Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RatHat posted:

So the elves were completely justified in being so hard on dungeons?
yes but they're jerks so gently caress'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno, Laios seemed to figure out a decent enough direct way to solve the dungeon problem that i'm assuming is going to end with everyone mostly ok. And he's an idiot!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think they were even wrong in treating everyone like idiot children. obviously, people keep going into dungeons and asking demons for wishes. no amount of warnings or education could ever change this.

that they were correct and justified has nothing to do with how big of jerks they are in general, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think they were even wrong in treating everyone like idiot children. obviously, people keep going into dungeons and asking demons for wishes. no amount of warnings or education could ever change this.

that they were correct and justified has nothing to do with how big of jerks they are in general, though.

"You're not wrong Walter. You're just an rear end in a top hat."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway, I guess this set of chapters probably isn't fully over yet but I think it really peaked with the Marcille stuff. I like Laios the monster cooking freak discovering a creative solution to dealing with a demon's desire due to having a unique perspective on apetite (even if its kinda cheap) but this exploration of the winged lion and Laios' darker side hasn't hit half as hard as the gang "confronting" Marcille the Dungeon Lord.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really like how even after all the demon did Laios still was trying to help him while also saving the world.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 16, 2023

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

That was a legit unnerving and disturbing fight goddamn. Not something to read just before bed.

Loving the Renaissance-style two-pager though :discourse:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
dang that 2 spreader of Laios devouring the lion had extremely sexual undertones. Very disturbing

so good

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

yum posted:

dang that 2 spreader of Laios devouring the lion had extremely sexual undertones. Very disturbing

so good

A friend of mine brought this up as well and we finally ended up at "Saturn 69ing his son" by Goya

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really it's more that "My Awesome Monster (by Laios, age 5 26)" is the last place you expect to get rules lawyered out of your own divine motivations. But he went for it!

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Jesus this chapter needs warnings for eye trauma :stare:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

wow that spread was something else - dungeon meshi easily one of the most impressive mangas ive ever read Kui's ability to delight and surprise is tops of artists working today

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

great chapter… and yet, I want more!!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'll tell ya one desire that hasn't been eaten,,, my desire for more dungeon meshi!!!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Well, I'd like to see ol Laios vore his way out of THIS jam!
*Laios vores his way out of the jam easily*
Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well then, that certainly went places. :suspense:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

SexyBlindfold posted:

Well, I'd like to see ol Laios vore his way out of THIS jam!
*Laios vores his way out of the jam easily*
Ah! Well. Nevertheless,
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShammyTV/status/1623975568474529792

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Amazing chapter, incredible spread, but now I'm left with two questions :

Will Laios keep his cool human chimera form, and what is the curse

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh no, don't cure marcille's wife :'(

chapters like these really makes me want to see what ryoko kui would do with a series that goes full on horror (while keeping her trademark comedy)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Calling it now, the solution to the curse will be "right now my deepest desire is to rescue Farlin, so what I need to do is to get REALLY into my monster freak poo poo until it surpasses my save-my-sister needs, THEN we can save Farlin"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh no, don't cure marcille's wife :'(

chapters like these really makes me want to see what ryoko kui would do with a series that goes full on horror (while keeping her trademark comedy)

I'm so torn, on one hand it looks like DM is gonna wrap up soonish - but I'm so greedy I just want more from this world, I want more dungeons more meshi more of all the characters and races. This is why IPs become huge, because if it ends and thats all I get of this crew I would lose my mind!! Even knowing that having Kui do something else would probably be really awesome too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is anyone else having issues getting the new chapter to load? I went and checked old ones and they work fine, but this new one just gives me a "click to retry" button. I've tried on two different devices.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

Really it's more that "My Awesome Monster (by Laios, age 5 26)" is the last place you expect to get rules lawyered out of your own divine motivations. But he went for it!

Just goes to show that everyone needs to read the fine print

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Countblanc posted:

Is anyone else having issues getting the new chapter to load? I went and checked old ones and they work fine, but this new one just gives me a "click to retry" button. I've tried on two different devices.

Not for this chapter but another manga won’t load for me

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Countblanc posted:

managdex has some issues due to the release of new JoJo

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
"My greatest desire will never come true!?!? But my sister!"

"Oh, we saved her. But being turned into a monster and back wrecked both your gut bacteria. You're lactose intolerant now."

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Laios' sister is gonna be fine

He certainly wants to save her, but if that was anywhere near being his deepest or greatest desire, then the demon wouldn't have been able to turn him into a monster so easily

The guy's issues run deep, and part of that is a hefty dose of denial about what he really wants deep down

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Vizuyos posted:

Laios' sister is gonna be fine

He certainly wants to save her, but if that was anywhere near being his deepest or greatest desire, then the demon wouldn't have been able to turn him into a monster so easily

I agree, saving Farlin might be the thing he thinks of first, but he definitely has deeper desires than that that he's not consciously aware of, like eating/co-existing with monsters, or actually being understood by the people around him.

Aniway, I think he's the one in for a bittersweet ending now.

Jerkface posted:

I'm so torn, on one hand it looks like DM is gonna wrap up soonish - but I'm so greedy I just want more from this world, I want more dungeons more meshi more of all the characters and races. This is why IPs become huge, because if it ends and thats all I get of this crew I would lose my mind!! Even knowing that having Kui do something else would probably be really awesome too.

She deserves a rest definitely, but I would also love to see her revisit this world through the eyes of other characters (mostly Farlin, who we didn't get to spend a lot of time with). An anthology could be nice too, which that adventuring guide basically already was.

My secret hope would be a Namari focused, blacksmithing/metal-working/getting money(in the form of gold) manga, called Dungeon Metal.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So like, the demon’s not hungry anymore but he did eat a whole bunch of people. Is that going to be dealt with?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

Calling it now, the solution to the curse will be "right now my deepest desire is to rescue Farlin, so what I need to do is to get REALLY into my monster freak poo poo until it surpasses my save-my-sister needs, THEN we can save Farlin"

I don't think she's getting saved.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

So like, the demon’s not hungry anymore but he did eat a whole bunch of people. Is that going to be dealt with?

No the world has been destroyed

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think Farlin will be "saved" but there will be a bit of a bittersweet twist to it. Going straight for "she's dead" seems like a weird development. Maybe she gets rooted to the dungeon or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The whole thing about how Falin can be resurrected by making everyone in the story eat a big ol serving of Chimera stew is just so perfect an outcome that I can't imagine it not happening. Wonder if the curse will be more about Laios being unable to stay with his sis or something instead of her not being saved.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No the world has been destroyed

Ah dang

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
both laios and fairlyn remain as chimeras, laios is "cursed" to be forever stuck as lord of the dungeon

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Laios is going to lose his sense of taste. He still gets to feast, he still gets Farlyn returning, but he cant enjoy any new flavors.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think it'll be something he will regret but can live with like yeah losing his taste but appreciating the journey and things he ate with the other adventurers and having those good memories.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

C'mon, clearly Laios' greatest desire was to remain a monster and show off his super-rad form to Falin. He'll pop right back up as a human next chapter, I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

amigolupus posted:

C'mon, clearly Laios' greatest desire was to remain a monster and show off his super-rad form to Falin. He'll pop right back up as a human next chapter, I bet.

This was my theory too, especially with the Demon's ability to sense desire and his personality fading, even if it's not Laios' biggest desire--it's the last thing the Demon remembers as being his desire.