumption previously had been that Yuji's body was created specially to house Sukuna. I think it'd be cool if it wasn't planned for Yuji to be a vessel but instead to be a prison for Sukuna. So Kenjaku could much more easily control have access to Sukuna's power. I wonder what would happen for example if Kenjaku brain hopped to Yuji. It'd be crazy if now Kenjaku ended up having to try and get Sukuna back into Yuji.

yum posted:

Yeah, I'm more interested in what Sukuna thinks of Kenjaku. So far he's only really expressed interest in Gojo, Uraume, and Megumi.

Me too. I feel like if they were direct allies they'd have been able to communicate by now in some way. I assume Uraume is just hanging with Kenjaku as someone from the Heian era rather than being part of their cause/group really.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

EmmyOk posted:

I wonder what would happen for example if Kenjaku brain hopped to Yuji.

I wonder if the terms of the Enchain binding vow would still be in effect if he did this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I wonder if the terms of the Enchain binding vow would still be in effect if he did this.

That’s interesting. I can’t remember the exact translation but iirc it’s not clear if enchain is a one time usage or not. Either way a cool thing to think about though I think Kenjaku would be too sharp to get caught out in a similar way.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

EmmyOk posted:

That’s interesting. I can’t remember the exact translation but iirc it’s not clear if enchain is a one time usage or not. Either way a cool thing to think about though I think Kenjaku would be too sharp to get caught out in a similar way.

It's definitely not one time use, my question is more about the fact that the vow is between Sukuna and Yuji. Kenjaku would be controlling the body, but it's still Yuji's body, so does the vow remain in effect?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

EmmyOk posted:

An idea I was kicking around on a walk earlier is that Kenjaku and Sukuna aren't allies. What if Kenjaku wants to control Sukuna instead of allowing him to run free. Everyone seemed pretty shocked that Yuji could control his body even after incarnating. Kenjaku thanked the girl from chapter 1 for looking after his son. We also know that (according to Kenjaku) Yuji swallowing the finger was no accident. My assumption previously had been that Yuji's body was created specially to house Sukuna. I think it'd be cool if it wasn't planned for Yuji to be a vessel but instead to be a prison for Sukuna. So Kenjaku could much more easily control have access to Sukuna's power. I wonder what would happen for example if Kenjaku brain hopped to Yuji. It'd be crazy if now Kenjaku ended up having to try and get Sukuna back into Yuji.

Me too. I feel like if they were direct allies they'd have been able to communicate by now in some way. I assume Uraume is just hanging with Kenjaku as someone from the Heian era rather than being part of their cause/group really.

I like this theory because Tengen had mutated enough to become susceptible to cursed spirit manipulation. Sukuna is definitely the same type of being

Instead of hijacking yuji’s body he could just enslave him

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
couldn’t kenjaku just separate the incanted souls from their hosts with mahito’s CT

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

skipmyseashells posted:

couldn’t kenjaku just separate the incanted souls from their hosts with mahito’s CT

He apparently only had a single use of it.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
oh yeah I already forgot the yuki fight and by extension the whole reason the culling game kicked off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I reread the Hakari/Kashimo fight now it's finished. It's really good and one of my favourite in the series. The fight lets them both demonstrate their skills but also ends up underselling them a bit at the same time. Only Yuta and Gojo could just flat out ignore Kashimo's lightning trait, due to sheer quantity of CE and Limitless respectively.. Probably Yuki too though I can't recall how much CE she's said to have. Kashimo's guaranteed hits and ability to build a stronger charge is a kill shot on pretty much anyone else but Hakari can just keep shrugging them off.

On the other hand Kashimo's high CE as well as absurdly good hand to hand skills undersell how strong Hakari is during his jackpot. Okkotsu against Yuji is a somewhat similar fight. A person with very high CE against someone with much better hand to hand skills. Yuta isn't bad at fighting but he's not on Itadori's level. Similarly we saw Hakari fight impressively against Charles and immediately finding his blindspots. He's still totally outclassed by Kashimo in actual combat technique. I'm very excited to see more fights from both of them though I suspect for Kashimo we'll only see the Sukuna showdown.

On a separate note I've some questions about Yuki's CT and what people think about that. Kenjaku says that concepts won't work on her so he can't use a Special Grade curse like he did at Shibuya. is the SG he's referring to the one he used in the tunnel against MeiMei or did he use one at some other point? Is what he's saying that CT abilities that target users based on rules/concepts won't affect her? Something like limitless wouldn't work on her?

I've bee rereading parts of the culling game but think I'm just going to start a full series reread again. I've all the volumes now so I'll get the benefit of all the author notes and omake this time too.