Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Araki has been saying ACAB since part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyca
Mar 24, 2021

Dragonwagon posted:

You can tell Jodio is inverse Giorno because instead of drinking piss his power is pissing on people really hard.

I hope Jodio's stand can shoot a "SUPER PISS LASER" out of the dangly bit on it's underside.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jojo who is infatuated with money and power has a stand ability that makes it rain

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

That account goes on to make a good point about parallels to Ermes, which I noticed from when she was scratching things off and they looked like stickers

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I know everyone says Araki hates dogs but he eased up on that. On the other hand, he has made a point to maim a cop at least once in every Jojo part.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Could have picked a better part than the one where the main guys friends with nazis and italian fascists :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Extremely good first chapter, drat. Was not feeling like 60% of Jojolion but really hyped now.

Crew seems very cool already.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vise the Stompy posted:

I know everyone says Araki hates dogs but he eased up on that. On the other hand, he has made a point to maim a cop at least once in every Jojo part.

Araki loves dogs, which is why he thinks the easiest way to show how evil someone is is to have them brutally murder one.

And by contrast, we can assume that he shows someone as heroic by having them brutally own a cop.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I admit I was kinda surprised and a little impressed that in 1987 Araki was having the NY cop going "come on, we're both white" to Joseph. I guess that particular dynamic is easier to see and write about as a non-white non-American

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/saikonihai/status/1626261981526122497

:sickos:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
managed to predict 'heist story' just from the brief synopsis last month, looking forward to araki's take on that. is hawaii really 'subtropical' though lol? i was trying to figure out what counted as 'subtropical islands' for the setting but hawaii is just tropical

it's cool to have a protag who's trans, less cool that that's revealed by having them be molested. come on araki............

pretty unsurprised that using he/him for dragona is just an poor/awkward fan translation decision based on jojodia calling them 'brother'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be honest, dragona getting molested by a cop is like insanely true to life given how often cops will just inherently treat trans women like sex workers and frequently are known to do gross poo poo in traffic stops or when randomly stopping a trans woman walking down the road so the fact that araki put it in the manga was kind of a direct power move as far as i'm concerned

dude does not like cops and i absolutely am here for that. i hope the community can soon enough get their poo poo together and not be loving weird about this character in the part, but, hey, having such a cool thing get balanced by people inherently being gross is not really surprising.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I love Jodio and Dragona

I hope Hi Wa ma whatever aren't weirdos this time around

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Dragona is legitimately the closest representation in fiction i’ve ever had because usually everyone’s too hung up on proper rep to consider real rep

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I love Jodio and Dragona

I do not have high hopes for the guy dressed as Tingle to not be a weirdo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I love Jodio and Dragona

Joudiou and Dragouna

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Joudiou and Dragouna

the vowels started getting stretched at the end with the principal and I was like "noooo"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So you think Paco has to call it "The Hustle" or can he get away with just "Hustle"?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

the vowels started getting stretched at the end with the principal and I was like "noooo"

Isn’t that just how Araki writes now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At least nobody has spoken any pictures 🖼️ in their dialogue yet.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m so happy to be back in JOJOLand.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

goblin week posted:

Dragona is legitimately the closest representation in fiction i’ve ever had because usually everyone’s too hung up on proper rep to consider real rep

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
People really surprised that cops use pat-downs as an excuse to grope somebody huh

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

you know there's no escaping that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.tumblr.com/ilovejosukehigashikata/709433944730370048/hmmm-i-dont-think-i-can-make-that-call-right

this is a tumblr reblog chain from one of the two translators who put out this initial chapter, and they go into reasonings as to why they, for now, did what they did re: dragona's presence as depicted so far. adds some context.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Not in dialog, but the final page had icons along the Stand names.

Waffleman_ posted:

Kono Jodio Joestar ga

:sickos:

Pretty easy to guess from the name Jodio, but I *thought* something was up when Dragona's Joestar birthmark was so conspicuously displayed while we got nothing for Jodio. Is he gonna be an adoptee too like Dio? Presumably not fratricidal this time around.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I believe he IS intended to be the SBRverse mirror of Giorno

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I believe he IS intended to be the SBRverse mirror of Giorno

The question here is... who stole Johnny Joestar's balls this time? :thunk:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It is really too perfect that when we finally get a Jojo x Dio fusion his name translates to "Fucker". :discourse:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Pretty easy to guess from the name Jodio, but I *thought* something was up when Dragona's Joestar birthmark was so conspicuously displayed while we got nothing for Jodio. Is he gonna be an adoptee too like Dio? Presumably not fratricidal this time around.

We never got one for part four josuke in the manga or johnny, so it might end up being something we never see

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 16, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Johnny Joestar posted:

to be honest, dragona getting molested by a cop is like insanely true to life given how often cops will just inherently treat trans women like sex workers and frequently are known to do gross poo poo in traffic stops or when randomly stopping a trans woman walking down the road so the fact that araki put it in the manga was kind of a direct power move as far as i'm concerned

dude does not like cops and i absolutely am here for that. i hope the community can soon enough get their poo poo together and not be loving weird about this character in the part, but, hey, having such a cool thing get balanced by people inherently being gross is not really surprising.

it's very tasteless for that to be how it's revealed to the audience that dragona is trans! not really unexpected for araki though unfortunately, it's pretty in line with his previous issues with sexual violence

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Yinlock posted:

Araki loves dogs, which is why he thinks the easiest way to show how evil someone is is to have them brutally murder one.

And by contrast, we can assume that he shows someone as heroic by having them brutally own a cop.

Didn't Angelo do both of these? Does that make him an anti-hero?

Asterite34 posted:

The question here is... who stole Johnny Joestar's balls this time? :thunk:

I mean the crew is heading out to steal someones family jewels...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

managed to grab a physical ultra jump copy but does anyone know how to get the t shirt? is it mail order?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
https://twitter.com/LachesisPsysucc/status/1626306349612113920

The assault stuff definitely wasn't great, even if it has more than just cheap shock value. There's a clear purpose in depicting the police like that in a story about people who do illegal stuff so that they can have a decent life, but as a first impression it still feels a bit crass to me.

No complaints about Dragona, though; instant potential for favourite JoJo protagonist, this might be amazing (or horrible, but I'm holding out hope for the former). Araki's constant experimentation with his characters' gender expression is finally becoming explicit. Definitely looking forward to Be Gay Do Crimes combined with Fucker Joestar's Bizarre Adventure.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
There's either going to a Higashikata or Rock Human in that house. Maybe even both!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Rock Humans are cool and while I'm sure Araki could do some more crazy poo poo with them, tbh I'm kinda ready to move on from em.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
What about... Mineral Humans??

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm not even that into jojo and seeing a new stand still gives me a "kid coming downstairs on christmas morning" feeling

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lamebot posted:

What about... Mineral Humans??

It's part 3 so they have to kick Dio's rear end for real this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But Jojo, you are the Dios