Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Motronic posted:

How long were the tero baits out? They take a lot longer than neurotoxins, but also work better because they stay alive long enough to bring the active agent back into their hives.

Sometimes you've just got a problem big enough that you need immediate correction with something like talstar, and that's all fine. But you'll probably still have ants around after the initial die-off and that's where keeping some tero baits out and around will take care of the rest of the problem in a few more weeks.

Terro was out for 2-3 weeks. I have a few good size mounds within 15’ of each other. As long as I take these out and they don’t make it inside the homestead I’ll be fairly satisfied. Living in Orlando so the ants are constantly marching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

nbakyfan posted:

Has anyone had to go full out war against ants in their yard? I have placed 4-6 terro stakes and the ants seemed to eat all the source without consequences. Just laid Amdro ant pellets this morning and those suckers were taking them down to their hill fast. One did crawl up my leg and bite me while I was watching in joy. Jerks.

To clarify, are you talking about ants that are making their way into the interior of your property through your yard? Or are you trying to control ants within the outside area of your property?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 13, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

nbakyfan posted:

Terro was out for 2-3 weeks. I have a few good size mounds within 15’ of each other. As long as I take these out and they don’t make it inside the homestead I’ll be fairly satisfied. Living in Orlando so the ants are constantly marching.

If you really want to go to war against ants, Motronic mentioned Talstar and that poo poo works. My last house I had a massive issue with ants. I backed up to a greenbelt full of ant mounds and I couldn't keep them out of the backyard where my kids would play.

This poo poo right here spread out in my yard took care of it. You might be able to find it cheaper locally at a local landscape supply place like Site One. I liked the granules, but you can use the liquid as well.

https://www.domyown.com/talstar-pl-granular-insecticide-p-47.html

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Give them a magnifying glass

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hi guys. I'm working on remodeling my hallway, and I've got some cracks that are persistent and really causing me a headache. I tried covering them with joint compound in early '22 but it never really worked. They're still visible today, and while they aren't getting worse, just slapping joint compound over them wasn't the solution. I'd like to really fix them, because I'm ready to paint and put up some wainscotting/wallpaper, and I don't want these cracks messing it all up.

Yesterday I went in with a paint scraper and opened them all up. My original intent was to use a stretch acrylic sealant:

Once I opened them up they seemed maybe a little too big for this stuff, so I wanted to do some more research and solicit opinions before I move forward.

I watched some videos on youtube and most are filling the cracks with a type of joint compound and maybe using mesh tape. My concern with the mesh tape is that none of the cracks are wide enough for the tape to sit below the surface of the wall, so anywhere I'd put the tape it would end up a raised surface.

If the stretchy acrylic caulk isn't the right tool for the job, I have these two products on hand:

My questions: is the sealant caulk a good tool for this? If not, are the two bags of plaster I have on hand good materials for this? If not, what should I use? Should I try to use tape?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help I've gotten here over the last several years as a new homeowner.

I posted this a week or so ago and you guys had some good feedback. While looking into some of the options, I figured I'd give that flexible acrylic caulk a shot.

I picked a single cracked and filled it with the flexible acrylic caulk, and made sure it filled the cavities, but didn't sit above the wall level. After giving it a couple days to dry I put two coats of basic joint compound over it, and it looks completely fine. Of course, it's only been two days. I'm tempted to use this everywhere, but I've got two concerns before I do:

1. Do you think it's possible that over the time the caulk will dry and pulled away from the plaster inside of the crack?
2. Even though the caulk is flexible, the joint compound sitting over top presumably isn't. If there's movement again that puts pressure on the same spot, is the thin layer of joint compound just going to crack?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Yes it will crack again, no two days is not enough for it to crack again. Assuming it's drywall then, as has been mentioned, the fix is to tape and mud it properly. Acrylic sealant isn't a repair method for drywall cracks.

If it's plaster then you need to excavate down to the lathe around the crack and apply new plaster because cracks like that on plaster appear where the keys have fallen off and it's no longer attached to the lathe at all. You will also need to use plaster washers to secure the remaining old plaster and then skim over those as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

As soon as there's any significant temp/humidity change that's gonna crack again and you'll have an even bigger mess to clean up.

Not sure how your takeaway from that advice given was to do......that.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

It's lath and plaster, yeah. I wouldn't expect it to have cracked again in two days of course.

My takeaway wasn't to do that specifically, but nobody said don't do it, so I thought I'd see how it behaved. It's only like 12" of wall, it wasn't like a major investment of time.

Before I spend weeks digging out all these cracks and reapplying plaster, is it possible that the walls shifted and cracked a single time, and that a new plaster job that doesn't penetrate all the way to the lath would be sufficient? There are a couple spots that the cracks seem to run a little deeper, but lots of it appears to be surface level. I'm gauging by how hard it was to open up the crack further; a few spots gave away quickly, while others felt like the existing crack was only a couple mm deep.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

, but nobody said don't do it,

This is how Groverhaus happened

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Before I spend weeks digging out all these cracks and reapplying plaster, is it possible that the walls shifted and cracked a single time

Yes. But you'd be able to see repaired or unrepaired structural damage (probably in your basement).

and that a new plaster job that doesn't penetrate all the way to the lath would be sufficient?

Unlikely. You're missing that part where plaster changes shape due to temperature and humidity. It will continue to re-crack in any area where it's insufficiently bonded, supported and repaired to make it once again a part of that wall that can remain together as a unit as a unit even if your have a magical house that is 100% stable now.

If you live in a seismically sound area with consistent temperature and humidity even a poor fix may last for many years. In other areas a poor fix may not make it through springtime.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

Yes. But you'd be able to see repaired or unrepaired structural damage (probably in your basement).

Unlikely. You're missing that part where plaster changes shape due to temperature and humidity. It will continue to re-crack in any area where it's insufficiently bonded, supported and repaired to make it once again a part of that wall that can remain together as a unit as a unit even if your have a magical house that is 100% stable now.

If you live in a seismically sound area with consistent temperature and humidity even a poor fix may last for many years. In other areas a poor fix may not make it through springtime.

Well actually yes. The PO spent quite a sum of money ($30k?) having the whole house propped up with a big beam in the basement because at one point the house was sagging. Everyone that's been down there commented that it was a well done job and that they didn't skimp. So maybe it won't shift around now? We live in Buffalo, which while it had a 4.4 earthquake just last week, is traditionally very seismically stable. Although temp and humidity is obviously anything other than stable.

I guess I'm on the path of digging them out as best I can, using the basic base coat plaster I have (image in prior posts) with a mesh tape, and finishing with a whole area skim coat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I guess I'm on the path of digging them out as best I can, using the basic base coat plaster I have (image in prior posts) with a mesh tape, and finishing with a whole area skim coat.

Without a full gut or furring strips and sheet rock yes, this is the best you can hope to do. It will work or it won't work.

Anything less is guaranteed to not work.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Minor point, but I use paper tape on areas I expect to crack. It's solid so it can conceal cracks that form underneath in a way that mesh tape can't. Which could be an advantage in this situation.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If you're going to be doing a TON of taping get yourself a banjo and learn how to use it.

That may be beyond the scope of normal DIY homeowner use. But if you have to re-drywall your whole house it'd be worthwhile.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If you're going to be doing a TON of taping get yourself a banjo and learn how to use it.

That may be beyond the scope of normal DIY homeowner use. But if you have to re-drywall your whole house it'd be worthwhile.
Well I wish I'd read this before committing to the mandolin.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am looking at flooring options for my family room. Between the judge’s paneling, fireplace and sliding door the room doesn’t have any floor boards. I think this basically leaves me carpet and tile as my only options?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

but nobody said don't do it,
To quote my uncle, 'I just cant think of enough things to tell those kids not to do'

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Crossposting a bit from fix it fast: any opinions on heat pump water heaters? Pacific Gas & Electric (my utility) has some pretty juicy rebate incentives for 'em, and I'm about due to replace my gas heater. I live in a coastal area where it rarely gets below 40F and practically never goes below freezing. I should have plenty of space for a bulkier unit. Powering it will require some panel upgrades which I'm looking into. Mostly I'm wondering if there's any major drawbacks to the tech that I need to know about...all of the materials I can find online are relentlessly upbeat, basically marketing copy.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Crossposting a bit from fix it fast: any opinions on heat pump water heaters? Pacific Gas & Electric (my utility) has some pretty juicy rebate incentives for 'em, and I'm about due to replace my gas heater. I live in a coastal area where it rarely gets below 40F and practically never goes below freezing. I should have plenty of space for a bulkier unit. Powering it will require some panel upgrades which I'm looking into. Mostly I'm wondering if there's any major drawbacks to the tech that I need to know about...all of the materials I can find online are relentlessly upbeat, basically marketing copy.

People seem to universally like em? idk, I think the wall warts look ugly so I'd go for a ducted one if possible - but the ductless ones require a lot less to install. There are also now a handful of window heat pump units too. Even with the incentives it might not pay itself back in energy savings for a long long long time due to the panel upgrade costs, but if you have to do an upgrade there's not much of a downside to em.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

El Mero Mero posted:

People seem to universally like em? idk, I think the wall warts look ugly so I'd go for a ducted one if possible - but the ductless ones require a lot less to install. There are also now a handful of window heat pump units too. Even with the incentives it might not pay itself back in energy savings for a long long long time due to the panel upgrade costs, but if you have to do an upgrade there's not much of a downside to em.

OP was discussing boiler replacements rather than minisplit style climate control units, so no issue with interior cassettes.

I don't actually know if you can use the same heat exchange unit to power a water heater and minisplits - I'd guess that many people with an existing boiler have hot water radiators and just keep them, but what if you want cooling too? Some people might prefer radiant heat from radiators to convection from minisplits/central air, particularly if they tend to keep their house cool.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Calidus posted:

I am looking at flooring options for my family room. Between the judge’s paneling, fireplace and sliding door the room doesn’t have any floor boards. I think this basically leaves me carpet and tile as my only options?

I don't quite get why that means you can't have wood flooring, not sure the english term (I think "engineered wood flooring") but like this

You can get varieties with various thicknesses of solid wood as the top layer, about 3-8mm normally, and loads of finishes. We had two rooms done by pros and one ourselves over a concrete base and while the pro's did do a better job they were pricey and you can't really tell the difference for the floors without looking closely (the sideboards are another story).

Otherwise "luxury vinyl tiles" are the way to go IMO, the nice ones look and feel really good.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 15, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've been looking into heat pump water heaters as well. They pretty much just use the air of wherever you put them. So in a basement it's pulling heat out of your basement air. If you're in one of those crazy places where the water heater goes in the garage, it's pulling garage air. I think you can install some ducting so they'll pull air or exhaust air somewhere else. But they're nothing like a heat pump for climate control where you've got a exterior unit pumping refrigerant to some interior mini split or furnace. It's a self contained unit.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hood vent took 4 hours to install. loving bullshit. (Didn't help I had to stop to take meetings so I could still be :airquote: working :airquote:)

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

distortion park posted:

I don't quite get why that means you can't have wood flooring, not sure the english term (I think "engineered wood flooring") but like this

You can get varieties with various thicknesses of solid wood as the top layer, about 3-8mm normally, and loads of finishes. We had two rooms done by pros and one ourselves over a concrete base and while the pro's did do a better job they were pricey and you can't really tell the difference for the floors without looking closely (the sideboards are another story).

Otherwise "luxury vinyl tiles" are the way to go IMO, the nice ones look and feel really good.

I don’t have baseboards or quarter round to hide the expansion gaps.

I installed vinyl tile in the laundry room with an extra pad. It’s nice but it really wants a perfectly flat sub floor.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Mustache Ride posted:

Hood vent took 4 hours to install. loving bullshit. (Didn't help I had to stop to take meetings so I could still be :airquote: working :airquote:)

We're currently shopping for range vents in that similar style. What did you like about the KitchenAid that made you choose it? What was such a pain in the rear end about the install?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I did KitchenAid in my whole remodel because my brother has a whirlpool insider account that gave me 20% off all purchases. So vent hood, range/oven combo, microwave, fridge and wine cooler all KitchenAid came out to about $8k. Only thing I don't like about it is the KitchenAid badge they plastered on everything but oh well. The products are great and I have no complaints.

Issue with the vent hood was that I didn't realize that I had brick on the other side of the wall, which was a pain in the rear end to work with, mostly. Ended up wheel of deathing the brick to a semi circular shape and putting a big rear end aluminum flapper on the other side, anchoring it with concrete screws, mortar and spray foam inside the house around the hole. Other than that it was easy to install, they gave me a template for the mounting holes, and I went to home depot (2 times, granted) to get 6" ducting, elbows, aluminum flapper and materials.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve got a crumbly plaster problem too: high traffic area at the top of the staircase, painted wallpaper over plaster. There’s a soft spot in the plaster about 18” square, and the paint/wallpaper has cracked in a few places where it’s gotten bumped into. I’ve tried doing a bit of compound over the cracks and dents, and it looks okay for a bit but eventually gets bumped and cracked again. The wallpaper texture is going to make any cutouts extremely obvious, any thoughts besides hiding everything behind some drywall?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You could put some new wallpaper on top.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sirotan posted:

Took exactly 5 business days to get my results but, phew

Just to follow up on this again, in case anybody found this data point useful: I had a company in this morning to give me a quote for my asbestos abatement. It's about 100sqft of flooring total comprising of 10'x10'ish kitchen floor covered in several layers of vinyl/linoleum with at least one layer having asbestos and asbestos-containing mastic, a single step, and a side entranceway landing that is maybe 2'x3'. They are quoting me $2800 for the removal, and $295 for air testing after the job is completed. Job will take one day. I don't even have to give them a deposit to get the work started either, which is nice.

Edit: oh apparently the follow-up air testing isn't even required, but it seems kinda silly not to do it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bosch 500 installed let's fuckin gooooooo :getin: :catdrugs: :awesomelon:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Bosch 500 installed let's fuckin gooooooo :getin: :catdrugs: :awesomelon:

Great choice if this is dishwasher. Good choice if it’s any other kitchen appliance.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Calidus posted:

Great choice if this is dishwasher. Good choice if it’s any other kitchen appliance.

Oh yeah, their 500 dishwasher! :cheersbird:

The 800 was Very Out Of Stock, and when I compared the two it didn't seem like it added all that much so I pulled the trigger on the 500 after checking HD's website daily for like a week and a half.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I'm going to be installing some mineral core LVP down in my house. The product instructions are helpful: "continue installing and trimming as necessary." Is there a set of decent youtube videos or a book that is not utter poo poo or trying to imfluence or sell me crap that can help me with those fun edge cases like closets and non-parallel walls?

The manufacturer recommends I use table, miter, and jigsaw blades for masonry to cut this. Since I'm an idiot and it's my first time with a table, miter, and jigsaw, is there a particular type of blade I should be looking at? Diamond... sure. Teeth or smooth? Different to rip vs trim? I have no goddamn idea.

PO pics for your enjoyment: the builder cut at the wrong joist for the duct. This was held in with some extra subfloor strips underneath and some nails, then drywall mudded over before carpeted. Other bumps in subfloor joints were also mudded to provide a smooth transition. The WTF was my note.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

LVP and laminate are usually score-and-snap for straight cuts from what I've seen. I used my cheapy B&D jigsaw with the stock blade for cutting around vents and corners as necessary, just clamp the material to your work bench to hold it stable.

If your particular manufacturer doesn't have an install video, you could try to find a similar manufacturer and look at their install videos.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think the "mineral core" part is what's important, hence the "masonry blade" recommendation.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

DkHelmet posted:

I'm going to be installing some mineral core LVP down in my house. The product instructions are helpful: "continue installing and trimming as necessary." Is there a set of decent youtube videos or a book that is not utter poo poo or trying to imfluence or sell me crap that can help me with those fun edge cases like closets and non-parallel walls?

I’m assuming limestone dust in polymer core? Seemed standard for LVP. I used a cheapie wood blade because it will dull a nice blade. For the jigsaw get a blade that cuts on the downstroke.

Also, get a guillotine cutter and a speed square from Home Depot. An oscillating multi tool or handsaw equivalent are also necessary.

Make sure you start any area (room, hallway etc) from the complex trim towards the flat wall (if possible). You generally won’t be able to slide a piece under door trim and have it lock into a neighbouring flat piece.

If you watch a few videos on installing LVP around door frames the previous paragraph will make more sense.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mmmmm backsplash grout

Anybody wanna come install crown on my cabinets? I don't wanna

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
All I want to know is why that outlet is so close to the stove.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

All I want to know is why that outlet is so close to the stove.

Look, it's impossible to predict where outlets will end up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo I've been wondering that for 4 years