Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
oh well, at least they didn't put any exclusive to the set stuff in there right? if this was sony I wouldn't be able to get cool hand luke by itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m not buying smut, I’m donating to help preserve film

https://twitter.com/vinegarsyndrome/status/1625206923758026753?s=46&t=AplOiw7TmbS_hzO32ADQ4g

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Its beautiful

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Yeah, I saw that earlier. Probably the best film scanner you can buy other than a DFT OXScan or Polar HQ.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I would’ve bought even more garbage if I knew it was going to help preserve other, different garbage

I mean this genuinely.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I just put on the Slumber Party Massacre 1&2 UHD and 1 looks superb so far.

Really wish it had come with a slipcover tho.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would’ve bought even more garbage if I knew it was going to help preserve other, different garbage

I mean this genuinely.

ngl if my tax refund comes before my order ships I'm gonna add a couple more movies to it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean this genuinely.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean this genuinely.

That's always how I've looked at it whenever I get a VS title that I consider to be a dud.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK611womtOU

V-Day drop from VinSyn today

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Severin has gotten a lot better it seems. I ordered a "dented" copy of the Ray Dennis Steckler collection for half the current retail, and it was sealed and didn't look bad at all. It shipped the same day and arrived three days later.

I don't think I got a "bargain" (I think it was only like $120 or so for the preorder even though the site said $200 when I ordered it), but turnaround was really quick.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
we're getting suzuki in 4k!!!!

I really hope they release more, but day one buy

https://www.criterion.com/films/576-branded-to-kill

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 15, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also Thelma & Louise UHD, which inches us closer to having Ridley's entire filmography on the format.

Waiting with bated breath for that 1492: Conquest of Paradise UHD to be announced.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

Also Thelma & Louise UHD, which inches us closer to having Ridley's entire filmography on the format.

Waiting with bated breath for that 1492: Conquest of Paradise UHD to be announced.

That dude has such an extreme range of good to poo poo in his filmography. T&L is one of the better ones, but woof.

Fun story, I got to hear a talk by the DP who had just shot American Gangster. He told us when they went to location scout ridley never left the van. He'd just point to stuff from the passenger window and say "ok, next"

I'd rather have tony scotts filmography on uhd tbh.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

zer0spunk posted:

Crimson Tide and Enemy of the State 4k please and thank you. Crimson Tide's anniversary is in a couple years, probably my best hope at this point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Crimson Tide would definitely be good on UHD because it's all close-ups of extremely sweaty great actors.

But yea Tony Scott's style translates amazingly well to UHD, it's not like Days of Thunder is one of my favorite movies but I've rewatched it a few times since picking up the UHD because of how good it looks.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1625913624345575426?s=20

OOOOOOOOOOooooOOOooOooOoooOoooooOoOOoOOh yeah

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I really think pod people replaced ridley around 2006.

You have the guy who did the duelists, bladerunner, alien, black hawk down, and gladiator...then you have the guy who did exodus: gods and monsters, a slew of poo poo alien sequels, that getty biopic, etc etc,

Talk about falling off

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

zer0spunk posted:

That dude has such an extreme range of good to poo poo in his filmography. T&L is one of the better ones, but woof.

Fun story, I got to hear a talk by the DP who had just shot American Gangster. He told us when they went to location scout ridley never left the van. He'd just point to stuff from the passenger window and say "ok, next"

The first time I really understood why Director and Editor were different jobs was when I saw the Director's Cut of American Gangster after seeing the regular cut in theater. The regular cut ends with a shot of the main guy getting out of jail after like 20 years. He's wearing a suit that's out of date, there's hip hop playing on the street which didn't exist when he was free, without any dialogue it completely conveys the idea of this man who was in complete control of his own world is now facing a world he doesn't understand.

The director's cut has that shot, but just as the start of like a four minute long scenes where he's walking around with a friend who explains to him what a latte is, that sneakers are expensive now, etc. Literally explaining through dialogue what that one shot accomplished without it. It's so loving awful.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gripweed posted:

The first time I really understood why Director and Editor were different jobs was when I saw the Director's Cut of American Gangster after seeing the regular cut in theater. The regular cut ends with a shot of the main guy getting out of jail after like 20 years. He's wearing a suit that's out of date, there's hip hop playing on the street which didn't exist when he was free, without any dialogue it completely conveys the idea of this man who was in complete control of his own world is now facing a world he doesn't understand.

The director's cut has that shot, but just as the start of like a four minute long scenes where he's walking around with a friend who explains to him what a latte is, that sneakers are expensive now, etc. Literally explaining through dialogue what that one shot accomplished without it. It's so loving awful.

It's kind of impressive that you can gently caress up both a denzel washington movie, and a historically interesting bio pic about the rise of drugs.

That soundtrack is killer though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

You have the guy who did the duelists, bladerunner, alien, black hawk down, and gladiator...then you have the guy who did exodus: gods and monsters, a slew of poo poo alien sequels, that getty biopic, etc etc,

Talk about falling off

I would agree that it's been a mixed bag but Prometheus was great and so was The Last Duel. So that's 2 great films in ten years, you could do a lot worse.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

I would agree that it's been a mixed bag but Prometheus was great and so was The Last Duel. So that's 2 great films in ten years, you could do a lot worse.

He's gone the francais ford coppola route. Maybe it's the money, maybe it's complacency, maybe it's apathy. The name still gets projects greenlit but that's no longer any sort of guarantee of quality

Alien and Blade Runner are in my top 5 :negative:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ohhhh poo poo To Live and Die in L.A. UHD announced for May. That's a no-brainer for me, I have an old dollar store DVD that I never upgraded to blu because the movie didn't even have a blu release that was in print until fairly recently.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

a slew of poo poo alien sequels
Prometheus forgives a multitude of sins.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

hell yeah, one of my favorite Criterions (and favorite movies in general). Will definitely upgrade from the blu.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

gey muckle mowser posted:

hell yeah, one of my favorite Criterions (and favorite movies in general). Will definitely upgrade from the blu.

I really want tattooed life. The entire last sequence is incredible and It's a crime it's stuck on DVD

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Robin Hood was the Ridley movie that really threw me. It’s like he did a bad ripoff of his own historical epics. I saw it once in the theater. Afterwords I was taking a piss and some guy is in there talking to his elderly dad. “That was pretty good, huh dad?” “No it wasn’t”. Which will probably stick with me forever.

I bought a UHD of Exodus when it was in sale just because it’s so messy to the point of being fascinating. It has no clue what it wants to be. Still haven’t rewatched it yet.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Casimir Radon posted:

I bought a UHD of Exodus when it was in sale just because it’s so messy to the point of being fascinating. It has no clue what it wants to be. Still haven’t rewatched it yet.

Well, the good news is, that movie is so bad it didn't stay in print and the used prices are anywhere from 50-140. Sometimes life works out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought Exodus because I'm a sucker for seasonal movies so I watch it sometimes alongside The Ten Commandments when Passover comes around.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ridley is himself an atheist and the movie does seem to imply at times that Moses is hallucinating his conversations with “God”. So that seems like it would alienate the religious crowd.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Older directors can still do great work of course, but I’m not exactly shocked that Ridley ran out of steam in his 70s. I’m not interested in his new stuff but my attitude is that he gave us more than enough, and a hell of a lot more than most.

Do we think old Billy Friedkin has another film in him? It didn’t match his peaks but I liked Killer Joe

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The kind of stuff we admire about Ridley's greatest films, and great films in general, tend to be a young man's game. The sets, the lighting the production design, when he was a younger man he kept an iron grip on all that stuff and he was extremely meticulous about making sure it was all done the way he wanted it. Or Herzog going out into the jungle to make Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo, you just don't do that sort of thing when you're 70 years old. It probably has something to do with why Tarantino says he wants to retire soon, he knows that he needs to make films a certain way, and that he probably won't have the oomph to continue doing that forever.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

He’s an octogenarian that’s still putting out multiple major studio films every year. I’d be happy to be able to wipe my own rear end at his age. I was still with him up until the CG Aliens in Covenant too, but those were unforgivable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zer0spunk posted:

Talk about falling off

The alien sequels are better than gladiator and blade runner

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
House of Gucci runs out of steam but it’s a mostly fun throwback and the incredibly unhinged Leto performance is legitimately great

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Martian and Last Duel are both solid. I kind of remember body of lies being interesting but don’t remember too much about it. I saw the Getty one in theaters and it was fine but it very memorable.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The only movie from that year that hosed harder than The Last Duel was Red Rocket.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Last Duel is a legitimately great movie that stands up to rewatches too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn’t see the Gucci one. But I’m happy Leto’s performance made the family angry. I’d be happy to never see him act again, but making some lovely rich people upset is pretty funny. He should have burst out with “It’sa me! Hepatitis!”

Edit: I liked The Last Duel a lot. Should have been advertised better though. It was on my radar for a couple years before it came out but I’m not the average moviegoer. I hate that superhero movies have squeezed out mid-budget historical movies.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn’t see the Gucci one. But I’m happy Leto’s performance made the family angry. I’d be happy to never see him act again, but making some lovely rich people upset is pretty funny. He should have burst out with “It’sa me! Hepatitis!”

It’s really not far off, he’s channeling this energy the whole movie

https://youtu.be/cAvXnBgJMdM