Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Koramei posted:

At this point sure, but even like 5-10 years ago there was definitely a stigma around adults building Lego sets. That going away probably has a bunch to do with the general cultural milieu as of late (and Lego sets tbh looking much nicer than a decade or two back), but I bet pop culture IPs in Ideas have played a role.

My wife's family are the sterotypical Macho Italian Type that don't talk about no feelings if it ain't FUNNY or PUNCHING IT. A while back I was with a bunch of them for an event and one of the cousins made a snide comment about how he heard I play with toys now. Granted, it is a little weird for an old man like me to do that in some people's eyes. I told them "yeah, it keeps my PTSD in check so I don't kill anyone. Else." Now they think I'm childish and crazy, which is completely accurate and I'm glad they put it all together.

So yeah, there is still a stigma, but those people can ligma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think buying a big lego model for someone you aren't sure likes lego is still a bit of a toss up, they take up a lot of space in a home and are a bit of a time investment to build. If I wasn't into Lego and someone bought me a massive Lego set, I'd feel obligated to build it or guilty for not building it probably. Luckily nobody will buy me a Lego set though so don't have to worry about it, instead I just buy them for myself very occasionally.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The flowers sets is what every adult Lego can I know got into, because it was such a shock to see all the new colors/pieces Lego has made over the decades turn into that instead of a grey star wars spaceship. I really hope they keep doing things like that at more affordable price ranges instead of $60

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Koramei posted:

At this point sure, but even like 5-10 years ago there was definitely a stigma around adults building Lego sets. That going away probably has a bunch to do with the general cultural milieu as of late (and Lego sets tbh looking much nicer than a decade or two back), but I bet pop culture IPs in Ideas have played a role.

So many people on the internet making fun of that dude holding the Star Destroyer didn't help much.

People I know are generally pretty impressed with a nice set or collection, even if they're not interested in having their own.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mastershakeman posted:

The flowers sets is what every adult Lego can I know got into, because it was such a shock to see all the new colors/pieces Lego has made over the decades turn into that instead of a grey star wars spaceship. I really hope they keep doing things like that at more affordable price ranges instead of $60

Amusingly, a Lego botanical collection set as a valentine’s gift, and how it was perceived, was a plot point in Abbott Elementary last week.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

Can confirm, the succulents set and the dried flowers set were the first two my wife bought.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Two Disney sets announced.
https://brickset.com/article/91010/two-new-disney-sets-revealed
Guardians of the Galaxy sets revealed.
https://brickset.com/article/90997/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-range-officially-announced!

Nothing there that grabs me. Which is fine, just means I can save my dough for Rivendell.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You must have missed baby rocket raccoon

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deoju posted:

Nothing there that grabs me. Which is fine, just means I can save my dough for Ninjago City 4.

I can see some Ideas submissions folks being upset that LEGO finally built the Up house and arguing it was their idea. LOL.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

deoju posted:

i like the up house and will surely buy it. it's not the biggest/fanciest version of what it could be, but that means it will take up less of the dwindling space in my house

I've been burning money getting tons of licensed 4+ sets for my younger child so I'll probably end up with this dang train too. though that's a bizarre set of folks on it

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Count Thrashula posted:

I took my first stab at designing a MOC, the faun from Pan's Labyrinth. And I realized........... I'm not very good at designing MOCs.

Also apparently I used a bunch of bricks that don't exist :negative:
Yeah! This is super cool! Now do the one with the eyes...

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Koramei posted:

i thing a really really huge part of it is just how the building techniques have changed. everything is much more professional and smoother and more 'model-esquel'. they really only leaned into studs not on top in, what, in the last decade or so? beyond the ideals pop culture stuff, i'd rather lean into a lot of architecture sets and other ideas stuff (saturn v) as bigger causes for the change in stigma. even if the architecture/creator expert sets weren't truly driving sales, they were definitely changing a lot of the standardized building techniques that the lego company was using. and im sure some historian can probably go back further to other fan MOCs and other ideas sets that were pushing this

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

thebardyspoon posted:

I think buying a big lego model for someone you aren't sure likes lego is still a bit of a toss up, they take up a lot of space in a home and are a bit of a time investment to build. If I wasn't into Lego and someone bought me a massive Lego set, I'd feel obligated to build it or guilty for not building it probably. Luckily nobody will buy me a Lego set though so don't have to worry about it, instead I just buy them for myself very occasionally.

my sister's birthday is today and i ended up being a complete psycho and got her the A-Frame Cabin, with the idea that she's about 8 months pregnant (well, less. i asked her if she had a month left and she said 'no, less than that' and then i asked her who's counting and she told me to gently caress off) and there's not a wide range of poo poo for her to really do. and this is all couched in that i'll treat her to dinner also, and i told her that if she just keeps the kit in the box, she can sell it in like 16 years to pay for her kid's college (assuming poo poo exists then).

i expect the set to be finished by the time i leave.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjIIVHEqm1A

The stage makes it a bit more interesting than the original submission

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

deoju posted:

https://brickset.com/article/91010/two-new-disney-sets-revealed
Guardians of the Galaxy sets revealed.
https://brickset.com/article/90997/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-range-officially-announced!

Nothing there that grabs me. Which is fine, just means I can save my dough for Rivendell.

Disgustingly small amount of balloons on that house... First alt build better be 3x the set only to build the balloons as God intended.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This looks like a... mixed Friends/Belleville set with regular minifigs?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

refleks posted:

This looks like a... mixed Friends/Belleville set with regular minifigs?

Vidiyo with worse minifigs.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

When are we getting a New Kids On The Block set?

The instructions will be step by step

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That's a pretty lame set. Guessing the poo poo-tier submission instantly hitting the requisite votes sold them on how little effort was actually required.

You really missed the boat there Carbs, your work in progress i saw was cool, this is not.

I don't know squat about BTS but would have definitely bought a cool retro donut store and record shop build.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So the kpop army pushed it? Well if the kpop army also buys it, lego will make a killing. And will make regular kpop sets for years to come, just like those sitcom sets.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hard to have a problem with that part, it's just a pretty bare bones minifig delivery set that's disappointing. If it were the level of detail as something like the Seinfeld or Friends sets then it would justify it being LEGO Ideas.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 16, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Infinitum posted:

When are we getting a New Kids On The Block set?

The instructions will be step by step

Who’s buying the N’Sync set?

It’s gonna be me.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

That's a pretty lame set. Guessing the poo poo-tier submission instantly hitting the requisite votes sold them on how little effort was actually required.

You really missed the boat there Carbs, your work in progress i saw was cool, this is not.

I don't know squat about BTS but would have definitely bought a cool retro donut store and record shop build.
From the presser: "The BTS fans have already got behind the design and so it was important that we were as faithful to the original creation as possible."

lmao they got behind it because it's BTS, not because they liked the specific submitted design. I think I'll maybe try to score the minifigs and sticker sheet and build something closer to my original design for this.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Is that scene like a known thing from BTS? Like Eddie in Iron Maiden?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

refleks posted:

Is that scene like a known thing from BTS? Like Eddie in Iron Maiden?
It's various scenes and setpieces from their most popular music video, one which hit over 100m views on the first day it was out. My idea was to build essentially the exact same thing, so I'd imagine yes: if someone wanted to build something BTS-related, this would be a strong candidate for many fans.

Still parsing my thoughts on the set. As a LEGO fan, I kind of hate how simple and stripped down it is. As a BTS fan, it's probably fine. I don't know.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 16, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Who’s buying the N’Sync set?

It’s gonna be me.

If they do a Boyz II Men set I think it'll be the end of the road for future boy band sets

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

My fiancée loves BTS and Lego and fully represents the audience for that set so I’ve been keeping my eyes out to get it when it releases no matter how much it might suck. They’ve at least got one purchase from me, though I am a bit underwhelmed by the set in general.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
This is maybe dumb, but of all the small details they got wrong (and there are a LOT of small details they got wrong), the one annoying me the most is the fonts of the text on various signage. I spent a LOT of time on the graphics for mine, and some of these font choices on the official sticker sheet seem terrible. The "Sweet Music" sign is really bad. LEGO's left, mine right. Can't find the reference image I used at the moment, sorry.

I totally get LEGO isn't gonna brick build an 80-piece sign when they can use 3 pieces and a sticker, by the way. More of a commentary on the graphic design, not the physical build.

I just realized the black horizontal line on the official graphic represents where the top of the physical sign should end. Why the hell did they do it that way lmao

I didn't expect anything as dense as the design I came up with, because it would be like 3x the cost and is frankly an unnecessary level of detail for an official set, but something in between would have been nice. The official one appears to be about a 8+ set in complexity and technique (would have called it a 7+ if not for the Technic stage deal).

edit: I know I'm just mega salty. Sorry. I really hoped this would be a nicer set as a LEGO build, not just as a BTS love letter, which I'm positive non-hardcore LEGO people will love it for.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 16, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Carbs it looks like you have to rededicate your life to doing ideas submissions and then having goons boost them

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Goon BTS army.
Bots, Trolls, and Sockpuppets.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wow, they really did disappointingly phone that in. It being a simple build makes sense; I bet they're trying to bring in a bunch of people new to Lego. But especially seeing it next to Carbs' makes it pretty disappointing.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oof. It'd probably be more passable if I hadn't seen Carbs' design, but they're not even in the same ballpark. Especially the record store. ESPECIALLY the record store.

I need to reverse engineer that into the ground floor of a modular building or something, it's too good to not be visible somewhere.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
A hundred dollars for that set is almost criminal, IMO. I’m not sure who they’re targeting - it seems way too simple to be really intended for the 18+ range, but is too expensive for anyone else.

Worse yet, it doesn’t seem like it’s even much of a celebration of its fandom. As divisive as sitcom soundstage sets have been, they at least usually have some in-jokes and the like for fans to really latch onto. The only bit of that I can see in this set is some BTS album art in the music store?

Even the web site seems to have mistakenly-uploaded legal boilerplate (that doesn’t seem to be on other 1 March sets):

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i don't know if k-pop people are the same, i am only assuming they are, but theres a lot of trashy anime merch out there that gets bought up by whales (who'll often buy like 3-10 copies of something, just for the collection). so, its probably not a big celebration of the fandom or group or whatever because it doesn't have to be. if you're a 'k-pop stan' or whatever, you'll buy anything

at least that's my assumption, i try not to think about this or anything at all

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No. A good deal of the BTS fans are your typical girls/young women who liked the usual boy bands back in the day.

What I want to know is why BTS members dress like wealthy old asian women.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The target demo for this set should have been like 12+, and that's why it should have been simpler instead they put forward an :effort: ideas version and marked it 18+ with 18+ pricing.

It don't think it will sell well, and with luck it will be the end of these nostalgia bait pop culture sets.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I agree. The figs just look like minifigs. That's gonna be a problem for a lot of people.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I was interested if only to get some new minifig faces that each look different. About four of the seven look absolutely interchangeable.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I was interested if only to get some new minifig faces that each look different. About four of the seven look absolutely interchangeable.

Well..have you seen BTS?

E: just realized this could be taken as racist. Didn't mean that so much as there are so many guys in the group they become functionally redundant.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 16, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Well..have you seen BTS?

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Hey look, it's another Ideas slot wasted due to dumpster-tier value. I'm getting Table Football vibes from this one. Even at 40% off, like the Queer Eye Set was available direct from Lego, I'd hesitate to pick up the BTS set because the pieces look pretty bland and it looks like nearly every detail is a loving sticker.