Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still mad Mark Dacascos died. Should have been badly wounded but left alive like Common
Kung Lao was seriously wounded! But the soul still burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I saw some very nice nods to John Woo there, which I appreciate.

More things need to steal the Warriors radio DJ and I'm glad to see it here

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I kept thinking the goon next to Skarsgard looked familiar and he kept showing up . Either I'd completely forgotten or just now found out but that's Marko Zaror! Holy moly

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still mad Mark Dacascos died.

Could you maybe word this differently?! Jesus

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still mad Mark Dacascos died. Should have been badly wounded but left alive like Common

I absolutely love the live action crying freeman.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

*Mark shows up with a samurai sword still in his guts*

"only a flesh wound"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shageletic posted:

*Mark shows up with a samurai sword still in his guts*

"only a flesh wound"

Keanu: "Ugh"

*Mark gives two thumbs up*

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Grendels Dad posted:

Keanu: "Ugh"

*Mark gives two thumbs up*

The Art of Action episode with him was fantastic because a good portion of the interview is Mark telling Scott Adkins how much he likes him and Scott trying to keep him on topic

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Dacascos genuinely seems like an absolutely lovely bloke. I always thought it was a real shame that he came along right as the martial arts movie bubble was bursting (poor guy was in kickboxer 5. Did you even know that there was a kickboxer 5?) but it's been great to see him have a late career renaissance.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've somehow never seen top gun before and i started watching top gun: maverick today but i paused it because they keep referencing stuff that happened in the first movie i think. What exactly is tom cruise's deal/beef with the rooster guy? I feel like I'm missing something.

Also why can't they just call up the CIA to send in some drones to strike at the uranium facility instead of sending in pilots? I stopped the movie at around 30mins in, shortly after they introduced the mission and the 12 rookie pilots.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've somehow never seen top gun before and i started watching top gun: maverick today but i paused it because they keep referencing stuff that happened in the first movie i think. What exactly is tom cruise's deal/beef with the rooster guy? I feel like I'm missing something.

Also why can't they just call up the CIA to send in some drones to strike at the uranium facility instead of sending in pilots? I stopped the movie at around 30mins in, shortly after they introduced the mission and the 12 rookie pilots.

Top Gun (1986) spoilers:
Goose is Maverick’s wingman. Maverick makes a dangerous maneuver which leads to Goose’s accidental death. In the sequel, Rooster is Goose’s son.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

IIRC the movie literally does a montage recap of the first one pretty soon after you stopped. Maverick was a blast but definitely not a movie you want to think too hard about. I wish they’d just remade Macross Plus, though.

Edit: I guess that’s what Stealth tried to do, huh?

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 17, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Top Gun (1986) spoilers:
Goose is Maverick’s wingman. Maverick makes a dangerous maneuver which leads to Goose’s accidental death. In the sequel, Rooster is Goose’s son.

I understood that rooster was goose’s sun but why is there beef between them? Idk Tom cruise started acting all weird when he saw rooster’s picture as one of the candidates and then they’ve been acting weird around each other in the following scenes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

IIRC the movie literally does a montage recap of the first one pretty soon after you stopped. Maverick was a blast but definitely not a movie you want to think too hard about. I wish they’d just remade Macross Plus, though.

Edit: I guess that’s what Stealth tried to do, huh?

Yeah definitely not trying to overthink it, it was just something I put on while I was eating. But I just felt like I was missing something with how weird Tom cruise and the rooster guy were treating each other and I don’t feel like watching a 20 minute “things you should know before watching top gun maverick” YouTube video so I figure I’d just ask.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boris Galerkin posted:

I understood that rooster was goose’s sun but why is there beef between them? Idk Tom cruise started acting all weird when he saw rooster’s picture as one of the candidates and then they’ve been acting weird around each other in the following scenes.

It’s stated in the film

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dinosaurs! posted:

IIRC the movie literally does a montage recap of the first one pretty soon after you stopped. Maverick was a blast but definitely not a movie you want to think too hard about.
There's a YouTube video where two actual fighter pilots give commentary on the dogfights, and at one point in the F-14 sequence one of them pauses the film to say "Everything we're seeing here is dumb." :ughh:

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
You could say that at any point during the movie though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As a professional caliber drinker, let me list off the issues I have with the bar scenes in Top Gun: Maverick. Firstly,

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VROOM VROOM posted:

I'm not totally against the Wick sequels getting increasingly up their own rear end with worldbuilding bullshit and meaningless fight scenes, and having the first one be its own separate nice thing

but the only way to justify a 3-hour John Wick movie is if he loving dies at the end

I need one that shows the impossible task he did that got him out of having to answer to the high table

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm disappointed that we seem to be getting another Wick Against Waves of Killers movie instead of the Wick leads a rebellion of the Assassin Society Underclass that the end of the last one seemed to be pointing towards.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

dokmo posted:

Funny thing about that Sniper series is that none of those movies are particularly good, but almost all of them are pretty watchable. I don't think I've been disappointed by any of them

I marathoned them all (and recently watched the 9th that came out recently - easily the worst of the 9). But yea, they're all definitely watchable, they all blend together, but one of the early ones where he has like sniper battles with a sniper in eastern Euro is incredible stuff.

Also the Shooter TV show is really really good if you like sniper type junk like this, the first season is kinda like the Wahlbergers movie (or maybe the first few episodes), but then it goes like 5 seasons. Super loving Satisfying ending though. Loved it.

and since John Cena was being talked about earlier, he's in a really low-key good Iraqi sniper movie called The Wall. I need to re-watch it, haven't seen it for years, but I remembering having to talk about it to all my friends for days.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm disappointed that we seem to be getting another Wick Against Waves of Killers movie instead of the Wick leads a rebellion of the Assassin Society Underclass that the end of the last one seemed to be pointing towards.

They talked about John Wick 3 a bit as if the class difference thing was going to really come to a head in it but instead it only really matters towards the end and then doesn't actually happen til the very end. Are they seriously pushing this off again lol

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

High Warlord Zog posted:

From the look of the trailer, he goes up against the table in the first half (i assume that's who he's chasing in the desert) and then the rest of the movie is dealing with the fallout of that.

I was already sold but that trailer looks like my exact kind of bullshit. Fighting in traffic, a shotgun that fires explosions, samurai SWAT teams, axe fights, Scott Adkins in a fat suit...It's stupid in the exact way I want it to be stupid.

Slightly interesting is that there's no hint at all of the final single combat with Bill Skarsgard. Wonder why. I'll make a prediction, that it will be a beautifully shot quick draw contest between them, in an homage to the Good, the Bad and The Ugly. Westerns are one of the series many influences and it makes sense to do something completely different.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
https://twitter.com/kickassvargas/status/1626759767434870784?s=20

I am so excited for this movie. I totally get the John Wick fatigue, but I love them all, with 3 being my favorite. I just love all the dumb lore and how good the movies look in general, action and overall cinematography.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The lore makes me laugh at how complicated it is. I really love it.

I just hope they don’t repeat the same finale like they did with 3. They ddi the mirror room glass thing and doing it again bugged me, and then having two major fights in one room also bugged me too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

The lore makes me laugh at how complicated it is. I really love it.

I just hope they don’t repeat the same finale like they did with 3. They ddi the mirror room glass thing and doing it again bugged me, and then having two major fights in one room also bugged me too.

Also 3 had John go really really really far out of his way to end up in basically the exact same position he was at at the end of 2 lol

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

What makes a good sniper movie? Is it the sniper doing something sicknasty and rube-goldbergian? The only sequence I remember from any of them and it's Sniper looking through the scope at a hostage situation, with a mook holding a gun to the hostage's head. It's a human shield situation so the heads are parallel. Sniper shoots the mook's wrist, which pushes his gun hand back so now he's pointing the gun at his own mook head, with the Sniper bullet having pulled on his tendons makes his hand claw up and pull the trigger, shooting himself in the head

If they're all filled with stuff like that then maybe I should watch a sniper movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

god seagal rules

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

forest spirit posted:

What makes a good sniper movie? Is it the sniper doing something sicknasty and rube-goldbergian? The only sequence I remember from any of them and it's Sniper looking through the scope at a hostage situation, with a mook holding a gun to the hostage's head. It's a human shield situation so the heads are parallel. Sniper shoots the mook's wrist, which pushes his gun hand back so now he's pointing the gun at his own mook head, with the Sniper bullet having pulled on his tendons makes his hand claw up and pull the trigger, shooting himself in the head

If they're all filled with stuff like that then maybe I should watch a sniper movie

For me, I find a (good! well done!) sniper flick to be highly cinematic. Long-zoomed slow scans of the target, lots of visual story-telling to determine the setup and complicating factors. Tension builds. Close-ups on a tense sweaty face, finger slowly curling on the trigger. The soundscape focuses in... beat... beat... beat...

Bang! Big release as things go bug-gently caress!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The 10-minute sniper sequence that starts Jack Reacher is one of my favorites just for that reason, the buildup and tension

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Hirez posted:

Also the Shooter TV show is really really good if you like sniper type junk like this, the first season is kinda like the Wahlbergers movie (or maybe the first few episodes), but then it goes like 5 seasons. Super loving Satisfying ending though. Loved it.

The main thing I remember from watching Shooter was that the swearing was censored for some reason, but all the millions of head shots weren't.
Also whenever characters said his name it sounded like they were calling him Bubbly because everyone had use his full name.

I should probably rewatch it since I like me some cool shooting.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Has anyone seen Zhang Yimou's Sniper? That seemed to come and go without any fanfare in the West. Is it good? All the clips I've seen from it seem very phoned in from him.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 18, 2023

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
There was an episode of Banshee (season 3 I think) that had a good sniper scene in a cornfield

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

I watched The Wall again, after reading that sniper talk about what makes a good sniper movie, and I dunno I think this one hits it home. Both guys seem completely hosed, what a situation to be in.

I liked it better the second time even knowing certain things... man what a tense 70min movie. It's also directed by Doug Liman who gets too much poo poo for doing shaky cam, in his movies, but some of them deserves it :911: he rules)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hirez posted:

I watched The Wall again, after reading that sniper talk about what makes a good sniper movie, and I dunno I think this one hits it home. Both guys seem completely hosed, what a situation to be in.

I liked it better the second time even knowing certain things... man what a tense 70min movie. It's also directed by Doug Liman who gets too much poo poo for doing shaky cam, in his movies, but some of them deserves it :911: he rules)

I know some of the people in The Wall shoot bows at the monsters, but calling it a sniper movie seems a bit much.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lamont posted:

There was an episode of Banshee (season 3 I think) that had a good sniper scene in a cornfield

Here's my annual reminder to everyone in this thread to watch Banshee. Four seasons, currently streaming on HBO Max (at least for now). Anyone who loves action movies will fall in love with this show. Banshee is pure id, pulpy and violent and full of nudity and sex and incredible fight choreography, especially by TV standards. And it runs through plot twists and villains in single episodes that would be season-long arcs on any number of other shows.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Wu Assassins was good too, but I'm an Iko fanboy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

forest spirit posted:

Enemy at the Gates. It'll answer all your questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I've seen that more than a few times, I owned the DVD at one point. What sticks out were the accents, that weird sex scene and a pretty good shithead-rear end in a top hat villain