Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I live in Hawaii so it's neat to see a series I like, take place in the state I live. Also nthing that the opening was tasteless, but also it's fun watching the cops get hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

A new translation by a group called dogpark is out. Anyone know anything about them? On an extremely cursory glance it seems to read a bit more organically, but that doesn't mean its a good translation.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I expect nothing but the best of taste in my manga where people lick toilets and drink piss.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

But Jojo, you are the Dios
And then, Jojo was a social climber

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I was going to re-read/finish Jojolion in preparation for this, but decided to read this anyway.

This is already much better than the first few chapters of Jojolion, and it might be the translation I read, but there's far less over-explaining, random bolding, and other Araki-isms.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'm glad the protagonist has a clearly defined goal from the get-go and he knows what he has to do to get it. I just wasn't invested in the Locacaca poo poo. It was a far less compelling plotline than the mystery of Gappy's identity.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lih posted:

it's very tasteless for that to be how it's revealed to the audience that dragona is trans! not really unexpected for araki though unfortunately, it's pretty in line with his previous issues with sexual violence

to be honest, it's probably just the years of other poo poo in media that makes me think the way i do, but i'll gladly take a character getting treated like they're owed respect and having their brother immediately throw the gently caress down to ice a couple of cops about it to save them all while they're portrayed as just a normal person, any day, over other series or whatever with like weaselly handwringing where an author will just introduce some vaguely gender-nonconforming character and use them as the butt of jokes every so often before shuffling them off the stage.

the situation in this first chapter is something that happens literally all the time to people like me, and i'm insanely glad it's treated as unambiguously a bad thing and that the person receiving it didn't deserve it or have it be some weird joke which commonly ends up being the case. like i'm ultimately not speaking for the trans community at large, because absolutely no individual member does, but so far this has come off way better to me than another author creating another shitstorm because they're unwilling to commit to anything of value in regards to a character and instead just treat people like me like freaks all while sneering weirdos waffle on about how 'japan has different cultural values'. i'll take some vaguely confused ambiguity about pronouns for a character who is at least treated like they're human at the moment over another round of universally bad bullshit.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I cant figure out what color they are supposed to be, especially since the cop is pointing out his own color, so this is hard to comment on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I suspect their father was indigenous, whether Hawai'ian or a continental Native.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

I suspect their father was indigenous, whether Hawai'ian or a continental Native.
That's been my assumption as well. I wonder if we'll ever find out, or if he's gonna be absent and mostly unmentioned like so many other jojo dads

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
It's a Noriaki and Jodio will draw them into their gang

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Joke Miriam posted:

A new translation by a group called dogpark is out. Anyone know anything about them? On an extremely cursory glance it seems to read a bit more organically, but that doesn't mean its a good translation.

They did their own translation of Jojolion so they're known. They're basically the accuracy of Hi Wa Mata Noboru but with more character and without the elooooongated vowels. Need More Yankiis did a really fun translation and it's probably my favorite of this bunch but it's clear it has some mistranslations (mostly on page 54, oddly), so if both groups keep translating I'll probably read both.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 17, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lamebot posted:

There's either going to a Higashikata or Rock Human in that house. Maybe even both!

I'm feeling pretty sure it's gonna be a Higashikata. Especially since it was established they holiday in Hawaii regularly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Joke Miriam posted:

I think their Jojolion translation was fine. I think the general consensus is that Dogpark tends to be less literal and more localized and natural in dialogue while the other one tends to stick a more stiffly to a literal translation. So based on the previous series, it mostly comes down to who's phrasing you prefer specifically.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Kewl will get upset and quit if Dogpark starts sniping chapters, hope there’s no scene drama in the future

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Next chapter Jodio is given Miracle Man and thus achieves his dream to be filthy rich.

JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE PART 9 THE JOJOLANDS: [END]

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's really cool to have a Joestar with a stand using sibling, I love that so much already. Jodio addressing the audience so much and so directly is a really cool change and it felt like we got introduced and up to speed super fast.

JoJolions biggest weakness was we never got a solid through line for it. He just kept introducing new possible through lines that ended up just being a bunch of plot silos he never really connected together very well. Gappy's identity, the magical fruit, Joban, the rock people, the wall eye stuff all felt like we were getting some major skeleton to the story but they never really came together. Whereas SBR was godly and felt like him redeveloping and redoing his classic road trip parts in new ways, JJL felt like an inferior version of 4 in every way.

JoJolands feels like Part 5 like a bunch of people mentioned and I'm pretty hopeful he's going to have a lot of fun with it. Curious if we'll be getting a bunch of heists (fun) or it'll be a betrayed and have to take over the criminal org themselves setup more similar to 5. Immediately getting hype when it's a Japanese guy who has arrived on the island.

November Rain has to be the weirdest looking main character stand. Not sure what to make of its abilities yet. The most fun JoJo abilities are the simplest imo. Josuke's was simple in concept and powerful but he used it in a lot of clever ways. Jolyne's is the gold standard there I think. I liked Giorno a lot and his fights could be cool but giving life to stuff was just too like Hamon in being able to do basically anything which kind of killed it feeling actually creative to solve things imo. I felt like that about Soft and Wet a lot of the time too. I do like the idea of it getting different forms like tusk did as it grows though. Seems insane not to have a JoJo be at all capable of a punch rush.

Jodio is so funny and such a poo poo that I'd be fine if he's just cocky as hell the whole story, and he might well be considering the framing of it being about how he becomes filthy rich. I'd prefer though if he got a character arc. SBR is easily my favourite part and a significant element of what makes it so good is Johnny has a really rewarding character arc throughout. Gyro too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also lol as always that Araki was like "these nazis are fun guys! We love you mark!" but every single cop is an absolute demon who deserves no mercy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The whole "this is the story of how I became filthy rich" reminds me a lot of SBR's "this is the story of how I learned to walk". Though obviously the vibes are very different.

I should check back with Part 5 to see if Giorno's dream was presented in the same way.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lol at Araki opening the part by citing himself in his own manga as an expert on himself. That’s “It came to me in a dream” levels of Chad energy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Lol at Araki opening the part by citing himself in his own manga as an expert on himself. That’s “It came to me in a dream” levels of Chad energy.

Reading that opening monologue like

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

galagazombie posted:

No, it was Rohan that said it

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Seems insane not to have a JoJo be at all capable of a punch rush.
Okay, but if Jodio somehow pins down a dude with November Rain and rapid-fire pummels them with his own two fists, I'm gonna flip out.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That's called a Hawaiian Punch

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

We don't even know what it actually does, and let's be honest it's probably going to do something different by the time we're halfway through

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat, this part is already off to a much better start than JJL.

Smooth Operators is such a cool loving stand, I cannot wait to see more of it. The potential is just insane.

I love the siblings already, very excited to see more of their shenanigans.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

Okay, but if Jodio somehow pins down a dude with November Rain and rapid-fire pummels them with his own two fists, I'm gonna flip out.

That would be badass

bobjr posted:

That's called a Hawaiian Punch

Lol

Yinlock posted:

We don't even know what it actually does, and let's be honest it's probably going to do something different by the time we're halfway through

Yeah I’m guessing it’s power isn’t just another vitamin c

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

this rules

finding out about 'kono Jodio ga' has me even more psyched

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yinlock posted:

There's even a possibility that we never see that weird droplets thing again

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Giorno’s reflective damage and hyper perception moves ftw

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm feeling pretty sure it's gonna be a Higashikata. Especially since it was established they holiday in Hawaii regularly.

Oh man, what if the first enemy is actually an old ally? We've never really had a returning character be framed as a villain for the new part's cast to fight, it'd be a really cool setup.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hoping we get this scene when they start robbing Joshu

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Tsurugi, and the heist turns into hallucination nightmare mansion

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Okay, but think this part is supposed to be a mirror of part 5, and who appears at the beginning of part 5? Mr. Hirose.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how Araki made the Joestar family tree more expansive this time around to avoid the weird backfills he had to do for Josuke and Giorno and still went ahead and gave Holly a sister that wasn't mentioned nor on the family tree we saw in Jojolion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God, just saying "Part 9" feels so weird

But here we are. New horizons!

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
What if instead of 9 it was ⑨?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The gang is gonna get right up to the diamond and then they hear a voice

"ah it seems you're pursuing the diamond."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
One chapter in and we've got our first Araki Forgot.

I was looking at Jodio's outfit to plan out a cosplay, and was curious what the back of it looked like.

Usually it's drawn open, like so:

BUT THEN RANDOMLY IN SOME OF THE BACK SHOTS, HE HAS THESE SUSPENDERS?

Okay not really Araki Forgot, almost certainly just a small detail change that happened midway through chapter drawing, and next month it'll probably be consistent. Or maybe Araki just doesn't care / couldn't decide lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Burn continuity to the ground. Canon is s concept invented by the pope to sell Bibles.